Scottish man sought in viciious glassing attack in St Kilda

Parley

Anyways, Aside from the Aus Vs UK squabbling the attacker got away with the glass attack and was only fined 3000 dollars...

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/breaking-news-blog/3000-fine-for-scotsman-who-glassed-st-kilda-cafe-patron/20130107-2cccn.html

No surprise! I had before on hear how bad the 'justice system' is here in Oz! Never experienced anything like it!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think it's not the same everywhere?

I'm coming for a child related perspective really.. (abuse), and one of my jobs in Oz, was looking at people applying to work with children with child related convictions and the 'punishment' they got for horrific child abuse (would be classes as child abuse in the UK), and it is appalling to see how many people who commit horrific child related crimes just get an AVO or good behaviour bond.

I have worked in the courts in the UK (taking parents to court etc), and done the above so seen the outcome of people who commit child related offences so I can tell you from working in UK and Oz with people who commit child related crimes, that the 'justice system' in Oz is appalling.

Edited by Wellers and Whitehead

I'm coming for a child related perspective really.. (abuse), and one of my jobs in Oz, was looking at people applying to work with children with child related convictions and the 'punishment' they got for horrific child abuse (would be classes as child abuse in the UK), and it is appalling to see how many people who commit horrific child related crimes just get an AVO or good behaviour bond.

I have worked in the courts in the UK (taking parents to court etc), and done the above so seen the outcome of people who commit child related offences so I can tell you from working in UK and Oz with people who commit child related crimes, that the 'justice system' in Oz is appalling.

TBH the justice system in both countries dealing with those issues is appalling. There is no way of dressing it up to make one better than the other. I understand from quite a few of your previous posts that you have a lot of issues with the way things are done in your line of work in Aus and I can't help but think that you banging on about it on an Internet forum helps you situation at all. Anyway just my thoughts.

TBH the justice system in both countries dealing with those issues is appalling. There is no way of dressing it up to make one better than the other. I understand from quite a few of your previous posts that you have a lot of issues with the way things are done in your line of work in Aus and I can't help but think that you banging on about it on an Internet forum helps you situation at all. Anyway just my thoughts.

I read research on child abuse in Oz, and it states that I think it was 43% of people think the rising cost of petrol

/transport is more important than child abuse! And that 1 out of 3 respondents did not see that child abuse was any business of theirs. Maybe you are one of the 1 out of 3, so by me 'banging on' about it, at least i'm making people aware child abuse exists and incidently is rife in Oz!

By 'banging on'about the importance of child protection, I have offered helpful advice for parents migrating to Oz, e.g...ask if you can , your child care provider for the working with children checks for people looking after your children, as employers can employ who they want, do if a working with children check is done and comes back as the person wanting to work with kids is a significant risk it is currently up to the employer if they employ them. I know I wouldn't want my kids if I had them to be cared for by people with a significant risk outcome.

Edited by Wellers and Whitehead

I read research on child abuse in Oz, and it states that I think it was 43% of people think the rising cost of petrol

/transport is more important than child abuse! And that 1 out of 3 respondents did not see that child abuse was any business of theirs. Maybe you are one of the 1 out of 3, so by me 'banging on' about it, at least i'm making people aware child abuse exists and incidently is rife in Oz!

I can tell you that I am not one of those 1 in 3.

And it's rife in Aus is it? How do the numbers compare to elsewhere? And what do you mean by rife? What type of abuse do you refer to? A specific abuse or abuse in general?

Can you find the link for that research? I would genuinely be interested in reading it.

I can tell you that I am not one of those 1 in 3.

And it's rife in Aus is it? How do the numbers compare to elsewhere? And what do you mean by rife? What type of abuse do you refer to? A specific abuse or abuse in general?

Can you find the link for that research? I would genuinely be interested in reading it.

I'm afraid i'm a bit hopeless at doing links (can't do them) but just put in google, child abuse in Oz, the one i'm referring to is done by monarch university I think it was, but lots of other stuff to read.in the UK if you abuse a child it is child abuse (convicted of that), however child abuse i've being told is less severe then assault of a child here in Oz, so in the research it does mention that the actual figure is likely to be 18 times higher than the recorded one, it may be also that people get AVO's and good behaviour bonds so it is not recorded as abuse. Very alarming stuff! Child deaths due to abuse is appalling.

I'm afraid i'm a bit hopeless at doing links (can't do them) but just put in google, child abuse in Oz, the one i'm referring to is done by monarch university I think it was, but lots of other stuff to read.in the UK if you abuse a child it is child abuse (convicted of that), however child abuse i've being told is less severe then assault of a child here in Oz, so in the research it does mention that the actual figure is likely to be 18 times higher than the recorded one, it may be also that people get AVO's and good behaviour bonds so it is not recorded as abuse. Very alarming stuff! Child deaths due to abuse is appalling.

so you at saying that someone can be convicted of assaulting a child, which is worse than child abuse, but as its not child abuse it's not shown on records? So people are still getting convicted of hurting children it is just not recorded, or has a different name than the UK, than child abuse?

so you at saying that someone can be convicted of assaulting a child, which is worse than child abuse, but as its not child abuse it's not shown on records? So people are still getting convicted of hurting children it is just not recorded, or has a different name than the UK, than child abuse?

All the records I have seen were assault against a child, only one case was recorded of child abuse in Oz, but that persons case was dismissed (lack of evidence). Many cases that should have had severe charges (what I would class as sexual/physical abuse) an AVO was granted, so add the research says it is hard to tell the actual figure of abuse in Oz, any common sense would say because of the way it is recorded. (AVO/good behaviour bond)

In the UK if it is child abuse it is classed add child abuse and will state either, physical, sexual, emotional or neglect.

All the records I have seen were assault against a child, only one case was recorded of child abuse in Oz, but that persons case was dismissed (lack of evidence). Many cases that should have had severe charges (what I would class as sexual/physical abuse) an AVO was granted, so add the research says it is hard to tell the actual figure of abuse in Oz, any common sense would say because of the way it is recorded. (AVO/good behaviour bond)

In the UK if it is child abuse it is classed add child abuse and will state either, physical, sexual, emotional or neglect.

Here is one that breaks it down into cacategories

http://www.aifs.gov.au/cfca/pubs/factsheets/a142086/index.html

so it sounds like it may be an issue of the way it is recorded? AVOs are obviously not good if its a serious abuse but if they are say recorded as say assault then you will not see it recorded as child abuse?

Here is one that breaks it down into cacategories

http://www.aifs.gov.au/cfca/pubs/factsheets/a142086/index.html

so it sounds like it may be an issue of the way it is recorded? AVOs are obviously not good if its a serious abuse but if they are say recorded as say assault then you will not see it recorded as child abuse?

have a look at the monarch one, that's very long but easy to read/understand.

He will,its happened to me as a kid,i was back out the next day,sadly theres halfwits everywhere,im sure most right minded people know the scumbag who done this isnt representative of us all from the UK,hope the lad wasnt cut up too much anyway

Don't think much has changed over the years tbh. Remember the days of the mods and rockers? Just about every bank holiday weekend in places like Brighton, Blackpool, Skeggy was one mass brawl. You only went there if you wanted a fight.

My mate got glassed in a nightclub in Sheffield because he was wearing a parka in a heavy metal rockers pub. We were sat there minding our own business and the guy go up walked over to us, thought he was just coming to talk, picked up one of those big pint pots and smashed it over my mates head then did a runner. Spent most of the night in hospital with lots of stitches.

One thing that has changed, and it seems to be a London thing, is the kids being killed by firearms and being in street gangs from a really early age. Once guns come into the equation someone is going to get killed, not just injured and not much of a chance to fight back. Seems to be mostly blacks killing blacks for some reason.

So the Scots guy was fined $3000 after his assault and allowed to return to the UK.

Shane Warne swore at another cricketer, threw a ball at him and pulled his shirt and got fined $4500 and suspended for one game by the cricket authorities. Maybe the judges and the cricket authorities should change jobs.

Mike