176 visa lodged March 2012

Guest jamesandstephcole

cool will dig out the birth certs and bring the passports when we go in to centrelink. we have 2 kids under 5 and will be living on one income so i'm pretty sure we're entitled to something but might have to wait for wages to come through (and for that will need a job of course but progress being made for that).

so great you have a new pad. do you have kids pradiprn? i'm guessing no with a studio apartment but i got the impression you have kids in one of your earlier posts! when do you move in? how has the weather been in perth? warm during the day?

nishi i really have my fingers crossed for you hun. i'm sure it will be very soon and understand how frustrating it is. can you still work with your bridging visa? i guess you will have to eh. i'm glad you are living your life in australia though rather than biting your nails waiting to go. makes it a little easier maybe.

haha no kids been married for about two years now. still some time before we start a family. we get the keys on 11th July so will move in immediately. Perth is cold but pleasant. Today it was about 19 degrees in the day. No rain forecast for the weekend so it will be good to get out. So far the weather hasnt disappointed me.

its good that you are making progress on the job front. I started today and looks like its going to be a tough one. also looking to enroll in a course to help with getting relevant skills. lets see how that goes

Whereabouts will you be staying once you land?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is some information that I gathered from friends and the Internet - yeah first thing I researched as I can't live without my phone and internet :laugh:

Essentially 3 Mobile Networks (In order of coverage) - Coverage is defined as % of population rather than % of land since Australia is freaking huge.

1) Telstra - Wide coverage including most rural areas

2) Optus - Fully owned by Singtel :) - Second best

3) Vodafone/3

4) Rest of them piggyback on one of those networks.

The plan that was suggested by my friends is called Amaysim (Runs on Optus). It is an unlimited plan with 4GB data for 40 bucks a month - prepaid.

http://www.amaysim.com.au/

Hey guys,

Good to see you all settling your lives on OZ shores..such an exciting time of life:cute:.

As am getting really impatient and insecure about our future here, I really want to write to CO. Do you think it be alright to discuss the matter with our CO and ask how long the finalization of application can take? I don't have the working rights on my bridging as we are not going to apply for further substantive visa. If CO can give some sort of hint, we would know if we should book one way flight or return, if we should sell all the household stuff before leaving or should we just sub-let to friends so we can come back when visa is grant (if at all). This is so frustrating and I don't see any point in hanging around here without working and eating up on savings. :(

Hey guys,

Good to see you all settling your lives on OZ shores..such an exciting time of life:cute:.

As am getting really impatient and insecure about our future here, I really want to write to CO. Do you think it be alright to discuss the matter with our CO and ask how long the finalization of application can take? I don't have the working rights on my bridging as we are not going to apply for further substantive visa. If CO can give some sort of hint, we would know if we should book one way flight or return, if we should sell all the household stuff before leaving or should we just sub-let to friends so we can come back when visa is grant (if at all). This is so frustrating and I don't see any point in hanging around here without working and eating up on savings. :(

Hi Nishi,

I don't think they have any reason not to grant you a visa. Talking to your CO is a good idea. Try to plead your case and she may advise you something. At the very least, if you can get the names of the external agencies that are doing the security check may be you can try to reach them directly and see how things are moving. Good luck.

Hi Nishi,

I don't think they have any reason not to grant you a visa. Talking to your CO is a good idea. Try to plead your case and she may advise you something. At the very least, if you can get the names of the external agencies that are doing the security check may be you can try to reach them directly and see how things are moving. Good luck.

Hey toOZ,

Last week when we called DIAC they said your documents are being verified. When we asked if it is being done by DIAC or others, she said by other departments. However earlier when called, the operator had specifically ruled out these verifications being external checks. Thus it is so confusing, they say it's not external checks (Also others, we talked to, said you would have been asked to fill up some security forms, if it was external checks) but if not external checks then what it is? Some also says most of the times operator doesn't have the slightest of idea what's happening with your case.

I just want to get on with life, be it here or somewhere else:frown:

Hey toOZ,

Last week when we called DIAC they said your documents are being verified. When we asked if it is being done by DIAC or others, she said by other departments. However earlier when called, the operator had specifically ruled out these verifications being external checks. Thus it is so confusing, they say it's not external checks (Also others, we talked to, said you would have been asked to fill up some security forms, if it was external checks) but if not external checks then what it is? Some also says most of the times operator doesn't have the slightest of idea what's happening with your case.

as toOz says, it makes sense to write a detailed mail to your CO explaining the circumstances and requesting clarity on your case.

Hey toOZ,

The other checks would be Internal checks which I understand are mostly "Document Integrity" and employment verification (which was done in your case).

I called the DIAC office in Canberra and the operators/officers there have full access, they can see whatever your CO sees - When I called to check about my PCCs - the operator saw my file in detail and even offered to put a note to the CO.

Try to reach your CO by phone, e-mail's tend to come back with standard responses.

I'll be moving to Melbourne September .. Is it ok to apply for jobs now?

Congratz machan. Good luck on your job hunt. My plan is to move Perth within August. But my personal belief is, without a Ausi contact number, they might not contact you. :o

Of course. You can tell them about the move-in date when they call you. Good luck.

Have you had any luck with looking at jobs here.I am now fighting with that elusive thing called local experience. Rejections coming in at a very fast pace!

Have you had any luck with looking at jobs here.I am now fighting with that elusive thing called local experience. Rejections coming in at a very fast pace!

Yeah, friends warned me about the 'local experience' thing. They say that it can only be defeated with things like 'transferable skills', some kind of short/bridge course to get back into the game, pure luck or some combination of those. It's best to have a chat with your agent to find out what companies really look for in your profession. All the best with your hunt.

As for me, I was fortunate enough to get an offer on the first try but I had to reject it due to my 3 months extension here and they didn't want to wait any longer. So I am back to square one and will start looking for another in a few months.

Congratz machan. Good luck on your job hunt. My plan is to move Perth within August. But my personal belief is, without a Ausi contact number, they might not contact you. :o

That's easy, just buy an Australian phone number from Skype or any of the million other VoIP provides out there. Or if you have a friend there, you can buy and ship them an OZ number and set-up call forwarding to wherever you are - it won't be cheap but it'll be worth it. Cheers.

PS: I tried both techniques - Skype is cheap but sometimes it is plagued with reliability issues. Call forwarding works every time but you need to top-up your account with some 100+ bucks so that you won't get disconnected during that very important interview call.

everybody we made it to perth. a smooth no frills flight with virgin. not a cloud in the sky for most of it so no turbulence. no more flying for me for a long time!!! we got our rental car (we'll have it for a week but might have to be longer) and got to our rockingham rental. its very nice and it will be great to be here for our first few months. met the landlord who seemed like a good bloke. will start car shopping soon, so much to do come monday, everything seems to be shut here on a sunday! good thing we got some food shopping done.

also managed to set up mobile broadband with vodafone. 12gb on a month to month no contract plan is $49pm. I know virgin gives you a bit more data for the same price but i didn't want to get locked into a contract. we use quite a lot of data so 12gb should be about right, and have the option of increasing or decreasing at any time. went for their pocket wifi thing that can connect several computers at the same time. its easy and we managed to get approved which is good. i think they like a bill if anyone else is thinking of trying to get something like this, as well as a bank card and passport (100 points id).

nice and quiet here and so nice to have our own space at last. will unpack tomorrow as time is getting on for tonight.

hubby will start job hunting come monday. i don't think the local experience will be a problem for him since he is a kiwi - they are more or less considered the same. its a shame you have to prove yourself eh.

like pradiprn i will keep you updated.

everybody we made it to perth. a smooth no frills flight with virgin. not a cloud in the sky for most of it so no turbulence. no more flying for me for a long time!!! we got our rental car (we'll have it for a week but might have to be longer) and got to our rockingham rental. its very nice and it will be great to be here for our first few months. met the landlord who seemed like a good bloke. will start car shopping soon, so much to do come monday, everything seems to be shut here on a sunday! good thing we got some food shopping done.

also managed to set up mobile broadband with vodafone. 12gb on a month to month no contract plan is $49pm. I know virgin gives you a bit more data for the same price but i didn't want to get locked into a contract. we use quite a lot of data so 12gb should be about right, and have the option of increasing or decreasing at any time. went for their pocket wifi thing that can connect several computers at the same time. its easy and we managed to get approved which is good. i think they like a bill if anyone else is thinking of trying to get something like this, as well as a bank card and passport (100 points id).

nice and quiet here and so nice to have our own space at last. will unpack tomorrow as time is getting on for tonight.

hubby will start job hunting come monday. i don't think the local experience will be a problem for him since he is a kiwi - they are more or less considered the same. its a shame you have to prove yourself eh.

like pradiprn i will keep you updated.

Welcome to Perth! The weather is expected to be good for the week. So you can enjoy some time out as well. Vodafone seems to have a definite advantage as they are right there at the airport. I have taken their data plan for iPad. Though it is a 3G connection so far I am no mpressed with the speed.

We spent the day today at Fremantle. Nice place to visit. Make sure you visit the shipwrecker galleries if you go there. Interesting museum!

Monday is the big day for me as I am going to sign the lease.

As for bridging courses already looking at some but they are flaming expensive! I am getting a little jittery about the impact it will have on finances. But if push comes to shove then will have to do it.

So pleased to read that Pradiprn and Leanie have touched down in Oz and have started your new lives. Thanks for letting us know how you are getting on. I am sure you will find jobs soon.

Looking forward to joining you all in Oz around the end of October

Let us know how you get on with the car situation Leanie.

Millie x

Hey Pardiprn, if am right I read somewhere in your previous posts that you bought extra baggage with Emirates (32 KG for $25). How did you get that deal? 'coz we are wanting to book with Emirates but for extra luggage they will charge 50$ per KG and 20% discount if bought online. That's insane price and will cost more than ticket itself. Please let me know if there is way to buy it cheaper from them. Thanks :)

Hey Pardiprn, if am right I read somewhere in your previous posts that you bought extra baggage with Emirates (32 KG for $25). How did you get that deal? 'coz we are wanting to book with Emirates but for extra luggage they will charge 50$ per KG and 20% discount if bought online. That's insane price and will cost more than ticket itself. Please let me know if there is way to buy it cheaper from them. Thanks :)

Nope not $25. from Dubai it was 185 AED. If anything I was saying dont travel emirates... no additional allowance on PR like malaysian or singapore and excess baggage charges are crazy! From Mumbai to Dubai I ended up paying more than the cost of a return ticket and that was after the discount! the only way for you to get around this is if you know someone in emirates who has the 'influence' to get you extra baggage allowance

It really depends on the country from where you have booked the ticket. they charge different rates in different countries in local currencies.

Maybe one of you March guys who have alread moved out could help me please?

What happens when you go through customs on a 176? We are not going to validate - just straight out .........permanently :biggrin:

Do you still get that 'guilty' feeling even though you have done nothing wrong? Is it all quite painless? Or are there 101 questions? Have I been watching too much passport control / nothing to declare!!??

What happens when you go through customs on a 176? We are not going to validate - just straight out .........permanently :biggrin:

Do you still get that 'guilty' feeling even though you have done nothing wrong? Is it all quite painless? Or are there 101 questions? Have I been watching too much passport control / nothing to declare!!??

Great question ,

us to , we can't afford reckie. We've never been to oz before , so it's one small step for man one giant gamble for mankind

Cheers

ian

Thats what I did moved bag and baggage...no reccie. Had no problems with customs. As long as you are upfront about what you carry. I had prescription medicines for diabetes and I declared that. They asked me at the passport control because I had marked yes to relevant question. I told them I had medication for diabetes and that was the end of it. Just as we cleared passport control there was another gentleman from customs who checked the card again and asked if I had prescription. I said yes. He then stamped the card and asked me to collect my bags and exit. All very politely quickly and efficiently. Once we collected the bags and moved o the exit there was a lady there who took the card looked it and guided us to the exit. No checking the bags. There were others who were guided to the customs area for bags to be checked. These I suspect were people carrying food or other restricted items.

We also said we were carrying used shoes and that they hs been cleaned. It cleared as well.

So for us personally it was a very painless process. The only time consuming part was waiting for the bags to come.we were out in less than an 30 minutes

In summary it's ok to be nervous. But you don't have to feel guilty as long as you aren't doing anything illegal. One handy tip I have is that you pack all the stuff that may be vulnerable to inspection in one bag saves the trouble if you are asked by customs to open the bags. And if you are carrying used stuff like shoes or bags, get them cleaned, same goes for tools I reckon.

Nope not $25. from Dubai it was 185 AED. If anything I was saying dont travel emirates... no additional allowance on PR like malaysian or singapore and excess baggage charges are crazy! From Mumbai to Dubai I ended up paying more than the cost of a return ticket and that was after the discount! the only way for you to get around this is if you know someone in emirates who has the 'influence' to get you extra baggage allowance

It really depends on the country from where you have booked the ticket. they charge different rates in different countries in local currencies.

Oh I'm really sorry. I must have read that quote on some other thread but I surely did. I might probably look at the option of sending excess baggage separately by sea mail. Also just in case if we get our PR at all before flying out, we can cancel our tickets with Emirates at the charge of $250 per person whereas other airlines charge between $400 to $600. That's why we have chosen Emirates.

Guest sangeeth

Yes I have applied for many jobs but no positive response yet.... Can you please send me the lawyer name that you certified your documents?

For my friend..

Thanks in advance...

have a safe journey..

As if by magic I appear hee hee. Can't believe I log on for the first time and there is pradiprn asking where I had disappeared too hee hee.

Sooooo sorry ain't been on in a while peeps but as you can imagine it's been crazy. Well WE ARE HERE and are loving it. From the moment we landed everything has run like a dream.

We trotted straight through customs with all 6 cases 4 hand luggage and 2 laptop bags having declared food (kids had some sweets left over) they just asked what we had to declare and on we trotted.

We came via singapore and stopped there for 6hours and went to the pool for a swim, I highly recommend this its fab watching the planes taxi behind you as you sit in the jacuzzi hee hee.

Since arriving a week ago tomorrow we have purchased our first 4x4 we have called her kanga hee hee and we have 3 house viewings booked for point cook and sanctuary lakes over the next few days. Plus has hubby has a job interview in the morning with boeing. Our two dogs fly out in just 20 days and all that's left to say is................... We are never coming back hee hee.

How is everyone else doing? I have missed catching up with everyone Sooooo much but plan to log on as often as possible. Big hugs to everyone from us down here in melbourne :biggrin:

Archived