do not read uk papers

KIRK AND CO

If you are under the illusion that uk is down & out then you are so wrong. I have just been on a dinner lecture with 50 professional people all doing above expectation plus are driving £30,000 plus cars around. There is money here to have just knowing where to find it.

Guest Guest26012

Good to hear, and I mean that! Never been against the uk and its nice to hear some good news! Get ready for the fallout lol!

Im glad you're getting on well, i really am. Of course there is people still managing to go about their lifes unaffected by the doom and gloom.

But....A) there is a lot of us in Oz who left UK recently so know exactly whats going on, like us OH and myself in what would be classed as good steady jobs, both earning decent money but having it drip thru our fingers paying out on high fuel, high energy bills, losing tax allowances, plus the fact that people are on a downer, the weather not helping.

B) There are people here who would have left while the UK was in its so called thriving stage, they still wanted to go.

Sometimes people just fancy a change, for others money doesnt matter. People can be happy in the UK and they can be happy elsewhere.

If you are under the illusion that uk is down & out then you are so wrong. I have just been on a dinner lecture with 50 professional people all doing above expectation plus are driving £30,000 plus cars around. There is money here to have just knowing where to find it.

Thanks for your post kirk .........heres another for you all ............i dont come on here and bulls.it .....i try to keep it real .

I have just been talking to a high end bedroom furniture retailer in coventry ......i had to pick up some keys .

If you are not aware Coventry isnt exactly las vegas ...............

I asked him how business was going .......after xmas ......expecting the worst .

This bedroom furniture starts at 4k ......in coventry ......with b&q ......wickes .....homebase all local .

struggling right ?.......not a bit of it .......orders are well up on last year .........things just dont follow a pattern anymore in the u.k

Guest guest79615

Thats nice, maybe they could pay the young people just out of school and uni who cant get jobs to wash their cars for them. I think depending on who your circle is will shape your wider view of the country, i tend to think their is lots of jobs if you want them and things are affordable if your not silly but occasionally when i go meet other friends and family who live quite a bit away from me, i realize thats not true.

And your point is,.........................I ask, because I am one of those shallow people that moved to OZ because of the weather.

Guest chris955

You dont have to read the papers, you only have to come on here and there are plenty that are too happy to tell you just how bad everything is in the UK ;)

Glad to hear the pyramid selling schemes are alive and kicking ;)

This was posted in the Moving back to the UK forum so I believe was aimed at reassuring people returning that it isn't all bad news and for that thanks, it does feel like madness sometimes! There are two people I know from this forum who returned at the end of last year and both got jobs pretty much straight away, not high flying professionals but not car washers either - normal everyday jobs that pay reasonably well.

I happened to be researching the job market for my field in Edinburgh, I have talked to all my contacts and no-one has been out of work but I wanted to see what the current vacancies/pay rates for like - for me there are more openings in Edinburgh than in Perth right now and the 'exchange rate' is about 0.50 - so yes, I'd be earning a bit less in Edinburgh but house prices are significantly less in the areas I'd be happy to live (I live 20km from Perth and happy to do the same in Edinburgh) and overall the everyday cost of living is less (I stayed for two weeks self-catering in July so based on how we live i know this is the case).

There are lots of reasons why people prefer one country over the other but depending on your field of work there is no reason not to return to the UK if you want to.

Did you all sit around a big table and compare who has the best car?
They did not have to talk about money or cars as they are not that type of person I was the only one with the old heap compared to them. I hope that answers your question if that is what the intention was.

Its all area and industry dependent IMO. I know plenty of people who worked in the construction industry... tradesmen such as brickies, joiners, steel fixers etc and professionals such as Engineers and Construction Managers who are really struggling to pick up regular work and really feeling the effects of the economic downturn. I have heard of some well established companies that were related to the infrastructure and construction of new built housing estates that have went bust with 100's of long term employee's losing their jobs so as I say, completely dependent on your industry / profession. I would hardly say that all the UK newspapers have some kind of combined conspiracy to spread doom on its readers. It is tough times in the UK, no doubt about it!

Fair play to your collegues who are crusing about in their nice cars.. Long may it continue for them!

Wow, I though this was a sensible thread about not reading UK papers when in Australia due to making you feel homesick or wanting to get back involved in UK. However no.........

I live in what most would classify a good area where employment is strong and yes I have a good job as does my wife. However UK has lost its way, it is over populated, under resoursed, manufactures very little and generally depends on service products which we are currently quite good at but realy involve very little skill and once we are found out, will be completed much cheaper abroard. The UK has become a consumer where Australia is a producer, maybe not manufacture but is blessed with huge quantities of natural resources which most other countries in the world could only dream of. In addition the UK has huge debts which will never be paid off in my lifetime, USA is bust with China owning most of it debts. The world has changed in the last 5 years, the West has been side stepped and Australasia has taken the lead.

UK is following the failure of USA with some significant differences, Labour sold most of UK's assets to international companies, UK has very little gold or currency reserve and UK population has a consumerist mindset....buy buy buy, credit credit credit.

I cant wait to have a fresh start, work hard, hopefully earn well but most importantly be part of a society who are proud of their counrty.

S

Not tag much work by e....but......where is this doom and gloom? All the people I know are very happy in work or not working, all my friends ar happy and when we go out we ave a great laugh in the cheaper places to drink, the UK is a fun place to live and although some things are tough people know we will come out of it...still the best place in the world to live IMHO.

Archived