Dilemma - Perth or Adelaide

rickjoann

They are both very different cities. What are your reasons for your move and your hopes for your life in Aus? Why are you considering these two places?

Tbh it really will come down to what you want and like and why. I'd not suggest one or the other without a bit more to go on.

Hello

Just need everyone's advice on which area to settle in Australia, good and bad ?

Big thanks x

Move to one for a while, then try somewhere else? Australia's population moves around a lot to try different areas, a foreign concept to most poms though.

Seriously? I think that may have been the case in the 60's and 70's, but I think you'll find populations are very mobile now everywhere. But still - good advice as long as they don't have school age kids.

Move to one for a while, then try somewhere else? Australia's population moves around a lot to try different areas, a foreign concept to most poms though.

Seriously? I think that may have been the case in the 60's and 70's, but I think you'll find populations are very mobile now everywhere. But still - good advice as long as they don't have school age kids.

still the case here. IT people move around and see the country

Thanks for everyones help & advice. We did our research and decided on Perth, but a possible job offer could mean changing our plans. I have read that Perth is boring and not alot to do and this concerns me as we have a 14 year old son. I have also heard that the minning industry boon is only expected to last another couple of years affecting jobs, housing etc. We also decided on Adelaide due to locality as it is nearer to Melbourne & Sydney for more things to do for our son.

Any further advice would be appreciated I.e schools, areas,etc

Adelaide! Definitely .... not that I've been to Perth though!

What do you prefer, a city or a town? What does your son like doing? What do you like doing? Do you hanker after a world that is as you remember twenty years ago (if so Adelaide) or do you like modern and progressive (if so probably Perth!)? Honestly, without knowing you personally, no-one can really tell you what will suit you best. They can say what they like best, but who knows if your tastes are the same as theirs? We have been really happy with the schools and lifestyle here in Adelaide, but again, if we were in a different part of Adelaide perhaps we wouldn't feel the same - there are certainly places that many Brits flock to here that leave me cold - but they're different people to me and if I'd taken their advice on where to live I probably wouldn't like it so much!

Thanks for everyones help & advice. We did our research and decided on Perth, but a possible job offer could mean changing our plans. I have read that Perth is boring and not alot to do and this concerns me as we have a 14 year old son. I have also heard that the minning industry boon is only expected to last another couple of years affecting jobs, housing etc. We also decided on Adelaide due to locality as it is nearer to Melbourne & Sydney for more things to do for our son.

Any further advice would be appreciated I.e schools, areas,etc

I'd go with Perth if you absolutely have to. The City of Churches is myopic and very narrow in outlook. you only have to read the posts on the Big Footy forum Adelaide sub section about Tippett leaving to really understand how bad it is. It makes very sobering reading.

Go where you get your first job offer.

I wouldnt be going to either as a first choice as both are relatively isolated - the East coast has more going for it - but that's just a personal preference.

Agree, but poms have a penchant for additional isolation. Odd, but there you go

Not much of a choice really.....I would rather live in Yorkshire than either of those places

Umm no. That's going a little to far.

Go where you get your first job offer.

I wouldnt be going to either as a first choice as both are relatively isolated - the East coast has more going for it - but that's just a personal preference.

In relation to what? You live in an east coast city, you are still a flight to another city. Its not like you jump on a bus and pop over to Melbourne from Sydney to see a friend for an hour.

Isolation is the defination of Oz. Not only is EVERY city pretty isolated, but Oz itself is isolated from anywhere else, so if isolation is the issue, dont come to Oz

I'd go with Perth if you absolutely have to. The City of Churches is myopic and very narrow in outlook. you only have to read the posts on the Big Footy forum Adelaide sub section about Tippett leaving to really understand how bad it is. It makes very sobering reading.

Load of nonsense - I haven't met a single person who even mentions the name Tippett in conversation, and I work in the Port! I don't think a Footy forum is any sort of indicator of the average man in the street in Adelaide or anywhere! And while we're on the subject, Adelaide is only known as "the city of churches" to those people who have no idea of what the place is like: it was actually called that because it was settled by (German) Lutherans annd other free settlers rather than by convicts, NOT - as is the general assumption by non-South Australian people - because it is any more churchy or religious than anywhere else in Australia!

It is a little old fashioned in many ways, but as I said above, if you hanker for life as it used to be, where neighbours talk to neighbours, where kids can be kids and don't make judgements based on which designer label made your clothes, where a role model for kids is a sports person rather than a model, and where a good day out involves a family cycle ride and a day on the beach, rather than a day at a theme park, then it's not all bad!

It is a little old fashioned in many ways, but as I said above, if you hanker for life as it used to be, where neighbours talk to neighbours, where kids can be kids and don't make judgements based on which designer label made your clothes, where a role model for kids is a sports person rather than a model, and where a good day out involves a family cycle ride and a day on the beach, rather than a day at a theme park, then it's not all bad!

Gosh, dont go to Australia then LOL

Load of nonsense - I haven't met a single person who even mentions the name Tippett in conversation, and I work in the Port! I don't think a Footy forum is any sort of indicator of the average man in the street in Adelaide or anywhere! And while we're on the subject, Adelaide is only known as "the city of churches" to those people who have no idea of what the place is like: it was actually called that because it was settled by (German) Lutherans annd other free settlers rather than by convicts, NOT - as is the general assumption by non-South Australian people - because it is any more churchy or religious than anywhere else in Australia!

I agree with your assessment of Adelaide. I've never understood why some people bag it - it's a lovely family orientated city.

In relation to what? You live in an east coast city, you are still a flight to another city. Its not like you jump on a bus and pop over to Melbourne from Sydney to see a friend for an hour.

Isolation is the defination of Oz. Not only is EVERY city pretty isolated, but Oz itself is isolated from anywhere else, so if isolation is the issue, dont come to Oz

While I don't agree with writing Perth off as a viable choice for everyone because of it's location I do think it is one consideration amongst many.

If you lived in Canberra like Quoll did you could drive/bus to Sydney for the weekend. From Brisbane our family have driving holidays in Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra, Gold Coast, Coffs, Toowoomba, Armidale, Sunshine Coast, Hervey Bay, Newcastle, Townsville, Mackay, Longreach and a huge number of smaller towns. So you're right, you don't do it every day but having large weekend towns/cities nearby, eg the Gold Coast (500,000), Sunshine Coast (320,000) and Toowoomba (120,000) and then more within holiday striking distance by car is something I do appreciate (be nice if they were even closer as you say). Flying from Perth would cost far too much and be less convenient with a young family who take a car full of bikes, bags, baby stuff etc. Easier for a couple. Of course for some this wouldn't be an issue, or would be outweighed by the positives, but for some it is. I wouldn't want to overplay it though.

I have read that Perth is boring and not alot to do and this concerns me as we have a 14 year old son

I presume you've googled a few things just to discover how boring Perth is for 14 years old? Here's a few things on offer -

organized sports clubs - football, Australian rules football, hockey, rugby, baseball, rowing, tennis, beach volleyball, five a side, athletics, diving, trampolining

water sports - sailing, kayaking, windsurfing, kite surfing, fishing, water skiing, canoeing, surfing, boogie boarding - swimming in loads of outdoor 50m pools, water polo

Others - loads of cycle clubs, rock climbing centres, in line hockey which leads on to ice hockey - we have an ice rink, heaps of skateboarding parks, parcour,

indoor play centres for up to 16 years old, Qzar , paint balling, there's gyms with session for 14 year olds

may be he is more arty - there are art classes for teenagers, loads of drama groups that offer acting and musical theatre, dance groups for boys doing hip hop and jazz,

or machines - motorcross at Kwinana, bmx tracks, off road buggy racing and go carting

if he wants to work you can be employed from the age of 14 in Perth - many 14 year old get jobs in fast food joints or shops

cinema - we've got all the muliplex cinemas but then from Nov to April there all the outdoor ones too

Bands and festivals - loads, not all for over 18 but he might have to get into Aussie music

then there is always the beach on a hot day, BBQs with the family, exploring, gaming centres, adventure world, water parks, not to mention the usual attractions like zoo, wild life parks, AQWA, Fremantle prison,

there's the usual things like youth clubs/scouts - local councils will list things for teenagers to do.

but the most important thing not to get bored is to be connected to school - research shows that children who succeed in school are ones who are connected through music/drama/sport/debating - anything where they are not just turning up and doing lessons and going home. Schools offer a huge range of activities to be involved in. other thing that is more important for teenagers than life itself is friends - if he hasn't got any then what ever city he is in he'll be bored and doesn't matter what activities are on offer.

I've never been to Perth so won't comment on it,but have spent many years living in and around Adelaide.Firstly Adelaide is very easy to get around and find your bearings.It all depends really on what type of lifestyle you're after.Are you beachy?Burby?Hillbilly?lol I was the latter for a few years and much preferred it to the burbs,but thats my own preference.Some of my family live in the burbs and would'nt live anywhere else.It does'nt matter where you live in the world,you will get boring days occasionally.Thats life!Kids will be bored too,and thats also life.I think you need to be careful about your motives for moving to either.I've noticed in the last year,the numbers emigrating to SA seem to be increasing and I think its because its cheaper to buy housing than the other cities.That reason alone is not a good enough reason.You have to actually like the place,not move there because you might think you have no choice.As for religeon in Adelaide,did'nt see it myself.Ok its known as the city of churches but in reality it means nothing to be honest.I don't think I ever met one person who went to church expcept for a wedding or funeral!lol

Can you do a reccie on both?It might be a good idea to.Adelaide has the advantage of having both beach and country area's within easy drives of the burbs,lots of parks,an easy city to walk around as everything is pretty central,lots of cafe's,and I can't comment on night life because when I was young enough to go out regularly,it was a long time ago!(Was great at the time though :) ).You have the Barossa,nice for day trips,wineries,the river Murray (some nice river towns to visit/stay)Flinders Ranges,and the many towns you pass along the way,and many other nice places to go.

Very true but it's even further from Adelaide or Perth to ANYWHERE!

Archived