Who has retrained?

McFisher

Hi,

Just wondering if many people have retrained just so they can get in to Australia.

I am looking to retrain as a nurse, so will be a few years before im going anywhere. Even if for whatever reason we dont get to emigrate i will have got out of an office and doing a 'proper' job.

x

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be retraining as either a occupational therapist or nurse, i just dont know if it'll be this year

I know what you mean about "decent job", thats how i feel too. Means you can hopefully have a good job even if you come back to the uk.

I think its a great idea! Best of luck. :)

I'll be retraining as either a occupational therapist or nurse, i just dont know if it'll be this year

I know what you mean about "decent job", thats how i feel too. Means you can hopefully have a good job even if you come back to the uk.

I think its a great idea! Best of luck. :)

Thanks Stacey, I will need to do an Access course first as i didnt get all the grades needed to go straight to uni.

Yeah if i dont get to Australia for whatever reason i will have a good job, and not be stuck in an office.

Good luck to you too. Do you have any timescales of when you might get to emigrate? x

Thanks Stacey, I will need to do an Access course first as i didnt get all the grades needed to go straight to uni.

Yeah if i dont get to Australia for whatever reason i will have a good job, and not be stuck in an office.

Good luck to you too. Do you have any timescales of when you might get to emigrate? x

the access courses seem brilliant, that's what I need to do as well. I think uni' s like mature student because of their life experience.

well if I stay here to do it then it' 'll take 5 years for occupational therapy and 4 for nursing. in Scotland it takes 4 years for OT,England is 3 that doesn't include graduate experience afterwards :cry:

the access courses seem brilliant, that's what I need to do as well. I think uni' s like mature student because of their life experience.

well if I stay here to do it then it' 'll take 5 years for occupational therapy and 4 for nursing. in Scotland it takes 4 years for OT,England is 3 that doesn't include graduate experience afterwards :cry:

Seems we are very much in the same boat then. I'm 33 now, so at this rate i will be around 40 when i get the chance to apply to emigrate. So i'm knocking on!!

The Access course im looking at takes 12 months, you do it from home and costs £66 per month. They have quite a few access courses, such as paramedic, physio, midwifery etc. All will help you get into uni if you dont have the grades.

x

Seems we are very much in the same boat then. I'm 33 now, so at this rate i will be around 40 when i get the chance to apply to emigrate. So i'm knocking on!!

The Access course im looking at takes 12 months, you do it from home and costs £66 per month. They have quite a few access courses, such as paramedic, physio, midwifery etc. All will help you get into uni if you dont have the grades.

x

they don't seem to have the same thing in Scotland with distance courses.the access ones are full time. it's a bit of a pain. yeah sounds like we' 're in the same sort of timeline! x

Guest guest30085

x

Hi McFisher

I've not heard of being able to do an access course via distance learning, is it offered by a college/Uni or is it through a private training provider? Just curious :)

Just be sure that your course is acceptable as an equivalent to the entry requirements for the degree course you wish to enter into after.

Im in my 4th year at Uni now, it's hard but it's worth it, just focus on the now rather than thinking it will take so many years. It flies by, I've never known 3/4 years go as quickly. Good luck x

Hi McFisher

I've not heard of being able to do an access course via distance learning, is it offered by a college/Uni or is it through a private training provider? Just curious :)

Just be sure that your course is acceptable as an equivalent to the entry requirements for the degree course you wish to enter into after.

Im in my 4th year at Uni now, it's hard but it's worth it, just focus on the now rather than thinking it will take so many years. It flies by, I've never known 3/4 years go as quickly. Good luck x

Hi,

The company i am doing it through are http://www.distancelearningcentre.com/fees.php

Stating - All our Access Courses are awarded through the Open College Network North West Region (OCNNWR), trading as Open Awards, who are a QAA recognised Access Validating Agency (AVA).

DLC is an approved Centre for delivering OCN (Open College Network) qualifications. Click here to view our Certificate. This means that our courses are accepted by almost all Higher Education Institutions throughout the United Kingdom.

So Stacey, this should be ok for you? definately check it out. Its not necassarily cheap, but if you can still work and do this then could be for you.

I have checked on the University of Leeds website and from what i can see, they do accept this award.

Guest guest30085
Hi,

The company i am doing it through are http://www.distancelearningcentre.com/fees.php

Stating - All our Access Courses are awarded through the Open College Network North West Region (OCNNWR), trading as Open Awards, who are a QAA recognised Access Validating Agency (AVA).

DLC is an approved Centre for delivering OCN (Open College Network) qualifications. Click here to view our Certificate. This means that our courses are accepted by almost all Higher Education Institutions throughout the United Kingdom.

So Stacey, this should be ok for you? definately check it out. Its not necassarily cheap, but if you can still work and do this then could be for you.

I have checked on the University of Leeds website and from what i can see, they do accept this award.

Hi :)

Yes Open College courses are, I have one myself as an A-level equivalent and it was accepted by my Uni.

Good luck with the course :)

Hi everyone, Im 30 years old and currently in second year of a MH degree @ notts uni! Dont let age put you off, I sometimes feel old but I also often feel young. There are a wide range of ages on the course and I think maturity wise the younger ones struggle with the demands of the course and time management.

I hadnt any experience of qualifications to get in and I studied for a year with OU in the evenings and was offered places on the degree at both Uxbridge university and Nottingham Uni. I was offered my place at Notts uni unconditionally and I hadnt even completed my OU course!!! So I think life experience, maturity, etc all show the Universitys we all have something to give!

I retrained to get to Oz, as well as the fact during my preganancy I suffered from depression and couldnt face going into the role I was currently in and one day I woke up and thought Im going for it! I spent 1 year doing the OU courses, Iv 3 years at Uni and then I am finding Ill probably need a minimum of 12 months experience post qualifying before I can get sponsored.

One more thing, dont do it to get out of an office job! I worked in an Admin job for 4 years processing Pensions... I do far more filing and photocopying and form filling now than I ever did! HCAs have the most patient contact as one girl on my course in finding out. She hates paperwork and would rather spend time with the patients and struggles for this reason. Im learning there are ways to increase patient contact as ideally this is what I would like but then there is also a responsibility to attend lots of meetings and filling in paperwork which is confidential in the office! Everything you do or say in my area needs writing up!

PM me if I can help any further!

See you in Oz!

Hi everyone, Im 30 years old and currently in second year of a MH degree @ notts uni! Dont let age put you off, I sometimes feel old but I also often feel young. There are a wide range of ages on the course and I think maturity wise the younger ones struggle with the demands of the course and time management.

I hadnt any experience of qualifications to get in and I studied for a year with OU in the evenings and was offered places on the degree at both Uxbridge university and Nottingham Uni. I was offered my place at Notts uni unconditionally and I hadnt even completed my OU course!!! So I think life experience, maturity, etc all show the Universitys we all have something to give!

I retrained to get to Oz, as well as the fact during my preganancy I suffered from depression and couldnt face going into the role I was currently in and one day I woke up and thought Im going for it! I spent 1 year doing the OU courses, Iv 3 years at Uni and then I am finding Ill probably need a minimum of 12 months experience post qualifying before I can get sponsored.

One more thing, dont do it to get out of an office job! I worked in an Admin job for 4 years processing Pensions... I do far more filing and photocopying and form filling now than I ever did! HCAs have the most patient contact as one girl on my course in finding out. She hates paperwork and would rather spend time with the patients and struggles for this reason. Im learning there are ways to increase patient contact as ideally this is what I would like but then there is also a responsibility to attend lots of meetings and filling in paperwork which is confidential in the office! Everything you do or say in my area needs writing up!

PM me if I can help any further!

See you in Oz!

Thank you for replying. You are a couple of years ahead of me, i could really kick myself for wasting so much time....But the important thing is that i have realised it now and am in a position to change things.

I am excitied for Australia but i am taking it one day at a time knowing i have a long road ahead, but it will be sooooo worth it.

xx

I retrained as a Quantity Surveyor, one year Post-grad course, wish I had done that straight from school rather than my Biomedical/Sports Science degree, but needed one course to get in to the other.

We got our visas through my OH qualifications, but it would have been an occupation that would have worked.

I haven't re-trained yet, but I expect I will have to so I have the option to move to Oz! Just need to decide what direction to head into!

Dont forget you will need at least a couple years experience in that job once you have got your qualifications. x

Im looking at around 7 years, 2 years until i can actually go to uni, then 3 years at uni, then 2 years working...all before i will even think of applying...phew!

Dont forget you will need at least a couple years experience in that job once you have got your qualifications. x

Im looking at around 7 years, 2 years until i can actually go to uni, then 3 years at uni, then 2 years working...all before i will even think of applying...phew!

Sometimes people get visas with only one year postgrad experience. There was a mental health nurse on here who said she only needed one year. I think thats for the PR visa. X

Hi,

Just wondering if many people have retrained just so they can get in to Australia.

I am looking to retrain as a nurse, so will be a few years before im going anywhere. Even if for whatever reason we dont get to emigrate i will have got out of an office and doing a 'proper' job.

x

Yup we have , myself and hub we're featured on Fridays wanted down under prog , I retrained as a hairdresser (no longer on list ) and my hub as an electrician , just building up the required work exp . Have done 3 years out of the required 5 minimum

tx

Depending on the state/employer Iv heard from employers that were willing to sponsor me straight out of Uni but this was after Id emailed around a few months ago. I think with initiative it is possible however I dont want to go for the first job I get offered, Id prefer to gain 12 months experience and have a choice of options.

Also, to McFisher - I must say it has felt at times like our dream was so far off especially when we first started this journey. BUT I have been shocked at how quickly the time has gone, it feels like less than a year ago I made that decision to become a nurse when in fact it was 2 1/2 years ago! Dont give up hope but make sure nursing is for your - its a hard slog and very emotional at times especially dealing with death or working on a unit with a sickness and diarrhea bug! Theres been times Iv nearly quit, times Iv doubted myself etc but also times where Iv felt like the luckiest person alive. Today I visited a patient who was 93 with early signs of dementia, she felt very sad and by the time I left she felt so good about herself as I reminded her of all the things she could do and all the things she's done well in those 93 years. Hopefully I made a difference to her life today and for that reason I love my career.

Yup we have , myself and hub we're featured on Fridays wanted down under prog , I retrained as a hairdresser (no longer on list ) and my hub as an electrician , just building up the required work exp . Have done 3 years out of the required 5 minimum

tx

Hi Fitness Tasha! Must say I loved your hair! Sorry it put me off your show as I have been considering having mine cut and chopped off too...

Im also in a similar position on the 'dad' situation. My kids will be around 11 & 9 when we emigrate in 2 years time and at the moment there dad doesnt want them to go. The kids do, however Im scared of them getting to an age where their friends end up becoming a major concern to them. Did your son always have the 'no' view or did it develop in the 'teenage' years?

tx

Hi, I saw that episode. You came across very well i must say.

That must be so soul destroying retraining only for it to go from the list. But i suppose thats the chance we all take. I'm going to do nursing, im hoping that wont ever go off the list, but you can never say never.

Good luck, hope you get to where you want to be xxx

Hi,

make sure you are in a nursing program that will be later accepted by australian AHPRA . The fact that it`s a distance education would put me on guard but it could be perfectly fine, just be sure about it before you invest your time and money.

Have you considered volunteering at a hospital to get a feel for the environment and see if nursing is right for you? You might appreciate the office job yet:wink: . It`s a very rewarding career but it`s physically and mentally demanding, you get exposed to viruses and bacterias you never knew existed plus possibly infectious body fluids and other harmful substances ( chemotherapy drugs, radiation).

Me and my colleagues had to take a shower at work occasionally, after being blasted with vomit, blood or stool ( I work in the ER , maybe other units won`t be so dramatic?)

Archived