do not read uk papers

KIRK AND CO

Wow, I though this was a sensible thread about not reading UK papers when in Australia due to making you feel homesick or wanting to get back involved in UK. However no.........

I live in what most would classify a good area where employment is strong and yes I have a good job as does my wife. However UK has lost its way, it is over populated, under resoursed, manufactures very little and generally depends on service products which we are currently quite good at but realy involve very little skill and once we are found out, will be completed much cheaper abroard. The UK has become a consumer where Australia is a producer, maybe not manufacture but is blessed with huge quantities of natural resources which most other countries in the world could only dream of. In addition the UK has huge debts which will never be paid off in my lifetime, USA is bust with China owning most of it debts. The world has changed in the last 5 years, the West has been side stepped and Australasia has taken the lead.

UK is following the failure of USA with some significant differences, Labour sold most of UK's assets to international companies, UK has very little gold or currency reserve and UK population has a consumerist mindset....buy buy buy, credit credit credit.

I cant wait to have a fresh start, work hard, hopefully earn well but most importantly be part of a society who are proud of their counrty.

S

Honestly, don't think Aussies are any prouder of their country that Brits are of theirs, the media are the doom and gloom merchants, have you worked in oz? If not be in for a big shock, it's hard bloody hard...same shitte different country.

Honestly, don't think Aussies are any prouder of their country that Brits are of theirs, the media are the doom and gloom merchants, have you worked in oz? If not be in for a big shock, it's hard bloody hard...same shitte different country.

Mate you need to get out some more. After all the time spent in the uk. One stand out thing that took me by surprise was the english that talked there own country into the ground. I travelled, went everywhere and heard it all. It was a shame and hopefully will turn around for the better in the near future.

Wow, I though this was a sensible thread about not reading UK papers when in Australia due to making you feel homesick or wanting to get back involved in UK. However no.........

I live in what most would classify a good area where employment is strong and yes I have a good job as does my wife. However UK has lost its way, it is over populated, under resoursed, manufactures very little and generally depends on service products which we are currently quite good at but realy involve very little skill and once we are found out, will be completed much cheaper abroard. The UK has become a consumer where Australia is a producer, maybe not manufacture but is blessed with huge quantities of natural resources which most other countries in the world could only dream of. In addition the UK has huge debts which will never be paid off in my lifetime, USA is bust with China owning most of it debts. The world has changed in the last 5 years, the West has been side stepped and Australasia has taken the lead.

UK is following the failure of USA with some significant differences, Labour sold most of UK's assets to international companies, UK has very little gold or currency reserve and UK population has a consumerist mindset....buy buy buy, credit credit credit.

I cant wait to have a fresh start, work hard, hopefully earn well but most importantly be part of a society who are proud of their counrty.

S

Um, if that is your rationale then perhaps moving to Australia won't be an improvement for you. There really isn't much different there, Australia, like UK, is part of the Western world. Its resource industry is laying off like crazy, as is its manufacturing - it's probably about 5 yrs behind UK but the same trends are there along with a cohort of hopeless Blairwannabees who have pushed the country once more into debt. It's also hard to believe that Australia could be overpopulated but it is - for the current infrastructure and living in the cities as most people do can seem similarly claustrophobic.

as for reading UK papers - I'd say avoid the Daily Fail! I think its agenda is to make its readers shake their heads and mutter "bloody stupid" and "what is the world coming to?" At least 6.4 times per page (observation of my elderly mother assiduously getting her negative view of the world from their scaremongering articles leads me to believe that they succeed - and real life observational data produced for her counts for nought!)

S

I'm afraid a slightly over enhanced assessment of Australia. This country produces very little as most is shipped in from Asia. Australia does have a lot of stuff dug out of the ground, which in turn sees a big return to shareholders abroad. The mining states are doing well for the moment,with different thoughts on the degree of continunity into the future.

In the meantime property is close to being the most inflated in the world and rentals in the mining states at any rate are expensive as well as difficult to obtain.

Sure many folk are doing well at the moment but the cost has been a far more unequal society.The onus from business is for wages to decline in time. How long the so termed boom lasts is anyone's guess. China pulls a lot of the strings for this nation's contunued fortune. This is only likely to increase in many ways as their influence increases ...

I have seen boom/busts in WA before and little suggests to me this is different besides the duration.

The UK certainly has severe problems but personal debt mostly due to inflated housing prices is a worry here as well. We are in a very islolated position here. Asia cannot be assured to always in a place to assure Australia's good fortune through purchasing stuff from the ground..

Mate you need to get out some more. After all the time spent in the uk. One stand out thing that took me by surprise was the english that talked there own country into the ground. I travelled, went everywhere and heard it all. It was a shame and hopefully will turn around for the better in the near future.

The Aussies can whinge ad moan as good as poms, all I heard from Aussies was moaning and groaning about the state of oz and bloody immagrants.

Not tag much work by e....but......where is this doom and gloom? All the people I know are very happy in work or not working, all my friends ar happy and when we go out we ave a great laugh in the cheaper places to drink, the UK is a fun place to live and although some things are tough people know we will come out of it...still the best place in the world to live IMHO.

how can you really be happy if your not working (don't mean retired or rich) or have I read your post wrong

It's the English way. Not always meant to be taken seriously. Remember hearing the song","Fings Aren't Wot They Used To Be"....from way back in the 50s folk complained. Unlikely to change anytime soon hopefully. Would you really prefer a pompous,arrogance the other side of the coin which is also none too hard to find.

how can you really be happy if your not working (don't mean retired or rich) or have I read your post wrong

Back in the eighties and earlier a lot of the youth were very content not grafting or doing minimal and then often lumping it. I don't expect it was solely a London thing,although that's the only place I really know.

I guess with the cost of technology around these days the need to have money is greater...the shoes thing was coming in when I was about to leave...as was the expensive clobber in order to look cool......

Back in the eighties and earlier a lot of the youth were very content not grafting or doing minimal and then often lumping it. I don't expect it was solely a London thing,although that's the only place I really know.

I guess with the cost of technology around these days the need to have money is greater...the shoes thing was coming in when I was about to leave...as was the expensive clobber in order to look cool......

Shoes and expensive clobber isnt my thing. Id rather have money to pay the bills, have a few nights out and see a bit more of the world.

The type of people I like go mx with are the types that are a laugh and upbeat, some f my friends are out of work but ar still in good spirits and full of life, being unemployed does not automatically turn you into a miserable sod.

It's the English way. Not always meant to be taken seriously. Remember hearing the song","Fings Aren't Wot They Used To Be"....from way back in the 50s folk complained. Unlikely to change anytime soon hopefully. Would you really prefer a pompous,arrogance the other side of the coin which is also none too hard to find.[/

Majority of the time yes you can tell it is dead serious, sometimes seemed like they had given up on being patriotic.. I can handle typical whinging poms and no when to not take conversation too serious. I can't remember that song, before my time.

I see you remark about pompous arrogance, and realise where your going with it.I think you will find that's more a case of a country of emigrants that's has made a life and home for themselves making people proud of what they have achieved through there families emigrating. It's one of the things I do appreciate about Australia, It's patriotism and people so proud of everything Australia and will defend there country, no matter where there originally from.

It's the English way. Not always meant to be taken seriously. Remember hearing the song","Fings Aren't Wot They Used To Be"....from way back in the 50s folk complained. Unlikely to change anytime soon hopefully. Would you really prefer a pompous,arrogance the other side of the coin which is also none too hard to find.[/

Majority of the time yes you can tell it is dead serious, sometimes seemed like they had given up on being patriotic.. I can handle typical whinging poms and no when to not take conversation too serious. I can't remember that song, before my time.

I see you remark about pompous arrogance, and realise where your going with it.I think you will find that's more a case of a country of emigrants that's has made a life and home for themselves making people proud of what they have achieved through there families emigrating. It's one of the things I do appreciate about Australia, It's patriotism and people so proud of everything Australia and will defend there country, no matter where there originally from.

At times over done in Australia with more critique perhaps aquiring better results. Not a fan of the American style of patriotism at all. The word, everything Australian is where we disagree here. Of course Australia is far from alone in folk no matter where from willing to stand up for the country. One just has to look at the racial make up of the armed forces of, Britain, Canada, France all great immigrant countries to see this as fact.

The song was before my time as well but is well known. The singer dies recently(name escapes me) I lived in both countries foe very long periods and still think with the Brits they come in many forms. You may perhaps not want to meet someone that calls themselves a real patriot in Britain.....can be a forceful lot shall we say. Usually ok with Aussies though...Complaining is a quaint way of English life. On the other hand you have folk,far too well mannered to complain about anything at all.

Britain is a very multi dimensional society.....something I love dearly about it.

Theres no way to make a difinitive conclusion on wether its ok or not here. As someone else said, its dependant on what your circumstances are.

if you work in Jessops, HMV or Blockbusters, i doubt youll be whooping in the aisles right now. Honda workers very uncertain.

on the other hand, oil and gas industry is recruiting JaguarLandRover doing really well right now adding thousands of jobs, im sure theres other industries that are expanding. but unless you do something in demand, then you might need to retrain. O&G companies recruiting alot of tradesman who have done their access and safety courses. or straight off.

but there are also huge regional variation and you have to willing to relocate/commute if you can to get the job sometimes i have a 120 mile round trip every day, and that often the curse here in Scotland.

Debating it doesnt really change anything or refute any of that!

The type of people I like go mx with are the types that are a laugh and upbeat, some f my friends are out of work but ar still in good spirits and full of life, being unemployed does not automatically turn you into a miserable sod.

Not "outwardly" maybe,but it does in reality/your own world,it badly hurts your pride,and i know pride's a sin etc etc!!!,but if yer old school,its your job to bring the £ home,if yer not,it hurts,and it makes yer feel doubly worse if yer partners getting up at 7 a.m to go to work,and you're not,100% on that

#Before any Suffragettes chain themselves to me,i've never got a dishcloth or hoover out of my hand:wubclub:!,i just mean old school in a different way than the "sexist" version of it":animal-pig::biggrin:

Not "outwardly" maybe,but it does in reality/your own world,it badly hurts your pride,and i know pride's a sin etc etc!!!,but if yer old school,its your job to bring the £ home,if yer not,it hurts,and it makes yer feel doubly worse if yer partners getting up at 7 a.m to go to work,and you're not,100% on that

#Before any Suffragettes chain themselves to me,i've never got a dishcloth or hoover out of my hand:wubclub:!,i just mean old school in a different way than the "sexist" version of it":animal-pig::biggrin:

I know what you mean. You dont even have to be old school to feel like that. It makes me feel like crap that dave works full time and has all his life and that he has to pay all the bills. I can only help a little bit.

Ive told him when ive hopefully got a good job in the future then he can have a year off and be a house husband lol

I know what you mean. You dont even have to be old school to feel like that. It makes me feel like crap that dave works full time and has all his life and that he has to pay all the bills. I can only help a little bit.

Ive told him when ive hopefully got a good job in the future then he can have a year off and be a house husband lol

You've tried your arse off trying to get work Dimples,worked for minimum wage as well,so im certain Dave knows yer a tryer,you'll be ok in the end with your attitude,might take a bit longer than ideal,but you will sort it in the end,you've got plenty of time

You've tried your arse off trying to get work Dimples,worked for minimum wage as well,so im certain Dave knows yer a tryer,you'll be ok in the end with your attitude,might take a bit longer than ideal,but you will sort it in the end,you've got plenty of time

Its the minimum wage jobs that i cant even get lol. Seriously going to move area if i dont get into college. The problem is most of the places in england that have lower unemployment have much higher housing costs than where im from.

Better put a lottery ticket on this week lol

Archived