Points Discrepancy :-(

Kimorjack

morning all,

same routine - get up early and check my email...not 1 but 2 from Adelaide...the excitement soon wore off.

1st email confirming I have a Case officer....2nd emails saying there's a points discrepancy...I think the kitchen actually spun.

I've followed the process...I even confirmed some points related questions here on the forum (I was convinced I had 60 points from the start) - but I put all the information into SkillSelect and it came up - 65...I checked, double checked, triple checked....you get the picture...(I put it down to my Higher National Diploma in Computing getting more points on Skillselect).

I then waited...and in November I was one of the lucky one's who got picked to apply..

Uploaded all documents

Paid for the Visa

Paid for the Health Checks

Paid for the Police Checks

and now this.

I feel totally sick -

Has anyone encountered this? After all its the "system" (EOI) thats calculated my points score? I've not tried to hide or fool anyone.

I will respond to the Case Officer (its now after 4pm there so no point in a rash email now)...any thoughts? Anyone experienced this?

What are my options..feels like a 10 Tonne ball's just crushed us.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope someone comes along who can offer precise advice about your situation, but just wanted to offer support:hug:

I have thought about this happening to people. My OH has 10 years experience in his trade, but 2 years of it was part time. There is nowhere on the EOI to put the dates so that it does not calculate these years properly.

I am certain this will happen for a few people. I am sure your CO will be understanding as you have not lied. Good Luck.

morning all,

same routine - get up early and check my email...not 1 but 2 from Adelaide...the excitement soon wore off.

1st email confirming I have a Case officer....2nd emails saying there's a points discrepancy...I think the kitchen actually spun.

I've followed the process...I even confirmed some points related questions here on the forum (I was convinced I had 60 points from the start) - but I put all the information into SkillSelect and it came up - 65...I checked, double checked, triple checked....you get the picture...(I put it down to my Higher National Diploma in Computing getting more points on Skillselect).

I then waited...and in November I was one of the lucky one's who got picked to apply..

Uploaded all documents

Paid for the Visa

Paid for the Health Checks

Paid for the Police Checks

and now this.

I feel totally sick -

Has anyone encountered this? After all its the "system" (EOI) thats calculated my points score? I've not tried to hide or fool anyone.

I will respond to the Case Officer (its now after 4pm there so no point in a rash email now)...any thoughts? Anyone experienced this?

What are my options..feels like a 10 Tonne ball's just crushed us.

Hi

Did they mentioned which points you overclaimed???

Really sorry for you.

Wow! Thanks all - really surprised at the number of replies - thanks for the support.

I've just logged into EOI again - and its there in black and white - "The EOI for this subclass is able to be completed. The client's claims equal 65 points"

I dont think I've overclaimed anywhere on the application - this was my dillema back in October - hence why I checked and double checked everything before going any further.

Can anyone point me to where I can re-view my Application again? Even though I know that every inch of the document is correct - as I spent many nights reading/checking/double checking...Ive logged into EOI and as I'ts suspended I cant view anything! aghhhhhh!

RockDR - I will contact a migration agent - when they are open - but will they be happy to help when I've done this on my own? My initial Mig Agent we stopped using because we felt the service was poor and we were not getting value for money...I feel sick typing that now...but that's life...I'm not stupid - and Im 100% convinced Iv'e done nothing wrong - I've followed the process.

One weird (and maybe a glimmer of hope) is that the 1st email from the Case officer is asking for documentation (for the wife) which I've already uploaded (these are Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Police Checks) - these are all Colour Copies (granted they are not Certified - could this be the case...although I've read on here MANY times that Colour copies are ok)...I know that this won't give me any additional points - but maybe the CO was having a bad day :-)

Trying to be positive..

Wow! Thanks all - really surprised at the number of replies - thanks for the support.

I've just logged into EOI again - and its there in black and white - "The EOI for this subclass is able to be completed. The client's claims equal 65 points"

I dont think I've overclaimed anywhere on the application - this was my dillema back in October - hence why I checked and double checked everything before going any further.

Can anyone point me to where I can re-view my Application again? Even though I know that every inch of the document is correct - as I spent many nights reading/checking/double checking...Ive logged into EOI and as I'ts suspended I cant view anything! aghhhhhh!

RockDR - I will contact a migration agent - when they are open - but will they be happy to help when I've done this on my own? My initial Mig Agent we stopped using because we felt the service was poor and we were not getting value for money...I feel sick typing that now...but that's life...I'm not stupid - and Im 100% convinced Iv'e done nothing wrong - I've followed the process.

One weird (and maybe a glimmer of hope) is that the 1st email from the Case officer is asking for documentation (for the wife) which I've already uploaded (these are Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Police Checks) - these are all Colour Copies (granted they are not Certified - could this be the case...although I've read on here MANY times that Colour copies are ok)...I know that this won't give me any additional points - but maybe the CO was having a bad day :-)

Trying to be positive..

Don't worry about being asked for documents again. The evisa system is having teething troubles and I believe that the CO's are having problems with accessing the documents, so this may be why.

If you do not feel comfortable calling an agent, you could call DIAC, Australia House, London and ask their advice on the best course of action. Good Luck.

Don't worry about being asked for documents again. The evisa system is having teething troubles and I believe that the CO's are having problems with accessing the documents, so this may be why.

If you do not feel comfortable calling an agent, you could call DIAC, Australia House, London and ask their advice on the best course of action. Good Luck.

Thanks Candygirl - having had a cup of coffee and coming down from the ceiling - I know I've done nothing wrong...nothing to hide - so I'm hopeful it's a mistake "in the system"...I'll worry no more...make my calls...and hope for the best.

It would be good to hear if anyone else has had any discrepancy's noted on their app's and what their resolution was..anyway - Im now an hour late into my 2 hour commute...which since the Medical's has felt "better" because I thought we were close to the finishing line....today's drive will be pants :-(

Have you claimed 15 points for your HND??

Hi - I think this may be the issue - but as I cant login to EOI - I dont recall claiming against a HND - I claimed against an Advanced Diploma - which is what I was told the HND would be.

Do you have experience of this?

Hi - I think this may be the issue - but as I cant login to EOI - I dont recall claiming against a HND - I claimed against an Advanced Diploma - which is what I was told the HND would be.

Do you have experience of this?

But how many points you require a degree to get 15 points, HND or Advanced diploma would be 10 points.

But how many points you require a degree to get 15 points, HND or Advanced diploma would be 10 points.

hi - thanks for the quick reply. This is my worry - I followed the Questions in EOI - and I put in Advanced Diploma - it was the system (i think) that gave me 15 points.

where does this leave me? I even checked this on this forum before hand - followed the questions on EOI - and its the system thats given me the points (again im looking at this emotianally at the moment...) - if I could only login and see the EOI!

Totally shattered at the moment.

hi - thanks for the quick reply. This is my worry - I followed the Questions in EOI - and I put in Advanced Diploma - it was the system (i think) that gave me 15 points.

where does this leave me? I even checked this on this forum before hand - followed the questions on EOI - and its the system thats given me the points (again im looking at this emotianally at the moment...) - if I could only login and see the EOI!

Totally shattered at the moment.

Oh dear, unfortunately I think you may need to prepare yourself for the worst.

If the 65 points includes 15 for a diploma then this is definitely not right, it requires a degree for 15 points. Is this what it looks like, i.e. are you short on your qualification points? I have not completed an EOI so don't know what the system looks like.

Edit: I have just created a dummy EOI up to the submit stage. It gave me 70 points for the person I made up although it doesnt provide me with the breakdown. But I know the person got 30 for age, 20 for IELTS and 10 for work experience which is 60, this means is could have only given me 10 points for the "Advanced diploma" that I selected. Maybe provide a breakdown of your points and we can see what might have happened.

Oh dear, unfortunately I think you may need to prepare yourself for the worst.

If the 65 points includes 15 for a diploma then this is definitely not right, it requires a degree for 15 points. Is this what it looks like, i.e. are you short on your qualification points? I have not completed an EOI so don't know what the system looks like.

thanks all.

Ok - I've found a copy of the information that was put into the EOI (by me)...and nowhere do I state any false or incorrect information.

I've stated the qualifications that I have. Its the system thats given me 15 points - I haven't assigned them to myself.....however I also know this doesn't fix the issue!

My only option is to call the Adelaide office at 11pm tonight and explain. I don't believe I've done anything wrong.

Hi,

I made a honest mistake on my EOI, I said yes to the question about if I meet the Australian study requirement and I should have said no, because it was study in Australia and I just read it as having studied somewhere. My CO told me that was the five points I had too much. So I had to withdraw and reapply second and final application. Im sponsored by ACT who sponsored me again in second go, got the invitation the next day and reapplied mid october. I was granted my 190 visa mid november. I was also granted a refund from first application fee and I got those money back after five weeks so a very scary but good experience.

I suggest you write to your CO and ask where the extra points are claimed so you can find the error, by system or you... I hope it gets sorted soon so you dont have to worry.

Best wishes

thanks all.

Ok - I've found a copy of the information that was put into the EOI (by me)...and nowhere do I state any false or incorrect information.

I've stated the qualifications that I have. Its the system thats given me 15 points - I haven't assigned them to myself.....however I also know this doesn't fix the issue!

My only option is to call the Adelaide office at 11pm tonight and explain. I don't believe I've done anything wrong.

Can you see whether you ticked the "meets Australian study requirement" box? If you did then your score will go up by 5, I just went back into my dummy application and I got 10 points for advanced diploma but when I tick this box I got 15. Of course, as it states, this box should only be ticked if the diploma was undertaken in Australia.

I suspect this is what has happened to you, same as Annette, good news is she managed to get her money back...

Can you see whether you ticked the "meets Australian study requirement" box? If you did then your score will go up by 5, I just went back into my dummy application and I got 10 points for advanced diploma but when I tick this box I got 15. Of course, as it states, this box should only be ticked if the diploma was undertaken in Australia.

I suspect this is what has happened to you, same as Annette, good news is she managed to get her money back...

The blood has literally drained from my face...

I cant believe I also have the same issue. Feel sick.

I've just read it about 10 times trying to understand why I would of said "Yes" to this question. I've obviously read this as confirming that I have Education to meet the Australian "Visa" Requirements and not that I confirm I've actually studied in Australia.

Gutted. We thought we would have this completed by Christmas so we could start the new year planning in detail....and one incorrect "Yes" has stopped us on our tracks :-(

Should I email or phone the CO?

The blood has literally drained from my face...

I cant believe I also have the same issue. Feel sick.

I've just read it about 10 times trying to understand why I would of said "Yes" to this question. I've obviously read this as confirming that I have Education to meet the Australian "Visa" Requirements and not that I confirm I've actually studied in Australia.

Gutted. We thought we would have this completed by Christmas so we could start the new year planning in detail....and one incorrect "Yes" has stopped us on our tracks :-(

Should I email or phone the CO?

Yes, I can completely see why someone would have thought this was simply confirming that you have met study requirements for points.

It can sometimes be a frustrating experience trying to call DIAC, but I would give it a go because it is quicker, but if you are getting stressed about it then stop trying and reply to their email on the points instead. It is morning in Australia now and hopefully you will get a response during our day which will be there for you in the morning.

It has gone wrong, no point in beating yourself up about it. The best thing you can do is work on salvaging it. Australia will still be here waiting for you when you are ready.

Unfortunately this is an issue with the SkillSelect system. The EOI is touted as being very simple and quick to lodge, which it is. The problem however, is that the EOI forms the foundation of your subsequent Visa application.

Because the EOI is so quick and simple to complete, many do not realise the seriousness and weight of the answers provided. Many of the questions are specifically linked to Regulations which need to be met for the subsequent Visa application. Questions on the EOI appear simple (employment experience), but the requirements to meet the criteria under the Visa Regulations and Policy can be very complex.

The problem is compounded by the fact that the Regulations specifically preclude an application being granted, if the points claimed on the EOI do not meet the points which can been proven at the Visa stage.

As such even a simple and innocent mistake such as ticking the incorrect box can lead to a visa refusal.

Absolutely, Raul.

The EoI system looks simple. Unfortunately, the technical aspects underpinning claimed points have not been well explained in the pop up boxes when lodging the EoI - the issues highlighted in this thread will be encountered by many, I feel sure.

As you say, if points claimed in an EoI are not supported by submitted documents at visa application invitation stage case officers must refuse an application. It appears some case officers are inviting applicants to withdraw, but it is likely to be a major shock to applicants when all seemed to be going well.

Herein lies the risk of not engaging a competent professional to assist with the application.

Best regards.

As such even a simple and innocent mistake such as ticking the incorrect box can lead to a visa refusal.

Thanks for the reply ABA - however - in my case I'ts not an innocent mistake as ticking the incorrect box.

I've read the statement many times since It was pointed to me that this may be the issue - and I still think the Question can and should be worded in a different manner. It implies/asks if I meet the Australian study requirements for the Skilled Migration points test - which I've interpreted as "Do you have qualifications that you can proove towards your Australian Skilled Migration Points Test" - in which case - YES I have qualifications...

If however (now it's been pointed to me in a different context) - it would say "Have you completed any studies in Australia" - the answer would of been a resounding NO!

I have called the Adelaide office and after a short wait - this was confirmed to me -and in her words "this is a common occurance" - which again tells me that something is wrong if it's a "common occurance"

Which then brings me to Alan's comment - I respect your opinion - as I've read many many of your posts - but to imply that this process should only be completed by a Competant Migration Professional is not helpful. This excellent resource (Poms in Oz) is here to help thousands of people through the myriad of documents/forms that we all have to complete - because many people are competant (with a little help!) and do not have (or in many cases cannot afford to) the privillege of paying someone to do it on their behalf.

I beleive that the Process is complicated - but I've taken my time - used this resource and I've come unstuck on one contentious question - which appears to have been labelled by DIAC themselves as a "common issue"

Im now very tired - emotionally drained and will probably edit this in the morning - but I had to say how I felt....with respect.

I understand your frustration, KJ.

I'm merely observing that in the absence of experience in this area the lodgment of an EoI is fraught with difficulty. As a firm we are aware of questions in the EoI where one has to accept an answer that isn't correct because the actual applicant's scenario isn't listed.

Indeed, we have made regular submissions to DIAC regarding problems inherent in the design of SkillSelect. Not all of these have been answered satisfactorily.

Agreed that in an ideal world it shouldn't have to be this way. But the EoI process has been poorly designed (in my view).

Best regards.

Archived