Racism/xenophobia

Maruska

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My impression is that Australia is welcoming of young migrants - especially temporary ones who want to work hard in order to party hard for a couple of years. Australia is less welcoming of older migrants, especially ones who show even the slightest hint of ambition. It's a real case of knowing your place.

i work with boat people , refugees and listen to there stories .......they sound scary and so pleased ive never been in that pradicament ......but after all the trouble they have been through i cant believe they end up living with a chip on there shoulder.........they seem to detest the Asssies way , they have there own rules and are stubbard ........and i know for sure the money they are getting is going straight back to Africa to buy land , they are milking our counrty to feed theres ........i have more stories if your interseted ...like one refugees "hair washer phonned him last night , said he was sick! can u send me some money over to Africa .......yes he said , they all jumping on the band wagon , his mum living the life of Riley in Afrca now sinse he came here ......and in 15 yrs he is going back as he is ploughing his money into buying land in Africa .......

How were you accepted in Australia as a foreigner? Did you notice any racial problems going on? Are small towns with less diverse population more likely to be unfriendly or hostile? What about your workplace? Are any of the states known to be more accepting to immigrants than others?

I have to say I was taken by surprise because I have worked with Australians in the Gulf and never had any troubles. I am, however, white.

My husband is lebanese by origin so black hair, olive complexion ( very handsome IMO:wink:) . Our kids are a mix:biggrin:.

Please somebody set my mind

In my experience most refugees/asylum seekers are more concerned with sponsering family members to join them in Australia. Most want to create new lives for themselves and have obligations to send money to support family still in camps or in poor conditions. They are under extreme duress in many cases to do so and a lot of cultural considerations come into play here.

I also know some who say life is easier in Africa and no doubt do send money with the prospect of returning at some stage. To say they seem to detest the Aussie way and are milking this country is somewhat extreme though.

All sorts of people are sending money out of the country especially in recent times of a strong dollar. You quote one example with regards to a person going back in 15 years to Africa. How many Brits will quit when conditions decline here?

Most refugees see a brighter future for their children and sacrifice a lot to make this happen. I find it an interesting area but not without difficulties where an insight into different cultural understanding/sensitivity really necessary.

Guest Guest66881

You do raise a very good point, as to how many 'poms' end up back in blighty.

I bet the figure is treble that of most other nationalities who end up thinking the same thing, for what ever the reasoning.

I don't see racism here, all i see is banter and some envy maybe by some people, but that's a world over problem not just Australia's - hell i came from the UK and the place was rioting not long after we got here (again) all economical hidden as racial.

You do raise a very good point, as to how many 'poms' end up back in blighty.

I bet the figure is treble that of most other nationalities who end up thinking the same thing, for what ever the reasoning.

I don't see racism here, all i see is banter and some envy maybe by some people, but that's a world over problem not just Australia's - hell i came from the UK and the place was rioting not long after we got here (again) all economical hidden as racial.

Brits may even top the list sending money out due to sheer numbers as well as around a quarter of all immigrants returning.(hence their wealth would be repatriated)

Racism is not anywhere near as overt as in years gone past thankfully, still evident in some country areas, but feel far more evident in a number of UK locations outside of London.

I would go so far as to say I have seen more prejudice on PIO (largely directed at Aussies) than I have seen in a lifetime of living in Australia.

I think that's entirely to do with your PoV though......as an Aussie you're sensitised to comments directed at Aussies. And as (presumably) a white person, you probably don't notice some of the comments that get directed to non-white people

I don't find Australia particularly racist, no real difference to the UK - it exists, it always will, it doesn't seem oppressive. But then I'm also white so probably wouldn't notice

I think that's entirely to do with your PoV though......as an Aussie you're sensitised to comments directed at Aussies. And as (presumably) a white person, you probably don't notice some of the comments that get directed to non-white people

I don't find Australia particularly racist, no real difference to the UK - it exists, it always will, it doesn't seem oppressive. But then I'm also white so probably wouldn't notice

Entirely possible

I have ginger hair, bucked teeth, big lips, a bald patch, wear inch thick glasses, walk with a limp, have zits, speak with a slight lisp, my nose is red, my ears stick out and my name is Cyril. .

And the DIAC still processed your application? :ssign16:

I dont think its racism but there are alot of short slang terms used for minority groups here. Its just the aussie way.

I think the most racism Ive seen is towards the Aboriginal people. And im afraid its country wide.

I believe the attacks are seen as racism because the perpetrators do not speak nicely to the victim and obviously as they are not your average joe blow they use racist words if the person is of different ethnicitiy and they say just as bad stuff to a white aussie only different stuff, attackers are not nice people. To blame or paint a whole community is a very bad thing and as has been said some should get their own house in order before slating Australia.

I dont think its racism but there are alot of short slang terms used for minority groups here. Its just the aussie way.

I think the most racism Ive seen is towards the Aboriginal people. And im afraid its country wide.

Racism is not about saying paki or wog. It's about having negative preconceptions of people based on their race or nationality. That means keeping them away from interesting work; judging them harshly for credit; being more inclined to find fault with them; not bringing people into social conversation; etc. I see it going on all the time at work - often behind people's backs - and often very overtly. I know it also goes on behind my back because I had a 360 degree feedback done and some of the comments were very illuminating.

I know, too, that this happened in the workplace in the UK, so I'm not trying to be anti-Australian here. But it happens all over the place and if you aren't seeing it, it's because you are looking the other way.

Guest Guest69235
Racism is not about saying paki or wog. It's about having negative preconceptions of people based on their race or nationality. That means keeping them away from interesting work; judging them harshly for credit; being more inclined to find fault with them; not bringing people into social conversation; etc. I see it going on all the time at work - often behind people's backs - and often very overtly. I know it also goes on behind my back because I had a 360 degree feedback done and some of the comments were very illuminating.

I know, too, that this happened in the workplace in the UK, so I'm not trying to be anti-Australian here. But it happens all over the place and if you aren't seeing it, it's because you are looking the other way.

Workplace politics is a whole different ball game. Its not just about different races. If you get an overwhelming majority of men vs. women, there will be discrimination. If you get an overwhelming majority of women vs. men, there will be discrimination. If you get an overwhelming majority of IT people vs. the rest of the world, there will be discrimination. If you get a power hungry manager vs. the rest of the world, there will be self-aggrandizement. There are many motives and many ways people get hurt. Some of it may even be racially inclined, but that could happen even if you are in your country - northerner vs. southerner in Britain and provinical/linguistic grudges here in Pakistan. There is no escape really, the best you can do is to integrate and make friends.

There is no escape really, the best you can do is to integrate and make friends.

On a personal level, that is sound advice. But on a societal level, there is a problem and it needs to be corrected. That's why most developed countries have anti-discrimination legislation.

Racism is certainly not expressed so overtly these days in the case of Australia(cities at least) but there are penalties rather harsh in the work place for one thing. I get the feeling although it is not expressed in public, giving certain conditions probably set off by an economic decline, the voices of intolerance now silent could get increasingly loud.

Guest Guest69235
On a personal level, that is sound advice. But on a societal level, there is a problem and it needs to be corrected. That's why most developed countries have anti-discrimination legislation.

Legislation will NEVER solve the tacit, subtle ways in which people engage in racist/discriminatory/prejudiced behavior. Its simply unavoidable, and its unavoidable all over the world.

Legislation will NEVER solve the tacit, subtle ways in which people engage in racist/discriminatory/prejudiced behavior. Its simply unavoidable, and its unavoidable all over the world.

So should we scrap the legislation and get it all out in the open?

And while we're at it, why not get rid of the rape laws since they don't seem to have eradicated rape.

Guest Guest69235
So should we scrap the legislation and get it all out in the open?

And while we're at it, why not get rid of the rape laws since they don't seem to have eradicated rape.

WOW talk about miscommunication. I am saying its no use wallowing in self-pity because the world out there is racist. You just take it in your stride and understand that legislation won't always help you. That doesn't mean there shouldn't be any legislation. And where did rape come into all of this???

There was a spate of incidents a couple of years ago in which Indians were involved and there was enormous publicity in the Indian press about Australia being a racist and anti Indian country.

However it was later found that, in one case, one Indian was murdered by another Indian - it was a personal feud with someone he knew. The incident referred to by Petals was, as she said, someone who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and it wasn't racially motivated. A third high profile case was an Indian who claimed he was attacked and set alight. What eventually came to light was that he had tried to set alight his car to make a fraudulent insurance claim and he made a mess of it and he burned himself. He was later charged.

After the initial headlines in the Indian press I don't think the facts received nearly as much publicity.

The Indian press is pathetic. The worst discrimination I can think of is how the "untouchables" are treated in India. Millions of poor people living in poverty and deprivation who are despised and shunned because of their caste. Why don't they print something about that instead of telling lies to whip up anti Oz hysteria.

Wow I just woke up and see the thread still going strong:biggrin:. Thank you all for your comments. I am aware that the workplace politics are everywhere and so are ignorant people. The point was to get info whether it is SAFE. I also don`t want my kids being bothered at school ( there was a case here where a kid named Osama was bullied by the TEACHER:mad: in addition to the entire class, almost drove him to suicide). From what I have read so far, such is not the case and I am glad. Very interesting though how my indian friends view Australia:eek: thanks to a couple of isolated incidents which may happen anywhere......

Guest AKA63029
Wow I just woke up and see the thread still going strong:biggrin:. Thank you all for your comments. I am aware that the workplace politics are everywhere and so are ignorant people. The point was to get info whether it is SAFE. I also don`t want my kids being bothered at school ( there was a case here where a kid named Osama was bullied by the TEACHER:mad: in addition to the entire class, almost drove him to suicide). From what I have read so far, such is not the case and I am glad. Very interesting though how my indian friends view Australia:eek: thanks to a couple of isolated incidents which may happen anywhere......

If it wasn't true my friend you couldn't make it up could you.:mad::no:

If it wasn't true my friend you couldn't make it up could you.:mad::no:

It`s not made up, his mom and 2 classmates (white) spoke on the national news channel. They also filed a lawsuit.

My son`s name is Adam:wink:

Guest AKA63029
It`s not made up, his mom and 2 classmates (white) spoke on the national news channel. They also filed a lawsuit.

My son`s name is Adam:wink:

Sorry matey, didn't word my post to well.:embarrassed:

I meant that is was true, and in a parallel universe you couldn't make it up.

'Once Upon A Time There Was A Teacher Who Took The Pith Out Of A Child Named Osama':mad:

Tell you what Maruska, the teacher needs to be 'Binned' and 'Laden' with dismissal.:embarrassed:

Sorry matey, didn't word my post to well.:embarrassed:

I meant that is was true, and in a parallel universe you couldn't make it up.

'Once Upon A Time There Was A Teacher Who Took The Pith Out Of A Child Named Osama':mad:

Tell you what Maruska, the teacher needs to be 'Binned' and 'Laden' with dismissal.:embarrassed:

I got it lol:biggrin:

I am very aware that I will have to let go of my kids and stop hovering:wink:

, but not yet ( 4 yrs and 19 months) :wink:. Myself I am capable of dealing with the occasional idiot but my kids are a different matter.

Guest AKA63029

Whilst I wasn't bullied as such Maruska (had a whole heap of mates who would fight my corner) I did come across some animosity at school.

Always had a dark complexion and according to some at school looked like a 'Spik', 'Itai' and on many an occasion 'Abo' little did they know I would soon enough be in Australia.:tongue::laugh:

At times it wasn't pleasant, but like I said had some very genuine mates who would stick up for me.

As I'm older yes I can deal with it, as a swift kick in the nuts often sorts a problem.

But like you say, kids are a different matter, all very well to say 'harden up', but no good when the old brain hasn't learn to 'cope' with prats of the highest order.:mad:

Cheers Tony.

Archived