Racism/xenophobia

Maruska

Your husband and kids will be fine (i am in a mixed marriage I am of asain origin and husband is anglo australian) so far have not had any negagtivity towards us for our colour. Also as your husband is of lebanese origin and australia has a lot of people who are of lebanese origin. Also I think it depends on a person if you walk with a chip on your shoulder everything will seem racist even if the treatment due to the attitiude that is being displayed.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Doctor is Indian, he came to Australia (Perth) via the UK where he'd lived for about 20 years. He loves it here, and is very fond of telling me that we made the right move coming here. He has certainly never mentioned any problems. Good luck to you in your move Im sure all will be fine.:wubclub:

There was a some racism with some young thugs during Australia day on the last few occasions but this can happen anywhere and I think it was against all immagrants, oz is full of different races and none dominates to be honest, you will be fine.

Wow I just woke up and see the thread still going strong:biggrin:. Thank you all for your comments. I am aware that the workplace politics are everywhere and so are ignorant people. The point was to get info whether it is SAFE. I also don`t want my kids being bothered at school

I think you mentioned that your children are half Lebanese. You shouldn't have any problems at all on that account. I think Lebanese form the 9th largest national group in Australia and some prominent Australians are of Lebanese heritage - eg. Marie Bashir, the Governor of New South Wales, and Steve Bracks, an ex Premier of Victoria, to name two which come to mind immediately.

The only bad press Lebanese have had concerns gangs of Lebanese youths in western Sydney - but that is a problem with youth gangs of any nationality.

I think you mentioned that your children are half Lebanese. You shouldn't have any problems at all on that account. I think Lebanese form the 9th largest national group in Australia and some prominent Australians are of Lebanese heritage - eg. Marie Bashir, the Governor of New South Wales, and Steve Bracks, an ex Premier of Victoria, to name two which come to mind immediately.

The only bad press Lebanese have had concerns gangs of Lebanese youths in western Sydney - but that is a problem with youth gangs of any nationality.

We are not looking to move "into" lebanese community, indeed we did not do it in the States ( and we could have). Since we are going to Australia, we want to be amongst Australians:biggrin: of whatever descent:wink:.

Thank you all for posting such encouraging info!

I fondly recall spending my last couple of high-school years in a very well respected state school. At this school I was called a 'Skip' like some of my (anglo) mates. (Skip = skippy the bush kangaroo = white aussie). There was no animosity about it, just the usual smart-ar$iness of kids :)

Mind you It got really confusing when they started referring to the entire group (ok we were the nerds/smart kids) as skips...

1 = jewish/middle eastern, 1 = jewish/european, 1 = indian (Sikh I think, but it's been a while), plus the remaining 2 anglo's.

I don't think they quite understood their own categorisation system ...

Ahhh the memories of our Sa'ar and Davinder's confusion about being called skips, hehehehe :)

The majority of problems with the Lebanese community (in particular Sydney) stems from Muslim youth. The Prime minister at the time,Malcolm Fraser was warned but didn't heed the warnings on Lebanese migration after the civil war.

Link to article after release of cabinet documents (30 year)

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-depth/cabinet-papers/fraser-was-warned-on-lebanese-migrants/story-e6frgda6-1111112763458

Your husband and kids will be fine (i am in a mixed marriage I am of asain origin and husband is anglo australian) so far have not had any negagtivity towards us for our colour. Also as your husband is of lebanese origin and australia has a lot of people who are of lebanese origin. Also I think it depends on a person if you walk with a chip on your shoulder everything will seem racist even if the treatment due to the attitiude that is being displayed.

You summed it up quite succinctly

The majority of problems with the Lebanese community (in particular Sydney) stems from Muslim youth. The Prime minister at the time,Malcolm Fraser was warned but didn't heed the warnings on Lebanese migration after the civil war.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-depth/cabinet-papers/fraser-was-warned-on-lebanese-migrants/story-e6frgda6-1111112763458

It mentions the people were unskilled but in that situation, they were not applying as skilled migranys were they? Must have been asylum seekers? My husband was born during the civil war , must have been horrible and I don`t blame people for seeking asylum in another country. All developed countries , not just Australia, provide asylum for the less fortunate.

That said, I know that in the US some people of middle eastern descent ( not just lebanese ) did not really make any effort whatsoever to integrate, they live in their own communities where they only speak their language, some did not even learn English after years here. We do have some lebanese friends but we socialize far more with other nationalities ( due to workplace , mostly Philippinos:biggrin:).

It mentions the people were unskilled but in that situation, they were not applying as skilled migranys were they? Must have been asylum seekers? My husband was born during the civil war , must have been horrible and I don`t blame people for seeking asylum in another country. All developed countries , not just Australia, provide asylum for the less fortunate.

That said, I know that in the US some people of middle eastern descent ( not just lebanese ) did not really make any effort whatsoever to integrate, they live in their own communities where they only speak their language, some did not even learn English after years here. We do have some lebanese friends but we socialize far more with other nationalities ( due to workplace , mostly Philippinos:biggrin:).

Yes they were basically unskilled refugees and found Australia a totally alien culture and many of them never adapted to the Australian way of life and never will. The young men in this article are the progeny of some of the refugees that came here after the civil war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_gang_rapes

Not a nice bunch of people.

Yes they were basically unskilled refugees and found Australia a totally alien culture and many of them never adapted to the Australian way of life and never will. The young men in this article are the progeny of some of the refugees that came here after the civil war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_gang_rapes

Not a nice bunch of people.

wow:no:

I am very impressed that they got such long sentences ( as they should). It`s everywhere though, here it`s the hispanic people and drug traffickers, in Czech it`s the Ukrainian mafia. :mad: Sad that this is what you get when you extend help to someone:mad:

That`s what I am worried about, when people have a bad experience with certain nationality do they tend to be prejudiced against people of the same nationality.....

Although from reports I've read on this issue is that these youth are nominal Muslim at best. More like caught between two worlds and belonging to neither. A classic example of urban alianation not dissimilar to what has happened in France.

wow:no:

I am very impressed that they got such long sentences ( as they should). It`s everywhere though, here it`s the hispanic people and drug traffickers, in Czech it`s the Ukrainian mafia. :mad: Sad that this is what you get when you extend help to someone:mad:

That`s what I am worried about, when people have a bad experience with certain nationality do they tend to be prejudiced against people of the same nationality.....

The help was extended to the parents. This I would suggest has very little to do with youth born and bred in the country and for all intents and purposes alienated from the cultural identity that sustained their parents. In most cases the parents accepted their lot and worked in low paying factory jobs and had little expectation.

The kids don't seem in many cases to have been equipped with methods to suceed but wonder how many of their Anglo Australian contempories did much better?

Although from reports I've read on this issue is that these youth are nominal Muslim at best. More like caught between two worlds and belonging to neither. A classic example of urban alianation not dissimilar to what has happened in France.

If Fraser had listed to advice at the time, we may not have had some of the problems we have in western Sydney at the present time. As an Aussie of 64 years old I wish we hadn't have let these people in at that time.......if that makes me a racist well so be it.......I don't really give a flying f###

Guest Guest69235
If Fraser had listed to advice at the time, we may not have had some of the problems we have in western Sydney at the present time. As an Aussie of 64 years old I wish we hadn't have let these people in at that time.......if that makes me a racist well so be it.......I don't really give a flying f###

I for one completely understand where you're coming from Sir Les Patterson. Something similar happened here in Pakistan. Before the 1980s 'kilashenekov culture' was unheard of in Pakistan. Then along came the Russian war in Afghanistan and millions of Afghan refugees in Pakistan. With them came easy access to AK-47 assault rifles and drugs... our society hasn't been the same ever since. People around here display the same range of reactions as this thread. Some are furious, some understanding, some unconcerned.

I think you've done the right thing coming forth with the way things stand... the information should have put everything in context for the OP and I am sure the OP is mature enough to understand that Australians would give a range of reactions to this - from outright furor to benign understanding. The OP should understand that each reaction is completely valid and understandable. But the thing is, wherever you go in the world, you will find some kind of history that puts you in a wrong light. The best you can do - as I have said already - is to make a concerted effort to integrate and make friends. For Australia, I can give you a guarantee that with most people its your behavior - and your behavior alone - that will define the kind of treatment you get. There are many Pakistanis who are living in Sydney with their families... they are all types, some living in 'Muslim majority areas', some living elsewhere, and all are happy and satisfied. In the end though, you will have to find out for yourself whether Australia is for you or not... do give it a chance.

I agree mate, and I am a racist as I wish more people ad listened to Enoch Powell.

Guest AKA63029
I agree mate, and I am a racist as I wish more people ad listened to Enoch Powell.

Have you ever actually read the WHOLE speech he gave PP, or just picked the phrases you want to?

He was WRONG, wrong and wrong again on many aspects of his 'speech'.

Have you ever actually read the WHOLE speech he gave PP, or just picked the phrases you want to?

Read it plenty of times and I belive for the time he made it he had the best interests of the at. Hand, remember it was a different era then and was a mild speech in those days.

Maybe he would have been wrong if he made the speech now but when he made it he genuinely felt that too much migration was not going to be good for Britain and we have to ask ourselves has it been?

A lot of people support the speech privately, but as I have said before, everyone wants to appear to be pc but in the quiet of their homes are they?

Maybe he would have been wrong if he made the speech now but when he made it he genuinely felt that too much migration was not going to be good for Britain and we have to ask ourselves has it been?

A lot of people support the speech but as I have said before, everyone wants to appear to be pc but in the quiet of their homes are they?

The speech at the time was mild, read it today and it looks bad as we ave all moved on, basically mass immigration has £&£&d up the UK and I wish we ad been as tough on immigration as Australia is.

From reading just a few posts on this thread, I wonder why the BNP don't get a higher percentage of votes, or does PIO attract a select 'sample' of political 'ideology'?

BNP is evil, saying what you honestly think without being scared is not, say what you honestly believe and you ar called a racist, I believe mass immigration has harmed this country.....I am classed as a racist.

In your opinion

As I have said all along if you ave been reading...it is my opinion, do you think mass immigration instead of controlled immigration like in oz has helped or hindered the UK, say what you honestly believe .

Archived