Moving back after 8 years in Perth.

george70

Hi All,

Am sure this question is fairly typical but what do I need to consider in moving back to the UK after being in WA for 8 years? Do I need to inform anyone, either end? Can I just fly back in and start a job next Monday or do loose ends need attending to first, again either end?

Thanks for your help.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes there are a few loose ends.

Firstly, don't close your Aussie bank account or cut up your Australian credit card because there may be a few weeks' delay in getting your British bank account open, and you'll need something to use in the meantime.

If you've got family over there, then ask them if you can use their address. If so, tell your Australian bank/credit card you're moving and give them that address. If you currently get your bank statements and credit card statements online or via email, switch them to paper ones for the next couple of months. That way, by the time you arrive you'll have some statements waiting for you, which are very handy for proving your address to banks, libraries, councils etc etc. IMPORTANT NOTE: don't put "c/o" anybody, just your name and the address. You need to pretend it's your new permanent British address even if it isn't, it will get around a lot of the red tape!

If you don't do that, then you won't be able to open a bank account until you've got a lease agreement or a utility bill in your name, which means you can't open an account until you've found a permanent place to live - and for most people that takes a few weeks.

It would be worth checking with the credit rating agencies to see if you still have a credit rating - if not, you will probably struggle to get any kind of credit at first.

It goes without saying that you need to cancel your accounts with your internet provider, gas, electricity etc etc etc.

Hi All,

Am sure this question is fairly typical but what do I need to consider in moving back to the UK after being in WA for 8 years? Do I need to inform anyone, either end? Can I just fly back in and start a job next Monday or do loose ends need attending to first, again either end?

Thanks for your help.

Depends on what benefits etc you receive. Child benefit you will have to notify. Probably best to notify the ato. When you get to the UK, register with gp dentist etc asap, as soon as you have an address. Bank accounts etc may take a while, so may be best to keep Australian ones open for a while. If anyone keeps paying you or charging you, notify them. When you get a job, all the tax stuff will get sorted. Assume you have a ni number etc. probably want to register to vote. If Australian citizen, tell them you won't be voting, or do postal votes.

Seems everyone is leaving Perth. Party over?

Oh, and get mail redirected to a trusted relative if you can.

Edited by newjez

Thanks guys, all good. No kids, no benefits, just us. My family is in the UK so we'll stay with them, still got my NI card. I do have Aussie citizenship so the voting thing is a good call.

As for going back/leaving the party, few reasons:

• Bit of a feeling that we’ve ‘done’ Perth & WA (we felt this way after about 2 or 3 years here).
  • The job situation is (beyond) grim in Perth, economically WA has a few years of trouble ahead I think.
  • By and large Aussies are gobshites.
  • Family and friends getting older in the UK/missing out on stuff.

We didn’t move to Australia for a ‘better life’, we were happy in the UK. Moved here to be near wife’s family, kind of done that as well now.

Perth is a lovely place, very good to bring up little kids. Bit boring for teens and young adults I reckon. It’s not very contemporary and it’s very easy to become middle-aged and boring very quickly. It’s also very materialistic here or at least it seems to turn people that way. And we hate all that.

Just fancy the change back, might regret it, might not.

Thanks guys, all good. No kids, no benefits, just us. My family is in the UK so we'll stay with them, still got my NI card. I do have Aussie citizenship so the voting thing is a good call.

• Bit of a feeling that we’ve ‘done’ Perth & WA (we felt this way after about 2 or 3 years here).

• The job situation is (beyond) grim in Perth, economically WA has a few years of trouble ahead I think.

We didn’t move to Australia for a ‘better life’, we were happy in the UK. Moved here to be near wife’s family, kind of done that as well now.

Perth is a lovely place, very good to bring up little kids. Bit boring for teens and young adults I reckon. It’s not very contemporary and it’s very easy to become middle-aged and boring very quickly. It’s also very materialistic here or at least it seems to turn people that way. And we hate all that.

I laughed there.

B

We've just done it - but things we did slip up on

Change address + Telephone No on any bank accounts you keep open (I didn't & need text reference to complete but no longer have Aussie phone).

Close all utility accounts etc & give forwarding address

Get a Statement of No Claims for Car insurance in the UK ( some companies will not take but AVIVA did).

Cannot claim jobseekers as need NI contributions for last 2 years.

Overall - its as bad a moving that way but good luck. our gear took 104 days to arrive which was a long time to live out of a suitcase!

exactly as I found perth...dullsville

Just yesterday dinned with a woman here just short of ten years and about to weigh anchor and depart Perth. She certainly agrees with the Dullsville tag, but besides her, the mother in law is departing and daughter following a bit later. A total of three families waving adieu to Perth.

Probably just the tip of the ice burg as disillusionment becomes ever wide spread among those that saw the better times here, as well as those that maintained their jobs, the increasing difficult criteria required to keep such positions, in times of severe restructuring and declining conditions.

Perhaps PB was a trend setter in seeing the light years before it dawned on ever greater numbers? Not too many people calling Perth a party town in recent times.

I'm sure Perth found you the life and soul of the party!!!!

It's your personality that's the problem, not Perth.

For someone that, I don't believe lives in Perth, rather amazing you have the pulse and personality of Perth down to a key, that enables you to pass personal judgement on others take and comments with regards to Perth.

Sleeping being a prime form of amusement in Perth.

According comments from some people on this forum it is.

I think though after hearing about how boring Perth is for the millionth time from PB it does start to get ......... dare I say it ............................ boring.

I only lived there for something like 4 years I think but I didn't find it boring at all. Mind you I never went looking for much nightlife - too busy with babies and building a house back then. If he thought Perth was boring I wonder what he'd think of Devonport. :laugh: Funnily enough I'm never bored here either.

I think though after hearing about how boring Perth is for the millionth time from PB it does start to get ......... dare I say it ............................ boring.

I only lived there for something like 4 years I think but I didn't find it boring at all. Mind you I never went looking for much nightlife - too busy with babies and building a house back then. If he thought Perth was boring I wonder what he'd think of Devonport. :laugh: Funnily enough I'm never bored here either.

I imagine Perth has more nightlife than Stratford upon Avon. I don't think it's that that pb was complaining about. When you live in Perth, it's not long before you have done everything, and then you do it again. Perhaps isolated is a better term than boring. In the UK, if you get bored you just travel out a bit further. You have to travel a long way in Perth to get anywhere.

That being the beauty of life, we are all different. Wether Perth is boring or not, that remains in the eye of the beholder. There is no right or wrong answer as none seek necessary the same.

I'm reasonable sure he's most likely find Devonport not his individual liking. But then many Aussies certainly wouldn't pick it as a choice also. Just as they wouldn't pick Perth for that matter either.

I imagine Perth has more nightlife than Stratford upon Avon. I don't think it's that that pb was complaining about. When you live in Perth, it's not long before you have done everything, and then you do it again. Perhaps isolated is a better term than boring. In the UK, if you get bored you just travel out a bit further. You have to travel a long way in Perth to get anywhere.

Very much the case. Like the Great South of the state, as an example, but having lived there, and visited what feels 160 times, it does wear off a little in time. Especially those summer time prices that much or exceed European prices.

That being the beauty of life, we are all different. Wether Perth is boring or not, that remains in the eye of the beholder. There is no right or wrong answer as none seek necessary the same.

I'm reasonable sure he's most likely find Devonport not his individual liking. But then many Aussies certainly wouldn't pick it as a choice also. Just as they wouldn't pick Perth for that matter either.

Indeed and thank goodness - we are all different.

I could never live in a city again. It is indeed strange how folk from the UK migrate to Perth in such large numbers. Even 30 years ago I was really surprised at how many different British accents there were around the place. Never found that in Sydney.

Do you think you will ever up sticks and move away from Perth?

Indeed and thank goodness - we are all different.

I could never live in a city again. It is indeed strange how folk from the UK migrate to Perth in such large numbers. Even 30 years ago I was really surprised at how many different British accents there were around the place. Never found that in Sydney.

Do you think you will ever up sticks and move away from Perth?

Yes I do to the last question. Away quite a bit anyway, especially pre five years ago. Will be away first quarter of next year.

British accents have always dominated Perth.(as with foreign born population) Not convinced it was a good thing as maintained our ' remote form of conservatism' , (in a sense) Changes are increasingly apparent over the past six years with a nice mix being more apparent in Perth. The changes have been rapid. In fact one Iranian family have slight dealings with only recently moved from Sydney to Perth. Find it cheaper to get a place closer to the city, and hated Sydney. They claim a number of like minded folk are eyeing Perth as an alternative to the unaffordability of living in Sydney on ' normal' wages.

Yes I do to the last question. Away quite a bit anyway, especially pre five years ago. Will be away first quarter of next year.

British accents have always dominated Perth.(as with foreign born population) Not convinced it was a good thing as maintained our ' remote form of conservatism' , (in a sense) Changes are increasingly apparent over the past six years with a nice mix being more apparent in Perth. The changes have been rapid. In fact one Iranian family have slight dealings with only recently moved from Sydney to Perth. Find it cheaper to get a place closer to the city, and hated Sydney. They claim a number of like minded folk are eyeing Perth as an alternative to the unaffordability of living in Sydney on ' normal' wages.

Anywhere is cheaper than Sydney. As long as they manage to find work in Perth - good on them. Hope they don't get bored easily though. :cool:

I suspect the ' boredom' would not be a ' priority' issue considering the trauma of location and living difficulty experienced in Sydney suburbs.

It was tongue in cheek re the boredom Flag.

I think these days more people are gong to have to be prepared to move to where the work is. We moved from one side of the country to the other twice so I do know it can be fairly traumatic.

Pretty much agree with all of the above!

It was tongue in cheek re the boredom Flag.

I think these days more people are gong to have to be prepared to move to where the work is. We moved from one side of the country to the other twice so I do know it can be fairly traumatic.

Well the mundane claim to living in Perth has been responsible to driven a few away from Perth. Especially young. These days survival perhaps are more on the minds of potential dissenters than simply being bored.