176 visa lodged March 2012

Guest jamesandstephcole

Woohooo! what an offer! Way to go...

As for visa update, received an email from CO on Tuesday saying "your application is still being processed. No further document required at this stage". God knows what's happening with it :(

Hi Nishi,

Sorry to hear that. Your app is probably just waiting for the CO to take a look again. Hope you got your onshore visa thing sorted and don't have to leave before your 176 comes through. Good luck.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to hear about your excess luggage troubles. I traveled with Emirates quite a bit and I rate them as Top-tier.

I think, if you book through ILO then you'll be eligible for double baggage allowance - haven't done it myself as I've a bunch of options with dirt cheap prices from Singapore.

You may also like to consider freight - may end up being a bit cheaper than the ridiculous per-kg prices that airlines quote. You should look for shipping companies that cater to International students moving to Australia.

Sadly I have always had experiences ranging from indifferent to bad with Emirates. the fun part in all this that my father in law works with Emirates! I was trying consciously not to use him to get things done but finally had to get him to intervene. So have got additional allowances. will still need to buy some more excess but I am hoping we can do that when we get to the airport without hassles

Looked at sea freight early on. It was working out to be expensive since we did not have a lot of stuff to move. Its just clothes books and a few appliances like a food processor et al. In the price that they quoted for sea freight we could very well buy most of them in Australia. Did not look at ILO option given that I have no option but to go via Dubai.

first of all congrats for getting the grant..

Looking at your timeline, what is "Vetassess Points test advice requested and Lodged 8th May 2012".. what is this points test advice and why you had to request this points test advice.

:biggrin:

Software Engineer - 261313

Granted!!!!!!

176 Visa (Victoria) Lodged on 27 March 2012

CO 17 April 2012

Meds 25 April 2012

Meds Finalized 7th May 2012

Vetassess Points test advice requested and Lodged 8th May 2012

Vetassess positive on 11th June 2012

Visa Granted 12th June 2012

:biggrin:

the fun part in all this that my father in law works with Emirates! I was trying consciously not to use him to get things done but finally had to get him to intervene. So have got additional allowances.

Glad it worked out. I am sure you know this but even if you are willing to pay for excess baggage - there is an upper limit as to how much more you can buy.

Looking at your timeline, what is "Vetassess Points test advice requested and Lodged 8th May 2012".. what is this points test advice and why you had to request this points test advice.

Hi fabregas, long time no see.

How's your app going?

The points test letter is optional and it says that "your work experience is relevant to your nominated occupation and that you can be considered for the work experience points". Of course, DIAC has the final say on that matter. Cheers.

Glad it worked out. I am sure you know this but even if you are willing to pay for excess baggage - there is an upper limit as to how much more you can buy.

Yes have that view now after having had a one hour conversation with Customer service that went nowhere. While my quota is done the missus can still get some on her ticket. we are counting on that

my case is going through External character checks :(..

As for points test advice, if it is optional then why sangeeth had to submit it after completing the medical.

Hi fabregas, long time no see.

How's your app going?

The points test letter is optional and it says that "your work experience is relevant to your nominated occupation and that you can be considered for the work experience points". Of course, DIAC has the final say on that matter. Cheers.

When has it ever?!

Yeah, when he was offering me that bonus - I was thinking "Where the hell was this last year when my performance bonus was paltry at best ..." - Managers, eh?

In any case, now I can add an extra month or two to my backpacking trip :biggrin:

Guest sangeeth

Hii Thanks..

CO said that if I want to claim 10 points for my ACS skills assessment I have to get points test advice from Vetassess for the qualifications I had.

MCTS ASP.net 3.5

BCS Diploma in IT

Yeah, when he was offering me that bonus - I was thinking "Where the hell was this last year when my performance bonus was paltry at best ..." - Managers, eh?

In any case, now I can add an extra month or two to my backpacking trip :biggrin:

Lucky you man! How I wish I could do a backpacking trip! but us poor sods have no bonuses to speak of :tongue: so have to go seek work and earn the moneys to dream about backpacking. :biggrin:

Any tips for moving to Melbourne ?? I'm feeling bit nervous..

have you decided on when you will move to Australia? job hunt et al can start in earnest once you are in Australia. look at seek.com.au to get a feel of jobs available in Melbourne in your field and get your resume ready.

The other thing you can do is to get the bank account opened.

theres a lot of information available on melbourne

you can also c heck this thread for links to useful info

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/152580-emigrating-check-these-great-links-out.html

That's fantastic. I love the idea of travelling around. been to Oz a lot but still seen very little of the country so far. Nice to have the financial freedom to take it all in. Well done !!

Millie x

On the other hand my boss was not nearly so flexible. I can tell she has no kids. She suggested I stay on longer so that someone new can shadow me for longer to 'facilitate a smooth transition of deputy heads' and that i send my son (age 15) off to Oz two months ahead of me to start school at the start of the Oz academic year. She suggested he stay with my sister for a few months. Erm, let me think about that.............NO? :shocked:

Millie x

That is some boss you have!

On the other hand my boss was not nearly so flexible. I can tell she has no kids. She suggested I stay on longer so that someone new can shadow me for longer to 'facilitate a smooth transition of deputy heads' and that i send my son (age 15) off to Oz two months ahead of me to start school at the start of the Oz academic year. She suggested he stay with my sister for a few months. Erm, let me think about that.............NO? :shocked:

Millie x

What the frack? Who put her in-charge of a school ... scary!

Just came back from doing my meds. Everything seemed fine. Went to a separate place to get the x-rays done and those seemed fine too. When I got home just now, I got a call from the doc's office saying that I need to come in for another x-ray because the one I got was too blurry or something! What the...? Argh!!

Just came back from doing my meds. Everything seemed fine. Went to a separate place to get the x-rays done and those seemed fine too. When I got home just now, I got a call from the doc's office saying that I need to come in for another x-ray because the one I got was too blurry or something! What the...? Argh!!

That's not good. Hopefully they can fit you in quickly.

Aaah, the things one has to put up with to pursue the OZ dream ...

Hope they sort it out soon.

And the first leg f my journey to Australia has started. Landed in Dubai earlier in the day. Had a bit of running around on account of th excess baggage but all bags and all items and most importantly all concerned people managed to make it. In ten days I will be starting the second leg. Till then It is shopping and meeting friends and family in dubai!

Guest Barham

I am just pulling together the info I need for a 176 application for Adelaide. Got my Vetassess done and about to take IELTS - have you got any advice on the process and things I need to do to make the process as smooth as possible?

I am just pulling together the info I need for a 176 application for Adelaide. Got my Vetassess done and about to take IELTS - have you got any advice on the process and things I need to do to make the process as smooth as possible?

I think it will be a little late now to look at 176. The new skillselect system takes effect in 15 days. under the skillselect system 176 will be replaced with sub class 190.

the skill select also changes the process completely. you will now need to send an expression of interest and you can only apply if DIAC invites you to

you can read about the new system in this sticky

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/144944-skillselect-new-visa-subclasses-announced.html

I am jealous of all of our March gang members who are headed/heading out to OZ soon. Feel like that kid who is picked last to play ...

You guys have fun and don't forget to report back.

The best field report will get - wait for it - a star :biggrin:

Archived