176 visa lodged March 2012

Guest jamesandstephcole

I am jealous of all of our March gang members who are headed/heading out to OZ soon. Feel like that kid who is picked last to play ...

You guys have fun and don't forget to report back.

The best field report will get - wait for it - a star :biggrin:

Dont panic

i haven't got our visa yet , when we do ( hopefully) were looking at march 2013

so you'll be there before me

Cheers

Ian

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And the first leg f my journey to Australia has started. Landed in Dubai earlier in the day. Had a bit of running around on account of th excess baggage but all bags and all items and most importantly all concerned people managed to make it. In ten days I will be starting the second leg. Till then It is shopping and meeting friends and family in dubai!

Good to be on your way. I'm a couple of weeks into my trip round the world. Looking forward to arriving in Aus towards the end of the month and some cool places to go to before then. Been a bit quiet on here lately due to a bad internet connection!

I am jealous of all of our March gang members who are headed/heading out to OZ soon. Feel like that kid who is picked last to play ...

Wow - flashback to my schoolboy days! :laugh:

In all seriousness though ToOz, the 3 months will pass so quickly and you will be here before you know it. Also, sounds like you are going to have a great backpacking trip. That backpacking trip of yours and the world trip of leanie's certainly has me jealous! I don't think I will ever shake the travel bug.

In a remarkably similar experience to your boss making the generous bonus offer to keep you there for a couple months more, I've noticed that my own boss has become a lot more generous since I told him about getting permanent residence (thereby ending the employment sponsorship which had meant that it was a condition of my visa that I continue to work for his firm. Hmmm. :biggrin:).

less than 24 hours remain before I board the flight to Australia! I still have this sense of disbelief and now I am a little scared as well. the thought of starting from scratch is intimidating.

wow maybe you are on your way now pradiprn? good luck with everything. you will be wa bound like us.

we have completed our round the world trip, was good to spend time in canada & japan, and of course back in london again after all these years. a couple of nights in auckland now and then we go to brisbane, then perth days later. a few complications moving our dogs as they are meant to fly a few days after us. there seems to be a problem booking them on the flight since we are not currently in perth. concerns me as i want my dogs out of jail :o( i'm sure we will get it sorted. we will get to brisbane in about 36 hours. nice to be back this side of the world i have to say, you gotta love it.

millie such great news, really pleased to hear it. nishi how are things coming along for you?

wow maybe you are on your way now pradiprn? good luck with everything. you will be wa bound like us.

we have completed our round the world trip, was good to spend time in canada & japan, and of course back in london again after all these years. a couple of nights in auckland now and then we go to brisbane, then perth days later. a few complications moving our dogs as they are meant to fly a few days after us. there seems to be a problem booking them on the flight since we are not currently in perth. concerns me as i want my dogs out of jail :o( i'm sure we will get it sorted. we will get to brisbane in about 36 hours. nice to be back this side of the world i have to say, you gotta love it.

millie such great news, really pleased to hear it. nishi how are things coming along for you?

And I am in Perth! the journey in was kinda painful having to sit ten and half hours in a cramped seat. landed at Perth at 5:40pm and it was already dark. by the time we cleared immigration and exited the airport it was close too 7pm. Immigration was a breeze and much of the time was spent waiting for check in luggage.

got a vodafone sim right at the airport and a data pack for the ipad. sim card was activated immediately at the airport and so we were able to contact family and let them know. the serviced apartment is in a suburb called Shenton Park. its a nice cozy fully furnished and equipped studio apartment with all bells and whistles. it is a tad expensive but worth it

the first thing we did today was to activate the bank account and then we got to see two properties. the weather is cold but pleasant at about 16 degrees or so and so we did a lot of walking around. shopping is expensive but once you start earning in dollars it may not be so bad. there are sales happening right now so shopping is that much interesting if you look for good deals

we now have quite a few properties to look at and hopefully within the next two weeks be able secure a rental. havent yet started talking to consultants about jobs but i hope to start doing that in the next few days. Westpac is a good bank to bank with. we went to a branch and activation was done in 15 minutes. The staff was friendly and helpful and gave tips to settle in.

Later in the day we went to the station over at Murray street and got ourselves smartrider cards. cards cost 10 dollars and the minimum recharge amount to activate the card is 10 dollars and you have the option paying more amount as recharge while activating the card.

the weather is good and I found the city to be good for someone who wants to walk around. I walked for close to three hours through the course of the trip and it was fun.

will keep updating you folks about our adventures as we have them!

Leanie thats some trip you had! hope to catch up with you when you reach Perth.

And I am in Perth! the journey in was kinda painful having to sit ten and half hours in a cramped seat. landed at Perth at 5:40pm and it was already dark. by the time we cleared immigration and exited the airport it was close too 7pm. Immigration was a breeze and much of the time was spent waiting for check in luggage.

got a vodafone sim right at the airport and a data pack for the ipad. sim card was activated immediately at the airport and so we were able to contact family and let them know. the serviced apartment is in a suburb called Shenton Park. its a nice cozy fully furnished and equipped studio apartment with all bells and whistles. it is a tad expensive but worth it

the first thing we did today was to activate the bank account and then we got to see two properties. the weather is cold but pleasant at about 16 degrees or so and so we did a lot of walking around. shopping is expensive but once you start earning in dollars it may not be so bad. there are sales happening right now so shopping is that much interesting if you look for good deals

we now have quite a few properties to look at and hopefully within the next two weeks be able secure a rental. havent yet started talking to consultants about jobs but i hope to start doing that in the next few days. Westpac is a good bank to bank with. we went to a branch and activation was done in 15 minutes. The staff was friendly and helpful and gave tips to settle in.

Later in the day we went to the station over at Murray street and got ourselves smartrider cards. cards cost 10 dollars and the minimum recharge amount to activate the card is 10 dollars and you have the option paying more amount as recharge while activating the card.

the weather is good and I found the city to be good for someone who wants to walk around. I walked for close to three hours through the course of the trip and it was fun.

Glad you finally touched down safe and sound! :)

Thanks for the update - bet you're elated right now! How much was your rental per week?

I'm looking at holiday rentals for October and there abit on the pricey side...

Also you might wanna check out the local papers and go into the estate agents as opposed to on realestate.com.au for rentals - apparently you'll have a better chance of getting a rental...

Nice report, thank you.

Camping here for more news from our Perth correspondent pradiprn :biggrin:

Hi guys, quick update on visa.

agent e mailed today , all police checks and meds have been finalised .

she thinks that there might be news soon

fingers crossed

Ian

Good stuff

Your grant should be very soon :-)

Millie x

Glad you finally touched down safe and sound! :)

Thanks for the update - bet you're elated right now! How much was your rental per week?

I'm looking at holiday rentals for October and there abit on the pricey side...

Also you might wanna check out the local papers and go into the estate agents as opposed to on realestate.com.au for rentals - apparently you'll have a better chance of getting a rental...

Right the more news it is. Registering at centrelink good if you are a family with kids, not so much if you are a couple or single.only service provided is job provider assistance. They will link you up with a job provider but that is also of limited help. Medicare registration better done when you have a more permanent address as cards take 3 to 4 weeks to reach you

rental market is crazy you have like 15 to 20 people at each viewing and then it's a mad rush to get applications in. If you like the place it might be a good idea to increase your offer by 10 to 15 dollars.

Hi guys,

Guess what.

VISA GRANTED , YIPPEE!!!! 

A lovely surprise when I logged on this morning, thank you or all your assistance during the process

Ian

Congratulations Ian! Now to get packing and move!

Hi guys,

Guess what.

A lovely surprise when I logged on this morning, thank you or all your assistance during the process

Ian

Awesome. Congratulations!!!

nishi how are things coming along for you?

Not sure if things are moving at all Leanie. It's been so disheartening- we've done everything right, provided them with all the required documents and there has been no news whatsoever. We are booking tickets coming Tuesday for mid-August as our previous visa is expired and we are on bridging now (though never thought would be doing so):frown:.

Guest ToniA

Haven't been on for a few weeks, congrats to everyone receiving their visas and also those of you who are lucky enough to have started your new lives!!! things have been moving fast since we got back from holiday in May....thought i'd give a quick update!! Firstly my mind was a real muddle with everything we had to do but it all seems to be coming together!!

My OH had a job offer when we got back which meant that we finally had a date to work to, also meant i had to hand in my notice at work as it's 3 months-ouch but am now 1 month in...2 to go and counting!! It's unbearable...i just want to be on that plane on our way...i am so impatient!!

We've managed to get one dog re-homed-sadly but she's just to old to make the journey. The other dog passed his rabies and we've booked the petshippers but he has 2 months here without us before he travels...we are currently trying to find someone for him to stay with for a couple of months until he flies otherwise it's off to the kennels for 2 months...very expensive and hoping to avoid it if possible!! The cats are staying with my parents for a few months until we are settled which is a load off but one of them managed to fail his rabies test so we are having to get it done again, no major issue timewise with this but it hurts the pocket a bit....it's all expensive enough as it is!

Got OH's house for sale now too although the estate agents aren't proving much use....apparently a couple of times they've not had anyone available to show people around!!! Very bad...we need it to sell asap really!!

Having to decorate my house top to bottom so we can let it...and trying to sell everything else we aren't taking!!

We've had a number of quotes from shippers....just need to decided which one to go with but on a good note we have booked flights and are going on the 30th August regardless oh and have booked a holiday let for 3 months when we arrive so we have no mad panic to find a longer term rental!! IT's expensive but it will be worth it!

I've had a job interview, and am just waiting to get the final offer....fingers crossed it's positive.

Think that's everything for now....2 months to go seems like an eternity but with everything we still have to do i know it will be here before we know it!!

Hi guys,

Guess what.

Ian

Fantastic news :-)

Congratulations !!!!

Millie x

Congratulations Ian, very happy for you.

ToniA sounds like you are very busy, all the madness that comes with migrating overseas. It will all come together, I hope you aren't too stressed. Its hard rehoming some pets, we did the same with our cats, its for the best sometimes though.

So g'day everyone from QLD. We arrived yesterday, the flight descending was terrifying - plane was lurching all over the place, we landed safely thank goodness. I am not a very happy flyer so glad that 9 our of 10 flights are now complete. We got through immigration fine. Just a stamp in our passports saying "arrived on June 27" I think. I asked if you get a visa sticker (like you do in nz) and he said its different here and its all lodged on the system. All our bags got here safely - we have 8 pieces for 4 people, the advantage of travelling with kids. The first time ever we didn't have to have our luggage scanned... Got our rental car, very heavy rain in Brisbane. Also got free vodafone prepay sim cards and put on a plan (with prepay you have to choose which plan you use) with free texts, free facebook, $450 credit for $30 per month (not sure how that works), 500mb data. Will let you know how it works out but seems fine for now.

Flying to Perth on saturday, really hope it is a smooth flight, then get to our rental which is for 3 months. What do you need to bring with you for centrelink pradiprn? sounds like you're getting everything organised. will check out the medicare forms later today, hopefully we have everything you need to apply.

Not sure if things are moving at all Leanie. It's been so disheartening- we've done everything right, provided them with all the required documents and there has been no news whatsoever. We are booking tickets coming Tuesday for mid-August as our previous visa is expired and we are on bridging now (though never thought would be doing so):frown:.

maybe a good idea to call them up or write to them if you havent done that in the recent past and explain the situation in detail. maybe we need jasperyogii to come do that song for you again

Congratulations Ian, very happy for you.

ToniA sounds like you are very busy, all the madness that comes with migrating overseas. It will all come together, I hope you aren't too stressed. Its hard rehoming some pets, we did the same with our cats, its for the best sometimes though.

So g'day everyone from QLD. We arrived yesterday, the flight descending was terrifying - plane was lurching all over the place, we landed safely thank goodness. I am not a very happy flyer so glad that 9 our of 10 flights are now complete. We got through immigration fine. Just a stamp in our passports saying "arrived on June 27" I think. I asked if you get a visa sticker (like you do in nz) and he said its different here and its all lodged on the system. All our bags got here safely - we have 8 pieces for 4 people, the advantage of travelling with kids. The first time ever we didn't have to have our luggage scanned... Got our rental car, very heavy rain in Brisbane. Also got free vodafone prepay sim cards and put on a plan (with prepay you have to choose which plan you use) with free texts, free facebook, $450 credit for $30 per month (not sure how that works), 500mb data. Will let you know how it works out but seems fine for now.

Flying to Perth on saturday, really hope it is a smooth flight, then get to our rental which is for 3 months. What do you need to bring with you for centrelink pradiprn? sounds like you're getting everything organised. will check out the medicare forms later today, hopefully we have everything you need to apply.

Leanie sounds like you are having fun with the flights. When you go to centrelink, passports are a must. they are able to link up with DIAC systems and pull out the data from there as well. It would also make sense to carry birth certificate copies et al for your children. I went to the Centrelink CSC at Victoria Park. The Centrelink employee who dealt with us was courteous and efficient and it was a refreshing change. They will answer all the queries that you may have, though it will be good for you to read up on what centrelink can do for you and ask specific queries if you have them.

In other news, apartment is done! one of the applications we put came through. Will sign the papers on Monday and the keys on 11th July. bear in mind closer you get to the city the more the competition is for getting the rental.This is especially true for couples and singles amongst you. For families i suspect it will be the other way round. thankfully we got one right in the city. its right beside the river. Its a studio apartment but it will do. unfortunately we did not get the apartment that was our first choice. Suburb tip of the day: Claremont is one of the suburbs to look at. Close to the city and has a range of housing options, suburb is established and therefore there are lot of options around. We like a place there and just when we were planning to put the application in we got the call that our application for the city apartment was accepted so we left it.

so now its time to start the job hunt. i hope things work out as well as it did with the apartment.

Leanie sounds like you are having fun with the flights. When you go to centrelink, passports are a must. they are able to link up with DIAC systems and pull out the data from there as well. It would also make sense to carry birth certificate copies et al for your children. I went to the Centrelink CSC at Victoria Park. The Centrelink employee who dealt with us was courteous and efficient and it was a refreshing change. They will answer all the queries that you may have, though it will be good for you to read up on what centrelink can do for you and ask specific queries if you have them.

In other news, apartment is done! one of the applications we put came through. Will sign the papers on Monday and the keys on 11th July. bear in mind closer you get to the city the more the competition is for getting the rental.This is especially true for couples and singles amongst you. For families i suspect it will be the other way round. thankfully we got one right in the city. its right beside the river. Its a studio apartment but it will do. unfortunately we did not get the apartment that was our first choice. Suburb tip of the day: Claremont is one of the suburbs to look at. Close to the city and has a range of housing options, suburb is established and therefore there are lot of options around. We like a place there and just when we were planning to put the application in we got the call that our application for the city apartment was accepted so we left it.

so now its time to start the job hunt. i hope things work out as well as it did with the apartment.

cool will dig out the birth certs and bring the passports when we go in to centrelink. we have 2 kids under 5 and will be living on one income so i'm pretty sure we're entitled to something but might have to wait for wages to come through (and for that will need a job of course but progress being made for that).

so great you have a new pad. do you have kids pradiprn? i'm guessing no with a studio apartment but i got the impression you have kids in one of your earlier posts! when do you move in? how has the weather been in perth? warm during the day?

nishi i really have my fingers crossed for you hun. i'm sure it will be very soon and understand how frustrating it is. can you still work with your bridging visa? i guess you will have to eh. i'm glad you are living your life in australia though rather than biting your nails waiting to go. makes it a little easier maybe.

Archived