Guest guest36187

I've been waiting nearly 29 months and they're assessing just 6 weeks prior to my date. My house buyer is wanting to exchange contracts, I can't book quarantine for my dog and there is a 6-7week waiting list for the kennels anyway. Despite having done the medical and Police check and my daughter having started the AoS process in Australia (and therein lies another story!), everything is still up in the air. This is the most stressful experience of my whole life!

I feel your pain @Catlady2014

This is way and by far the most frustrating period of my life. We actually sold our house straight after Brexit as we were concerned about the market falling. We are waiting this out in rented accommodation!

Edited by NanaJan

I've been waiting nearly 29 months and they're assessing just 6 weeks prior to my date. My house buyer is wanting to exchange contracts, I can't book quarantine for my dog and there is a 6-7week waiting list for the kennels anyway. Despite having done the medical and Police check and my daughter having started the AoS process in Australia (and therein lies another story!), everything is still up in the air. This is the most stressful experience of my whole life!

Hang on in tnere Catlady - almost there and at least you have got your medical etc done.

Hope it all starts moving quickly for you.

I feel your pain @Catlady2014

This is way and by far the most frustrating period of my life. We actually sold our house straight after Brexit as we were concerned about the market falling. We are waiting this out in rented accommodation!

At least I'm not in rented accommodation - I suppose that's something to be thankful for. This extended waiting time and lack of progress is dreadful, coming on top of the collapsing £ etc.

Guest geordie joe

Nearly there, the last bit of waiting is the most frustrating.

Joe

I also saw the 2-4yrs processing time now quoted on the web but hoping that is for those starting the process now!

You can read up on the new 5yr visa but such a lot of info I gave up!

I know it starts July 17

I cant find any information on it though I did read a consultation document a while ago. Do you know the actual name and subclass?

http://www.sbs.com.au/topics/life/family/article/2016/09/29/12-things-you-need-know-about-australias-new-parent-visa

I read it first on this link and now this one

https://www.border.gov.au/ReportsandPublications/Documents/discussion-papers/discussion-paper-introducing-tem-visa-parents.pdf

THIS PARAGRAPH IS IN THE DISCUSSION PAPER:-

The Discussion Paper also advises that: “In order to apply for the new visa, it will not be necessary for the parent to have also applied for a permanent parent visa. Parents can however, continue to lodge a permanent visa application if they wish.”

confusing! Maybe we can apply for both?

Edited by Kathss56

Nearly there, the last bit of waiting is the most frustrating.

Joe

Yes, you're right - all the time when nothing whatsoever is happening, it just feels that it never will; but then you get a few indications that somebody has actually looked at the application and you start to get your hopes up, only to slide back down into hopelessness. And yet, I know that I will get there eventually. Oh well, time for a large glass of wine and try to relax, I think.

My daughter lodged the AoS application and yesterday received a letter from Centrelink which says 'thank you for requesting information about Assurance of support' and encloses an application form for her to fill in - which obviously she had already filled in and lodged!!!

Edited by Catlady2014

Yes, you're right - all the time when nothing whatsoever is happening, it just feels that it never will; but then you get a few indications that somebody has actually looked at the application and you start to get your hopes up, only to slide back down into hopelessness. And yet, I know that I will get there eventually. Oh well, time for a large glass of wine and try to relax, I think.

I'm with you on the wine this evening.

All we can do is keep our chins up........and try not to fall into alcoholism!!

• Like 1

I also saw the 2-4yrs processing time now quoted on the web but hoping that is for those starting the process now!

You can read up on the new 5yr visa but such a lot of info I gave up!

I know it starts July 17

Not for certain ... until legislation is forthcoming it remains an exercise in educated guesswork!

Best regards.

• Like 1

My daughter lodged the AoS application and yesterday received a letter from Centrelink which says 'thank you for requesting information about Assurance of support' and encloses an application form for her to fill in - which obviously she had already filled in and lodged!!!

Hi Catlady

you are quite right, you wait for ages and nothing happens and then very slowly progress starts to happen and unfortunately it becomes unbearably stressful. Hang on in there it will happen eventually and things have a way of sorting themselves out. I think I turned several shades greyer during the final processing time and certainly resorted to a glass or two of something alcoholic.

Julie

• Like 1

Catlady2014 - I was thinking I would have to be in receipt of my visa before selling the house?

If they ask for AOS and mediclal/police checks etc, does that mean they have already accepted you in principle ?

I wasn't going to put it on the market until all done.

Thanks

Edited by Kathss56

Catlady2014 - I was thinking I would have to be in receipt of my visa before selling the house?

If they ask for AOS and mediclal/police checks etc, does that mean they have already accepted you in principle ?

I wasn't going to put it on the market until all done.

Thanks

i think the medical and Police check are just preliminaries, so that this info is in place for when a Case Officer finally looks at the application. It could still be quite a while before I get to visa grant stage. However, medicals and Police checks are only valid for 12 months, so I don't think they would be asking for these if they didn't expect a Case Officer to be allocated fairly soon, or at least in less than a year! With regard to selling the house, it's all a bit of a gamble really. If you think you could sell easily and quickly, then you could wait for the visa and then go on the market. But everything is so uncertain following the Brexit referendum, and who knows what will happen to the housing market in a few months time, that's why I decided to sell now.

At least we are in the queue let us hope not as many people applied in 2015 and these dates are quoted for new applications. Does anyone know whether the new 5yr (?) Parent Visa due in July comes out of the same annual allocation of places as the 143 or are extra places being made available.

Not sure if this helps and i am by no means an expert but my mum applied in aug 2016 for her 143 and the plan was to come out for 6 months over christmas. She applied for the 600 tourist visa just as shes done many times before and was asked by immi if she wanted to go for the new 5 year parent visa which she has. So the rules are 12 months stay in any 18 months, she had to take out private medical approx $200 pm for basic cover and its valid for 5 year's so she can come and go within the rules until 2021. She cannot apply for another visa - this doesnt affect her existing 143 application though. Cost was same as 12m e600 visa - one off cost. Hope that makes sense - she has to go home for at least 6m after being here for 12m.

Leigh-anne

Not sure if this helps and i am by no means an expert but my mum applied in aug 2016 for her 143 and the plan was to come out for 6 months over christmas. She applied for the 600 tourist visa just as shes done many times before and was asked by immi if she wanted to go for the new 5 year parent visa which she has. So the rules are 12 months stay in any 18 months, she had to take out private medical approx $200 pm for basic cover and its valid for 5 year's so she can come and go within the rules until 2021. She cannot apply for another visa - this doesnt affect her existing 143 application though. Cost was same as 12m e600 visa - one off cost. Hope that makes sense - she has to go home for at least 6m after being here for 12m.

Leigh-anne

Hi Leigh-anne.

The visa you have described is not the proposed new temporary parent visa.

Best regards.

Leigh-anne

Hi Leigh-Anne,

is that $200 per month on the insurance?

Was the visa number 600 -applied for online?

thanks

http://www.sbs.com.au/topics/life/family/article/2016/09/29/12-things-you-need-know-about-australias-new-parent-visa

I read it first on this link and now this one

https://www.border.gov.au/ReportsandPublications/Documents/discussion-papers/discussion-paper-introducing-tem-visa-parents.pdf

THIS PARAGRAPH IS IN THE DISCUSSION PAPER:-

The Discussion Paper also advises that: “In order to apply for the new visa, it will not be necessary for the parent to have also applied for a permanent parent visa. Parents can however, continue to lodge a permanent visa application if they wish.”

confusing! Maybe we can apply for both?

in the new five year parent visa does it state that you can work whilst there?

in the new five year parent visa does it state that you can work whilst there?

There you go....

[h=3]8 – Work rights haven’t been decided yet[/h]While the discussion paper lays down many statements as key elements, it doesn’t take a firm position on work rights.

“A key consideration is what, if any, work rights should be included with this visa. In what situations would temporary parent visa holders need to work?” a questions section asks.