Children better off in Oz?

VERYSTORMY

Some interesting answers so far. I don't get the idea of escaping drugs and gangs though. Especially as Oz has some of the highest drug use in the world

Im sure the UK is much higher ! (No pun intended) than Australia, especially when your dealing with hard core class A drugs.... Australia does have huge social problems though, I do appreciate that and reading the post above im probably completely wrong.

From my own experience, living in Australia for 2 years, then coming back to the UK was quite shocked as I waited in line at ASDA's listening to the locals speak. They sounded slightly more ignorant than the average Aussie I would be listening to waiting in line at Coles !! I was forced to listen to some chav girl with a baby hanging onto her hips as she shouted down her cell phone " im gonna kick his fu**ing head in and rob the c*** "

charming ! I might have been living in a bubble up on the sunshine coast but who cares, it was a nice bubble and I certainly wasn't confronted with this kind of thing !

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Andy
yep everyone has different circumstances, but in general there is no more family time from one country to the other.

How on earth have you drawn this conclusion? Have you got children?

opiates are probably the worst and im sure far more consumed in the UK than Australia. Opiates cause massive increases in other types of criminal activity. In Australia there might be more weed and ecstasy, these types of drugs have less social impact than heroin....

opiates are probably the worst and im sure far more consumed in the UK than Australia. Opiates cause massive increases in other types of criminal activity. In Australia there might be more weed and ecstasy, these types of drugs have less social impact than heroin....

nahhhh, just as much hard drugs in oz as the uk, I should know.

How on earth have you drawn this conclusion? Have you got children?

welll think about it, if the average working week is the same (except for the building trade that does a lot more hours in oz) you spend as much time with your family in oz or the uk....aint rocket science andy for christs sake.

I'm genuinely curious now about he drugs thing....

http://www.nationaldrugstrategy.gov.au/internet/drugstrategy/publishing.nsf/Content/FD973BE3A786C9B0CA257682000E70DC/$File/eval12.pdf

World Drug Report indicates that Australia has the highest prevalence of use of ‘ecstasy’ of any nation, far higher than most other nations. Our rate is also high in the case of amphetamines: El Salvador (3.0%) is the only nation reporting a higher prevalence of use. While the Australian figure for cannabis exceeds that of many other nations, the prevalence of use is less than some other English-speaking western nations including NZ, the USA and Canada. The

reported prevalence of cocaine use is far lower than that in the USA and also lower than that reported for Canada and England and Wales. Similarly, Australia’s reported prevalence rate for opioids is lower than that of the UK and the USA.

http://www.nationaldrugstrategy.gov.au/internet/drugstrategy/publishing.nsf/Content/FD973BE3A786C9B0CA257682000E70DC/$File/eval12.pdf

World Drug Report indicates that Australia has the highest prevalence of use of ‘ecstasy’ of any nation, far higher than most other nations. Our rate is also high in the case of amphetamines: El Salvador (3.0%) is the only nation reporting a higher prevalence of use. While the Australian figure for cannabis exceeds that of many other nations, the prevalence of use is less than some other English-speaking western nations including NZ, the USA and Canada. The

reported prevalence of cocaine use is far lower than that in the USA and also lower than that reported for Canada and England and Wales. Similarly, Australia’s reported prevalence rate for opioids is lower than that of the UK and the USA.

not surprised.

Guest Andy
welll think about it, if the average working week is the same (except for the building trade that does a lot more hours in oz) you spend as much time with your family in oz or the uk....aint rocket science andy for christs sake.

I take it by that response that you have not got kids, and in that case i would suggest that your comments about family life and whether it is better or worse in oz are not relevant as every family is different and i can assure you that many people i have spoken to and met while over there are convinced that their family life has and quality of family life has improved since being in Australia.

I take it by that response that you have not got kids, and in that case i would suggest that your comments about family life and whether it is better or worse in oz are not relevant as every family is different and i can assure you that many people i have spoken to and met while over there are convinced that their family life has and quality of family life has improved since being in Australia.

they would say that wouldn't they, as the people who say their kids are better off in the uk when they return, think about it andy.

ok, there is shorter working hours in the uk in the building trade, sssoooo if you are a tradie expect longer working hours in oz for sure with less family time....proof is I done it.:animal-beaver:

No you didn't. You generalised. how do you know how many hours every tradie works, either in the UK or Oz and just what percentage of the workforce are tradies? I know plenty of tradies who only work a 3 or 4 day week

No you didn't. You generalised. how do you know how many hours every tradie works, either in the UK or Oz and just what percentage of the workforce are tradies? I know plenty of tradies who only work a 3 or 4 day week

:laugh: bollocks.....unless they don't need to work or are getting their 40 plus hours a week in over 3 days.

I wonder how exactly they gather these statistics...

That's a joke, right? there are plenty of opiates in Australia. Even in nice middle class Canberra the prevalence of drugs was eye watering - cocaine for the shiny bums and crack and ice for the lower echelons. I know that the drug of choice is alcohol but it wasnt until I worked with people in a drug agency that I quite realized the extent of the problem, many of us just walk around the druggies in the street and dont realize how much drug abuse there really is. Another big problem in Aus is gambling and a good number of gamblers are quite young people - Aus percapita is more than 3 times as much on the pokies as UK for example.

Add to that the higher rates of mental health disorders and youth suicides in Australia and I find it hard to argue anything more than different not better.

Even the "outdoors" thing still bemuses me - we were very much an outdoors family both in UK (lovely long distance walks) and Australia but it was harder in Aus because of that weather that everyone thinks is fabulous - the heat - is more of an outside disincentive than not and when it rains in Aus (and you are out in the bush in it) you dont just get damp you get sodden. Thus far in UK I havent been unable to do anything outside when I have chosen to do so whereas summer in Aus would see me inside with the curtains closed and the house shut up against the heat.

I dont know that we had any more family time than we would have in UK - both DH and I had to work long hours, it was expected in our jobs and our family life was certainly no better than, say, my UK friends who had kids at the same time as us.

Comparing my kids with my friends' kids - no distinct advantage at being raised in Aus, in fact one of them has found far better opportunities in UK career wise and being able to get on the property ladder and my friends' kids seem to be similarly placed. My grandkids dont seem to be having any miraculously better experiences than my friends' grandkids and they have the disadvantage of having one set of grandparents on the other side of the world away from them. My son still in Aus, I venture to say, would probably be less of a crackpot if he had grown up in UK LOL

I think my daughter’s childhood in the UK is different to that of her cousins in Australia, but I don’t believe it is better or worse. She fills her spare time doing umpteen different things (courtesy of mum’s taxi service) and rarely worries about the weather. She enjoys school, is doing well, and is a happy, polite, great girl. One of her cousins loves doing all sorts of out door stuff in Australia the other doesn’t, but finds different ways to fill his time. Both cousins are happy, well adjusted kids.

Who knows what the future will hold for any of them? Economies peak and trough all the time, and governments come and go. Personally I would only consider a move for the sake of my child if I had concerns about her lifestyle now, today. If I can give her a happy childhood and the confidence to take advantage of the opportunities that come her way, she can make her own decisions in the future....when the time is right for her to do it.

I think where you live and how you live is probably a big factor. We aren’t working long hours, living in a crime ridden area or struggling to find things to do that aren’t subject to the UK weather. But I know life is tougher in some areas of the UK, and I think all any parent can do is weigh up the pros and cons and go with your instincts. I’m just not sure that ‘life is better for kids here, there, or wherever’ is 100% true 100% of the time.

if your job allows you to have more family time....why cant you have as much family time in the uk?

My husband due to his job either had to work in London or overseas. That meant a massive commute or live away from home. For the first 7 years of our life in Perth he was home at 5.30 every night. Not something we experienced until we moved here. For my family the move to WA was a massive improvement for our family.

My husband due to his job either had to work in London or overseas. That meant a massive commute or live away from home. For the first 7 years of our life in Perth he was home at 5.30 every night. Not something we experienced until we moved here. For my family the move to WA was a massive improvement for our family.

same for me im often out the door by 5.45 and dont get back home till 7pm as I live outside of London...

same for me im often out the door by 5.45 and dont get back home till 7pm as I live outside of London...

Near Peterborough to London was 5.45 leaving home and 8.45pm getting home. No family life whatsoever. Here in Perth (until recently) it was 6.30am to 5.30pm. Far better.

As I say, works for some .

Guest sh7t man no way

children are better of with lots of love,and understanding--doesn't matter where you live as long as both are in full supply

Archived