Melbourne is not cold!

sally04

The weather in Melbourne / Victoria is not the same as the weather in the uk. Just wanted to express this opinion. The uk does not get to 40 degrees. We have the seasons, cold winters etc.. But I just can't agree with people who comment that its comparable to the uk weather and therefore too cold to consider a move to!

if I wanted year round sunny weather I'd not move to Victoria as its obviously not the warmest state, but its a lot warmer and sunnier most of the time than the UK! End of rant!

Guest The Pom Queen

Lol you have one day of temps over 40 and everyone gets so excited. What about the floods was that this week or last. Yes the temp may not get to 40 in the UK but it's just as cold in winter and spring and autumn

Nicely put & good to hear, it sounds a good option if people moving to oz don't want it too hot or hot all the time, we always like the idea of Brisbane but got to admit i do worry it may be too humid & hot for us, so were looking at all places really... keeping an open mind & all that

Ellen x

Guest The Pom Queen
Nicely put & good to hear, it sounds a good option if people moving to oz don't want it too hot or hot all the time, we always like the idea of Brisbane but got to admit i do worry it may be too humid & hot for us, so were looking at all places really... keeping an open mind & all that

Ellen x

Brisbane isn't humid, we were told how humid Cairns would be, the only time it's humid is between now and Feb. Darwin has higher humidity but again only in the wet season does it get bad.

Melbourne is great as you have 4 seasons in one day.

Brisbane isn't humid, we were told how humid Cairns would be, the only time it's humid is between now and Feb. Darwin has higher humidity but again only in the wet season does it get bad.

Bit of a myth that one. Main thing about Victorian (coastal) weather is that you can get massive fluctuations in weather from one day to the next, like 24 one day, 40 the next, 15 the day after that!

Guest The Pom Queen
fluctuations in weather from one day to the next, like 24 one day, 40 the next, 15 the day after that!

and snow in the summer:chatterbox:

Guest The Pom Queen
looked at melbournes forcast today, they predicted 38, but melbourne intl was reading 39 on the aviation forcast.

felt like it too!

c'mon jon.... acclimatise!

Think Olly said it reached 46 with her.

Guest The Pom Queen
The beauty of Victorian weather, never dull!

A bit like the forum, one minute it's bright and sunny, warming up your day the next it's dull and depressing, severe storms with the chance of a tornado tearing through :wink:

It's definitely cooler here than in Adelaide, where we lived previously, however, that's not a bad thing!

I really appreciate the sunny days here because it's not endless, I also like the rain that happens, it makes the place MUCH greener than SA...

By this time of the year I always expected Clint Eastwood to be riding a horse over a hill... it was soooo brown.

It was 45.6C in Ouyen which is right up in the far NW of the state and no stranger to very high temperatures during the summer months. This temperature was the hottest ever recorded in Victoria in November, the previous highest was 44.5C in Mildura on the 17th of November 1980.

This sort of heat when it occurs gets funneled down from central Australia. The actual source of the heat is up in the inland parts of the Pilbara region of WA, eg. Marble Bar and places like that which has some of the hottest summers in the world. The weather patterns are such in Australia that this heat occasionally gets dragged down thousands of km to the far SE of the continent and sometimes even as far as Tasmania. As soon as the wind changes back to westerlies or southerlies it very quickly gets cool again. The current forecast for Melbourne has a lot of days coming up in the low 20s and even an 18C day.

These extreme heat days are not the norm in Melbourne. There are 10 days above 35C in Melbourne CBD and 30 above 30C in an average year according to BOM records. Most days in summer are pleasantly warm and still quite a few that are fairly cool.

When you look at the climate statistics for a place at the same latitude, eg. Athens, and see just how much hotter it is there than Melbourne, especially in summer it puts things in perspective. Parts of Athens have recorded temperatures as high as 48C, which is 1.5C hotter than the Melbourne maximum during the Black Saturday fires.

Brisbane isn't humid,

It depends on your humidity gauge. :wink:

We are climate refugees from northern NSW - because even that was too humid. And I've met similar refugees who've moved here from Sydney because even that was too humid for them in summer.

Bit of a myth that one. Main thing about Victorian (coastal) weather is that you can get massive fluctuations in weather from one day to the next, like 24 one day, 40 the next, 15 the day after that!

Yup I absolutely agree. It's not so much 4 seasons in 1 day, but 4 seasons in 1 week. It certainly much wetter and windier than I expected, but I don't think that its as cold as England during winter.

It may not get quite as cold as the UK, but pretty close. what you haven't taken into account is that there is no snug central heating keeping the house to a pleasant ambient temp of 20 degrees or so.... so in winter it may be 5 degrees outside, and maybe only 11 degrees inside without relying on expensive to run heating systems like reverse air con. This, in my opinion, makes winter just as hard as in the UK and was certainly my experience when I lived in Melbourne.

We grow veges all winter in Melbourne. its not anything like UK, we get a few mornings a year when we have frosts but rhe days that follow are bright sunshine. 8 degrees overnight is the norm. We get most rain in winter. Melbourne is one of the driest capitals looking at average rainfall. A lot of trades people wear shorts to work all year.

We have ducted heating and we have air conditioning so very pleasant lifestyle in Melbourne.

Think Olly said it reached 46 with her.

Yes Kate, in the Mallee country - Ouyen - about 440kms from Melbourne it was 46C. Mind you, it's hot up there at the best of times - my kids' grandad farmed there, not a great place to be sitting on a tractor all day farming wheat !

It depends on your humidity gauge. :wink:

We are climate refugees from northern NSW - because even that was too humid. And I've met similar refugees who've moved here from Sydney because even that was too humid for them in summer.

I know what you mean Skani, my brother was up in Sydney helping his son with something outdoors and he said to me when he came back "coming from Melbourne I forgot how humid Sydney can get" (and we're Aussie born)

Compared to where? I've worked there quite a few times and compared to Perth it's very humid. I can walk around Perth in mid 30's and not sweat that much. I walked around South Bank, a longish walk admittedly and my tee-shirt was soaking.

It may not get quite as cold as the UK, but pretty close. what you haven't taken into account is that there is no snug central heating keeping the house to a pleasant ambient temp of 20 degrees or so.

I have lived here almost 6 years and have come across very few houses without central heating of some sort - mainly ducted. The difference here is not the central heating, its the thermal mass. Uk houses with brick interior walls retain heat much better than Australian houses with stud interior walls as the bricks absorb the heat during the day and release it at night.

If you are living in a house in Melbourne without central heating then I think you need to move!

BB

Have to say Melbourne weather is nothing like British weather. In the middle of Winter you can get beautiful days of 24-25C- never happens in the UK. You also get the extreme heat for a few days every year- usually 38, 39 or 40C. Again I don't remember anything like that in the UK. Haven't seen frost here for over 10 years now and even then it was very light and disappeared by about 9am. You don't get 15 year droughts in the UK ( they call it a drought there after a couple of days, don't they?) and you don't get bushfires. As for the rare five minutes of snow in the Dandenongs- it makes headline news so that says it all, doesn't it?

Guest The Pom Queen
Have to say Melbourne weather is nothing like British weather. In the middle of Winter you can get beautiful days of 24-25C- never happens in the UK. You also get the extreme heat for a few days every year- usually 38, 39 or 40C. Again I don't remember anything like that in the UK. Haven't seen frost here for over 10 years now and even then it was very light and disappeared by about 9am. You don't get 15 year droughts in the UK ( they call it a drought there after a couple of days, don't they?) and you don't get bushfires. As for the rare five minutes of snow in the Dandenongs- it makes headline news so that says it all, doesn't it?

Not sure where you live in Melbourne but we have had frost and ice and spent many a morning scraping it off the car before heading to work.

Archived