176 visa lodged March 2012

Guest jamesandstephcole

Currently we are sponsored by husband's employer but it expires soon (in a month actually). As 176 is an off-shore file, bridging visa can't be issued on this. Bridging visa is issued only to fill the processing time-gap of on-shore visas.

Hi Nishi,

Sorry to hear about the email that you got. I hope that it is just that your CO is on holidays, leave, etc, and I think too that is most likely the case.

You are correct about bridging visa not applying to a 176 application.

However, remember that you have other options for staying on-shore lawfully, even if your current visa is expiring.

You can apply for another visa which is capable of being granted while you are on-shore. Once you do that, a bridging visa will automatically be granted while that new visa application is being processed. The new visa application will not affect your offshore 176 application. You can have the two applications in existence at the same time.

What other visa you apply for will depend on your circumstances. Obviously you need to apply for a visa for which you will be eligible. This could, for example, be another employer-sponsored visa - for either your husband or yourself, and with any employer in Australia who is willing to sponsor either you or your husband.

Employer-sponsored visas are not the only onshore visas which you would be eligible to apply for.

I think everyone here is of the view that it wont be long until your 176 visa is finalised. One option for you therefore is, if you have some savings and decide that it is ok not to work for a short while, while your 176 visa is being finalised, is to apply for a subclass 676 tourist visa - which can be both applied for and granted while you are onshore (and therefore granting you a bridging visa while it is being processed). The subclass 676 visa (when granted) is then usually granted for 3 or 6 months, but can be granted for up to 12 months. If applying for this, you would use Form 601 "Application for a further stay as a visitor" (http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/601.pdf). However, you should not apply for this visa until maybe 2 weeks before your current visa expires, when you are ready for you/your husband to stop working... as once the subclass 676 visa is granted, it will cancel your current visa which has work rights.

I think probably you wont need to worry about this, and that the 176 will be granted very soon... but just so you know that even if there are delays with the 176, you will be able to apply for another visa to help lawful onshore status.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you though that you get the 176 soon and wont need to apply for any other onshore visa.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Nishi,

Sorry to hear about the email that you got. I hope that it is just that your CO is on holidays, leave, etc, and I think too that is most likely the case.

You are correct about bridging visa not applying to a 176 application.

However, remember that you have other options for staying on-shore lawfully, even if your current visa is expiring.

You can apply for another visa which is capable of being granted while you are on-shore. Once you do that, a bridging visa will automatically be granted while that new visa application is being processed. The new visa application will not affect your offshore 176 application. You can have the two applications in existence at the same time.

What other visa you apply for will depend on your circumstances. Obviously you need to apply for a visa for which you will be eligible. This could, for example, be another employer-sponsored visa - for either your husband or yourself, and with any employer in Australia who is willing to sponsor either you or your husband.

Employer-sponsored visas are not the only onshore visas which you would be eligible to apply for.

I think everyone here is of the view that it wont be long until your 176 visa is finalised. One option for you therefore is, if you have some savings and decide that it is ok not to work for a short while, while your 176 visa is being finalised, is to apply for a subclass 676 tourist visa - which can be both applied for and granted while you are onshore (and therefore granting you a bridging visa while it is being processed). The subclass 676 visa (when granted) is then usually granted for 3 or 6 months, but can be granted for up to 12 months. If applying for this, you would use Form 601 "Application for a further stay as a visitor" (http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/601.pdf). However, you should not apply for this visa until maybe 2 weeks before your current visa expires, when you are ready for you/your husband to stop working... as once the subclass 676 visa is granted, it will cancel your current visa which has work rights.

I think probably you wont need to worry about this, and that the 176 will be granted very soon... but just so you know that even if there are delays with the 176, you will be able to apply for another visa to help lawful onshore status.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you though that you get the 176 soon and wont need to apply for any other onshore visa.

Thanks Killara. Much appreciate time you spared :) and thanks for bringing tourist visa to our attention. Yes it is an option if we are sure that decision would be made in a month or so. However if there is possibility that it might take longer then it won't be wise to stay here and pay all exp. (rent, bills, electricity) out of savings. Lets hope they take decision soon.

You must be leaving for Auckland today and I wish you an amazing trip. You'll come back as permanent resident. Yayay...:)

Thanks Killara. Much appreciate time you spared :) and thanks for bringing tourist visa to our attention. Yes it is an option if we are sure that decision would be made in a month or so. However if there is possibility that it might take longer then it won't be wise to stay here and pay all exp. (rent, bills, electricity) out of savings. Lets hope they take decision soon.

You must be leaving for Auckland today and I wish you an amazing trip. You'll come back as permanent resident. Yayay...:)

Thanks Nishi. Actually, I ended up going to Wellington, NZ in the end. I landed here yesterday, Sunday. When leaving Australia, they noticed at checkin that I had a return flight booked for Thursday, and said that they would just check that the visa was valid for my return. I told them my current visa is valid but would be canceled while I am away as it would be replaced by a permanent residence visa. They said they needed to check my current one though anyway to avoid getting fined; fair enough.

So anyway, today is the first working day then since I got myself offshore... just checked my email now and there was already one there from DIAC, received just an hour ago, and guess what... 175 VISA GRANTED !!!

It wont be long Nishi until you too get a nice letter asking you to take a short trip out of Australia so that they can grant your 176. Will be keeping everything crossed for you and will be watching this thread for your good news to come through, and I'm sure it will soon.

OK.. so can I go home [to Melbourne] now? :biggrin: Wish I could change my flight back to tomorrow now instead. Not bothering with Visa label here, but I will drop my passport into DIAC office when I get back to Melbourne and will get it done there.

Guest ToniA

Congratulations Killara, that's great news.

I hope everyone else who are still awaiting their visa grants get them soon without to much more stress!! It's nice that everyone on here is so supportive as i think it helps just to know someone is out there sharing the experience.

175 VISA GRANTED !!!

It wont be long Nishi until you too get a nice letter asking you to take a short trip out of Australia so that they can grant your 176. Will be keeping everything crossed for you and will be watching this thread for your good news to come through, and I'm sure it will soon.

OK.. so can I go home [to Melbourne] now? :biggrin: Wish I could change my flight back to tomorrow now instead. Not bothering with Visa label here, but I will drop my passport into DIAC office when I get back to Melbourne and will get it done there.

Big congratulations!

Thanks Nishi. Actually, I ended up going to Wellington, NZ in the end. I landed here yesterday, Sunday. When leaving Australia, they noticed at checkin that I had a return flight booked for Thursday, and said that they would just check that the visa was valid for my return. I told them my current visa is valid but would be canceled while I am away as it would be replaced by a permanent residence visa. They said they needed to check my current one though anyway to avoid getting fined; fair enough.

So anyway, today is the first working day then since I got myself offshore... just checked my email now and there was already one there from DIAC, received just an hour ago, and guess what... 175 VISA GRANTED !!!

Congratulations , well done

Got to know yesterday that our CO has been away that's why other CO replied but our file is still with the old one. Also file is in standard processing, we specifically asked if it is external or internal check and the operator replied no, its not internal or external check, it is just standard processing.

Big Congrats Killara! I know after getting this PR status, you'll be eager to get back to OZ.

I have completely stopped worrying about the visa now. It's too much for mind to worry about things you have no control over. I thought it's bit unfair so I'll just let things take place in time. Just hoping everything would be fine 'just in time'.:daydreaming:

Congratulations! That's great news!

Got to know yesterday that our CO has been away that's why other CO replied but our file is still with the old one. Also file is in standard processing, we specifically asked if it is external or internal check and the operator replied no, its not internal or external check, it is just standard processing.

Its like you said Nishi. You hav done all you need to. Once the CO is back I am sure things Will move quickly.

In a way this is great news. Hope your CO comes back soon. Good luck!

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU!! :laugh:

News guys news!! My employment verification was done yesterday and they paid a personal visit. Two guys from Australian embassy one oz and other local met my bosses and discussed my job, duties, salary and joining date etc.. Such a relief to know they are actually working on my file.:rolleyes: It shouldn't be long now once it's been verified. I guess they did so as companies I worked for are big but local companies not any national level. Thus they wanted to check if any such firm actually exist or not.

One question from you all: I was checking all my docs and just now noticed that in form 80 I had forgotten to fill my most recent job (how stupid it sounds) though its been verified and all docs. related to it were submitted. Shall I be worried about it??

News guys news!! My employment verification was done yesterday and they paid a personal visit. Two guys from Australian embassy one oz and other local met my bosses and discussed my job, duties, salary and joining date etc.. Such a relief to know they are actually working on my file.:rolleyes: It shouldn't be long now once it's been verified. I guess they did so as companies I worked for are big but local companies not any national level. Thus they wanted to check if any such firm actually exist or not.

One question from you all: I was checking all my docs and just now noticed that in form 80 I had forgotten to fill my most recent job (how stupid it sounds) though its been verified and all docs. related to it were submitted. Shall I be worried about it??

Hi Nishi,

That's good to hear.

Was form 80 requested or front-loaded? The ideal case would be to inform them but that may add a bit more delay.

Form 1023 is used for notification of incorrect answers.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1023.pdf

Hi Nishi,

That's good to hear.

Was form 80 requested or front-loaded? The ideal case would be to inform them but that may add a bit more delay.

Form 1023 is used for notification of incorrect answers.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1023.pdf

Do I actually need to do it now given the fact that they have verified that job already by personally seeing my boss? What should I do?

Actually I'm considering sending form 1023 due to the fact that jobs have already been verified, thus it won't get delayed any-more. But I'll at least have sigh of relief that I did rectify mistake on form. I don't think it'll make much difference timing-wise re-informing them about the job that has already been checked.

Thats brilliant, not long now :wink:

Do I actually need to do it now given the fact that they have verified that job already by personally seeing my boss? What should I do?

Hi Nishi. I would definitely recommend informing them about this. It is a continuing obligation on the visa applicant to ensure that all answers given are correct and to notify the department of any change in circumstances or of incorrect answers. Something like an employment is in particular highly relevant to the particular visa application which involves skilled migration based on knowledge, skills, and work experience. The effect of failing to disclose an employment really depends on how DIAC view the failure to disclose it. If they consider it something that should have been disclosed because failure to disclose resulted in them being misled, then this is something that could lead to DIAC being entitled to refuse a visa; however, where answers are corrected prior to visa decision, DIAC cannot use the initial failure to give full correct information as a basis for refusing the visa as the information had been given to them prior to making the decision.

The omission from form 80 will certainly not be viewed as serious if in fact you provided the information elsewhere in your own application - and there is a good chance that you in fact have done this and that DIAC knew about your employment from the supporting documents which you yourself submitted - for example, if it was included elsewhere in your application such as on your CV / resumé, which you may have uploaded to show how your skills assessment was obtained. In this case it would be clear to DIAC that it was an innocent accidental ommission from form 80. However, a consistent failure to mention the employment across the entire application - including say in obtaining your skills assessment if DIAC consider that it should have been included there, could be viewed more seriously by DIAC.

The fact that DIAC have verified this employment does not change the above. Yes, you know that DIAC know about it. DIAC however do not know that you know that they know! They may think that they have discovered something which (if not disclosed anywhere else in all of your supporting documentation) you did not want them to know about, and then they would probably speculate as to why you did not want to tell them about this employment, if that is the view that they reach, and this would lead to longer delays (or possibily even refusal) than any delay caused by now informing them of incorrect answer.

It is good to hear though that progress is once again being made with your application. I'm sure that it will be soon now that it will be finalised. Best wishes for this final stage.

For anyone wondering about visa labels - I travelled without visa label in my passport when going from New Zealand to Australia on my newly granted 175 visa on Thursday.

On Friday, during my lunchbreak, I popped into the DIAC office in Melbourne for visa evidencing - took them less than 2 minutes to look it up and print out my visa label and stick it in the passport (ok, I queued for about 20 minutes before getting to see the person who could print out the label). But in short, no long delays getting the visa evidenced in DIAC offices in Australia, and no need for them to keep your passport for a few days or anything. Got it done during by lunchbreak. Actually, I like that my visa label shows that it was issued in Melbourne! My new home! :biggrin:

Hi Nishi. I would definitely recommend informing them about this. It is a continuing obligation on the visa applicant to ensure that all answers given are correct and to notify the department of any change in circumstances or of incorrect answers. Something like an employment is in particular highly relevant to the particular visa application which involves skilled migration based on knowledge, skills, and work experience. The effect of failing to disclose an employment really depends on how DIAC view the failure to disclose it. If they consider it something that should have been disclosed because failure to disclose resulted in them being misled, then this is something that could lead to DIAC being entitled to refuse a visa; however, where answers are corrected prior to visa decision, DIAC cannot use the initial failure to give full correct information as a basis for refusing the visa as the information had been given to them prior to making the decision.

The omission from form 80 will certainly not be viewed as serious if in fact you provided the information elsewhere in your own application - and there is a good chance that you in fact have done this and that DIAC knew about your employment from the supporting documents which you yourself submitted - for example, if it was included elsewhere in your application such as on your CV / resumé, which you may have uploaded to show how your skills assessment was obtained. In this case it would be clear to DIAC that it was an innocent accidental ommission from form 80. However, a consistent failure to mention the employment across the entire application - including say in obtaining your skills assessment if DIAC consider that it should have been included there, could be viewed more seriously by DIAC.

The fact that DIAC have verified this employment does not change the above. Yes, you know that DIAC know about it. DIAC however do not know that you know that they know! They may think that they have discovered something which (if not disclosed anywhere else in all of your supporting documentation) you did not want them to know about, and then they would probably speculate as to why you did not want to tell them about this employment, if that is the view that they reach, and this would lead to longer delays (or possibily even refusal) than any delay caused by now informing them of incorrect answer.

It is good to hear though that progress is once again being made with your application. I'm sure that it will be soon now that it will be finalised. Best wishes for this final stage.

Hey Killara, I completely agree with you and have already sent them form 1023 the other day. However I had disclosed about this job everywhere else like the actual form, resume and had submitted all documents like payslips, certificates etc. It's just that I wanted to write about it on the very page of form 80 due to insufficient space and then completely forgot. I have given them this reason too in form 1023. Let's hope it should set the matter right. :)

Archived