176 visa lodged March 2012

Guest jamesandstephcole

Maybe one of you March guys who have alread moved out could help me please?

What happens when you go through customs on a 176? We are not going to validate - just straight out .........permanently :biggrin:

Do you still get that 'guilty' feeling even though you have done nothing wrong? Is it all quite painless? Or are there 101 questions? Have I been watching too much passport control / nothing to declare!!??

Hi there,

We felt exactly the same, and had no doubt that we would be pulled aside for a bag search especially having declared food!!

But no, we sailed through customs, they just asked what the food was, stamped our passports and off we went. Must admit we felt a little let down having watched all the "nothing to declare" programmes :laugh:

So try not to worry, its honestly nothing like the programme depicts, you'll be just fine xx

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As if by magic I appear hee hee. Can't believe I log on for the first time and there is pradiprn asking where I had disappeared too hee hee.

Sooooo sorry ain't been on in a while peeps but as you can imagine it's been crazy. Well WE ARE HERE and are loving it. From the moment we landed everything has run like a dream.

We trotted straight through customs with all 6 cases 4 hand luggage and 2 laptop bags having declared food (kids had some sweets left over) they just asked what we had to declare and on we trotted.

We came via singapore and stopped there for 6hours and went to the pool for a swim, I highly recommend this its fab watching the planes taxi behind you as you sit in the jacuzzi hee hee.

Since arriving a week ago tomorrow we have purchased our first 4x4 we have called her kanga hee hee and we have 3 house viewings booked for point cook and sanctuary lakes over the next few days. Plus has hubby has a job interview in the morning with boeing. Our two dogs fly out in just 20 days and all that's left to say is................... We are never coming back hee hee.

How is everyone else doing? I have missed catching up with everyone Sooooo much but plan to log on as often as possible. Big hugs to everyone from us down here in melbourne :biggrin:

Hey there! welcome back! its good to hear that you are getting on swimmingly! keep us updated on your adventures and I hope things go well on the house rental front

Alright....one way tickets booked for 27 August (with emirates-couldn't find better). Now my question is-should I sent my CO this itinerary or wait couple of weeks (as It might slow things down, I can imagine CO thinking, oh they are going back on 27th of next month, I have plenty of time to finalise this application:SLEEP:)?

Alright....one way tickets booked for 27 August (with emirates-couldn't find better). Now my question is-should I sent my CO this itinerary or wait couple of weeks (as It might slow things down, I can imagine CO thinking, oh they are going back on 27th of next month, I have plenty of time to finalise this application:SLEEP:)?

tough question that. really wouldnt know which way to take that one.

I honestly don't think that CO's think that way. I would send all that information so that your CO might spend that extra 5 minutes to check with whatever department that is delaying your app and maybe give you some kind of useful info. Good luck.

I honestly don't think that CO's think that way.

That was bit of frustrated joke on COs. Even I agree they have nothing to do my itinerary and must be working their usual way (If only I knew what's happening with my file though).

Hey guys news news!!

You know how if you are in oz and do medicals, you are sent a closed envelop by medibank with sticker not to open and present this to immigration (though we never sent and even immigration told us to throw it in bin). So we received mine such report about two months back in first week of may. However my OH envelop from medibank just arrived dated 04/07/2012. So I'm happily thinking this might be the reason to hold back the decision. May be OH's medicals were referred and they didn't want to tell us. He does have abnormal lung but it works better than the normal and we were told by the clinic where we did our medicals that Doctor had given it all-clear sign. But may be immigration wasn't sure and they might have referred it.

Omg I'm getting excited again. Is it reason enough to feel positive again for 'the big grant'?

Hey guys news news!!

You know how if you are in oz and do medicals, you are sent a closed envelop by medibank with sticker not to open and present this to immigration (though we never sent and even immigration told us to throw it in bin). So we received mine such report about two months back in first week of may. However my OH envelop from medibank just arrived dated 04/07/2012. So I'm happily thinking this might be the reason to hold back the decision. May be OH's medicals were referred and they didn't want to tell us. He does have abnormal lung but it works better than the normal and we were told by the clinic where we did our medicals that Doctor had given it all-clear sign. But may be immigration wasn't sure and they might have referred it.

Omg I'm getting excited again. Is it reason enough to feel positive again for 'the big grant'?

Yes that may be what they meant by the checks. But just curious, wouldn't you have seen on your online status page if OH's medicals were referred?

Yes that may be what they meant by the checks. But just curious, wouldn't you have seen on your online status page if OH's medicals were referred?

Well, our online status never changed but once when everything went from requested to received. No more activity there since:dull:

Well, our online status never changed but once when everything went from requested to received. No more activity there since:dull:

Medical Results are on the first page and should typically show received and if referred would show referred and then if met would say met. Do you see any changes in the medical checks section on your online application now

Medical Results are on the first page and should typically show received and if referred would show referred and then if met would say met. Do you see any changes in the medical checks section on your online application now

Nope. As I said even when operator from DIAC told me on 10/05/2012 that our medicals were finalised, the status remained the same-requested. It never changed, none of the document's status changed. But I'm assuming this medical might be the reason 'coz husband's reports are received just today.:daydreaming:

Nope. As I said even when operator from DIAC told me on 10/05/2012 that our medicals were finalised, the status remained the same-requested. It never changed, none of the document's status changed. But I'm assuming this medical might be the reason 'coz husband's reports are received just today.:daydreaming:

Right the fingers crossed and hoping for the best!

Guest sangeeth

Any idea about course fees for PR holders in Australia (Fees same as locals or International)?

fingers crossed for you Nishi. its frustrating when they never change the status either, i remember that one all too well!

so we've been just south of perth for a week now. got a car - a landcruiser. plenty of room for us all in there! the beaches here in rockingham are beautiful despite the oil refinery very closeby. went up north yesterday to the dog friendly beach up there (just north of trigg), beach was not very nice and thats probably why they allowed dogs on it. got slobbered on by 4 different dogs in about 5 mins (i was sitting on the sand with my little girl), not so down with that - one of the dogs just about pashed me!!! my hubby is finding it hard to get a cheap 2nd hand guitar. getting used to the gumtree as oppose to ebay is weird, i prefer bidding!

weather has been pretty good until today with the rain.

still waiting on the tax file numbers but got our first mail today yay! we have contents and car insurance, the ball is rolling with centrelink and family assistance. i waited nearly half an hour to speak to them today as one of their requirements is proof my kids are immunised. they both are but it never dawned on me i'd need to show this to anyone (they're not due for their next ones for a few years), their books are on the boat that still is in nz... so i called to ask about this and i don't need to show this proof until the end of the 2013 tax year. phew. so once the tfn's are here we have everything they need so hopefully can get a few dollars each week.

not sure if i said before but our dogs are here. so happy about that. my retriever is looking great if a little fat (we keep both our dogs very trim and fit), my kelpie is showing signs of stress as he's loosing clumps of hair. he'll be fine now he's home.

we have also registered with medicare. my first experience of rudeness in oz. as my family are all on nz passports she more or less told me i wasn't entitled to anything because i'm from uk. i kept telling her we had applied for and been granted PR but she was insistent I did not make the criteria. I think she thought I was on the temporary visa that you can get if you are married to a kiwi (whereby you are an alien for your whole life in aus). I had a copy of the visa grant so once i showed her that she agreed to let us see somebody who could help. that lady was not rude. if only she had said: please could i see proof of your pr eh...i have a feeling this will not be the last time i experience this sort of thing.

hubby still job hunting. quite slow paced here. you need so much to register with the agency. police check back already, he has to do a working with kids check even though he is unlikely to be working with kids... still the ball is rolling. anyone got their heater going right now? chilly eh!

fingers crossed for you Nishi. its frustrating when they never change the status either, i remember that one all too well!

so we've been just south of perth for a week now. got a car - a landcruiser. plenty of room for us all in there! the beaches here in rockingham are beautiful despite the oil refinery very closeby. went up north yesterday to the dog friendly beach up there (just north of trigg), beach was not very nice and thats probably why they allowed dogs on it. got slobbered on by 4 different dogs in about 5 mins (i was sitting on the sand with my little girl), not so down with that - one of the dogs just about pashed me!!! my hubby is finding it hard to get a cheap 2nd hand guitar. getting used to the gumtree as oppose to ebay is weird, i prefer bidding!

still waiting on the tax file numbers but got our first mail today yay! we have contents and car insurance, the ball is rolling with centrelink and family assistance. i waited nearly half an hour to speak to them today as one of their requirements is proof my kids are immunised. they both are but it never dawned on me i'd need to show this to anyone (they're not due for their next ones for a few years), their books are on the boat that still is in nz... so i called to ask about this and i don't need to show this proof until the end of the 2013 tax year. phew. so once the tfn's are here we have everything they need so hopefully can get a few dollars each week.

not sure if i said before but our dogs are here. so happy about that. my retriever is looking great if a little fat (we keep both our dogs very trim and fit), my kelpie is showing signs of stress as he's loosing clumps of hair. he'll be fine now he's home.

we have also registered with medicare. my first experience of rudeness in oz. as my family are all on nz passports she more or less told me i wasn't entitled to anything because i'm from uk. i kept telling her we had applied for and been granted PR but she was insistent I did not make the criteria. I think she thought I was on the temporary visa that you can get if you are married to a kiwi (whereby you are an alien for your whole life in aus). I had a copy of the visa grant so once i showed her that she agreed to let us see somebody who could help. that lady was not rude. if only she had said: please could i see proof of your pr eh...i have a feeling this will not be the last time i experience this sort of thing.

hubby still job hunting. quite slow paced here. you need so much to register with the agency. police check back already, he has to do a working with kids check even though he is unlikely to be working with kids... still the ball is rolling. anyone got their heater going right now? chilly eh!

All the best with your hubby's job hunting. :) By the way, how much was the landcruiser?

Any idea about course fees for PR holders in Australia (Fees same as locals or International)?

Tafe courses are significantly cheaper. University courses not very different as compared to International students. I enrolled for a full time Diploma program at Central TAFE today.six month program costs 756 AUD as compared to 5650 AUD for International students

I also applied for a Post graduate certificate program at Murdoch the cost there for international students was 11000 AUD whereas for domestic students its was close to 8000 AUD

So it depends on what program and where you want to do it.

Sounds like you had fun. If you have time you should take your kids to the Perth Zoo. We went there today and it was fun! theres a ferry ride from Perth to South Perth to get to the zoo and that adds to the fun.

Tafe courses are significantly cheaper. University courses not very different as compared to International students. I enrolled for a full time Diploma program at Central TAFE today.six month program costs 756 AUD as compared to 5650 AUD for International students

I also applied for a Post graduate certificate program at Murdoch the cost there for international students was 11000 AUD whereas for domestic students its was close to 8000 AUD

So it depends on what program and where you want to do it.

Hi pradiprn,

Quick question: Does doing a TAFE course help, especially considering that you have a a degree? Is it also true that TAFE courses can be done in some kind of concentrated-mode where it takes 1 or 2 full weeks instead of several classes spread throughout a semester?

I was looking at some Jobs and was amazed that most trade qualified people get paid much more than Engineers. So, I am thinking why not expand my skill set to include some minor trade qualifications as well. Don't know if that makes any sense.

Hi pradiprn,

Quick question: Does doing a TAFE course help, especially considering that you have a a degree? Is it also true that TAFE courses can be done in some kind of concentrated-mode where it takes 1 or 2 full weeks instead of several classes spread throughout a semester?

I was looking at some Jobs and was amazed that most trade qualified people get paid much more than Engineers. So, I am thinking why not expand my skill set to include some minor trade qualifications as well. Don't know if that makes any sense.

In my case the idea is to pick up relevant local practices and skills and also have in a way ' Australian' qualification. From that view point TAFE helps. The course I am doing is in a concentrated mode. It is supposed to be a on year course which is being completed in five months. I think I was also given credit based on experience so don't have to do two subjects.so it is possible to do it in concentrated mode. I know certificate IV course in training which will be done in 7 days flat

As for trades they do seem to earn more but it depends on your experience in trade and connections. I don't think there is any harm in picking up a trade qualification. But I am no expert :)

Archived