Visa granted! So why am I not excited???

Guest Lucy Furness

Guest Lucy Furness

Our 475 regional state sponsored visa was granted yesterday after 13 months of hard graft and headaches!

But instead of the whoop whoops and celebrations I'd anticipated, I feel kind of flat! Huh!

Now I'm thinking about the expenses, have no idea which regional part of WA is good for us, not got jobs lined up etc.

I think maybe the chase was far more exciting for me!! There's just so much to do now, like selling our house and getting organised, but I honestly thought I'd be on cloud nine by now..... Is it just me who feels this way after getting so far?

:skeptical:

Cold feet right now is seriously NOT an option!

:em3600:

No its not just you, we spent ages going through the process, when it came through I was jumping up and down and my OH was like you - very flat. Over the past 2 months as the different things have start to fall into place and more detailed research has been done. She is now jumping up and down - she is more excited than I am now.

I am sure you will pick up - give it a little time.

Good luck

The outlook has changed dramatically for those considering a move to OZ in the past few years. The global financial collapse has hurt the UK more so than Australia. What was once seen as an exciting move is now a financial risk. The exchange rate, the cost of moving, the cost of short term accommodation/house rentals and the cost of cars has taken the shine of being an expat in OZ. Make sure you sit down and figure out your financial costs to cover the time before receiving the first paycheck. Believe it or not, your concerns are similar too many others thinking of going right now.

It may just be delayed reaction at the enormity of it - to be honest sitting back taking stock and planning your move will be a good thing, finances have always been an issue, for those of us not born with the proverbial silverspoon, employment rates in Oz are good and you now have time to do your research and you can start applying for jobs straight away-it is better to go over knowing you have one and this may decide whereabouts you live and give you a date to work to!

Guest emmaandbilly

Im very new to this, but we thought hubby would need to have a job before we even started on the visa!!

Our 475 regional state sponsored visa was granted yesterday after 13 months of hard graft and headaches!

But instead of the whoop whoops and celebrations I'd anticipated, I feel kind of flat! Huh!

Now I'm thinking about the expenses, have no idea which regional part of WA is good for us, not got jobs lined up etc.

I think maybe the chase was far more exciting for me!! There's just so much to do now, like selling our house and getting organised, but I honestly thought I'd be on cloud nine by now..... Is it just me who feels this way after getting so far?

Congratulations !!!! Lucky you!

But why 13 months? I saw in "475 visa timeline" thread your Lodge date= 17 Jan 2012, isn't it ?

Maybe since the skill assestment ?

good luck with the move.

Hey, we should hear this week to about or regional visas, i think once we actually get the visas i will be feeling just like you, the excitment has kinda gone this past 2 weeks for me! We have opted for Mandurah. How long have you got to validate yours?

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I think most will feel like this some time or other, there is many different factors as to why, the enormity of what you might do, the stress of everything, the thoughts of leaving everyone and everything behind, its only natural, most times i am up, but every so often i feel a bit down over it all. Best of luck.

Guest Lucy Furness

Crikey! So it's not just me then!!!

I do think the excitement of the chase was half the buzz for me, and now the chase is over I'm lost!

There really is so much to consider now that it's real.

If we can't sell the house it'll be even harder. I'm just focussing on selling my dog grooming business now and luckily have some interest so far, which will at least create an Australia fund in case we can't sell the house in time.

I want to go sooner rather than later, but funds just won't allow it, and it's INCREDIBLY expensive out there. Even looking at health insurance and bonds for rent are scary. Of course we looked at all this when applying, but never paid it much attention as it was still a dream!

I'm so relieved to hear I'm not alone.

Actually, my husband just came home and told me he feels the same! Phew!

I think I need a good night out (now I've passed my medicals lol) to get it out of my system, and CELEBRATE! :)

Guest tandcmum

it seems to be a normal feeling for many. The process of getting a visa is long and hard but almost never seems real but when you finally get that grant letter it kind of hits you that you are actually moving to the other side of the world.

For me i was very excited on initially getting the visa but after a few days i found myself quite moody and almost couldn't be bothered to organise anything, when we eventually set a date and booked the flights the excitement kicked back in again

congrats on getting your visa and all the best with your move x

I was soooo happy when our visa came through but then had a few months where we had sold our house and lived with the in-laws until we emigrated, where I sort of got over the excitement. It started for real again about 4 weeks before we came out. Quitting work, saying goodbye to people and then more and more excited as we got to the day we flew out. Couldn't wait then, was on cloud nine from getting to the airport in Manchester. Still on it now 20 years down the track.

Living the dream:biggrin:

Hi,

dont worry I remember feeling exactly the same, I got the email in the middle of the night in the loo and nearly never woke my hubbie up! I was sooooo excited about the state sponsorship we got but visa- blah. It came later though and have now been here six months and loving it!

Give yourself time, is big news!

cheers

gill x

• 1 month later...
Guest emmaandbilly

hi were really new to website, can you apply for the 475 visa without a job, i was on the immi website today and it looked like you had to have a job before you could even start , thanks emma

Guest Lucy Furness
hi were really new to website, can you apply for the 475 visa without a job, i was on the immi website today and it looked like you had to have a job before you could even start , thanks emma

Hi Emma

No, we don't have a job lined up! The 475 is state sponsored and we have to agree to live in a regional area (it gave us the points we needed) for 2 years before applying for permanent residency.

Honestly, it's all so complicated! Maybe you're mixing up the 475 state sponsored with the 457 employer sponsored? Sooooo many get these mixed up which confuses the issue even more!

The 475 RSS (regional state sponsored) is ok if you are trying to gain extra points like us. We needed the extra 5 to get in or we'd be doomed!

Good luck with your adventures! It's sure to be worth it in the end?!!

We're no closer to getting there even with our visa in place as we can't sell the house after all that!

Lucy

Takes a long time to sink in. Didn't sink in with me till the taxi left for the airport !

^^ This is just what happened to me ~ Spent almost the whole time madly texting my good friends & sister, whilst crying! :cry:

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Congrats on getting your visa, I do agree with others, it may be that its all so real now & you are a little shocked?

Good luck :cute:

I wasn't particularly excited about visa grant day either. It was just oh right it is here then, does that mean we are going. I didn't get excited about moving over or anything, I wasn't dreading it either, just was never whoot whooting. I never had rose tinted, didn't think I was moving to paradise or anything like that. The upside of missing out on the euphoria that some people will experience, is that everything has exceeded my expectations. :wink:

Archived