Hospital appointments.

bristolman

Hopefully this won't be moved as it is relevant. I read lots of comments about how long it takes to get an appointment to see a GP or a hospital appointment, I have even seen someone tell others it can take up to 3 weeks to get to see a GP. I went to the walk in clinic at our medical centre on Tuesday morning and was seen 25 minutes later to see someone about some sun damage. Thursday morning I received a letter giving me an appointment in 10 days time at the hospital to be seen by a dermatologist.

Obviously it depends on your location but but for those making the move please don't think it takes weeks and months to be seen, it doesnt.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many factors to consider when deciding on a move back to the UK, I don't think the issue of medical care should even be on the list. If you have a chronic illness, you'll get adequate care in both countries. If you're seriously ill, you'll get adequate care in both countries. If you want more than that, there's always the option of private health insurance in both countries.

Having said that, access to a doctor certainly does depend on your location. I have yet to see a doctor in Southampton after a year! I am asthmatic and need monthly prescriptions. I registered with a doctor (the only one taking on new patients in my area) and asked to make an appointment to set up my prescriptions. Instead, I got a brief phone call with a doctor who, sight unseen, wrote the prescriptions I asked for.

About six months ago I had an attack of cystitis. I was in pain and needed an urgent appointment. Again, I was given a phone "appointment" instead of a face-to-face consultation, was given a prescription and that was that.

A few weeks ago, I felt the dosage of my asthma medication wasn't quite right and rang up to get an appointment. On explaining my issue, I was referred to a nurse instead - she asked me a few questions and agreed that it should be changed. Two days later the new prescription was ready to pick up.

Bottom line - it is working, but it does seem a little weird that this doctor's practice is merrily prescribing things to me even though none of their doctors has never met me or taken any kind of medical history. That wouldn't happen in Oz.

Well that is a relief...you hear lots of different takes on GP appointments and hospital appointments. I guess it depends on where you live etc and if you want to see a specific GP. I used to work in a surgery in the U.K. before emigrating and most patients could get an appointment to see a doctor but it might not have been their 'own' GP unless they could wait a day or more to see them. Anything urgent was certainly dealt with promptly.

I would never want to criticise the nhs. For a service that is free for the entire uk it's something to be proud of.

That said...when I needed surgery I was very glad I had private cover. The waiting time otherwise was going to be months and it allowed me access to one of the country's top surgeons

Well that is a relief...you hear lots of different takes on GP appointments and hospital appointments. I guess it depends on where you live etc and if you want to see a specific GP. I used to work in a surgery in the U.K. before emigrating and most patients could get an appointment to see a doctor but it might not have been their 'own' GP unless they could wait a day or more to see them. Anything urgent was certainly dealt with promptly.

Yes of course if you want to see your wn doctor you may have to wait but of course that would be the same anywhere in the world especially if a doctor is popular. In Australia I would have to wait 2 or 3 days to see my chosen doctor plus usually an hour and a half in the waiting room lol

There are so many factors to consider when deciding on a move back to the UK, I don't think the issue of medical care should even be on the list. If you have a chronic illness, you'll get adequate care in both countries. If you're seriously ill, you'll get adequate care in both countries. If you want more than that, there's always the option of private health insurance in both countries.

Having said that, access to a doctor certainly does depend on your location. I have yet to see a doctor in Southampton after a year! I am asthmatic and need monthly prescriptions. I registered with a doctor (the only one taking on new patients in my area) and asked to make an appointment to set up my prescriptions. Instead, I got a brief phone call with a doctor who, sight unseen, wrote the prescriptions I asked for.

About six months ago I had an attack of cystitis. I was in pain and needed an urgent appointment. Again, I was given a phone "appointment" instead of a face-to-face consultation, was given a prescription and that was that.

A few weeks ago, I felt the dosage of my asthma medication wasn't quite right and rang up to get an appointment. On explaining my issue, I was referred to a nurse instead - she asked me a few questions and agreed that it should be changed. Two days later the new prescription was ready to pick up.

Bottom line - it is working, but it does seem a little weird that this doctor's practice is merrily prescribing things to me even though none of their doctors has never met me or taken any kind of medical history. That wouldn't happen in Oz.

That wouldn't happen where we are either.

I didn't actually say the issue of medical care should be a consideration, we have some of the best medical care in the world. It's to reassure people that here some often misleading stories.

Yes of course if you want to see your wn doctor you may have to wait but of course that would be the same anywhere in the world especially if a doctor is popular. In Australia I would have to wait 2 or 3 days to see my chosen doctor plus usually an hour and a half in the waiting room lol

I don't need to go to a doctor regularly but my OH does. He much prefers to see his chosen doctor and usually sees him a couple of days after making an appointment. If it's urgent - and it rarely is, then he'll go to another doc in the same surgery. His doc is a very caring sort and can spend at least 20 minutes with each patient so OH phones about half an hour before his appointment to find out how late the doc is running so it saves sitting in the waiting room for a while.

That is a great result! To be honest I do hear lovely success stories about the NHS, my friend has recently been diagnosed with polycystic kidney disease, she had relatively minor symptoms and her kidneys are still functioning extremely well, she was lucky to see a clued up GP who got her into the system literally immediately, she has the diagnosis and is being well looked after. Its 100% hereditary and both of her parents were oblivious and have lead fantastically healthy lives well into their 70's so long term prognosis is excellent, she is just stressed about whether to tell her children as they could be affected. But much respect to the NHS for quick and prompt action, I think when you put the politics aside and recognise the true professionals who ultimately make the NHS a world class service, then its easy to see what a great institution it is. Saying that I love the Aussie system and the fact you can have a more direct involvement in your choices and options (albeit with a private insurance), I do remember paying NI in the UK, I pay that here in terms of my private policy, I think there are arguments for both systems, I like the choices I have and the access to immediate help and treatment, particularly when ill health in Australia can adversely affect your employment and financial status, very quickly, but I like the fact it also supports those who don't have access to private insurance and provides equal access and treatment, immediately in an emergency, perhaps a wait if not an emergency.

I don't need to go to a doctor regularly but my OH does. He much prefers to see his chosen doctor and usually sees him a couple of days after making an appointment. If it's urgent - and it rarely is, then he'll go to another doc in the same surgery. His doc is a very caring sort and can spend at least 20 minutes with each patient so OH phones about half an hour before his appointment to find out how late the doc is running so it saves sitting in the waiting room for a while.

Oh yes I was wise to that, I would phone up and ask and the receptionist would invariably tell us that she was only 5 or 10 minutes behind schedule, how she didn't poke someones eye out with that nose I don't know lol

Oh yes I was wise to that, I would phone up and ask and the receptionist would invariably tell us that she was only 5 or 10 minutes behind schedule, how she didn't poke someones eye out with that nose I don't know lol

The receptionist is pretty spot on here and we are only a 10 minute drive from the docs so OH is usually lucky to have a very short wait.

The receptionist is pretty spot on here and we are only a 10 minute drive from the docs so OH is usually lucky to have a very short wait.

I 2nd that, we have a great local surgery and I've had to have 2 appointments in the last week. Both times the receptionist suggested to ring, it wasn't left to me to be wise to the fact. Both times accurate makes sense to me saves my time and keeps the surgery clearer.

I really think that is completely out of order Marisa, especially as you have registered.

I had to see a Dr. when I was back in UK last summer, and didn't realise until I was being seen that I was seeing a nurse not a Dr. She diagnosed a virus, gave me an inhaler told me I would be better soon.

6 months later!!!! I was finally clear of the horrendous infection, needed several doses of strong antibiotics and steroids. My Dr. here reckoned it would never have got so bad if I had had antibiotics sooner.

I can't blame the nurse, but I do blame the system.

Have to say, my experience is very positive so far.

I registered with my GP when we arrived, but, I had forgotten to bring my medications with me, but had Australian repeats. The reception asked me to fill in the forms and leave the repeats for the doctor to see. The called and said they were happy to issue one emergency set of meds without seeing them based on my Oz ones, but I needed to make an urgent appointment. Made the appointment and spent a good 30 mins going through my medical history. I mentioned I need regular tests via cameras both ways and am due next next year and when should we arrange. He said they only need to be booked about 3-4 weeks ahead and will arrange closer to the time.

I enquired about seeing the GP and appointments in the future and it is normally a day or two wait or they do a drop in on an evening to be seen same day. That is pretty much identical to my GP in Oz. Though a significant improvement for my wife who in WA used a massive surgery based in central Perth and could never get an appointment and never saw the same doc twice.

I find the Aussie system much more flexible and quicker but then there can be out of pocket costs unlike NHS. My partner recently gave birth privately here and the care was unbelievably good (lots of NHS nurses) not sure many people have babies privately in UK so not really comparable. Never had any real issues seeing a doctor in UK, and it's no out of pocket costs is good but everything after doc a little slower and less flexible.

I 2nd that, we have a great local surgery and I've had to have 2 appointments in the last week. Both times the receptionist suggested to ring, it wasn't left to me to be wise to the fact. Both times accurate makes sense to me saves my time and keeps the surgery clearer.

Yes unfortunately that only works when the receptionist tells you the truth, as I said used to do that but would always be told 5-10 minutes so in the end I didn't bother.

Have to say, my experience is very positive so far.

I registered with my GP when we arrived, but, I had forgotten to bring my medications with me, but had Australian repeats. The reception asked me to fill in the forms and leave the repeats for the doctor to see. The called and said they were happy to issue one emergency set of meds without seeing them based on my Oz ones, but I needed to make an urgent appointment. Made the appointment and spent a good 30 mins going through my medical history. I mentioned I need regular tests via cameras both ways and am due next next year and when should we arrange. He said they only need to be booked about 3-4 weeks ahead and will arrange closer to the time.

I enquired about seeing the GP and appointments in the future and it is normally a day or two wait or they do a drop in on an evening to be seen same day. That is pretty much identical to my GP in Oz. Though a significant improvement for my wife who in WA used a massive surgery based in central Perth and could never get an appointment and never saw the same doc twice.

Yes exactly what we are finding, I want to know where these GP surgeries are where you can wait up to 3 weeks and 2 weeks is normal ? It really couldn't be any quicker than my experience this week, same day appointment, 2 days to receive the hospital appointment in 10 days.

I really think that is completely out of order Marisa, especially as you have registered.

I had to see a Dr. when I was back in UK last summer, and didn't realise until I was being seen that I was seeing a nurse not a Dr. She diagnosed a virus, gave me an inhaler told me I would be better soon.

6 months later!!!! I was finally clear of the horrendous infection, needed several doses of strong antibiotics and steroids. My Dr. here reckoned it would never have got so bad if I had had antibiotics sooner.

Don't blame the system, blame the practise.

Yes exactly what we are finding, I want to know where these GP surgeries are where you can wait up to 3 weeks and 2 weeks is normal ? It really couldn't be any quicker than my experience this week, same day appointment, 2 days to receive the hospital appointment in 10 days.

My my experience with our GPs has been the same as yours, but we live in a fairly small market town with two big primary care practices.

My daughter lives in London and her experience has been very different and she has definitely had times when she's had to wait in excess of two weeks for an appointment. That said, it's always been for routine things - if she'd wanted or needed to be seen earlier, she could have gone to a walk in centre.

To be be fair to the nurse, you probably did have a viral infection when you saw her. These things can develop over time into something else. There is a lot of pressure (rightly so) to not prescribe antibiotics straight away as they're useless for viral infections which generally clear up on their own anyway. It sounds like you were unlucky that yours developed into something bacterial which does happen, but it wouldn't be good practice to give prophylactic antibiotics 'just in case'.

I understand your frustration though - we had our GP out four times to our daughter when she was tiny, only to be told she was fine. It was only when a different Dr came out that she was finally admitted to hospital and then spent a month in ITU. Sometimes they get it wrong.

I'm always quite happy to have a phone consultation - if the gp decides they need to see me they will ask me to make an appointment.

Pick any surgery in Southampton. It's certainly the case at the surgery I'm registered with, and I've spoken to several people at our dance classes (which are in different parts of So'ton) and they all have similar experiences. So you can't try to pretend they don't exist.

I suspect the problem exists in high-density inner-city areas. Out in more sparsely populated regions I can understand why it would be different.

Pick any surgery in Southampton. It's certainly the case at the surgery I'm registered with, and I've spoken to several people at our dance classes (which are in different parts of So'ton) and they all have similar experiences. So you can't try to pretend they don't exist.

I suspect the problem exists in high-density inner-city areas. Out in more sparsely populated regions I can understand why it would be different.

Definitely true. There's a shortage of GPs, so they can pick and choose where they want to go to live and work. They're more likely to choose nicer areas, where there's a good quality of life, good schools etc, just like the rest of us who have that choice.

Someone I know helps care for a 90 yr old lady. The other week she had a heart attack and was blue lighted to hospital. The paramedics had to wait with her on a trolley in a corridor for over 6 hrs. So that ambulance was out of use all that time. The ambulance staff said that happens all the time. Not an ideal was to treat an old lady....or anyone else! Now it's. Not the NHS staff's fault but the system is crippled. Don't take it for granted and assume all is well just because you may not have had a problem yet.

To be be fair to the nurse, you probably did have a viral infection when you saw her. These things can develop over time into something else. There is a lot of pressure (rightly so) to not prescribe antibiotics straight away as they're useless for viral infections which generally clear up on their own anyway. It sounds like you were unlucky that yours developed into something bacterial which does happen, but it wouldn't be good practice to give prophylactic antibiotics 'just in case'.

I understand your frustration though - we had our GP out four times to our daughter when she was tiny, only to be told she was fine. It was only when a different Dr came out that she was finally admitted to hospital and then spent a month in ITU. Sometimes they get it wrong.

I'm always quite happy to have a phone consultation - if the gp decides they need to see me they will ask me to make an appointment.

Perhaps I might have had more confidence if a Dr. had told me it was a virus rather than the practise nurse, that's the point I was making. I had been ill for over 2 weeks before I went with complete laryngitis, short of breath very bad cough, only left it to seek help as we were constantly moving around. Just feel I was fobbed off as not a regular patient.

I live in a rural area, there are only 125 people in my village and those around are similar. So there are no surgeries here and everybody ends up at one in the largest town nearby, so it is maybe just as busy as an inner city one. I have to go in to collect a monthly prescription and it is always busy and I have queued up for twenty minutes just to say my name and have prescription handed over! It is definitely hard to get an appointment with doctor, it is hard to get through on the phone and I have never yet met a receptionist that does not believe it is their duty to prevent one accessing medical care.

Perhaps I might have had more confidence if a Dr. had told me it was a virus rather than the practise nurse, that's the point I was making. I had been ill for over 2 weeks before I went with complete laryngitis, short of breath very bad cough, only left it to seek help as we were constantly moving around. Just feel I was fobbed off as not a regular patient.

Are you serious! Practice Nurses are highly skilled, highly educated staff. Perhaps if you weren't happy at the time you should of spoke up then. They are valuable members of a team, allowing Doctors to see more urgent or complex cases. If at any point I wasn't satisfied or felt my condition had changed I would of insisted in seeing a Doctor. It' s not the system to blame, just unfortunate circumstance, infections can worsen and change over time.