IELTS Exam 18 February 2012

aidanofl

Guest Gavhippy

I am sooooooo happy got my ielts results from 18/2/12 L8.5, R8,W8.5,S9 bring it on was so worried about reading as I need all 8's for visa as age is against me, wool,wooo, good luck to everyone, first time also, booked another just incase £150 up in smoke hah well chuffed as chuffness goes:biggrin:

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well done to everyone who have passed today... good luck to the rest of us still waiting, we need all 8`s for the xtra points like paul and louisa age is definatly against us!!! i dreampt my husband only scored a five in the speaking!!! i was like WHAT THE...... LOL

CONGRATULATIONS ADE... your very welcome for all the help. Such a stressful time. So happy for you and ur family :-) keep in touch and let us know how it goes. We must meet up before we both move down under xxx

Passed , SS here i come I have some books if anybody on here wants them ,drop me your email in a pm & i'll forward them on .BIG BIG thankyou to sporty & her other half you've been a great help and thanks to heather law for the books .thankyou... thankyou..... thankyou & once again I thankyou

CONGRATULATIONS ADE... your very welcome for all the help. Such a stressful time. So happy for you and ur family :-) keep in touch and let us know how it goes. We must meet up before we both move down under xxx

Yeh great ,sounds good ,good luck with the house sorting

Hi Sporty

WELL done to you and your hubby -'celebration dance'-I see you have got your visa through so just wanted to add how pleased I am and also to thank you for the help you gave me earlier on in my first panic stage of cvs and the like!!.

I know you were also short on time but you did it and by your march deadline too- fantastic to see

Best wishes to you both

Just got my results through the letter box.....................L9 - R8 - W8.5 - S9!

Absolutely chuffed is an understatement!!!!

Good luck to everyone waiting and congratulations to all that have passed!

Wow great scores well done... Seems everyone on this last test got 8s or over.. Whats the secret?? OH is doing his in a few weeks even got him a tutor to get those 8s we need..

Guest ahbdesign

Hi all! i'm a newbie here! I got my results yesterday - L9, R8.5, S8.5, W7 (general)

I was so disappointed as I did online and classroom courses, and went through a lot of preparation for the writing module.

The last time I did it with minimal preparation, I got 7.5, so it's highly unlikely (plus I'm a 100% sure that my score is wrong) that my writing was only worth a band 7.0

I am considering repeating the test, and am thinking whether I should do IELTS Academic because that is probably more suited to native english speakers.

Anyone here has got their test re-marked and gone up by a band? This is because I need a minimum of band 8.0 in each module!

I also just got my IELTS result this morning through normal post! Though my husband's results are not in yet which is strange as he took the same exam from the same center!

I did the Academic module and scored S - 9, R - 8.5, W - 8, L - 9, Overall band 8.5! :) Well chuffed! So happy! Hope my husband will get good results too! :)

Wow great scores well done... Seems everyone on this last test got 8s or over.. Whats the secret?? OH is doing his in a few weeks even got him a tutor to get those 8s we need..

Thanks Kimsdu.

I think the secret is having a clear mind and be positive.

Good luck to your OH with his tests!

If you PM me your email address I could send you the book I have.

I also just got my IELTS result this morning through normal post! Though my husband's results are not in yet which is strange as he took the same exam from the same center!

I did the Academic module and scored S - 9, R - 8.5, W - 8, L - 9, Overall band 8.5! :) Well chuffed! So happy! Hope my husband will get good results too! :)

Well done Sephie, great scores.

Hurry up postman, I'm going mad with anticipation!

Guest Tooch

Just go my results....

L: 9

R: 9

W: 7 = :mad:

S: 9

I feel really deflated, thinking about applying for a remark on the writing as I need the magic 8's

Well done Sephie, great scores.

Hurry up postman, I'm going mad with anticipation!

Thanks so much thebokke! I really hope you get a great score too! I was driven mad with anticipation since Thursday night! I only now feel sorry for my husband as his results aren't here yet...!

The results are in... Postman just delivered ours, my fiancé and I did the academic paper

I got L:9 R:8 W:9 and S:9, overall 9!!!

Fiancé got L:9 R:9 W:8.5 and S:8.5, overall 9!!!

Saying we're really pleased is an understatement! State sponsorship here we come...!!:biggrin:

Well done to everyone who got their results it seems like most of you you done fantastic. Anybody share any tips I need 8s for extra points I have already done the academic ielts and although I got enough for my skills assessment it only gave me 10 extra points and I need 20. I used some of the websites recommened by members of this site and they were helpful however I think maybe a book might be helpful any advice on the best book to help aim for 8s in the general ielts. Congrats again x

Well done to everyone who got their results it seems like most of you you done fantastic. Anybody share any tips I need 8s for extra points I have already done the academic ielts and although I got enough for my skills assessment it only gave me 10 extra points and I need 20. I used some of the websites recommened by members of this site and they were helpful however I think maybe a book might be helpful any advice on the best book to help aim for 8s in the general ielts. Congrats again x

My OH failed the writing by 0.5 on his first exam. He would write at least one letter and an essay each day and if he had more time at the weekends he would write as much as he could. I would read them and check for mistakes and spellings etc. After a while he found that he was confident in writing them concisely and quickly and managed to score all 9's, he needed all 8's.

My recommendation would be to just keep practising. Good Luck.

Congratulations to everyone who has passed.

The results are in... Postman just delivered ours, my fiancé and I did the academic paper

I got L:9 R:8 W:9 and S:9, overall 9!!!

Fiancé got L:9 R:9 W:8.5 and S:8.5, overall 9!!!

Saying we're really pleased is an understatement! State sponsorship here we come...!!:biggrin:

Fantastic score!! :) Good luck on your SS!

Ryso, my tip would be just practice as well... I did at least 5-6 different mock papers for the reading part and I did some online exercises as well. I would definitely recommend just an hour or so a day of practicing and you'll find that it'll be beneficial! Good luck!

Some amazing scores. Just opened the big brown envelope and although my OH has done really well Speaking 9.00, Listening 8.00, writing 8.5 the reading was only a 6.5 so I have just paid to confirm his place in Leeds in April!

Do you know though I am so proud of his scores, he thought the examiner was really tough that he had for his speaking section as he didn't get anything back from him but said he didn't let it put him off at all so it just goes to show. The wait has been the killer though I have to say and thats from someone who didn't sit it!

I think it is just practice practice and more.... for the reading, I was going to see about a day course if a resit was necessary but with the scores that he got I think the all 8's are within his reach. He used the ielts 7 book this time so I will get the ielts 8 book this time unless anyone can suggest any other??

Congratulations all who are now putting in their SS forms good luck and hope you all get a quick reply....

Sat it in Glasgow hadn't studied, but had been doing a lot of academic reading. Bit down need 8 in all the parts. So, for L8.5, R6.5, W7 S9. Should I book one for next week or give myself a few weeks? Either, or I will have to travel to England, bit of a pain.

Guest Gavhippy

I would sit it next week and practice with all stuff online for free from old ielts site and new one loads of examples, just write 3-4 250 word essays and practice reading examples, their a real pain but I struggled on reading and just practised true false jobby, and wrote few essays and you will be fine, courses are filling up fast so get in quickly, good luck

My advice is just to practice loads, really try and do at least an hour a day practice. Be careful not to practice one section alone as in fairness they're all a bit tricky, apart from the speaking which is straightforward for native English speakers.

There's a number of good free resources online and lots of practice examples. The key is knowing what they're assessing and how they score you particularly in the writing. You need to use paragraphs and structure them for your argument, not overly difficult but it just needs lost of practice.

I personally found the reading the toughest as you have tendency to try and read and understand everything which isn't necessary, if you can skim the paragraphs and only read the relevant sections that should help with limited time, not something I mastered though. We opted for the academic paper because you are allowed a couple more mistakes to get a higher score, although the text is more difficult to understand.

Well done everyone who got the results they were after and best of luck to those who didn't, you'll get there!

Congratulations to those who got the scores they wanted, some amazing scores...I took the test 18/02 in Rugby, score L 9 R 8 W 7.5 S 9 Overall 8.5.

I checked and AACA require minimum 6.5 however hoping to get state sponsorship so not to sure if W 7.5 will effect things too much?

Waiting for my skills assessment (applied first week in Jan 12) to come through soon and then will look for an agent to help with the rest of the process. Good luck to everyone yet to take the IELTS :)

Just a general comment for anyone doing the Academic IELTS.

When I was doing test papers, I tried out both the Academic and General Training versions. Personally, I found General Training easier, even though with a very strong academic background.

Plus General Training has the advantage of having test dates immediately available in London.

Archived