my reciept from my main weekly shop in oz family of 4

Guest paulwbafc

Guest paulwbafc

Just want to add that everyone has things they buy each week, stock up, freeze things. Etc so we don t buy same things every week, so yep items not on there you may want.

Just use the list as you will and how it compares to prices you pay yourself. Aldi is not cheap on everything I have found things in my local IGA and certain offers in Coles and woolies that beat Aldi. Swings and roundabouts. So just look at the post I did. And if it inspires you to shop around and save yourself some money in the process then I think this post I did was one worth posting.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The list s not a good indication at all, so many things missing that you do need, as a single bloke I tried to buy decent food we can all buy junk food cheap, cannot believe this is your average spend averaged over the year, I spent at least $150 a week as a single bloke.

p.s look at the list, it is fir a sinle person, no way could that feed a family in a week.

Edited by Perthbum

I think without any problem you can serve up a freshly made (not frozen or ready made muck)main meal for four for $12 ($3 per head).

Most Butchers have a few very very good special offers per week and there are umpteen side of the road veg stalls virtually giving stuff away.

In recent weeks we have sold:

Tassie lamb Shoulder chops for 5.99kg,Premium mince 5.99kg,Premium Lamb and Rosemary thick Sausages 4.99 kg,Hands of pickled pork 3.99kg,Shoulder pickled pork (on bone) 4.99kg,Crumbed yearling steak 6.99kg,Budget Rumps 5.99kg,Legs of pork 4.49kg plus many many more.

Not all cheap is crap(most is),take advantage of the special offers that some shops offer.

I do a big shop in Aldi every couple of weeks for basics and then go do either Coles, Woolworth's or IGA for milk and bread when I run out and pick up whatever is on special - much the same way that I did in the UK. I have also found a great local fruit shop and find it fairly easy to make meals for a reasonable price. I also pick up toiletries, cleaning and laundry products when they are on special or from shops like Bargain City or Crazy Clarks.

I will never forget my 1st visit to Coles when we arrived in February, it had been 5 years since our last visit and I felt horrified as I kept comparing prices to Tesco but pain has eased now that I have found alternatives!

no not me. my kids do thou and they often sort there friends out with a drink when they are round each others houses, i am guessing your kids are really young still or you don't have any yet. those bottles are 1.25 litre. Theres also the cordial that takes a hammering too.

you made me laugh thou i was not expecting that question, just the randomness of it lol

Do you have good private dental care for your kids ? with all the sugary drinks they consume!! lol

Guest Guest26012
The list s not a good indication at all, so many things missing that you do need, as a single bloke I tried to buy decent food we can all buy junk food cheap, cannot believe this is your average spend averaged over the year, I spent at least $150 a week as a single bloke.

p.s look at the list, it is fir a sinle person, no way could that feed a family in a week.

$150 geez! What were you eating! I spend about $100 per week and we eat well! You're having a laugh pb! How many years since you lived here? Did you live here at all? Lol! I doubt it!

I am going to work out what I buy and work it out over a week, example being if I buy shampoo/conditioner for $4 each and that last a month I will work it out at a $1 a week, so I am going to do that and get back, there has to be someone that spends close to $300 a week on food for a family, I am that stressed about it and I don't buy lots of crap either.

I am going to work out what I buy and work it out over a week, example being if I buy shampoo/conditioner for $4 each and that last a month I will work it out at a $1 a week, so I am going to do that and get back, there has to be someone that spends close to $300 a week on food for a family, I am that stressed about it and I don't buy lots of crap either.[/quote

Do you buy many ready made meals? I make most of mine from from scratch (nothing fancy but loads of herbs and spices to give flavour) and find it saves me heaps, couple of my friends and my brother buy loads of convenience food and I have been shocked when I've gone shopping with them. I never used to be good at shopping but gave up work when I had my eldest child and had to become more savvy.

I am going to work out what I buy and work it out over a week, example being if I buy shampoo/conditioner for $4 each and that last a month I will work it out at a $1 a week, so I am going to do that and get back, there has to be someone that spends close to $300 a week on food for a family, I am that stressed about it and I don't buy lots of crap either.

What do you eat?

We eat a lot of pasta and make our own sauces with canned of chopped tomatoes and veg. Very cheap meals. Can feed the family for about $5 for a main.

Also do things like risotto - again with lots of veg. Similar price.

We buy things like cereal on special - DS's cereal was half price a while ago and I bought over a dozen boxes!

ETA: We also buy fruit and veg from the Fruit Market and buy it when the price is right so if it's too much we don't buy it that week.

I cook everynight we hardly have take out maybe once a month and we lots of fresh fruit and veg, do spend a lot on yogurhts, cheese and ham, I always have nibbles in the freezer incase people turn up, and maybe a dip and chips/crackers but I am telling you I spend the least out of everyone I know, I will work it out and get back with an itemised list

What do you eat?

We eat a lot of pasta and make our own sauces with canned of chopped tomatoes and veg. Very cheap meals. Can feed the family for about $5 for a main.

Also do things like risotto - again with lots of veg. Similar price.

We buy things like cereal on special - DS's cereal was half price a while ago and I bought over a dozen boxes!

ETA: We also buy fruit and veg from the Fruit Market and buy it when the price is right so if it's too much we don't buy it that week.

Laughing at your mention about cereal - was in the supermarket last week when kids asked for a particular brand of cereal which they like and I told them they could only have the one that was on special and I would buy what they wanted when it was on special. My OH used to ask me why I bought 2 of most things when we were in Scotland my reply "buy one get one free", everything else was essential or half price.

Guest paulwbafc

Shopping trolley was full to the top almost. Several of those reusable bags filled. Not shopping till Thursday now. Got plenty in. You must have a big appetite. Ever thought of going on biggest loser?

Guest paulwbafc

Best buys discount food stores got great offers on

24 cans of sprite for $6:99

Dozen eggs 99c

24 slices coon cheese $3

3 packs of caramel profiteroles $2 for 3 packs

3 snickers bars $2

Shop around you know it makes sense

well I went and did a list last night and worked out everything and I still came in at about $250 a week, also we do not have Aldi in Wa, I use Coles,Woolworths and IGA all very close to were I live, I get my ham,potatoes and some fruit and veg from IGA.I do have a chest freezer and I like to get stuff in bulk when it is on special, also in my shopping costs I have included all toiletries down to shaving cream,razors and personal stuff. I admit I only use certain toilet paper and washing powder, but I really thought someone else would have said they spend around the same, but I suppose I am in Perth and we don't get bargains as good as you do in Brisbane by the sounds of it.

well I went and did a list last night and worked out everything and I still came in at about $250 a week, also we do not have Aldi in Wa, I use Coles,Woolworths and IGA all very close to were I live, I get my ham,potatoes and some fruit and veg from IGA.I do have a chest freezer and I like to get stuff in bulk when it is on special, also in my shopping costs I have included all toiletries down to shaving cream,razors and personal stuff. I admit I only use certain toilet paper and washing powder, but I really thought someone else would have said they spend around the same, but I suppose I am in Perth and we don't get bargains as good as you do in Brisbane by the sounds of it.

I'm in WA too, I would spend about $150 a week for the 2 of us.

Thank you Tisme my parents spend about $170 a week but always have a few nice things for the grandkids lol so they love going there. I have 2 kids and the lunches,recess after school snacks for them and friends it adds up, I was starting to think all I bought was crap from what others said but I have a few nice thing, I get a lot of dairy,fruit and veg .Laney