How many of you would return to the UK ???

chrisrich 5

The area around Tunbridge Wells. An Oast House with a log fire next to a proper country pub that does great food. There'd need to be a village green too so Harpo and I could watch the cricket whilst sinking a few pints of 'Old Barley Mo' or 'Hobgoglin after sunday lunch' Perfick! :smile:

Oh, OK then

What part of Gloucs is that mate?. The mountainous, alpine part that I wasn't aware of?!!

Its a posh part of cheltenham with some very fine Georgian (?) sandstone (?) terraces, good pubs restaurants etc.

cheltenham is a beautiful town ......very upmarket ............straight run for us a46 .....alcester .....evesham ...

Went to a stag do there once .......strangest place i have ever had a beer ......cheltenham on the friday night .....gloucester on the saturday night .

Gloucester was the worry ...........rugby town ......beer and sawdust ...........12 brummies on a stag do ........we had a great time though .........jumping jacks in gloucester .....budweiser £1 a bottle ...... no trouble ......great night

The night before was a different kettle of fish ........in posh old cheltenham:biglaugh:......it was like " deliverance " ......" they dont like strangers ":wink:

they probably heard the brummy accents and the "I am considerably richer than yow" and thought "uh oh....":tongue:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tim Toft

Sounds great...except it isn't! Don't know how long you've been in Australia but it's so hard here. True, the British countryside is truly beautiful and if you can isolate yourself from the British media you might be fine. But, it's so depressing here. The weather is often awful, fuel is so expensive, the shops are terribly run-down, food quality is poor (especially salad and fruit) and the health service is shocking. The banking service is terrible, customer service is almost non-existent, the streets are filthy and everyone is so negative about everything. Remember the joy of the Olympics in Australia, the anticipation and excitement? It's hard to find anyone who has anything positive to say about the Olympics here and you get the feeling that the British public are scared of each other, don't trust each other and are fearful of terrorist attacks which the media constantly refers to either directly or indirectly. There's so little pride in this nation and the government has a huge task in trying to turn around this negative thinking which pervades almost every aspect of the British psyche. Come to the UK for holidays and enjoy the countryside but go back to Australia secure in the knowledge that your life will always be a lot more tranquil there. I though coming back here would be a dream come true and while it's not a nightmare and there are things to enjoy here, Australia is infinitely more uplifting and full of positive spirit and energy.

Sounds great...except it isn't! Don't know how long you've been in Australia but it's so hard here. True, the British countryside is truly beautiful and if you can isolate yourself from the British media you might be fine. But, it's so depressing here. The weather is often awful, fuel is so expensive, the shops are terribly run-down, food quality is poor (especially salad and fruit) and the health service is shocking. The banking service is terrible, customer service is almost non-existent, the streets are filthy and everyone is so negative about everything. Remember the joy of the Olympics in Australia, the anticipation and excitement? It's hard to find anyone who has anything positive to say about the Olympics here and you get the feeling that the British public are scared of each other, don't trust each other and are fearful of terrorist attacks which the media constantly refers to either directly or indirectly. There's so little pride in this nation and the government has a huge task in trying to turn around this negative thinking which pervades almost every aspect of the British psyche. Come to the UK for holidays and enjoy the countryside but go back to Australia secure in the knowledge that your life will always be a lot more tranquil there. I though coming back here would be a dream come true and while it's not a nightmare and there are things to enjoy here, Australia is infinitely more uplifting and full of positive spirit and energy.

jeez I've lost the will to live half way through your post. I did not the point about the Olympics though. It was much the same here, pre Sydney2000, there was all sorts of angst about ticketing and whether stuff would be ready in time.

Hi Tim,

my wife has just said lucky she does not like salad ,one thing less to worry about .

Just returned from spending 16 months there ,went though one of the worst winters in so many years ,i disagree with you as regards what you said about the british public and i found nothing to complain about with the service we received from the National Health.

what works for one may not work for another ,I am sorry for the way you feel and hope thing get better for you .

Personally thats how I have found Australia, fuel is now getting expensive in this part of Australia at $1.70 a litre, the weather is constantly hot and sunny which sounds nice but working out doors it's not and flies! The shops are run down here and many empty, the banking system is just as bad but aren't all banks?

Customer service is non-existent with staff rude an arrogant, the streets maybe cleaner but the roads have cans and bottles thrown out of vehicles on the side of the road. Watching the news the Aussies have same problems, drugs, crime etc and complain of rising prices. May be I'm in the wrong part of Oz as I would say Come to Australia for a holiday!

Guest Ptp113
Personally thats how I have found Australia, fuel is now getting expensive in this part of Australia at $1.70 a litre, the weather is constantly hot and sunny which sounds nice but working out doors it's not and flies! The shops are run down here and many empty, the banking system is just as bad but aren't all banks?

Customer service is non-existent with staff rude an arrogant, the streets maybe cleaner but the roads have cans and bottles thrown out of vehicles on the side of the road. Watching the news the Aussies have same problems, drugs, crime etc and complain of rising prices. May be I'm in the wrong part of Oz as I would say Come to Australia for a holiday!

Ever thought of moving like normal people do? I tried 4 states before I found the right place, it isn't hard

Ever thought of moving like normal people do? I tried 4 states before I found the right place, it isn't hard

4 times wow how much did that cost ? with a family of 4 could never afford that. Where are you now? Glad you settled though.

Guest guest57588

Maybe if you're on your own, but if you've got kids?. Jobs, school places, shipping your belongings interstate, constant upheaval?. Sounds pretty hard to me.

Guest guest17301

I think it is hard with kids, moving once is hard enough, I cant imagine upping sticks and doing it all again. In fact cant believe I ever did it once!! Depends exactly HOW unhappy you are though. Might be a have to rather than want to scenario. If I moved back to UK I would happily return to my old workplace though....

Your coment makes me sound stupid, Err yes of course I thought about moving, but I'm tied to visa and work conditions and location for 4 years, I would love to try somewhere like Melbourne but circumstances and costs dictate that it is not possible to move. As stated I'm in the wrong part of Oz!

It would take more than that for me to do it. Just don't feel safe there, don't want my kids there and have lived in the south but more so in the north its the same everywhere - I just do not want to be there anymore. I know there are rough places here, I know that there are problems here, but not to the extent the UK has sadly become :(

Just a small question - do you (or anyone else) fear that Oz may become that way sometime down the road? For those of you who are present in Oz, what are your assessments? How is Oz different from the UK (or any other country with the same features) - I guess what I'm asking is.... what made the UK the way it is today (whether perceived or not), and why do you not think Oz may go down that route?

I wouldn't. If I won the lottery I would buy a place over there and go over more often to visit family but that would be it. I wouldn't take my children back there to live when they have a better life here.

More by luck than choice ......i could be living the dream within 5 years .....went to oz with nothing in 89 ......come home with4k in 94 to keep an eye on my parents .......in 2012 we have 2 houses ......one in oz ....one in the UK .....and 2 passports .........more ups and downs than i dont know what ......been broke ......been loaded and back again .......iam on the rollercoaster ......god knows whos driving

I have been in Aus for 9 months now. In England I lived in the beautiful countryside loved my job, friendly people and generally a pleasant place to be, now I know if I move 30 mins away I could have lived a whole different life style there with trouble, drugs crime poor education ect.

Now I live in Australia and my life is the opposite. I work in a high unemployed area where many people are alcoholics and drug addicts, there is gun crime and there was even a bomb scare in my place of work. I did not know when relocating here the areas would be so rough but unfortunately it is where my partner has sponsorship for our visa and although I don't like the area I know from weekends away and holidays there are some beautiful areas and will one day live in a pleasant place here in Australia. So really it doesn't matter which country you live in, there will be nice places and not so nice. Back to the original question 2acers of land and that much money sounds lovely and I could always holiday in Australia at my brothers house!!!!!

Well these days it is rather a lot more difficult to move than times past. The cost of moving and selling up buying somewhere else, or renting are all very expensive and far more complicated. If for example a family moves to Perth it may take considerable time to find a rental.

I recall the days when could decide what and where I wanted to live and move in same day. All long gone I'm afraid.

[/b]

Maybe if you're on your own, but if you've got kids?. Jobs, school places, shipping your belongings interstate, constant upheaval?. Sounds pretty hard to me.

Very true as I earlier commented. I think I recall reading that the poster last moved in 1976. Another world,place and time.The ability to do this has got far harder over recent years.

Gimme the money. Yep, can't wait to get back. People moan everywhere and not all are optimistic. Walk into any shopping area in either country and be friendly and smile and people are firendly back. When I felt very ill after an operation and looked miserable I found the reverse - I was treated rudely everywhere and even got ignored waiting to put a script in at the chemist - I was the only person at the counter and someone taller came towards us from behind and the girl asked her if she wanted serving - first time I became totally invisible and I realised it was because of how I felt and looked. Not everything is positive here in Oz at the moment (ask anyone about politcs) and where I have lived for years - Gold Coast and soutside of Brisbane - we are getting constant burgleries and ram raids, several a week and news of the latest violent attacks every night are quite depressing. I've actually lost count of them over the last few weeks. The weather has been crazy again this year, just as it has in the UK too. There is a two speed economy here and so many jobs are now casual without paid holiday or sick leave and you can be asked to leave without warning. For many people that want to return to the UK I don't think it is any of these things that are on their minds - it's more of a gut instinct that they to go 'home'.

Archived