my reciept from my main weekly shop in oz family of 4

Guest paulwbafc

Guest paulwbafc

reciept.jpg

I have just done a weekly shop. This is how much I spent in ALDI, prices all listed. I spent an additional $25 in woolies getting cereal and other bits and bobs as I only buy what I want from ALDI that I have found cheaper than anywhere else local and still decent to justify buying. That particular shop based on my hourly rate of $41.50 takes me say 3 hours work to pay for. 3 hours work in uk on my old hourly rate from 4 years ago which I believe has gone down due to shift change was 12 quid an hour. $95 = 62 quid. I would need to work twice as long to pay for those items living in the uk compared to oz.

Just converting those prices to uk works out like this:

1.25l pop = 49p

milk 3 litre = 1.88p

cordial 2 litre = 1.49p

fruit salad large tin = 1.10p

frozen hash browns = 1.62p

frozen potatoe wedges = 1.30p

frozen french fries 1kg = 1.30p

500g shreaded cheese = 2.60p

frozen steam veg packs 450g = 1.30p

stir fry frozen veg 500g = 1.30p

garlic bread pack 450g = 1.10p

potatoes 2kg washed = 2.27p

sliced toast bread loaf = 64p

pikelets 8 pack = 1.30p

1kg carrots = 91p

1 avocado = 64p

tomatoes 800g = 1.30p

cucumber 1 whole = 55p

bannanas 1kg = 1.10p

salad crunchy pack = 1.95p

nectarines 1kg = 1.95p

salad mix = 1.30p

1kg yoghurt = 2.47p (harder to find in uk yoghurt in large 1killo pots)

marge 500g =91p

chicken drumsticks fresh = 2.51p

beef stir fry strips = 4.06p

pork loin steak 4 pack = 4.52p

whole large chicken fresh = 4.38p

shower gel 1 litre = 3.25p

baked beans = 57p

pasta sauce = 97p

stir fy sauce in jar like the uncle bens = 1.17p

Don't know how much all this would cost in UK. I know food etc is much more expensive in australia and no doubt somethings are far more expensive in coles, woolies, i know avocados are $2.49 in woolies and nectarines are $5 after there special discounts is applied. where i paid 99c for an avocado and $2.99c for nectarines. So it does pay to shop around as prices in australia can vary by a heck of a lot. I used to shop like i did in uk when i moved to australia, just go to coles or woolies, i used to spend $250 to $300 a week in there. I got shop savvy and buy same amount of groceries from $100 to $150. I would based on this if i lived in the UK to spend for family of 4 somewhere between 60 and 100 quid to equal my spend in australia. We all talk about how expensive australia is compared to uk so i would guess my uk shop for family of 4 would be about 50 to 80 quid tops as prices are cheaper in the uk.

The receipt above will be useful for any poms wandering how much groceries are in oz at the moment. It's an actual reciept with actual prices and not hearsay.

reciept.jpg

Edited by paulwbafc

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest paulwbafc
Do you really drink 7 bottles of soft drink a week ?

no not me. my kids do thou and they often sort there friends out with a drink when they are round each others houses, i am guessing your kids are really young still or you don't have any yet. those bottles are 1.25 litre. Theres also the cordial that takes a hammering too.

you made me laugh thou i was not expecting that question, just the randomness of it lol

Edited by paulwbafc

Guest paulwbafc
Wot no sausages?

got some last week, some italian ones just defrosted having them tommorow. 7 fresh last week was about $3, froze them. as you can see weve gone a bit veggie as trying to lose the weight we put on in uk last month after gouging on fish and chips, fried breakfasts and carvery dinners lol. plus xmas is coming

Guest paulwbafc
I drink a case of coke a week. I have to, the wife gets it free.

get her a job in a brewery see if she can bring back a free case of beer now that would be a wife for life. not a bad perk with the pop thou especially if you got kids

Sorry I still can't shop for under $250 a week I buy bulk, I spend at least $50 a week alone on dairy products do you not eat bread, do you have school age children? sorry can't see how anyone can spend that much on food a week. I see your receipt but there are no cleaning/toiletries sorry just seen showergel, does no one buy anything at all nice?? ice cream for a treat on the weekends, stuff for lunch, chocolate?? I am at a loss on this one and all my friends spend at $300 a week on food so, I do buy a cartoon of pepsi max a week, my kids don't drink soft drinks much mainly water, does no one drink tea/ coffee. I have honestly tried and I just can't see what I am doing wrong.

Glad for you though Paul:-)

Laney x

Guest guest76088

You should expect such rude responses if you post something personal as your food bill. When I saw the thread I knew there would be be posts making judgements based on your choice of groceries. It's a bit of a sad thing to do.

The original post is actually quite useful as it offers factual information rather than a lot of the BS I read here.

BigD

Do you really drink 7 bottles of soft drink a week ?

You should expect such rude responses if you post something personal as your food bill. When I saw the thread I knew there would be be posts making judgements based on your choice of groceries. It's a bit of a sad thing to do.

The original post is actually quite useful as it offers factual information rather than a lot of the BS I read here.

BigD

That was a question, it isn't rude at all.

I can shop that cheaply for two of us, but 'normal' is between $100-150. No Aldi here though.

For two people I buy more meat than you do for four. Three nights of meat missing there, and that certainly adds to the cost. That and my lunches for the week. And of course there are the things that you don't buy often, but when you do they bump that weeks shop, like dishwasher tablets, razors, toilet rolls etc etc.

I did my time trying to cut costs, I am enjoying buying nice steaks and joints of meat. :)

Guest guest41161

Sorry but you should be reported to social services for buying any form of cheap ass coke! Surely at $40 per hour you can at least give your kids real coke?

And they say the Scottish are tight!

It is useful information.

We have switched to do most of our shopping at Aldi now and are saving a good amount. It all adds up as almost every item is a little cheaper.

Our shopping isn't as cheap as that I can probably do it on $150 a week for 4 of us if I am careful. We get fruit and veg from a Fruit Market and don't eat a lot of meat (some meatballs and a roast a week maybe).

Now we have been here a while and know where and how to shop it is possible to do it quite reasonably.

Guest paulwbafc
I do have kids but I don't buy soft drink. Maybe very rarely in the holidays as a treat.

They get soft drink when we go to maccas or somewhere like that though.

But I wouldn't like them having it every day.

They won t drink anything else other than hot chocolate

Guest paulwbafc
Sorry but you should be reported to social services for buying any form of cheap ass coke! Surely at $40 per hour you can at least give your kids real coke?

And they say the Scottish are tight!

It actually tastes pretty good. Nothing in it, bit less sweater than normal coke. The Aldi fizzy orange is better than fanta it's more like a orange juice but fizzy a very decent drink. If it was crap I would pay extra. But the Aldi pop is very hard to beat in taste and price.

They won t drink anything else other than hot chocolate

Don't understand this comment. I thought you said they were drinking all the soft drink.

Anyway I absolutely understand how demanding kids can be and if they are used to drinking coke etc it will be very hard to change that habit.

Fortunately we never bought it so not an issue. But they do buy it when their out with their own money.

My shopping bill of late for a week including top ups of bread and milk from the local shop doesnt come in much under $300 if at all. I dont go to Aldi as much as i should (Woolys and Coles nearer so dont always have time to drive to Aldi). 6 years ago it was half this and only jumped up this last 12 mths, still it's not bad for 4 humans and 2 pooches. If i add the price of our cigs onto that i dread to think what the total would be,lol

Cal x

Guest paulwbafc

BigD

True. It's more to help people in uk so they can see what things can cost and others who just don't shop around and stick to same old places that supermarkets fruit markets etc prices can vary wildly not just be a few cents but massively. I cut my food bill down fr around $250 to $150 just looking at what costs where. Those savings soon add up. $100 a week saved on shopping smarter that's $5200 a year. In times of economic hardship it pays to shop around. Common knowledge Coles and woolies have a monopoly on food here. Good to see Aldi and the like offering a decent alternative.

We do most of our shopping aldi these days, and thank god I say. Before an aldi opened near us, it was fruit shop, then coles, then butchers. Took all day! Now all done in about 30 mins, costs about half as much too. I occasionally begrudgingly go into coles for stuff like marmite....with a sneer on my face.

Guest paulwbafc
Don't understand this comment. I thought you said they were drinking all the soft drink.

Anyway I absolutely understand how demanding kids can be and if they are used to drinking coke etc it will be very hard to change that habit.

Fortunately we never bought it so not an issue. But they do buy it when their out with their own money.

Only hot chocolate on occasion. 90% pop thou. Recently taken a liking for nesquick milkshake as very quickly going thru milk at the moment hence the 2 3litre milk I got lol.

Guest paulwbafc
Sorry I still can't shop for under $250 a week I buy bulk, I spend at least $50 a week alone on dairy products do you not eat bread, do you have school age children? sorry can't see how anyone can spend that much on food a week. I see your receipt but there are no cleaning/toiletries sorry just seen showergel, does no one buy anything at all nice?? ice cream for a treat on the weekends, stuff for lunch, chocolate?? I am at a loss on this one and all my friends spend at $300 a week on food so, I do buy a cartoon of pepsi max a week, my kids don't drink soft drinks much mainly water, does no one drink tea/ coffee. I have honestly tried and I just can't see what I am doing wrong.

Glad for you though Paul:-)

Laney x

Get toiletries elsewhere, do get laundry powder at Aldi thou but were good for a week or 2 yet. Usually spend on ice cream chocs too which but still got lots in which is a first. Usually if I through in some toiletries chocs usually around $130. I am off the chocs as not liking my new waistline lol. Think we can all relate to that. For me to bust $300 I would have to smoke and drink copious amounts of booze. We don t smoke and I don t drink vast amount of booze. Few in the pub on a Friday and round mates Wednesday when we meet and play pool and game of darts with a curry. Breaks the week up.

Guest paulwbafc
We do most of our shopping aldi these days, and thank god I say. Before an aldi opened near us, it was fruit shop, then coles, then butchers. Took all day! Now all done in about 30 mins, costs about half as much too. I occasionally begrudgingly go into coles for stuff like marmite....with a sneer on my face.

I dropped daughter off in school went to the aldi. Smaller store get round quick have most I need, fill my bags I take in and out. Then nip into woolies or Coles with a basket in and out. The cost of those 2 compared to Aldi borders on extortion. With Aldi you have to experiment a bit. Majority of the time the stuff I have found to be actually very good and on current affair they often do well on product tests. If I shopped only on Coles and or woolies we would spend more not just because of the prices but because there choice is wider in those stores, so me especially am less disciplined for something nice.