Back in the uk one week in.

ghost

Before I write this post I would like to start by saying I am not writing this to get negative opinions from those that are really happy with their descision to live in Australia. I write this for those who are contemplating the move back and need to know that people are happy with their descision to return.

Ill start by saying I liked Australia but felt that the uk offered us more as a family after comparing the two places. I came home 3 weeks after my wife back to my house which had most of the furniture back and it felt just like home. It was raining and the sky was grey, the fields were green and even from a busy motorway I could see how beautful my native country was. I had never took the time before to look at it in this way. I've been out with my friends and like a typical night out in the uk talk to many random strangers through my course of an Evening , something I missed down under. 8 months had seen a few new buildings but nothing much had changed. The traffic wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, I find I'm driving to the speed limit now. The sky was grey ,and I missed the brightness of the day down under, but I wasn't sad to be home. The kids are back at school and happy to go. They are back with their friends and my youngest has come back to life and constantly wants to be out playing. We went to sainsburys and was just blown away with the choice and prices. No more stocking up on specials. Had a meal out which was cheap, and there are many more choice of restaurants. Internet is cheap with no setup or modem costs, and so fast. Sky tv is just wow , again no set up cost and got a great deal as I'm a returning customer.

Ysterday it was one of those 27 degrees days. Driving along with the roof down , enjoying the smells of the flowers was pretty amazing.

As for recession, there is typically. Alot of doom and gloom in the media, but I've seen it alot worse here a couple of years back.

We are all happy to be home, loved our time in aus, so pleased we had the opportunity to experience it, I look at it as a "gap year". Excited for our future here.

Before I write this post I would like to start by saying I am not writing this to get negative opinions from those that are really happy with their descision to live in Australia. I write this for those who are contemplating the move back and need to know that people are happy with their descision to return.

Ill start by saying I liked Australia but felt that the uk offered us more as a family after comparing the two places. I came home 3 weeks after my wife back to my house which had most of the furniture back and it felt just like home. It was raining and the sky was grey, the fields were green and even from a busy motorway I could see how beautful my native country was. I had never took the time before to look at it in this way. I've been out with my friends and like a typical night out in the uk talk to many random strangers through my course of an Evening , something I missed down under. 8 months had seen a few new buildings but nothing much had changed. The traffic wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, I find I'm driving to the speed limit now. The sky was grey ,and I missed the brightness of the day down under, but I wasn't sad to be home. The kids are back at school and happy to go. They are back with their friends and my youngest has come back to life and constantly wants to be out playing. We went to sainsburys and was just blown away with the choice and prices. No more stocking up on specials. Had a meal out which was cheap, and there are many more choice of restaurants. Internet is cheap with no setup or modem costs, and so fast. Sky tv is just wow , again no set up cost and got a great deal as I'm a returning customer.

Ysterday it was one of those 27 degrees days. Driving along with the roof down , enjoying the smells of the flowers was pretty amazing.

As for recession, there is typically. Alot of doom and gloom in the media, but I've seen it alot worse here a couple of years back.

We are all happy to be home, loved our time in aus, so pleased we had the opportunity to experience it, I look at it as a "gap year". Excited for our future here.

I am back in the UK for a visit at the moment, and experiencing some of the same things as you are. Nothing like 'time out' to make you appreciate what the UK has to offer. Yes, I know about all the problems, but the weather is good at the moment, everywhere is very green and yesterday I was out with a friend for lunch and a little window shopping, and couldn't get over how cheap everything was. I wanted to buy it all! Lol! (but didn't):biggrin:

Ghost

I am really pleased to read that you are happy to be in the UK. We too have made the decision just this week that we should return to the UK. We are making arrangements to be back there in July sometime and are currently sorting school places for starting in September for the children.

We have only been out a few months but for us it FEELS the right decision having looked at all of the circumstances. The children have been a big pull with daily echoes of missing their grandparents and friends and at the end of the day we only want them to be happy. Anyway we have told our parents now who were very surprised but are also very supportive about whatever decision we make and I think secretly excited at seeing their grandchildren so much sooner!

I could relate to a lot of your posts recently and just want you to know that you have made myself and my husband feel less isolated/crazy in deciding to return to our home in the UK because of the negative reactions of people we know out here who think we are crazy.

Hey up pal, knew you were coming home,im just back from perth ,and its dammed expensive anyway you gave it a go,whats right for you is not right for someone else.I do do tho believe tho perth gives a better way of life as i met several friends who went out several years ago and what they have got and standard of living they have, they would never get here.What i do like too is the free parking at the coastal car parks, free barbi gas at the park, and the family mentality.Knocking on the door at one of the schools gained us one hour with the head, no inconvenience,The teacher over here in the uk would have just looked thru the window over her glasses and asked for a written request for an appointment,so it was good to see a classless system in operation. On a bad note tho booze was mega expensive,lol. And it gets dark early. all the best pal and take care

Guest cookie13

Hi ghost, I just wanted to say I found your post really helpful. I'm new to the forum (hello!) and I stumbled across your post when I was googling for shipping companies from Australia to the UK - maybe it was fate!

My other half and I have been in Australia for four years and although we do enjoy our lives here we're contemplating a move back home - of course a lot of people think we're crazy, but after this amount of time it's starting to feel like the absolute right thing to do. My biggest concern is feeling regret at the other end, and I know it will be hard to find work and settle back down but your post reminded me of all the great things about the UK. Thank you.

We came from Leicester and haven't seen the old girl in 4 years. What's she like?

We lived in highfields (very glam lol) but loved and miss the restaurants and pubs and things. Vicky park on a night walking back in the snow from a few drinks on queens road is something I miss a LOT

We are all happy to be home, loved our time in aus, so pleased we had the opportunity to experience it, I look at it as a "gap year". Excited for our future here.[/quote)

Fantastic post. Great you hear you are happy to be back Ghost. I too look at the UK in a different light, great experience in Oz but there is no place like home.

Excellent post! I wish that I had been aware of sites like this when I returned to the UK in 2006. The Aussies gave me the impression that I was the first Pom to EVER return to the UK and that I needed psychiatric help for making such a decision.

Guest guest66832
Ghost

I am really pleased to read that you are happy to be in the UK. We too have made the decision just this week that we should return to the UK. We are making arrangements to be back there in July sometime and are currently sorting school places for starting in September for the children.

We have only been out a few months but for us it FEELS the right decision having looked at all of the circumstances.

Just as a matter of interest, how long, from first thinking about it, right through the Visa process, to actually flying out, did it take to get to Oz?

And how long had you been in Oz when you decided to return home?

Just as a matter of interest, how long, from first thinking about it, right through the Visa process, to actually flying out, did it take to get to Oz?

I really hope that this is not the start of somebody having to justify their decision to return to the UK!

We started seriously thinking about it in 2006, visited for a reccie in 2009, started the process 2010 moved out 2011, 4 months in we started to think perhaps aus wasn't all we had believed it to be, by month 5 we really started to weigh up all the pros and cons and decided whilst life was good in aus, it was, In fact better in the uk. Wife moved back after 7 months , myself after 8.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Best of luck mate you seem a decent guy, you don't do Australia down .... Much, lol. The UK still has a lot to offer, we have a great life, but we have good well paid jobs. Be lucky.

We came from Leicester and haven't seen the old girl in 4 years. What's she like?

We lived in highfields (very glam lol) but loved and miss the restaurants and pubs and things. Vicky park on a night walking back in the snow from a few drinks on queens road is something I miss a LOT

Worked in leics a few times ......yes there are still the old suburbs , but the rugby and football ground area is all new .

The tigers ground is very impressive ......considering it used to be a couple of old stands and a shed ......

Best of luck mate you seem a decent guy, you don't do Australia down .... Much, lol. The UK still has a lot to offer, we have a great life, but we have good well paid jobs. Be lucky.

I dont have anything bad to say about aus at all hoff. I could have been quite happy there. Just think I'm happier here.

I dont have anything bad to say about aus at all hoff. I could have been quite happy there. Just think I'm happier here.

Am glad you are feeling good about your return :)

I think there is a lot going for the UK still in terms of personal happiness and wellbeing. We are really happy here and we are not moving because we don't like it or are unhappy or want out of it because its a hellhole. I married an Aussie, so always knew one day we'd probably be heading that way. We are not saying it s a forever move. Just we want to be there, at least for a while. But both of us freely admit we love our UK lives and are content with them. Its good you've been positive about both places, given me some inspiration.

You know, thinking some more, you sound similar to my husband in how you think about both the countries.

He loves both, can see the good and not so good from them also. But his main thing is that his family are happy. If we (his son and myself) are happy, he is happy. If that makes sense. Sure he wants to be in a place that he likes also, but he's not fully content till we are. He'd move in a heartbeat if he felt it was the best thing for his family. I'd not drag him to live somewhere he hated or anything and vice versa but he can be relaxed knowing we are content and if that helps him feel good about life then :)

I don't know if I've explained it well, but I hope it came over ok :cute:

You know, thinking some more, you sound similar to my husband in how you think about both the countries.

He loves both, can see the good and not so good from them also. But his main thing is that his family are happy. If we (his son and myself) are happy, he is happy. If that makes sense. Sure he wants to be in a place that he likes also, but he's not fully content till we are. He'd move in a heartbeat if he felt it was the best thing for his family. I'd not drag him to live somewhere he hated or anything and vice versa but he can be relaxed knowing we are content and if that helps him feel good about life then :)

I don't know if I've explained it well, but I hope it came over ok :cute:

Give him a week on pio, that would sort that out..before you know it he'd be calling you a whingeing pom and defending every negative post against Australia!

Archived