Has anyone had a meltdown

jasepom

We talk about the practical things on here but has anyone had mental health issues from moving country.

It happened to both me and my wife.

When we came to Australia in 2006 she suffered anxiety initially and took medication. Them when we returned to UK in 2011 I had a total breakdown. Suffered terribly cause I'd realised what I'd thrown away in Australia.

Interested if anyone else has suffered from mental health issues either in UK or Australia and what they have done about it,

I think that some people are prone to this just like some people get more colds. In fact they call it the cold of the brain. I think that those of us who are prone to have problems in the area can have it triggered by change at any time, anywhere. May be just that we remember the events that did the biggys for us. I certainly do. I find that they happen if they are going to after the main event of cause has passed and things are settling down and then the body for some reason goes into overdrive and meltdown occurs.

Moving across the water or to the next village can cause problems for some.

None of us Brits are escaping poverty, persecution etc, we are usually just wanting a more comfortable life than the comfortable one we already have so our expectations are higher

I think this is the nub of the problem. Once upon a time, no one would've dreamed of travelling to the other side of the globe for such a small improvement in lifestyle. It's so expensive, traumatic and disruptive I struggle to understand why families do it. I think Australia's a great country, but the costs (material and intangible) of moving are too great to incur for such a small gain.

I had a bit of a one when I was younger. Didn't go to see anybody about it though, I refused to. I still get a bit anxious/depressed and things can easily get on top of me sometimes but I just try work through it and I'm usually fine after a while. I have two parents on anti-depressants and I don't want to be too.

Could probably happen to any of us....for any reason.

having just suffered my first close family member bereavement I do feel my head is in a bit of a mess.

im not sure if having to come back to Oz so soon after is a good or a bad thing, having to get straight back on the treadmill of life feels like I'm not getting a real chance to grieve....but on the other hand pushing through and getting back in a routine could be better than having the time to wallow too much.

the mind is not to be underestimated for sure....but over thinking and letting your negative thoughts take control isn't good.

I had a bit of a one when I was younger. Didn't go to see anybody about it though, I refused to. I still get a bit anxious/depressed and things can easily get on top of me sometimes but I just try work through it and I'm usually fine after a while. I have two parents on anti-depressants and I don't want to be too.

A very positive reply Stacey, good for you.

taking nothing away from your mum and dad or others that are on anti depressants, because I don't know the reasons behind it, but in the UK there seems to be so many people my age and upwards that were on long term anti depressants. Short term use, I'm sure they are helpful, but after years and years I just felt people were on them out of habit or as some sort of crutch..

A very positive reply Stacey, good for you.

taking nothing away from your mum and dad or others that are on anti depressants, because I don't know the reasons behind it, but in the UK there seems to be so many people my age and upwards that were on long term anti depressants. Short term use, I'm sure they are helpful, but after years and years I just felt people were on them out of habit or as some sort of crutch..

Well my mum had post natal depression and I think it all started from there. She took it out on my dad I think. As far as I know she's on a fairly high dose and she says she'll probably always be on them. I think she's tried to come off them but can't. Most of the time she's absolutely fine but there's been a few times when something happened and she stopped taking them which was horrible. I don't know as much about my dad's situation, think he's more short term. He was quite bad recently and went into total self destruct, split up with his OH because he thought she was better off without him etc.

I'm surprised my hair hasn't went grey with the two of them lol. I agree with you about people maybe using them for too long, I definitely wouldn't like to use them unless absolutely necessary but I know some people really need them especially short term. I just try and work through it naturally but some people can't, I don't think mines is anywhere near as bad as some people. It annoys me though when people say things like "your just in a bad mood, get yourself together" or "what do you have to feel bad about". Doesn't work like that

but over thinking and letting your negative thoughts take control isn't good.

The crux of the matter for me. Throughout my life, for some weird reason, I could have had an excellent day but once in bed, my mind would take me back to childhood abuse, not helped I'm sure, by the issues raised in having to deal with foster kid's parents. I would get into a "thought loop" and sometimes would remain awake for most of the night. Through CBT and eventually finding the right meds (for life).......mirtazapine/avanza I am now a much more "stable" person. I had two lots of ECT in my younger years, which I'm sure has fecked my memory completely (can't even remeber getting married the first time) and which excacerbated the problems I had at the time.

But to answer re Oz. I have been much happier here than i was in the UK..................no constant reminders of what troubled me back then. I am more aware of "where I'm at" and as for fifi's quote: I now fight like feck to be waving, not drowning. The black dog is always at my heels but i have learned not to succumb and try to be more positive. The last 3 months have been amongst the hardest I've ever had to deal with and no doubt, a few years ago, I would have gone under, but (I see it now as), having reached rock bottom in my family situation, the only way is up...............the black dog can be at my heels but all I allow myself to feel is the odd nip, and not the savage bite................he can howl all he wants but I'm a survivor and intend on remaining so............one has to fight as if for your last breath and although I know the fight has gone out of many poor souls, without even attemting to fight, (often it's [unknowingly] easier to wallow in self pity), then one is surely doomed to misery...........I guess there can be an analogy in some cases, to those who struggle to make a life for themselves in Oz................reach out and fight for the happiness that eludes you................easier for some than for others unfortunately.

I agree with you about people maybe using them for too long,

Unfortunately, there is a lot more to some depression than just psychological reasons. Chemical imbalance/neuro transmitters can be the cause, and no amount of therapy can help if that is the case. Correcting the imbalance can only be acheived via medication..............sometimes for life.

Unfortunately, there is a lot more to some depression than just psychological reasons. Chemical imbalance/neuro transmitters can be the cause, and no amount of therapy can help if that is the case. Correcting the imbalance can only be acheived via medication..............sometimes for life.

So true. I once knew a guy who was the sweetest person imaginable while he was on medication, and a violent prat when he wasn't. His problem was a chemical imbalance.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hey Wellers, so you're from Scarborough where my wife is from. She now lives in Harrogate which I don't like much cause of it's snobbery and also awful roads.

Hey Harrogate is lovely :tongue:

Hey Jase, me and the missus (she's from Hull incidentally, i'm from Saddleworth near Oldham) have both had meltdowns in one shape or form since we've been in Oz. My missus is on anti-depressants at the moment and I've probably endured the most torrid 9 months of my life, hence why we're heading back to the UK in July (with Harrogate being one of our potential destinations actually!).

Aside from the usual emotions you would expect when upping sticks and moving to the other side of the world, our youngest daughter has been a little sh*t since we arrived in Oz (we have two girls, one aged 5 and one aged 2) and couldn't have made life any more difficult for us. Things got that bad that we sought medical advice on the assumption she was part autistic although it turned out there was nothing wrong with her, she was just going through a phase of being a little sh*t!! People will say that could have happened anywhere, but the fact we're out here in Oz on our own and feeling isolated has compounded the situation and regularly tested us since we arrived.

That said, I've never really settled here to be honest. We're renting a place in Sandringham, Bayside at the moment and the chances are if we stayed in the area then we'd either have to get mortgaged up to the hilt or spend the next few years continuing to rent which I think is like throwing money down the drain. We both miss owning our own home and are fed up paying $2,500 per month for a timber shack, even if it is apparently worth a fortune. The only positive I suppose is that we've managed to save money whilst we've been renting and should be going home with more money than what we came with, which is a bonus really given how many families lose thousands of pounds in the process of migrating and then returning home shortly after.

So in answer to your original question, you're not alone mate. I'll never regret us moving to Oz and giving it a go as its something me and my wife have talked about for years, but i'll never forget the emotional rollercoaster ride we endured which has definitely had more downs than ups since we've been here. Roll on July!!

I think this is the nub of the problem. Once upon a time, no one would've dreamed of travelling to the other side of the globe for such a small improvement in lifestyle. It's so expensive, traumatic and disruptive I struggle to understand why families do it. I think Australia's a great country, but the costs (material and intangible) of moving are too great to incur for such a small gain.

I agree 100% - we (no kids) did it as my wife is Australian and I wanted to sample the life here and at that time we could afford it financially. It was expensive to move here. We went from mortgage-free to having a largish mortgage and much longer commute to work. But I think I am happier here.

But for other families I would say unless there is something seriously wrong with your life in the UK, stay put and look at improving your lot there.

Exogenous depression for me - didn't take meds but was offered them. Depression lifted almost magically when I returned to UK. Wouldn't have believed it had I not experienced it first hand and I certainly didn't see that it was as bad as it was until I didn't have it any more. Fortunate in that it was something which could be cured by removal from the situation rather than the endogenous kind which can be a really black dog growling at your heels. Either form sucks though and it takes all your energy to get out of bed every morning and put one step in front of the other. CBT works for some and ACT can be good too

Similar to Quoll - I suffered what I became to understand as situational depression. My nine months was a battle every day and what were on paper small problems became the end of the world. Even the relentless sunshine got to me in the end believe it or not. I think in hindsight part was brought on by the usual trauma in moving over seas but in my mind we had moved one way forever which created immense pressure. I regret this, I wish we had not sold our home aswell. I wish we bad kept our home and went to execute the 2 year 'contract' and reassessed how we felt at periodic intervals. As soon as we decided to cut our loss and come home,,the gloom evaporated and the final few weeks became more enjoyable. Still live and learn.

in the UK there seems to be so many people my age and upwards that were on long term anti depressants. Short term use, I'm sure they are helpful, but after years and years I just felt people were on them out of habit or as some sort of crutch..

My MIL was prescribed anti-depressants (high-strength ones too - Prozac) for 20 years, and a couple years ago she decided enough was enough, she was fed up of having her emotions reliant upon a drug, so what did she do? Went cold-turkey. Literally. The result was instant collapse and hospitalisation. She's now back on them, albeit a lower dose (which took months of adjusting to get her down to it).

I agree whole-heartedly with Fifi69, and think the NHS often treat the symptoms and not the cause...

I-F :-)

Edited by ItchyFeet76

My MIL was prescribed anti-depressants (high-strenght ones too - Prozac) for 20 years, and a couple years ago she decided enough was enough, she was fed up of having her emotions reliant upon a drug, so what did she do? Went cold-turkey. Literally. The result was instant collapse and hospitalisation. She's now back on them, albeit a lower dose (which took months of adjusting to get her down to it).

I agree whole-heartedly with Fifi69, and think the NHS often treat the symptoms and not the cause...

I-F :-)

Antidepressants are over prescribed and often for inappropriate illnesses. They have a place, but are one of only a number of treatments.

Antidepressants are over prescribed and often for inappropriate illnesses. They have a place, but are one of only a number of treatments.

I think sadly particularly in the UK, whilst not taking anything away from the great work which GP's do, it does seem that writing a prescription seems to have become the norm rather than the exception. I remember going to my GP when I was 16 and being prescribed anti-depressants, thankfully I never took them as felt for me there had to be better ways to try and resovle the matter at the time. I do however think in some cases they are necessary but should be controlled / monitored more.

I think sadly particularly in the UK, whilst not taking anything away from the great work which GP's do, it does seem that writing a prescription seems to have become the norm rather than the exception. I remember going to my GP when I was 16 and being prescribed anti-depressants, thankfully I never took them as felt for me there had to be better ways to try and resovle the matter at the time. I do however think in some cases they are necessary but should be controlled / monitored more.

It's not good, but definitely not a just a UK thing.

I took antidepressants for a while and I would be very very wary of them. They change your thinking and can numb you in not a good way. They also have side affects such as insomnia and have been linked to suicides.

To me the risks outweigh the benefits.

Yep!! Currently seeing a counsellor as am lucky to have a good GP here however one doctor practically threw pills at me & I said no that not what I need. I'm a strong person & have always 'gotten on with it' since 2012 I've moved to oz, fell pregnant with triplets 3 days before I flew, lost twins at 19 weeks but carried them, 28 weeks my 'survivor' was born & spent 6 weeks in special care (albeit in the uk) & I came back here start of 2013 & I was 'happy' but deep down the strongest person can only take so much. Having no family around or comfort blanket has exasperated issues that were buried deep & unfortunately they have risen to the surface. All am saying is its not Australia's fault I feel like this, it's a great country, all I know in my heart is that the UK is where I need to be.