Who has retrained?

McFisher

Yeah the k101 was recommended to me by a uni when I originally didn't get on the access, but I simply couldn't afford it.

Every uni round by me accepts the open uni course.

Yes it's nursing i am doing, just keep contacting the college. The more annoying you are the better lol

Do you have GCSE's and a levels too? Im going to find out if im entitled to any funding with them, if not then i cant really afford it either to be honest. In scotland we have a ILA thing, i think its around 200. Im just waiting to hear from more uni's before i ring the OU to find out.

Mental health nursing is my 2nd choice but occupational therapy is def my first

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I have my gcses and a got an a level in film studies and a Btec in media, was on a slightly different route then. The uni advised me to do k101 as a refresher really cause I was like 10 ucas points shy of the minimum on my current qualifications, but having been out of education for so long I needed some recent education to be accepted.

The best bet for you would probably be an access course as they cover the maths qualification as well. It's not a gcse but its am equivalent. I already have my gcse maths, but it's still compulsory. The maths we do on the course is very simple. Like boringly simple :D

I've just been told that the OU might get me into HNC occupational therapy support course at Glasgow. If i can gain more care experience and pass the OU course. I asked about maths and she said it wasnt really a entry requirement. Although i think we do maths during the course. The HNC can lead to second year at uni apparently.

Just need to gain more care experience. Fingers crossed

Good Luck I really hope you manage to find something... There is always a way and the OU are really supportive. They dont expect you to be a brainy whizz or anything, they understand the stage you are at. Going to uni at my age is so rewarding and I feel I have gained more out of it than if I was younger, I appreciate each lecture, I enjoy my assignments and I dont have to fight a hangover each morning.

I started this path to Oz in 2010 when I realised I really didnt want to go back to my job in finance and its been the quickest 3 years of my life! In another 15 months Ill be a qualified nurse. So many people tried to make me doubt myself, so many people didnt believe we could do it... But with 3 children in tow and a move from Lancashire to Nottinghamshire we have done it successfully.

Keep us up to date and never give up!

Thank you! Ive heard good things about the OU.

I hate maths.. Its the bane of my life lol! They are all so far saying i need it, apparently they dont use maths in OT at all. I just really want to get started.

I emailed the OU to find out if i'll be entitled to any financial help with the course, its around 700 or 800 if i remember correctly. If im accepted then i'll be pestering you for help lol

Good Luck I really hope you manage to find something... There is always a way and the OU are really supportive. They dont expect you to be a brainy whizz or anything, they understand the stage you are at. Going to uni at my age is so rewarding and I feel I have gained more out of it than if I was younger, I appreciate each lecture, I enjoy my assignments and I dont have to fight a hangover each morning.

I started this path to Oz in 2010 when I realised I really didnt want to go back to my job in finance and its been the quickest 3 years of my life! In another 15 months Ill be a qualified nurse. So many people tried to make me doubt myself, so many people didnt believe we could do it... But with 3 children in tow and a move from Lancashire to Nottinghamshire we have done it successfully.

Keep us up to date and never give up!

• 3 weeks later...

I start midwifery in sept, after finishing my access next week. First year of applying too.. I'm amazed but over the moon. Our plan is for me to complete, and do a voluntary placement in my final year with hope of being offered a place at the hospital I volunteer in for the following year. Well that's the dream, lets see how it goes lol.

Hubby is a electrician, but aged 41 so not easy route for us to go, plus he really does want a career change in Oz. Good luck to all starting access in sept, I've loved my access course.

N x

I start midwifery in sept, after finishing my access next week. First year of applying too.. I'm amazed but over the moon. Our plan is for me to complete, and do a voluntary placement in my final year with hope of being offered a place at the hospital I volunteer in for the following year. Well that's the dream, lets see how it goes lol.

Hubby is a electrician, but aged 41 so not easy route for us to go, plus he really does want a career change in Oz. Good luck to all starting access in sept, I've loved my access course.

N x

Thats great, congratulations!! How did you find the access course, thats what im hoping to do aswell

Thats great, congratulations!! How did you find the access course, thats what im hoping to do aswell

Loved access but it was hard at times. Great being back in education and my tutor has been great and supportive.

Good luck, I'm really looking forward to September.

N x

Loved access but it was hard at times. Great being back in education and my tutor has been great and supportive.

Good luck, I'm really looking forward to September.

N x

Good stuff! Sure first year will be great :)

Im not sure if i'll get onto the access course this year, i applied in february and they said id be invited for a test/interview a few weeks ago but still havent heard anything. So might be a year later in my plans x

There's plenty of time. Perhaps give them a call, and nudge them to interview you xx

I already did lol they just said everybody would get letters soon. i thought this was a bit late especially since theres still a test. Im really worried about the maths test, im absolutely rubbish at it. Been trying to practice as much as i can. Just worried i fail! X

I have my visa, activated it in January and now have four years left to make the move. The career that got me into Australia unfortunately is now the career I am desperate to get out of. I have no passion left anymore for midwifery and I am looking to retrain also. But time is now a factor, obviously not for immigration purposes. It's very difficult as I feel trapped in this profession, but I have decided that actions speak louder than words and instead of moaning about it I need to do something about it.......but what to do, now that is the question!

Jen

@SCOTTISH STACEY.

Dundee uni do an online access to uni course - thats how I got into nursing as I didnt have the qualifications either.. They also do a summer school which is full time but you do get £500 at the end of it which they dont advertise. The online course is free if you can give reasons that you didnt excel at school, I spoke nicely to my doc and he very kindly wrote me a letter stating I had problems in my teenage years - this saved me hundreds of pounds! Dundee Uni course is also only 3 years to get your diploma & degree :) . Also there are a few girls who came straight into 2nd year after completing an HNC in healthcare... these girls are also guaranteed a job for a year unlike the rest of us.. Hope that helps x

@SCOTTISH STACEY.

Dundee uni do an online access to uni course - thats how I got into nursing as I didnt have the qualifications either.. They also do a summer school which is full time but you do get £500 at the end of it which they dont advertise. The online course is free if you can give reasons that you didnt excel at school, I spoke nicely to my doc and he very kindly wrote me a letter stating I had problems in my teenage years - this saved me hundreds of pounds! Dundee Uni course is also only 3 years to get your diploma & degree :) . Also there are a few girls who came straight into 2nd year after completing an HNC in healthcare... these girls are also guaranteed a job for a year unlike the rest of us.. Hope that helps x

Ooh i'll check out the online course. I've applied for the access course at cardonald college, also applied to do my standard grades again to get better marks and also maybe do one or two highers.

Im also looking into HNC but they said it was too big a jump for me at the moment, i need to show evidence of recent further study. So if i dont get into the access to HE course then ill do a Open uni course to show further study.

The problem with me is i dont have a maths qualification so no matter what course im going to do it needs to either be included in the course or i have to do it through distance learning x

Archived