'Grass greener' ~ 'Rose tinted glasses' views of the UK

cartertucker

We have just arrived back in the UK after many years in Australia and we havent encountered all these miserable people although we were warned they were everywhere :) Quite the opposite in fact everyone has been happy, cheerful and helpful. Actually we met today the very first person who said they would sooner live in Australia than the UK, she was from up North and had never been to Australia though LOL.

I agree, as I say....I bet they all cheered up when he buggared back to Oz :laugh: I never seen miserable people oz or in the uk, it would be funny if people just went around all day with a huge grin on their faces.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest gladtobehome

Before we returned to the UK we kept hearing how everyone was miserable, wouldnt look you in the eyes and were all worried about their jobs. I can only assume they were referring to an alternate universe. :biggrin:

I agree, as I say....I bet they all cheered up when he buggared back to Oz :laugh: I never seen miserable people oz or in the uk, it would be funny if people just went around all day with a huge grin on their faces.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Before we returned to the UK we kept hearing how everyone was miserable, wouldnt look you in the eyes and were all worried about their jobs. I can only assume they were referring to an alternate universe. :biggrin:

Someone else used to post things like this.

Guest gladtobehome

Sorry, is that a question, Im not sure what you are saying ??

Someone else used to post things like this.

I always wonder about the people who say they love it here. Do you really ? LOVE IT

I think they must be like a psyhcotic snow white " Hello crows, Hello Flies, Hello Kangaroos" how wonderful it is to live in Australia.

Honestly its same **** different day, oh but look the suns out. Shall we go to the beach AGAIN !

I always wonder about the people who say they love it here. Do you really ? LOVE IT

I think they must be like a psyhcotic snow white " Hello crows, Hello Flies, Hello Kangaroos" how wonderful it is to live in Australia.

Honestly its same **** different day, oh but look the suns out. Shall we go to the beach AGAIN !

Not sure how many can be pigeon holed that way...........in OZ or UK. That seems to be the general gist of conversation though............trying to slot 'them' into some nice little bundle all packaged up as an ideological 'failure'. Perhaps best avoided by both 'sides' by living the life they want to live, with its magical beach & alton tower moments and stay away from these forums. I'm sure folk would feel much better.

I seem to have lost my dwarfs

Reminds me of the Removals guy that picked up our stuff from Perth. Was a 10 pound pom, lived there 30 yrs, kids had left Perth

gone to Queensland (eldest son in the army & stationed there) & other in Victoria. Kept saying to us "great country, never turn your back, never turn your back!" (whilst rocking back & forth... only kidding!)

true story. Hubby & I laughed & was our catch phrase all the way home....!!

I know how you feel cartertucker. I think in everyone there is this innate sense of 'there must be something better than this.' Perth is a great place but day to day life is just normal. You are just living in a different place with a different climate. Think about things carefully and consider why you came in the first place. Everyone is different and there's no 'one comment fit all.' solution. We are in Mandurah if you want to get in touch. x

I know how you feel cartertucker. I think in everyone there is this innate sense of 'there must be something better than this.' Perth is a great place but day to day life is just normal. You are just living in a different place with a different climate. Think about things carefully and consider why you came in the first place. Everyone is different and there's no 'one comment fit all.' solution. We are in Mandurah if you want to get in touch. x

Spot on, after the initial WOW factor be it Cornwall or Barcelona after a while of living anywhere you get so used to the beauty that you do not even notice it.

Spot on, after the initial WOW factor be it Cornwall or Barcelona after a while of living anywhere you get so used to the beauty that you do not even notice it.

Speak for yourself. I find new beauty in this country nearly every week as I make a point of "exploring". I've been here 17 yrs and still haven't touched on half of what lies around Brizzy. Methinks I might start a thread.

I find that's a fairly typical response of people who've come here, not settled, sometimes never really wanted to come in the first place and have not liked it that much. I can honestly say I LOVE IT! I loved it from the moment we landed and 20 years later, love it just as much if not more. Being able to go to a great beach, in nice weather, not having to find parking and a square foot to put a towel down, being able to do it daily if I want. That's one of the things I dreamed of before we moved here and I still enjoy it just as much as when we first got here. If that's being simplistic then so be it. Maybe I'm just easily pleased.

I see someone posted

For me a beach bar in Gozo/Malta selling tuna steaks, beef steaks in good crusty bread with beer, wine and rum as the only alcohlic drinks available with chilled out music in the evenings......

What happened to all those quotes about "same old sh**** different country" for Gozo and Malta eh. Admittedly they are great for a holiday and the picture you get from the post sounds like you would be in holiday mode. It would be totally different if you had to live, buy a house, make a living in either of those two places. I think most places in Aus are streets in front of those two and you could also include the Greek Islands, Spain, Portugal anywhere. You don't even have the language problem to consider when you move here.

Anyway Ghost, sorry you didn't settle, hope you settle back in the UK alright and find a place there that you love.

Maybe it's just the people that I hang around with but quite often I hear one of the group say "how lucky are we". Admittedly it's usually when we are out surf ski paddling, om a glorious morning before work, or maybe a weekend when the weather is just superb sat at the coffee shop. That's from people born and bred here too, not just the rest of us pommies who have settled and love it.

I sometimes worry that my kids don't really know how lucky they are, one was 2 when we came and the other born here so have grown up here. My eldest put me at ease a bit last year when he returned from "raft up" at rottnest with his mates on Boxing day. They had had a few to drink so were a bit more expressive than usual. They were talking about what a great day they had had on the boats and just said don't worry.. we know how lucky we are". He's travelled a bit so seen a few other places, including a couple of trips to the UK on his own. Just seeing his cousins of the same age brought it home to him I think.

:cool:

there must be something better than this.'

That's exactly what we were feeling before we emigrated, for a few years.

I sometimes worry that my kids don't really know how lucky they are, one was 2 when we came and the other born here so have grown up here. My eldest put me at ease a bit last year when he returned from "raft up" at rottnest with his mates on Boxing day. They had had a few to drink so were a bit more expressive than usual. They were talking about what a great day they had had on the boats and just said don't worry.. we know how lucky we are". He's travelled a bit so seen a few other places, including a couple of trips to the UK on his own. Just seeing his cousins of the same age brought it home to him I think.

My daughter (now 17) has said that she feels lucky to have had her teenage years here ... that's all the endorsement we need.

My daughter (now 17) has said that she feels lucky to have had her teenage years here ... that's all the endorsement we need.

Yep! My kids couldn't wait to get back here when I took 'em back to show them their "roots" a couple of years back.

In some ways, I was disappointed. We hired a campervan and spent 30 days going up the west coast, along the top and down the east coast of the UK, finishing with 5 days in London.. I was in my element seeing most of Cornwall/dartmoor, the lakes and the highlands and islands..................most of the pics on my website were taken then. The only thing that they said they missed on return, was the pork pies. My major disappointment was seeing a huge supermarket in keswick.............I suppose the consolation being that it was Booths and not tescos or asda.

No rose-tinted glasses for any of us. The towns we saw were 'grubby and tacky' as were most of the people, including (sadly) the youth of many once picturesque and welcoming places such as Plockton and Portree. You can't even park overnight in Plockton now, which is a shame as a longer stay would have added a few more bob to the local economy. I reckon hamish Macbeth, and especially TV John, would turn in their graves if they saw how it is now..............not the least bit welcoming with prohibition signs everywhere.

Maybe it's just the people that I hang around with but quite often I hear one of the group say "how lucky are we". Admittedly it's usually when we are out surf ski paddling, om a glorious morning before work, or maybe a weekend when the weather is just superb sat at the coffee shop. That's from people born and bred here too, not just the rest of us pommies who have settled and love it.

My OH's family came here when he was 8. He often says it is the best thing his parents ever did and that it is something he will always be grateful to them for.

I honestly do not believe how many people in the UK realise what a great country the UK is, for some it takes a time living abroad to suddenly realise what a good country this is to live in, you only have to live abroad and see how much you have to pay for health care, dental care and even child car to realise it ain't that bad here, with Europe on our doorstep and our stunning coastline and history and the people it is a country to be proud off, oz is the same and having the choice of living in either country is a privalige many take for granted, I have nearly always been blissfully happly living in Stratford as have everyone I know.

I honestly do not believe how many people in the UK realise what a great country the UK is, for some it takes a time living abroad to suddenly realise what a good country this is to live in, you only have to live abroad and see how much you have to pay for health care, dental care and even child car to realise it ain't that bad here, with Europe on our doorstep and our stunning coastline and history and the people it is a country to be proud off, oz is the same and having the choice of living in either country is a privalige many take for granted, I have nearly always been blissfully happly living in Stratford as have everyone I know.

There is a lesson in there somewhere. Perhaps, and I'm just taking a stab in the dark here, but just maybe some have seen the UK, Americas and Europe already and agree with you but fancied a change and knew what they where going too.......or just maybe, some havent really bothered with the UK, Americas and Europe thing and wished they had. So many variables and most keep stum and just get on with it. Swings and roundabouts.

Guest Guest16631

.............I believe it's your attitude...............you only get green grass if you look after it and water it..................and water costs.............so you live where you can afford the most of your needs......and wants..........then work at achieving and enjoying your life...........!

.............I believe it's your attitude...............you only get green grass if you look after it and water it..................and water costs.............so you live where you can afford the most of your needs......and wants..........then work at achieving and enjoying your life...........!

Spot on, people are all different for everyone who dislikes the uk there will be one who dislikes Australia , what a good thing we are all different, I am so lucky I was born and grew up in such a fantastic country, and when I walk along the river Avon I think to myself, do I realise how lucky I am.

Archived