Another Pom going home after 40 year

chrisrich 5

My story started I'm nov 2009 when I took a trip back home to the uk to buy a car and bring it back to Oz

it had been thirty years Since I set foot on home soil .

It did not take long for me to feel like I had only been away for a few years everything looked so familiar ,as I drove along the county lanes I couldnt help thinking to myself how beautiful everything looked even in december. I brought the car and returned to oz .

I decided not to bring the car over here so i left it in a friends garage till the following June as I was going to take an early retirement in June 2010. Instead of booking a return ticket I persuaded my wife to book a one way ticket and we ended up staying 16 months and in that time I came to fall in love with the county that I was born in I don't think I have ever seen country side more beautiful than there is in england

I had such a strong feeling of being in a place that I belonged to it was my country and it felt so right to be there and it was the place where all my ancestors came from and I want to be buried in my home land .

So here we are 5 months later and our house is ready to go on the market on Saturday and I hope it sells quickly as we have already booked our ticket home at the end of the year.

we live on the goldcoast, as regards the car brought in two cars in as personal imports we are going to sell them.

In saying all this I don't want to take anything away from this beautiful county it has been good to me but in saying that I have worked hard for what I have .

At my stage in life all the things that brought me to this country are not important to me anymore and my homeland has all the things that are important and that's where I want to spend the rest of my days .

I wish all the people coming here to start a new life and all the people returning home the very best of luck .

chris

Good luck with the move Chris - you've been in Aus even longer than I have! I can tell you, though, that being back in UK is the icing on the cake and I hope it is great for you!!! I agree with so much of what you have said!

My story started I'm nov 2009 when I took a trip back home to the uk to buy a car and bring it back to Oz

It did not take long for me to feel like I had only been away for a few years everything looked so familiar ,as I drove along the county lanes I couldnt help thinking to myself how beautiful everything looked even in december. I brought the car and returned to oz .

I decided not to bring the car over here so i left it in a friends garage till the following June as I was going to take an early retirement in June 2010. Instead of booking a return ticket I persuaded my wife to book a one way ticket and we ended up staying 16 months and in that time I came to fall in love with the county that I was born in I don't think I have ever seen country side more beautiful than there is in england

I had such a strong feeling of being in a place that I belonged to it was my country and it felt so right to be there and it was the place where all my ancestors came from and I want to be buried in my home land .

So here we are 5 months later and our house is ready to go on the market on Saturday and I hope it sells quickly as we have already booked our ticket home at the end of the year.

we live on the goldcoast, as regards the car brought in two cars in as personal imports we are going to sell them.

In saying all this I don't want to take anything away from this beautiful county it has been good to me but in saying that I have worked hard for what I have .

At my stage in life all the things that brought me to this country are not important to me anymore and my homeland has all the things that are important and that's where I want to spend the rest of my days .

I wish all the people coming here to start a new life and all the people returning home the very best of luck .

chris

Chris ,.....in advance .....welcome home

I was working in Broadway in the cotswolds, last week ( a must see ) .

I got talking to a Dutch couple and then a French party, looking for directions ( we are all european now you know ) :wink:......i complimented them on their countries , they in turn said " ours " was the most beautiful countryside in europe ......i had to agree

Chris ,.....in advance .....welcome home

I was working in Broadway in the cotswolds, last week ( a must see ) .

I got talking to a Dutch couple and then a French party, looking for directions ( we are all european now you know ) :wink:......i complimented them on their countries , they in turn said " ours " was the most beautiful countryside in europe ......i had to agree

p.s i work all over the U.K ......Dunstable .....Luton .....and Ashford ( kent ) yesterday

And Chester today .............so i see the good and the bad .......choose your destination wisely

Guest truebeliver

a lovely post chris :) id be proud of what youve achieved, past and present it sounds like youve lived a full life, be glad that you have the maturity to make a new descision to change your life rather than dig your heels in living in a country that dosent suit your needs anymore

all the best

dawn x

chris

Excited next chapter for you! brilliant. Know what you mean about where you want to spend the rest of your days, when I used to drive past this sandy old cemetery in Guildford (Perth) it seemed so isolated & forgotten about, that it used to make me really miserable at the prospect of ending up there, just by driving past it...!

A great post chris, quite moving to read.

I wish you and your wife the best of luck !

Hi mate,

i remember reading about you looking about coming back to uk. Just wandering how your getting on now. Are you still returning or staying.

were looking at Perth next year.

Chris , very moving story , we live in Devon and as you said the countryside is amazing , just need the big yellow ball to shine more

Good luck and all the best

Wow you give me hope I have been here 26 years now and like you I like Australia but I NEED to go home as soon as I can ..... my kids are 13 and 15 ( whose father is an aussie - form whom I am divorced) and so I have another 6 years and then I will be returning for a few months ( hopefully with them and hubby - who is a pom) and we will see. I have what I call my england attacks its more than home sickness and this is after 26 years...... Good luck....

What a great post, I hope the house sells quickly for you, I too am returning at the end of the year (after only 3 years) and cannot wait. Best of luck!

Hi Wishful,

I hope its not long before your wish comes true and that it has the same effect on you as it had on me ,people say that Englands not the same ,nor is Australia the same place that i came to in 1970, i belive it is getting more like America .

And it also has a lot to do with the almighty pull of, where you where born and its called { Rootes } .

Hi Wishful,

I hope its not long before your wish comes true and that it has the same effect on you as it had on me ,people say that Englands not the same ,nor is Australia the same place that i came to in 1970, i belive it is getting more like America .

And it also has a lot to do with the almighty pull of, where you where born and its called { Rootes } .

I have made it well known on here I have lived in the USA and UK (i'm a pom) I spent 30 years in USA late 70's to 2007, and before that UK and then 2007 to 2009 in UK loads of trips home over the 30 years. Now having been here the past 2 1/2 years I can safely attest that if we are to judge which is more like the USA, Australia wins hands down, i wont go into reasons which I could clearly do on many levels. The thing is all three are great in their own ways, all three have significant problems some similar some different. So, for many delusional people that think Oz is like the UK only 30 years ago, WRONG.....None of the there are like the others they are all extremely different their own entities just try to enjoy them for what they are.

I have made it well known on here I have lived in the USA and UK (i'm a pom) I spent 30 years in USA late 70's to 2007, and before that UK and then 2007 to 2009 in UK loads of trips home over the 30 years. Now having been here the past 2 1/2 years I can safely attest that if we are to judge which is more like the USA, Australia wins hands down, i wont go into reasons which I could clearly do on many levels. The thing is all three are great in their own ways, all three have significant problems some similar some different. So, for many delusional people that think Oz is like the UK only 30 years ago, WRONG.....None of the there are like the others they are all extremely different their own entities just try to enjoy them for what they are.

Totally agree with you - Oz like the Uk 30 years ago????? I don't think so ....AND totally agree with you everywhere on this earth is different enjoy it for what it is - why try and compare

Guest Jameslvnlife

Thats the truth! think we have some good spots over here and the....well lets just keep it polite and say not so good spots.

Guest Jameslvnlife

Sorry for double posting, I am new,lol. But Chris I think the great thing about that is home is where the heart is and will always be. If it was me and my wife we would probably stay but the future of England is what I dont like so for the families sake the move makes so much sense. Looks a brighter future for the kids over in OZ, or at least we hope so!

I have been in Oz 31 years and want to go back ASAP but have just found out that if I hang on another 2 years, I can claim the Aussie pension and it is portable but I won't get anything from Oz if I am not here when I turn 65 and this has to be my principle place of residence at that time - ie home here etc. If we leave this year and want the pension then we will have to return for minimum of 2 years anyway to claim residence for the pension apparently (I'm an Aussie citizen). If we buy a house over there now and come back for the 2 years the property overseas will be treated as an asset and if we rent it out it our aussie pension will be reduced because of the income! We suddenly feel absolutely stimied and frustrated as life is too short to hang around for the pension but it would make such a difference to our lifestyle over there.

Guest Relocate Northern Beaches

I think a lot of people begin to feel that way as they get older....its good for you to go back and catch up on things!

I have been in Oz 31 years and want to go back ASAP but have just found out that if I hang on another 2 years, I can claim the Aussie pension and it is portable but I won't get anything from Oz if I am not here when I turn 65 and this has to be my principle place of residence at that time - ie home here etc. If we leave this year and want the pension then we will have to return for minimum of 2 years anyway to claim residence for the pension apparently (I'm an Aussie citizen). If we buy a house over there now and come back for the 2 years the property overseas will be treated as an asset and if we rent it out it our aussie pension will be reduced because of the income! We suddenly feel absolutely stimied and frustrated as life is too short to hang around for the pension but it would make such a difference to our lifestyle over there.

Do you mean the government pension from Centrelink? I'm only asking as as far as I know you can't get your Australian pension paid in the UK if you live there permanently as Australia no longer has a social security agreement with the UK.

We were told that once claimed under normal criteria whilst living here, then we can move to any country in the world and still get it - is this wrong? What we canot do is move there and then claim it when I do reach pension age from UK. Unlike Britain where you can live here for 40 years and then apply for a part British pension from Oz - does not seem at all fair!

We were told that once claimed under normal criteria whilst living here, then we can move to any country in the world and still get it - is this wrong? What we canot do is move there and then claim it when I do reach pension age from UK. Unlike Britain where you can live here for 40 years and then apply for a part British pension from Oz - does not seem at all fair!

If that's what Centrelink told you then I am wrong, I was just going on research I had done myself and reading the Centrelink website. On there it reads as though you can get it paid just about anywhere except the UK. If you've had it from the horse's mouth then I've misinterpreted the information. Hope you can get something sorted out, it does seem really unfair that you pay tax for many years here and get no pension at all.

Archived