Dilemma - Perth or Adelaide

rickjoann

I have read that Perth is boring and not alot to do and this concerns me as we have a 14 year old son

I presume you've googled a few things just to discover how boring Perth is for 14 years old? Here's a few things on offer -

organized sports clubs - football, Australian rules football, hockey, rugby, baseball, rowing, tennis, beach volleyball, five a side, athletics, diving, trampolining

water sports - sailing, kayaking, windsurfing, kite surfing, fishing, water skiing, canoeing, surfing, boogie boarding - swimming in loads of outdoor 50m pools, water polo

Others - loads of cycle clubs, rock climbing centres, in line hockey which leads on to ice hockey - we have an ice rink, heaps of skateboarding parks, parcour,

indoor play centres for up to 16 years old, Qzar , paint balling, there's gyms with session for 14 year olds

may be he is more arty - there are art classes for teenagers, loads of drama groups that offer acting and musical theatre, dance groups for boys doing hip hop and jazz,

or machines - motorcross at Kwinana, bmx tracks, off road buggy racing and go carting

if he wants to work you can be employed from the age of 14 in Perth - many 14 year old get jobs in fast food joints or shops

cinema - we've got all the muliplex cinemas but then from Nov to April there all the outdoor ones too

Bands and festivals - loads, not all for over 18 but he might have to get into Aussie music

then there is always the beach on a hot day, BBQs with the family, exploring, gaming centres, adventure world, water parks, not to mention the usual attractions like zoo, wild life parks, AQWA, Fremantle prison,

there's the usual things like youth clubs/scouts - local councils will list things for teenagers to do.

but the most important thing not to get bored is to be connected to school - research shows that children who succeed in school are ones who are connected through music/drama/sport/debating - anything where they are not just turning up and doing lessons and going home. Schools offer a huge range of activities to be involved in. other thing that is more important for teenagers than life itself is friends - if he hasn't got any then what ever city he is in he'll be bored and doesn't matter what activities are on offer.

If there's so much to do and see in perth/WA why is it time and time again perth gets labeled as boring. It's the only city (use that word lightly) which gets constantly bashed on this website . You never read of other cities in Australia being boring..! Just a point

While I don't agree with writing Perth off as a viable choice for everyone because of it's location I do think it is one consideration amongst many.

If you lived in Canberra like Quoll did you could drive/bus to Sydney for the weekend. From Brisbane our family have driving holidays in Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra, Gold Coast, Coffs, Toowoomba, Armidale, Sunshine Coast, Hervey Bay, Newcastle, Townsville, Mackay, Longreach and a huge number of smaller towns. So you're right, you don't do it every day but having large weekend towns/cities nearby, eg the Gold Coast (500,000), Sunshine Coast (320,000) and Toowoomba (120,000) and then more within holiday striking distance by car is something I do appreciate (be nice if they were even closer as you say). Flying from Perth would cost far too much and be less convenient with a young family who take a car full of bikes, bags, baby stuff etc. Easier for a couple. Of course for some this wouldn't be an issue, or would be outweighed by the positives, but for some it is. I wouldn't want to overplay it though.

Personally, i wouldnt consider driving Sydney to Melbourne when there are perfectly good aircraft. As for other towns, Perth is no different. From Perth itself, you have Mandurah, Margaret River, Bunbury and all the others down south. A myriad of towns in the farming areas. Plenty north as well. We lived in Sydney before Perth and its no easier to get to different places than it is from Perth.

A flight is a flight. A direct flight from Brisbane to Perth is about 3.5 hours, or 1,5 from Sydney. Most of the time though is the crap lost getting to the airport and the time there and thats not going to change for either. Most of the guys in my office live in NSW or Brisbane and fifo in and out. No real difference to my fifo in from Perth

If there's so much to do and see in perth/WA why is it time and time again perth gets labeled as boring. It's the only city (use that word lightly) which gets constantly bashed on this website . You never read of other cities in Australia being boring..! Just a point

It depends on what you call boring. It isnt somewhere i would want to spend my late teens or early 20's. But, then i didnt think Sydney was that great either. The cross reminded me of some of the back streets of Blackpool as far as a night out goes. But, if you are a bit older, or younger, Perth is excellent with lots of people into outdoor sports and plenty going on.

I spent 6 weeks in Perth on an exchange when I was a student ( aged 21/22). We lived in hospital residences with other young things mostly Aussies. We found loads to do in Perth day and night! Loved the place! Revisited in 2005 all too briefly but I found it a wonderful city. Don't understand all the boring comments. Unless it has all shut down since I last went???! Adelaide was nice to visit - winerys a plus! Glenelg handy. I would vote Perth every time out of the two.

I have a late teen son and he is never bored, there is plenty going on. Biggest problem though is being able to afford it. A night out with mates to a club and taxi home can be well over $100 which is too much for a student. He saves up to see bands and go to the many music festivals rather than go out clubbing.

Not saying there's nothing to do but the small amount of things to do quickly get exhausted . The person above said lots to do in the 6 weeks there, true but how about 6 months later....?

So what can you do elsewhere (not boring) that you can't do in Perth (supposedluy boring, but isn't).

Gets labelled boring by the same few people all the time though doesn't it. There are just as many posts from people like me and Bob1 who just can't imagine how anyone could find it boring. We've been here 20 years, love it more than when we arrived and hope to stay here for the rest of our lives.

When I was in the UK I used to do the same things week in week out and have a couple of weeks summer holidays in the sun to look forward to. Nothing wrong with that, I had a great time but it consisted of getting home from work, dinner, out to the same couple of pubs every night of the week to meet mates, cards, darts, a few pints. Weekends same sort of thing. Out with mates or girlfriend to local town or Sheffield, more beer, if your lucky you managed to pull as well. Saturday and Sunday football followed by pub again.

We used to play five a side every Wednesday night with the same bunch of guys and go for a few beers in the same pub after. That was 35 years ago. When I was back on holiday, 5 years ago I bumped into a mate who I'd not seen since then. He asked if I wanted a game of 5 a side at the same venue, with the same people, followed by drinks in the same pub. I would have jumped at the chance and it would have been great to catch up with them all but the family had other ideas and I couldn't make it.

Depends what you want out of life but I am really happy that the things I used to so look forward to going to the hotter countries for, sun, sea, beaches, watersports, bars, restaurants with a bit of a view and holiday makers actually wanting to come to where I live.

I preferred Perth when it was a bit quieter to be honest, not so much traffic, less people, smaller City. As it gets bigger we are going to get the big City problems.

Gets labelled boring by the same few people all the time though doesn't it. There are just as many posts from people like me and Bob1 who just can't imagine how anyone could find it boring. We've been here 20 years, love it more than when we arrived and hope to stay here for the rest of our lives.

When I was in the UK I used to do the same things week in week out and have a couple of weeks summer holidays in the sun to look forward to. Nothing wrong with that, I had a great time but it consisted of getting home from work, dinner, out to the same couple of pubs every night of the week to meet mates, cards, darts, a few pints. Weekends same sort of thing. Out with mates or girlfriend to local town or Sheffield, more beer, if your lucky you managed to pull as well. Saturday and Sunday football followed by pub again.

We used to play five a side every Wednesday night with the same bunch of guys and go for a few beers in the same pub after. That was 35 years ago. When I was back on holiday, 5 years ago I bumped into a mate who I'd not seen since then. He asked if I wanted a game of 5 a side at the same venue, with the same people, followed by drinks in the same pub. I would have jumped at the chance and it would have been great to catch up with them all but the family had other ideas and I couldn't make it.

Depends what you want out of life but I am really happy that the things I used to so look forward to going to the hotter countries for, sun, sea, beaches, watersports, bars, restaurants with a bit of a view and holiday makers actually wanting to come to where I live.

I preferred Perth when it was a bit quieter to be honest, not so much traffic, less people, smaller City. As it gets bigger we are going to get the big City problems.

And people don't do the same thing time and time again here..!

And people don't do the same thing time and time again here..!

Yes, of course they do, including me. But I love the lifestyle here and what we do and don't feel the need to travel anywhere else. We went to Sydney for a long weekend a few weekends ago. Wasn't a cheap trip by the time we'd booked hotels and flights and ate out. Sydney is great and we had a good time but I would rather have been home for the weekend, doing what I usually do.

I've noticed in the last year,the numbers emigrating to SA seem to be increasing and I think its because its cheaper to buy housing than the other cities.That reason alone is not a good enough reason.You have to actually like the place,not move there because you might think you have no choice.

I think one of the reasons more people are arriving in SA is the lack of State Sponsorship for certain trades in other States and SS is quite a big contributing factor when looking for a route into Australia.

Personally, i wouldnt consider driving Sydney to Melbourne when there are perfectly good aircraft.

Yes, and you're not alone....but quite a few people would so it is a consideration for some, not all. I for one would miss our road trips and it would work out far more expensive to book flights for all the people in the car plus hire car plus carry all the necessary and fun child stuff etc. You miss a lot of Australia when you fly so we enjoy exploring in between.

As for other towns, Perth is no different. From Perth itself, you have Mandurah, Margaret River, Bunbury and all the others down south. A myriad of towns in the farming areas. Plenty north as well. We lived in Sydney before Perth and its no easier to get to different places than it is from Perth.

Yes, no different to get to different places but most of those places are very small I believe. It is the mix of small and larger places I would miss. Leaving your own city and going to lots of other places with a decent population to check out the built environment and see what other people have been up to for a change. I would miss not having the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, Toowoomba, Hervey Bay, Armidale, Newcastle, Mackay, Townsville, Rockhampton, Sydney, Canberra etc all within striking distance. For others they wouldn't mind...so I think it is something that needs considering as it would be a deal breaker for some but not others.

Not wanting to drag up the whole thing again but what is it that people want to do that they can't in Perth? I'm intrigued that's all ! I'm not much for nightlife these days preferring family life but 10 or so years ago there was plenty of nightlife to be found in Perth. I would love all the free open air opportunities for families in Perth. And for getaways you are so close to the stunning south west coast eg Esperance. Two people's Bay is one of my favourite places. If you get a hobby/ get involved in something you would find you don't have time to get bored!

Very true but it's even further from Adelaide or Perth to ANYWHERE!

I'm not sure where you think Adelaide is, but according to this site http://www.sydney.com.au/distance-between-australia-cities.htm Adelaide is closer to Melbourne than Sydney is, and the journey takes about the same amount of time on the road. It's also only three hours longer from Adelade to Sydney by road than it is from Brisbane to Sydney by road.

Yes, and you're not alone....but quite a few people would so it is a consideration for some, not all. I for one would miss our road trips and it would work out far more expensive to book flights for all the people in the car plus hire car plus carry all the necessary and fun child stuff etc. You miss a lot of Australia when you fly so we enjoy exploring in between.

Yes, no different to get to different places but most of those places are very small I believe. It is the mix of small and larger places I would miss. Leaving your own city and going to lots of other places with a decent population to check out the built environment and see what other people have been up to for a change. I would miss not having the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, Toowoomba, Hervey Bay, Armidale, Newcastle, Mackay, Townsville, Rockhampton, Sydney, Canberra etc all within striking distance. For others they wouldn't mind...so I think it is something that needs considering as it would be a deal breaker for some but not others.

But there is no way, anyone is going to drive between a lot of them places. Such as Sydney to Townsville. Thats a damned decent flight, never mind a drive.

Most of the towns in NSW are far duller than many of the towns in WA. I was based in several - Dubbo, Cobar and others and they cant compare with say Margaret River or Bunbury, Albany etc.

At the end of the day, if you want a big city with the attractions of a big city and other big cities close at hand, then do not under any circumstances move to Oz. Save the $30k or so it costs to move here and use it towards a move close to London, which as a city has million times more to offer than Melbourne or Sydney and has Paris a train ride away and the rest of UK towns and cities available in a car ride and Europe on the doorstep. Ita a no brainer.

I think it is quite a hard decision in a way because in some ways neither place is ideal. They are both fairly small and they are both a bit lacking in spark to my mind. Both look lovely though and people are friendly. Personally I would go Adelaide because I like the historical feeling there ( and I don't mean the back to the 50s lifestyle , either!) On a Friday night Adelaide is really hopping round the market area- don't know if you get much of that in Perth- I found it a big yawn over there, kept looking for where it was interesting but- nah.Having said that, I haven't actually lived there, only extended visits so maybe there are 'hidden talents'

But there is no way, anyone is going to drive between a lot of them places. Such as Sydney to Townsville. Thats a damned decent flight, never mind a drive.

I guess, that wasn't one of my examples and is at the extreme but some do....my examples were all based around living in Brisbane and I assure you many people drive from Brisbane to all the towns I mentioned...including me. The movement up and down the east coast freeways is constant.

At the end of the day, if you want a big city with the attractions of a big city and other big cities close at hand, then do not under any circumstances move to Oz. Save the $30k or so it costs to move here and use it towards a move close to London, which as a city has million times more to offer than Melbourne or Sydney and has Paris a train ride away and the rest of UK towns and cities available in a car ride and Europe on the doorstep. Ita a no brainer.

I don't understand the absolutism when we are discussing the full range of people. That doesn't cover my situation where I want to live in Australia but enjoy being a drive away from the places I mentioned. It also doesn't cover many more who feel the same. It doesn't have to be one extreme or the other.

The point isn't that no-one should move to Perth because it is isolated...I think that is a ridiculous statement and just as absolutist....and frankly it annoys me just like it must annoy some people in Perth...my point is simply that it should be considered as for some it will be a deal breaker, for others it won't. I'm not talking about your needs, I'm talking in general. In general it is something people should weigh up to see if it is an issue for them, it is as simple as that.

Archived