Who has retrained?

McFisher

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomorrow I start MHNursing :rolleyes:... ummed & aahed over it for 3 years now- too many applicants to even get through the last 2 years & then thought god if I start this now when my daughter's so close to PR it'll set me back. Then thought again, as the work I'll be able to get over there will recoup the cost of my Parent visa much more quickly than any other job. Hoping to get the course cut a bit short for RPL previous degree but it's taken weeks so far & not much progress...just wish it was 2 years rather than 3 !! good luck to everyone going through the process of replanning their life here to meet the demands of the new one !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I start my access to health in September also, and i'm really looking forward to it. Not sure if I want to do childrens nursing or dietician, don't know if a dietician is sought after much in oz. I am 34 so I will be 38 when I qualify (if I get into uni first time!!) :daydreaming: I can't wait and wish I had done this earlier. Ah well, good luck everyone we will all be helping each other on the access course ha ha!!

Hi all, I start my access to health in September also, and i'm really looking forward to it. Not sure if I want to do childrens nursing or dietician, don't know if a dietician is sought after much in oz. I am 34 so I will be 38 when I qualify (if I get into uni first time!!) :daydreaming: I can't wait and wish I had done this earlier. Ah well, good luck everyone we will all be helping each other on the access course ha ha!!

If you are looking for a course to give qualifications to get to Australia, I wouldnt choose Dietitian, it is on CSOL and requires state nomination or employer sponsorship. Considering Australian newly qualified dietitians cant find work, it would be a risky strategy, also there was word that it would be removed from the CSOL.

Would stick to nursing.

• 2 weeks later...

I've received an offer from Huddersfield uni to start podiatry this September. I'm 31 now and have a 6 year plan whereby at the end of year 6 I will be on my way :-)

This isn't the only reason for choosing podiatry, it all just kind of pieced itself together at the right time (well, maybe 10 years late lol). I cannot wait to help people, and to be a part of their day, and finally get our of accounts payable offices!!

Hoping to be on my plane with a one way ticket in 2019, about September x might start a blog to see how it pans out xx

Good luck everyone x

Hi,

Just wondering if many people have retrained just so they can get in to Australia.

I am looking to retrain as a nurse, so will be a few years before im going anywhere. Even if for whatever reason we dont get to emigrate i will have got out of an office and doing a 'proper' job.

x

Retraining as a nurse would probably be about the best option for moving anywhere. When we came out it took me 5 months to get a job. My wife, a nurse, rang Royal Perth after being here a week, was invited in for "a chat" the following week and came out having had an interview, measured up for her uniform and started work the following week. She's never been out of work the whole time I've known her. She has also qualified as a midwife and a Health Visitor.

Hello

Im looking to retrain to become part of the 'midwifery' team. Im currently looking at access courses to help me gain a place to do higher qualifications needed. Does oz hospitals have jobs such as Maternity support workers/maternity care assistants? if they do what qualifications are you expected to have? My plan is to become a Maternity support worker with the view to move up to midwife in time

thanks

Lynsey

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I will be a qualified level 3 hairdresser in June (chose to do this to get to Oz) though after much research I am looking to now train as a Midwife, (starting the access course in September), as hairdressing wages are poor. I'm 32 now so hope to be making the move when I'm 37/38. My hubby and I have done our 5 year plan, something to work towards.

Good luck with your plans xx

Hi.

I will be a qualified level 3 hairdresser in June (chose to do this to get to Oz) though after much research I am looking to now train as a Midwife, (starting the access course in September), as hairdressing wages are poor. I'm 32 now so hope to be making the move when I'm 37/38. My hubby and I have done our 5 year plan, something to work towards.

Good luck with your plans xx

Hi I've just got a job working as a maternity support worker so one step closer!! I'm no longer doing an access course due to get a job and they will train me. Hoping can move to midwife training also on the job. I'm still searching for the same job title in oz???

• 1 month later...

Thats fair enough lol. I only heard back from one place, waiting to see if im intervied for the test before interview. I didnt hear from them for ages so i rang up to check they had got my application. He said there were 200 applicants to deal with before me, i keep hoping he said 20 but im 90% sure he said 200. I dont know about England but in scotland its so competitive at the moment, everybody wants to go to college and uni

Was this the queue for Access? omg- looks like you have a long wait:( ...do you have alternative places you can apply to? or can you start learning online ? (have you thought of TAFE online? since Aus employers like TAFE Cert 4 quals- just a thought- if you could get a practical placement to run alongside it...I know it costs but might be worth a look)

Yeah thats the access course, i applied for other courses aswell but havent heard anything back. Im tempted to ring back to find out wether it was 20 or 200 but they might think im a nutter! I should hear from them in the next few weeks apparently.

I've had a look at online courses, i've found two but they are expensive, one was working out at least a grand and that had to be paid straightaway, dont think you could pay it in installments. I just dont have that kind of money to spend. I dont want to do tafe's or anything like that because i want to go to uni here

So just have to hope i get in this year. Otherwise try again next year. Guess its not the end of the world!

fair enough yeah- a girl with a plan! do ring them again though- you don't have to admit who you are- just ask how many applied & what's the waiting list like-without giving your name ...& ask if they can run an extra course if there were so many applicants. I wouldn't have the patience to wait weeks wondering...I'd be ringing my MP saying "have you seen the demand for this course? let's have bigger classes/more courses please" :laugh:

scottishstacey I'm not sure of your circumstances but could you not apply for OU? When I did there courses I didn't have to pay for them? My DH has been studying with them since 2008 and has only just started paying as he will take longer than 6 years to qualify?

Their courses are pretty well recognised by unis.

I had a look at OU, their healthcare courses seem to be only for people who have a healthcare employer who will "sponsor" them through it. There was other short courses but that doesnt seem to be enough for uni, its more just a taster course (i think anyway)

The problem for me is that I need a course that includes maths because i dont have that qualification at all. So the only course i can really do is the access. I dont think the distance learning ones include that either.

Theres much more access courses in england than scotland but that would obviously mean moving and your funding is all different to ours, i was told my fees might be free but i wouldnt be entitled to any other help, which would mean running a house on a part time job aswell as a access course.. Just not a option right now.

So just keep your fingers crossed that i get into my glasgow college or hear back from some of the other courses, i'll ring the others on monday morning

Actually i'll double check with the uni's about the OU, maybe they would take a few of the short courses if i did the "understanding maths" one aswell, the entry requirements seem to be slightly different for us mature students. I've also been considering doing highers and intermediate 2's again but i think the access course would be better preparation for uni

I have not read all 8 pages of this thread, so if this has been asked already, I apologise.

Anyway, what age do people think is too old to be retraining?

I imagine for the purposes of obtaining an Australian visa, anything past 40 (maybe younger?) would be too old. You would also, no doubt, have to sacrafice a lot on your salary having to start from the bottom again. In general, I would advise anyone over 30 not to retrain if they can help it. I speak from experience here, because you are wasting a lot of earning potential which you have built up over the years, and then competing with people generally younger in a market which tends to discriminate in favour of youth.

Archived