Children better off in Oz?

VERYSTORMY

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nothing IMO, If you are a parent who takes your kids camping swimming fishing walking, you will do it in oz, if you are a parent who lets your kids spend hours on the internet you will do it in oz, blaming the weather is a poor excuse as we have until this year been in drought for the last 3 years.

Guest AKA63029

I guess it depends on each circumstance Stormy.

'Better Life' can encompass a whole host of options, some particular to each and some a fairly 'constant' in most.

Better job prospects, better outdoor lifestyle, more options, all types of things.

Personally when I went/go I don't look upon it as such 'better' but totally different.]

My two Herbert's are now grown up, so it is 'their' decision to come, go or stay.

But when they were younger I still wouldn't have made the move for the children's education, outdoors, health care as I was very happy with most things in the UK, as I am now.

But all I want is that the two kids if they 'want' to experience the 'difference', be they good, bad, or indifferent.

Cheers Tony.

It is more of an outdoor lifestyle because the weather is better so they may be thinking of that. Kids tend to spend a lot of time outside and are often into sports- more perhaps than in most of the UK as a generalisation. The school curriculum is broad and there is a lot of emphasis on social development - just as much as academic stuff. Not everyone likes this of course but we did. Most Aussie kids get their license at 18 and then they take off at weekends, often off to beaches etc- or parents' beach houses more like! Outr kids found the UK totally claustrophobic when they were young ( on visits) but liked it when they were in their 20s ( esp London)- again, as long term visitors. My daughter went in her early 30s when she had 2 babies for a few months and detested it in London because she said it was child- unfriendly and the people were rude and unfriendly. She loved New York, though,where she went for 6 months immediately after. Me, I think its a no-brainer and would always reckon Australia was better for young kids up to age 16.

Guest guest36187

Speaking for me and my OH, in the uk we barely saw each other! Opposite shifts, excessive hours, we would go weeks literally having no time together apart from sleeping in the same bed......at the same time occasionally!!!

Here in oz, I work less hours than in uk. I earn more and we have the same days off each week together.

I know of some families that have moved out here and they have subsequently enjoyed much more time as a family.

I am curios. A lot of people say they want to move to Oz because it will be better for their children. Why do you think that? What will Oz offer that the UK doesn't?

Less pressure to be "grown up" before they are ready. And in my case a larger extended family.

Speaking for me and my OH, in the uk we barely saw each other! Opposite shifts, excessive hours, we would go weeks literally having no time together apart from sleeping in the same bed......at the same time occasionally!!!

Here in oz, I work less hours than in uk. I earn more and we have the same days off each week together.

I know of some families that have moved out here and they have subsequently enjoyed much more time as a family.

not arguing joanne but for the life of me I cannot see the difference, in general i found especially on the building trade the hours were longer in oz than in the uk I would honestly say you have more family time here.

not arguing joanne but for the life of me I cannot see the difference, in general i found especially on the building trade the hours were longer in oz than in the uk I would honestly say you have more family time here.

We would have more family time in the UK. MY OH worked just 10 minutes from where we lived and I worked part time from home. In Aus we will probably be living further away from my OH's work and I have no idea where or if I will be working. We will also probably have less disposable income. However we are hoping that with a smaller house and garden there will be less maintance jobs to do and we will make more of the time we do have together as a family, spending time with extended family, at the beach or in one of the many parks in and around Adelaide.

Guest guest36187

We are the opposite. I lived forty mins from work in the uk. Here , I am less than five mins away. OH was half hr away, now ten minutes.

We both earn more. I work less, he works bout eights hr more a week. We have the same days off every week and are home together five nights out of seven!

cant complain at that

Can also depend what part of the country you stay in and what jobs you have etc.

In OZ you may be able to stay in a safer area than you could afford in the UK.

I know where I'm living just now I wouldn't want my kids growing up here as there is alot of drugs, violence and gangs etc.

And that's with a well paid job and nice flat etc. Good areas are few and far between.

Can also depend what part of the country you stay in and what jobs you have etc.

In OZ you may be able to stay in a safer area than you could afford in the UK.

I know where I'm living just now I wouldn't want my kids growing up here as there is alot of drugs, violence and gangs etc.

dont go to Northbride perth then, thats where i lived.

Guest Shell15

My opionion is that so long as the parents are happy - where ever that may be - then the kids are going to be happy as well. Children are so adaptable, however are very in tune with there surroundings and that of there nearest and dearest, being us as parents. If we are constantly negative about life then it will rub of on them.. my opinion only!

My opionion is that so long as the parents are happy - where ever that may be - then the kids are going to be happy as well. Children are so adaptable, however are very in tune with there surroundings and that of there nearest and dearest, being us as parents. If we are constantly negative about life then it will rub of on them.. my opinion only!

spot on, you can have a fantastic life in oz or the uk with good parents rain or shine.

In my opinion (looking to the future) I think (from our perspective) it's about what is on offer for my kids when it comes to leaving school, they may only be 7 & 2 at the moment, but looking at how overcrowded the UK is, how the government has forced pensioners to work later and lack of jobs available to school leaders, it seems the best thing to have done for my kids!

Also I agree with joanne we have more time together as a family, my wife used to commute 3 hours daily, now it's a 20 min walk, better for her and health benefit too!

Personally i think the biggest benefit is that its much more enjoyable to do outdoor activites in family time here because its drier and warmer the majority of the time ,its more fun. Unltimately, if you have fun doing it = You do it more.

I also find the amount of free child friendly places catering to a large age range is better here than what we had access to in the UK, so the added bonus is when your always exploring new places its hard to get bored.

Cal x

Guest Shell15

We are a very outdoor family and so are our children..so Australia is good for us, however if your not then that kind of life would not make you happy hence having an effect on the happiness of your family.. I could go to the beach every day and never get bored, that's not for every one though! Different courses for different horses lol I think that is the saying I have seen on here a few times and its very true..if the saying is incorrect then just ignore but Im sure you get ma drift :)

Its possible to an extent, depending on where you lived in the UK and where you choose to live here. Where we are living here is miles less populated so of course has less crime, less village idiots, and less drugs,,,, Hoons (Boy Racers) are still on par though,you cant escape them...lol..

Cal x

Some interesting answers so far. I don't get the idea of escaping drugs and gangs though. Especially as Oz has some of the highest drug use in the world

Hmmm....yes. Growing up in Melbourne, there was a LOT of drug use among young people - and I grew up in affluent Bayside, so it's not as if I was associating with a certain social background. I don't know - is it a boredom thing? I think about it quite a lot though, especially now as we have kids. When we went back to Melbourne for a holiday recently, there were three adults (early 40s?) on a train with a girl of about 8. They were quite clearly off their heads on something, giggling to themselves and slurring...the poor little girl was in rags and was dirty. Horrible - I wanted to kidnap her. Anyway, I would be more worried about drugs in Australia than the UK, personally.

Archived