When in Rome

PomPrincesses

Have some things shocked or surprised you about Australian way of life ?

We live in a nice area, mix with 99% Australian professionals with a similar out look or so I bloody thought. Went for a playdate at somebody house and witnessed their 2 year old get hit with a wooden spoon for drawing on something, very openly, welts on the child's leg. After I'd picked my jaw up off the floor, made my excuses, went home and googled the Australian stance on this and find it's perfectly acceptable. Obviously we'll be finding new friends but bloody hell.

What's shocked/surprised you ?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Pom Queen

I'm not sure what you mean by welts on legs, are you implying that's abuse? My middle son has welts all over his legs as he is allergic to mozzie bites.

Sadly I have also witnessed instances like this.

While in a Sydney restaurant we watched a mother pull down her young sons pants,bend him over a chair and smack him.We were so shocked we threw money on the table and left.

It does seem to be acceptable here.We have numerous friends who smack their kids quite often.

We did stop being friends with o e family who think its OK to use a belt on their 3 children.Who are all young teenagerx

Guest The Pom Queen
No I haven't. It was so blatant I'm sure kids get walloped back in the UK but I think most would not do it front of other people and not be so "normal" afterwards, I was shaking like a leaf, the hitter was making tea and waving smiling and saying goodbye.

If it was as bad as you make out then surely you would be best making an official call especially if you think the child is being abused. Was it a tap on the hand or did it leave a mark.

Guest chris955
I'm not sure what you mean by welts on legs, are you implying that's abuse? My middle son has welts all over his legs as he is allergic to mozzie bites.

I am assuming that the welts were mentioned along with the hitting with a wooden spoon that one caused the other.

Sadly I have also witnessed instances like this.

While in a Sydney restaurant we watched a mother pull down her young sons pants,bend him over a chair and smack him.We were so shocked we threw money on the table and left.

It does seem to be acceptable here.We have numerous friends who smack their kids quite often.

We did stop being friends with o e family who think its OK to use a belt on their 3 children.Who are all young teenagerx

Times have changed and what you have described, except the smacking, I think falls into the category of not being acceptable any longer.

If it was as bad as you make out then surely you would be best making an official call especially if you think the child is being abused. Was it a tap on the hand or did it leave a mark.

It left welts on his legs, I was actually all for calling the police until we googled and discovered a mother had been interviewed by the police for using a wooden spoon on her child and the matter was not in the public interests and so the matter not pursued.

I know you are horrified, and I agree with you that smacking is not on, however it is not that long since smacking was considered perfectly acceptable in the UK. There are still sections of society in the UK that would argue that smacking is okay. If you think that attitudes in Australia are aften 10 to 20 years behind those in the UK it's not that surprising that some people think it is okay. I don't actually know anyone that thinks it is okay and I do know quite few with children (some of whom are teenagers). I think it's one of those attitudes that is on it's way out but these things take time.

I know you are horrified, and I agree with you that smacking is not on, however it is not that long since smacking was considered perfectly acceptable in the UK. There are still sections of society in the UK that would argue that smacking is okay. If you think that attitudes in Australia are aften 10 to 20 years behind those in the UK it's not that surprising that some people think it is okay. I don't actually know anyone that thinks it is okay and I do know quite few with children (some of whom are teenagers). I think it's one of those attitudes that is on it's way out but these things take time.

There is a difference between a smack and hitting a child with an implement and leaving welts.

but as I said in my first post, what is the full story behind it?

The full story, was the kid was naughty, he was but he is 2.

With regards to smacking, i've seen people get cross, heat of the moment smack across the legs, kid howls, parent looks sheepish everyone gets over it.

To calmly walk to the kitchen to pick up a wooden spoon and hit until it leaves welts and then go back and carry on as if nothing happened whilst your 2 year old screams the place down I thought was psychotic tbh.

With regards to smacking, i've seen people get cross, heat of the moment smack across the legs, kid howls, parent looks sheepish everyone gets over it.

To calmly walk to the kitchen to pick up a wooden spoon and hit until it leaves welts and then go back and carry on as if nothing happened whilst your 2 year old screams the place down I thought was psychotic tbh.

Did you say anything to your friend about it?

Well report it then. Tell your accountand they can tell theirs. Do you know how many times the child was told to stop doing what it was they were doing? Over how many days? How many times did the parent hit the child? My daughter cries at the moment when I tell her no. It's little surprise that this child screamed when hit with a wooden spoon.

Im not for one minute defending this person but its more that 'when in rome' because unless you know the full story and circumstances surrounding it you may well cause lot of grief for someone that doesn't deserve it. But like I said if you really think it was that bad then report it. Just think about the consequences first.

Having been the victim of this myself as a child (by a teacher not a parent,wrote about it on another thread earlier this morning)I think its unacceptable.My kids got time out,stuff took away for a day etc.My kids are grown up and fine!!My daughter is now a mother herself and I have to say she is a good one too!My kids grew up partly in Australia and I witnessed countless public abuses of kids.I've also heard parents calling their little ones names such as "Dickhead","Moron" "Boofhead"and not impressed tbh.And then they wonder why there's movies like Snowtown?????

Well report it then. Tell your accountand they can tell theirs. Do you know how many times the child was told to stop doing what it was they were doing? Over how many days? How many times did the parent hit the child? My daughter cries at the moment when I tell her no. It's little surprise that this child screamed when hit with a wooden spoon.

Im not for one minute defending this person but its more that 'when in rome' because unless you know the full story and circumstances surrounding it you may well cause lot of grief for someone that doesn't deserve it. But like I said if you really think it was that bad then report it. Just think about the consequences first.

From the research i've done online it doesn't seem it'll be taken seriously if I do report it.

What exactly could somebody who's only actually been alive for 24 months have done that's so awful that there is ANY justification whatsoever ? I couldn't say how many times he was hit I wasn't stood there watching otherwise I'd have intervened I think.

Samcking i'd be shocked that educated people still do that, but that it's legally ok with an implement ??? Gob smacked

Why are you shocked that educated people still do that? It takes all sorts. Just because someone has a uni degree or a high paid job doesn't mean they are automatically a great parent 24/7. I've seen crappy parenting in all walks of life to be fair. It may have been they were smacked with a spoon or something themselves as a kid and see nothing wrong in it.

I think coming from the UK, where in more recent times smacking has become more taboo and in some cases legal charges can be brought (and are) we are perhaps more taken aback that a country we considered equal or similar doesn't have the same outlook (or perhaps not to the same degree).

I did read up on the legal aspect in the UK out of interest and found these links. If a child had had that done here in the UK then charges may well have been made against the person (if reported in the first case).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4175905.stm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/children_shealth/8666066/Smacking-children-the-law.html

Guest The Pom Queen
r ? I couldn't say how many times he was hit I wasn't stood there watching otherwise I'd have intervened I think.

But you said you witnessed it?

Guest guest30085

Can I ask why, if you were so disturbed by this incident, you didn't go home and report it, but instead went home and googled the general perception of it in Australia?

Having been the victim of this myself as a child (by a teacher not a parent,wrote about it on another thread earlier this morning)I think its unacceptable.My kids got time out,stuff took away for a day etc.My kids are grown up and fine!!My daughter is now a mother herself and I have to say she is a good one too!My kids grew up partly in Australia and I witnessed countless public abuses of kids.I've also heard parents calling their little ones names such as "Dickhead","Moron" "Boofhead"and not impressed tbh.And then they wonder why there's movies like Snowtown?????

I once heard a guy call his kid (not in Aus) and say 'Come here you little ******' Kid was about 5. Talked to him like he was dirt. I felt so sorry for the kid and was all for turning round and asking the guy if he had been talking to me but they were gone round a corner before I had the chance to. I've also heard Mums yell at kids in pushchairs telling them to 'Shut the **** up' and other things. These are toddlers, being yelled at like that, berated in the street. It happens so quick you often don't get a chance to really react or have the opportunity to do or say anything. Or you can't quite believe what you are seeing/hearing and are unsure quite how to handle it. And so often saying nothing or being inwardly angry or upset is the reaction. Its only later the anger (on the childs behalf) comes out. And then its too late to do anything as the people are gone or you've no way of tracking them down to report them.

Archived