Who has retrained?

McFisher

I realize now my post might have sounded off-putting. Me and my husband are both nurses. It`s the most stable profession that I know, you will always be able to find a job. We`ve lived in several countries and we always found job right away. There is endless variety to nursing, you can stay at bedside or you can do nursing education, research. You can advance your degree and become APN. Some patients you meet you`ll never forget ( in a good sense).

Good luck with your studies:wubclub:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

make sure you are in a nursing program that will be later accepted by australian AHPRA . The fact that it`s a distance education would put me on guard but it could be perfectly fine, just be sure about it before you invest your time and money.

Have you considered volunteering at a hospital to get a feel for the environment and see if nursing is right for you? You might appreciate the office job yet:wink: . It`s a very rewarding career but it`s physically and mentally demanding, you get exposed to viruses and bacterias you never knew existed plus possibly infectious body fluids and other harmful substances ( chemotherapy drugs, radiation).

Me and my colleagues had to take a shower at work occasionally, after being blasted with vomit, blood or stool ( I work in the ER , maybe other units won`t be so dramatic?)

Hi, thanks for your response. The dstance learning is just so i can get in to uni to the proper nursing course. I dont have the required GCSE's to get into uni, so this is an access to learning pathway that will give me the necessary qualification. x

I realize now my post might have sounded off-putting. Me and my husband are both nurses. It`s the most stable profession that I know, you will always be able to find a job. We`ve lived in several countries and we always found job right away. There is endless variety to nursing, you can stay at bedside or you can do nursing education, research. You can advance your degree and become APN. Some patients you meet you`ll never forget ( in a good sense).

Good luck with your studies:wubclub:

Yes it is rather off putting, for some.

I want to hopefully get into forensic nursing, this sounds so interesting, and rewarding also. Perhaps working with rape & abuse victims. This is something i know i will have to work up to, im sure i will have to pay my dues until such time. x

Hi,

I 'technically' haven't retrained, but I've just finished my Paramedic degree through the OU whilst working for the Ambo service, it was bloody hard going, going back into education at 28 with children, but definately worth it.

St. Johns Ambo service in WA accept UK Paramedics and we only have to do a 3 week conversion course when over there to get upto date with their drugs etc.

So defo something worth looking into.

Mel x

I dont know if nursing is the only thing you want to do but if you want then look into occupational therapy aswell (just a suggestion). I hadnt really heard of it untill i said on here i was seriously considering nursing and someone told me to look into other allied health occupations.

Theres so much to it, all different places you can work. They have forensic aswell

It seems really rewarding too and the hours arent as bad, you apparently have more chance to pick your hours

Yup we have , myself and hub we're featured on Fridays wanted down under prog , I retrained as a hairdresser (no longer on list ) and my hub as an electrician , just building up the required work exp . Have done 3 years out of the required 5 minimum

tx

I remember seeing yours and was wondering who told you it was no longer on the list - Hairdresser is on CSOL, therefore you need state sponsorship and WA are still sponsoring Hairdressers. Therefore 190 PR would still have been option.

So are ACT, NT

14 years ago I worked in IT sales. We looked into getting a PR visa and I could under "Technical Sales (not elsewhere classified)" but never did anything about it. This classification doesn't exist anymore. 10 years ago both my wife and I jacked in our jobs and went travelling and on returning decided to retrain as a plumber/ CH engineer as meant we could live anywhere in UK (or Oz). It took 9 years to get the visa (get qualified then build up post qual experience before applying). Got SS PR last August .

Gaunty

I remember seeing yours and was wondering who told you it was no longer on the list - Hairdresser is on CSOL, therefore you need state sponsorship and WA are still sponsoring Hairdressers. Therefore 190 PR would still have been option.

So are ACT, NT

The only thing with this is I've only been working full time as a hairdresser /salon manager for a cpl of months , so I'd have to work on my work experience , can't seam to find a clear answer on how much work exp is needed , but I guess it will be inbetween 3 and 5 yrs , I'm 36 now and by 40 I'll points will drop so much we won't be able to get in , xxxx

I to decided to retrain as a nurse after the prospect of emigrating to Oz gave me the much needed 'kick up the a***'.

Having completed almost 2 years of my 3yr degree and starting to get really down with all the negative comments from the other nurses "don't know why you are bothering as there is no jobs" we have decided to go out to Oz on a student visa and complete my degree there. Having spoken to several universities in Perth/Adelaide /Queensland they are all willing to give RPL for an advanced standing.

Aswell as applying for the Batchelor of nursing (3yr degree) I have applied for the combined Batchelor of nursing/midwifery (4yr degres) as midwifery is really what I want to do but extremely hard to get onto the courses here in Scotland.

The downside is I will be paying full fees as an international student for 2yrs (nursing) possibly 3yrs (nursing/midwifery). Luckily we own our own home outright so are in a position to release a large amount of equity to cover my uni fees and kids school fees. The income from renting our house along with OH's pension will give us approx $3000 a month for food/transport/elec/telephone/internet.

We could stay here whilst I complete my degree but feel that completing in Oz would give a much better chance of finding work in Oz as a new graduate.

I came back from OZ in 2008 after living there for 2 years. I know I had no way of staying and looked at re-training. I started an access course in Nursing in 2009 with a guaranteed place on completion, with all graded B or above, at Uni. I'm on the home stretch now, will qualify in Aug. I was lucky that I had a guaranteed place, the application ratio is 5 applicants to 1 place. I would be wary of distance learning access courses for a couple of reasons: just because it’s a qualification recognized by the universities, doesn't mean they'll accept it and you don’t have much support. They might tell you you have access to a tutor all the time but you need peer support too, especially being an adult learner.

At my university, the entry qualifications are:

Higher: BBC

A-Level: BC

ILC: BBCC (Honours)

Essential Subjects Higher English and Math’s at least Standard Grade 2 Int 2 or equivalent. GCSE English at B and GCSE Math’s at C

Recommended Subjects: A science subject

Additional Requirements: All applicants must satisfactorily pass a health screen and a criminal record check. A current employer or academic reference must be supplied. There should be evidence of assessed study within the last 3 years.

If a lot of applicants have more than the minimum (which most do) and they are normally picked for a place first. Just because you have the minimum they are looking for, doesn't mean you'll get offered a place.

The access course I did, less than half the course went onto Uni and a fraction now remains in our 3rd year. The access is not an easy course, it’s harder than the 1st year of your degree.

If I was you, I would contact your university and take advice direct from them. They will realistically tell you what they want.

If anyone wants further info on where I did my access/uni course PM me

Good luck

Hi jenniferoz,

Unfortunately im not in a position to do much else other than the Access to Nursing distance learning. I have to remain in work for the next 2 years due to commitments. For me, this makes me feel like im at least doing something towards my goals.

I have looked at 2 uni's near me, one is very difficult to get into and does state that they want GCSE's as well as access course, whereas the other doesnt require these.

A friend of mine who is at uni has stated that it shouldnt be too difficult to get into uni due to the uptake being below expectation, because of the high tuition fees.

For me, i will have to cross that bridge when i come to it as i dont really have much option other than to get as much qualifications under my belt.

Once i have done the access course i will be able to apply for volunteer work which i am hoping will stand me in good stead too.

Good luck to you too x

I am also 33 and am retraining as a nurse to go to australia lol.

I am in the middle of my access course for nursing, I am doing it part time as I work full time. I will then be going to uni in sep 2014.

I just can't wait to get it all done, and be on my way.

I actually have enough points at the moment if I went on family sponsorship but I really want to go on state sponsorship.

Good luck :)

I am enjoying it, there is quite a bit of work but its manageable. It's nice to get back into education tbh get my brain working :D

Yeah! My brain is permanently sleeping these days lol. Ive applied for higher health care course and im just about to apply for access to nursing too. Got a letter saying they would be in touch, hope i get a interview

Fingers crossed you get an interview, do they do a test in numeracy and literacy for the access course you have applied for? The test is more nerve wracking than the interview is :D

The course description didnt mention anything about that, maybe they'll tell me if i get a interview. Ive heard access to nursing courses need the test but the healthcare one didnt mention it.

I want to do occupational therapy or mental health nursing. i'll be gutted if i dont get a interview! So many applicants though

All they really want is determination, and someone who will complete the course.

I didn't get on my course initially, I totally messed up the tests. What worked for me was, I rang them, pestered them, I went to a summer school for the course. I went for a reassessment to recognise my weaknesses (there weren't any, I scored perfectly) as long as you show to them that you want the course more than anything else in the world, you should be ok :)

really hope you get accepted on at least one of them :D

Hi Pandaspot,

You are me but 1 year ahead!!!

Where are you doing your access course? Mine is distance learning as i need to still work full time. I'm sure i'm going to find it hard but should be worth it. I dont need to do a test or an interview, but i am paying for it, so i imagine that as long as im ok to pay they are ok to let me do the course.

Good Luck with everything.

I'm not really re-training, more just training.

I did my access course last year and started my Podiatry degree in September. I'm really, really lucky that Podiatry is (currently) on the SOL. But I really wanted to be a Podiatrist before I found out it was.

Good luck to all of you doing the access courses, they are effing hard work and I nearly quit mine. I'm so glad I didn't though. Absolutely loving my first year of Podiatry! If I can offer anyone any advice, just shout! I didn't realise there were so many PIOers doing access to healthcare courses!

It will totally be worth it in the end. :-) xx

I'm not really re-training, more just training.

I did my access course last year and started my Podiatry degree in September. I'm really, really lucky that Podiatry is (currently) on the SOL. But I really wanted to be a Podiatrist before I found out it was.

Good luck to all of you doing the access courses, they are effing hard work and I nearly quit mine. I'm so glad I didn't though. Absolutely loving my first year of Podiatry! If I can offer anyone any advice, just shout! I didn't realise there were so many PIOers doing access to healthcare courses!

It will totally be worth it in the end. :-) xx

We'll all be asking you to help us with our coursework lol. Thats if i get in! X

Hi Pandaspot,

You are me but 1 year ahead!!!

Where are you doing your access course? Mine is distance learning as i need to still work full time. I'm sure i'm going to find it hard but should be worth it. I dont need to do a test or an interview, but i am paying for it, so i imagine that as long as im ok to pay they are ok to let me do the course.

Good Luck with everything.

i do mine at a local college, the uni I want to go to doesnt except distance learning access course unless you do the open university one. My course is 2 years part time twice a week in the evenings. I also pay for mine, but there are loads of applicants, think there was over 500 for it this year and only 60 places. Have you checked your uni will accept distance learning qualifications? Where are you hoping to go?

Leeds want GCSE's still, along with the higher learning qualification (apparently leeds is a very hard uni to get into anyway). Bradford dont require the GCSE's aswell, so i think i will go for Bradford (wouldnt be my first choice but needs must).

However these may change for the better or worse. Apparently because tuition fees have gone up so much, they havent had as many applicants, so by the time im ready to apply they may change their requirements.

All the above is just like the skills list, until you are ready to apply, uni or visa, you have no idea wether you are ok or not....

Archived