Labour agreement

SKIPPY59

We received an email from downunder placements last night saying that as long as a visa has been issued by 20th march then we can start after that. Which is good as that's only 5 weeks away. They are still trying to find jobs for us too but say the floods are not helping.

Hopefully we will hear something soon because I hate this feeling of being in limbo.

Vicky

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just had a response to say the job market has changed over there and jobs in my area - construction - are going more to Australians but OBI are negotiating positions at the moment for people who have been offered 457 LA. They can't, by law, apply for the visa until a job offer has been secured. However, candidates can source their own jobs and refer the company to OBI.

They have said 'hang on in there'!!!

Doing the Labour Hire companies's job for them!!! Also if OBI are sponsoring you, you will be employed by THEM not the company you find a job with, and some companies may be reluctant to do this as they will be charging a lot more for contracting you out to a company than if a worker is employed directly by the company.

Also you should not have to pay a Labour Hire company, the get their money by charging the employers extorionate hourly rates. Why do you need a Vetassess if you are going on a 457? Is this a requirement?

Edited by AJ

The visa hasn't been issued and will not be until a job is set in stone,all paper work has been done and its a pre approved visa,I bet many will be reluctant to take on the extra cost of employing one under a LA. vetassess was done because the skills needed to be proved although we wasn't aware of this cost first of all and actually we still have not had the Certs anyone else had them ? I'm just basically repeating what world wide recruit have told me

Yes i agree doing the labour hire company job for them but what choices are there if they are struggling to find employers we have to try everything we can. Just one point we weren't asked to get skills assessed - luckily because we are also applying for our own visa we have had that done but it wasn't one of the requirements for the 457. The fee paid was an admin charge I understand ......

Yes i agree doing the labour hire company job for them but what choices are there if they are struggling to find employers we have to try everything we can. Just one point we weren't asked to get skills assessed - luckily because we are also applying for our own visa we have had that done but it wasn't one of the requirements for the 457. The fee paid was an admin charge I understand ......

I hope it all works out for you but this doesnt sound good. A Labour Hire company that cant find jobs for you but are charging you an admin fee for the privilege of findingyour own job? What admin have they done? Have heard this one before about a company in Perth. The guys waiting on sponsorship are still waiting since last March. Being strung along I think while all the admin fees are happily in the bank. Have you read up on 457 and Labour Agreements on the IMMI website, it will give you all the conditions and who can apply etc.

I have not paid any admin fees, just the vetassess although we still do not have the certs?

i must have sent out 70 resumes for jobs and company's but having no luck. We were asked what wage we were looking at for a project manager for a structural company we said $40 hour and she hasn't got back now? We have had many replies that say they won't hire overseas candidates which is a shame because friends in perth say they are crying out for workers.

my husband has a WHV which runs out sept ,how likely do you lot think it would be for him to go out work for a company on his WHV but have a possible sponsor for it?

We are a little down we assumed we would be there now as that's what we were told by world wide recruit,having the 3 children is also a difficult thing because we don't want to make a mistake,not sure where to go from here.

would anyone suggest phoning the jobs instead of emails?

hi Clara, If he has a WHV I would strongly suggest he goes and uses it. Although it will be hard to be separated I think it will be the best chance of getting face to face with potential employers. Once they see him face to face and see what he can do, then he can explain fully what the 457 entails. Currently we're applying for all these jobs and as soon as they see we're still in UK, we get dismissed straight away.

I was in Sydney (1999-2000) on a WHV, working for Westpac, after 3 months they wanted to sponsor me to stay, but at the time I just wanted to do my year and go home - I could kick myself now, but at the time I wasn't ready to stay over there on my own.

I'm keeping everything crossed that WWR come up trumps and we all get our 457's, but we have to be practical. I just wish I was young enough for a WHV!!!!

To be honest, in my opinion these Labour Hire companies are a total waste of time. They cannot sponsor you for a 457 unless they have a job for you to go to. They are building up peoples hopes and feeding them crap about how they can be over in Australia soon. I think a lot of it is just to get people on their books willing to move if they ever do get a contract to supply some of the labour that they are talking about. And as far as telling people to source their own jobs is an absolute joke! Many companies who use contract workers through these Labour Hire Companies will be large companies who only take people on for certain amount of times, eg when they get a big job in and then its just like working for an agency in the UK, when its done, so is your job!

Edited by AJ

AJ - thanks for.your positive attitude, I'm sure we all feel so.much better now....

Angie Pike - we have been told the same as you. Where abouts are you looking to move to? We are hoping to be near Brisbane or the gold coast.

Vicky

Well what do you want me to do - lie to you and tell you they are the greatest ever and you will be out here earning thousands in a couple of months? I have said it before on here, some of them (not saying the one you are using) are just lining up people just incase they get jobs in - no guarantee of work even though they tell you all sorts - just the same as some of the agencies in the UK

Edited by AJ

Can everyone be waiting for the Certs? I payed for ours in oct/ nov how about you?

Our latest email has been yet again ignored

What were you assessed as? Where did you do your Assessment? Can you not contact Vetassess direct?

I think AJ does have some valid points. I think as well, that you should all be aware that employment in WA isnt as booming as it was. It was heavily conected to the mining boom, but the boom has ended.

Then, you should know that 457's are becoming a bit of a political issue at the moment as the unions are running a campaign against them - even got some TV adverts going and one company that was advertising for possible 457's recently had pressure put on it to withdraw. That one is discussed briefly on here. So companies are being very careful about taking them on.

That's right no dependants but I thought as we have somewhere to stay as long as I had enough money in my bank account and not my husbands that that would mine neither me or our child are dependant?

And what is going on with 457s, stupidly we were swept away with what we were told and my husba d sold most of his buisness so really we need to leave, I can't think of another way, were going to struggle here in the UK if we stay but do we leave on a whim and hope we find a company that will sponsor

That's right no dependants but I thought as we have somewhere to stay as long as I had enough money in my bank account and not my husbands that that would mine neither me or our child are dependant?

And what is going on with 457s, stupidly we were swept away with what we were told and my husba d sold most of his buisness so really we need to leave, I can't think of another way, were going to struggle here in the UK if we stay but do we leave on a whim and hope we find a company that will sponsor

You can not take children on a WHV. No ifs or buts.