Keep trying or give up?

DisillusionedScot

Yeah, I go to the gym about 4 or 5 days a week which kind of keeps the sanity for an hour or so! That does help. I used to work in a project where I was talking non-stop throughout the day - I was an IT Tutor working with people with drug and alcohol issues and mental health problems, so yeah, it's definitely a change to go from being constantly busy to having very little to do.

My partner leaves the house at 7:15 and doesn't get home until 6:30 so the days can be long, and I guess for her it's difficult because all I want to do is hear about her day in detail at a time when she just wants to crash, which in understandable, commuting from Mandurah to Perth can't be much fun.

My wife was in a similar situation being retrenched at 54. She did a Cert IV in Disability support (about 3 months). She now works for DHS working with people with mainly mental health and intellectual disabilities. It might suit you considering your experience in this field. Apparently they can't get enough staff. DHS has good penalty rates so her pay is excellent.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are your skills and what are you applying for? another option is to look into starting something of your own up, what kind of work would you really enjoy getting into? i don't know what your financial circumstances are but if its not urgent to pay rent and bills etc you could focus on slowly building something of your own up.

Its really easy to get an abn and register your business, i've done it myself and can all be done online... throw some business ideas at us all and i'm sure between the lot of us we could brainstorm and get you sorted :)

Hi Paul, yeah, that sounds interesting. Not really sure what I could do though. Let me have a think for a day or so and get back to you. Appreciated.

Alan

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Paul, yeah, that sounds interesting. Not really sure what I could do though. Let me have a think for a day or so and get back to you. Appreciated.

Alan

Alan don't give up, you have come a long way and achieved a lot. Life for all of us has ups and downs. Some end up with more downs than ups. I'm surprised you went to Pakenham, love the area but you need the train or car to get work. Have a look at HelpX you can get free accommodation for a few hours of work, which can be anything from farm work, bar work, gardening, painting etc.

If I remember right you had your own business in the UK as a hypnotist why don't you start up again.

Sorry to hear about Max and that you've found yourself in similar circumstances again. A positive note was despite the curve balls you did manage to overcome some of the obstacles thrown at you. Would your friends loan you the money to fly back to the UK? I don't know what to suggest that hasn't been suggested before - and not familiar with Melbourne - but they will have crisis care - contact them.

Just read this whole thread for the first time. Think on this: You first posted well over a year ago and you're still going and looking for something better which proves you've got heart and determination.

It's easy for me to write and much harder for you to achieve given how tough you'd had it lately but if you want someone to give you a job they'll need to believe in you and they won't unless you believe in yourself first.

During tough times it can be all too easy to forget about one's skills, achievements and selling points. It sounds like you've had an interesting career up until the last year or two, so it's obvious that you've got something good to offer. Ignore the CV for now: write a list of your best work experiences and achievements and list the good characteristics that you have that enabled you to realise those successes. Use this to remind yourself of your talents and give yourself some credit for them! Come up with 3 key selling points that you could give to a potential employer no matter what the job. It'll sound totally cheesy but practice telling someone by speaking out loud on your own or with a friend until you can do it with passion, confidence and belief.

Hope none of the above sounded trite, good luck and keep fighting.

Hi Alan, There isn't much I can do for you but I just wanted to say to try bear in mind that when you have depression, everything seems so much worse and impossible than it would do if you were not well. Whilst it feels like there is no options for you, try to bear in mind that there will be routes but the depression is clouding that judgement. I know its really difficult at this time but everytime you have a negative thought try to remind yourself that its the illness speaking.

Is there any medication you can get to help with the depression at the moment? Have you registered with mental health services in Melbourne? Again I am an outsider but I have heard that mental health care is quite good in Melbourne so maybe you will find they are more supportive. Is there any charity groups that help people with mental health problems get back into education or employment in the area?

So sorry to hear about Max, always try to remember all the comfort you gave each other and remember how lucky Max was to know you cared for him so much.

I hope things manage to sort themselves out soon for you and then you can look back on this stage of your life.

I would certainly recommend considering a job within mental health or supporting people going through difficulties that you have had to face. I really believe that you would find this kind of role fulfilling and rewarding and when you are back on your feet you will have so much strength to share with people.

Been reading these posts with a very heavy heart. Where are you living currently, Alan? At least you have the internet so you can stay in touch with us guys on PIO - being lonely is the worst thing in the world... If we were already out there I'd definitely invite you over for a decent meal and bottle of wine to cheer you up, and I've been depressed myself (very colourful past, me!) so we could compare neuroses, lol.

Have you been to an agency so they can look over your CV and see if it's suitable for whatever jobs your intend on applying for? Maybe do your RSA as bar work must be prolific in Melbourne...?

Well done for hanging on in there despite all you've been through, and I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. My last dog died in awfully tragic circumstances and I've never gotten over it. Maybe something to look forward to - a carrot, if you like - would be the thought of getting another puppy once you get yourself back on your feet? :-) x

• 4 weeks later...
Hi guys, I'm ok (for the most part). I'm living in a house-share outside Melbourne. I got CentreLink sorted but finding a job seems like an impossible task. The isolation is terrible and I miss Max so much. I can't help but feel that I let him down, being without him hurts so much. :-(

So glad to hear your mostly ok. At least you have a house share. Being out of work is really hard isn't it, it makes you feel completely down. Please just try and keep as positive as possible, I know it's hard but if your looking for work then you'll strike lucky eventually. Have you thought about maybe even doing a few hours voluntary work just to get you out and mixing with people, it also really helps with jobs a lot. You could even help out at a animal shelter if you wanted?

I know you miss max loads, it's so hard when we lose pets. Some people just don't understand. Eventually you can feel a little better and then it can just hit you again one day but you didn't let him down at all. Think of all the years of love you gave him, some dogs don't ever get that. Try and think of the good times.

Have you thought about talking to a support group? One that comes to mind is a pet bereavement group. I've just checked a website and it says - ACGB in partnership with the Lort Smith Animal Hospital are currently running a Companion Animal Loss Support Group in North Melbourne, held on a monthly basis. For further information download the brochure here.

That might help? When I worked at the vets a lady came in who had got her cat PTS and she wasn't coping very well, we gave her the number of on of those groups. At that point I didn't even realise they existed but they sound really helpful. It might be worth ringing them, you would be with other people who understand what it feels like.

I'm glad you have a roof over your head and if there's anything anybody on here can help with don't be afraid to ask. Take care of yourself

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Alan. Tough read this post. Sounds like a positive step moving to Melbourne though. If your'e still struggling to find work, you should look into doing a government funded course. Think you said you where a PR, if so, you WILL get a course from cert II and upwards funded by the Victorian Training Guarantee (VTG), that way you might start to get a look in on the jobs front. Ask at centrelink next time your'e there, or just look it up on the web when you get a chance. Think getting some Australian qualifications will be a massive boost on the jobs front for you, just a case of choosing the right course and provider. Here's a link for the home page of the main website -http://www.education.vic.gov.au/victorianskillsgateway/Pages/home.aspx

Would say you can't go far wrong with a warehousing cert as there are plenty of jobs in that area down here. Anyways, good luck!

If you are thinking of volunteering maybe have a look at the Volunteers WA website. They will have a list of their volunteer opportunities on their website and you could apply for one of those or just give them a ring and see what they have that would suit your skills. If you volunteer in the not for profit sector, often it can lead to paid work. Good luck.

Your an experienced IT Tutor working with people with drug and alcohol issues and mental health problems? Through my personal experience working for multiple job network provider, you would be a valuable asset working in a TAFE where they teach IT to people with D&A issues and mental health issues. You need to contact TAFE's, community organisations and local community colleges, even if its for volunteering initially. Your age is an asset in regards to experience and outlook.

Ensure your resume is bang on and reflects all your skills and experiences. Don't be shy and get facetime with these organisations. RTO's are booming, you may need to get yourself a Cert IV in TAE.

I deal with these organisations on a daily basis and know your experience would be sought after

• 1 month later...

Hi John, apologies for not replying sooner, my access to the internet isn't so good here. I've just started (today) the Cert IV TAE to see if that will help. I was told today that to teach in a TAFE I'd need to do the Diploma though which was a bit of a disappointment but I will continue with the course. I'd *love* to get into a training role as I have years of group work experience, personal development workshop experience and teaching of basic I.T. I'm a certified marker for the International Computer Driving License which is a basic I.T. qualification. I'm going to do my best to network with the lecturers as much as possible. Today was a major step for me getting back into a learning environment and I will keep you up to date with what happens. I'll put in a more general reply below this posting so you can see where I'm at in terms of my day to day life.

Many thanks for your words of encouragement, really mean a lot to me. Much appreciated.

Alan

Your an experienced IT Tutor working with people with drug and alcohol issues and mental health problems? Through my personal experience working for multiple job network provider, you would be a valuable asset working in a TAFE where they teach IT to people with D&A issues and mental health issues. You need to contact TAFE's, community organisations and local community colleges, even if its for volunteering initially. Your age is an asset in regards to experience and outlook.

Ensure your resume is bang on and reflects all your skills and experiences. Don't be shy and get facetime with these organisations. RTO's are booming, you may need to get yourself a Cert IV in TAE.

I deal with these organisations on a daily basis and know your experience would be sought after

Ok, so, firstly, apologies to everyone for not posting earlier (I have fairly limited access to the 'net here). I'm still in Pakenham outside of Melbourne and there have been some positives to report, and some perhaps not quite so positives.

On the positive side I've got my Centrelink payments sorted and I volunteered to attend an employment consultant, and through them obtained funding to do a Cert IV in Training and Assessment which I started today! Yep, a student again after all these years. It's only one day per week for 11 weeks. The employment agency seemed hopeful I could find something once I get the Cert IV.

Other things: I'm still in Pakenham at the same place, but, I'm really not over the loss of Max, really not. I'm alone here during the day and there's no chance of having another dog whilst I'm at this address.

In addition to the rent I pay I'm now, well, I'm now effectively prostituting myself with the owner (a she) who has her own ideas as to what counts as rent. It's horrible, really horrible, but what choice do I have?

I did volunteer with a dog rescue service and was walking their dogs once a week with them but the owner of this house says I can't do that. She doesn't want me 'getting ideas about having another dog'. It's a miserable situation but there's no real solution to this in the foreseeable future.

Anyway, that's me, that's where I'm at.

A huge thanks to everyone for your support and kind words.

Alan

cx

I hope you can find a nicer/better rental really soon.

You do ALWAYS have a choice though so please don't feel this is your only option.

I don't like the sound of your landlady at all, you probably aren't the first person she's taken advantage of and certainly is in no position to tell you what you can and can't do in your own time!

Please please get out as soon as you can.

Keep the idea of a new 4 legged companion in the front of your mind and as soon as you get a 'break' (wether it's job/house or both) then you grab it with both hands!

I did volunteer with a dog rescue service and was walking their dogs once a week with them but the owner of this house says I can't do that.

That's ridiculous. A landlord's control is restricted to a tenant's treatment of their property. What the tenant does outside of that is absolutely none of the landlord's business.

Hi Alan - a bit late to this post but really happy to see you have not given up on the job front. I am soon to be 48 and have 2 jobs (so no, you're working life is definitely not over!!!) - so don't ever give up. There is work out there for anyone who wants it. Maybe you might have to change what you do or get some further training (like you've offered to do - and employers love people willing to learn anything new) but you can do it.

As for your landlady. Well she can bugger off. Your own time and what you do with it is nothing to do with the person you pay rent to. And as for not wanting you "to get any ideas"??? Perhaps she needs a reminder she's not your mother

:laugh:

You know all your tenants rights, don't you?

:smile: