IELTS Exam 18 February 2012

aidanofl

Hey all those of you who did their IELTS exam today on 18 February.

How did it go??????

I found the reading the hardest due to time restrictions.

Anyone remember the questions/answers?//?

Just thought I d start a discussion for all of us in the same boat with the same exam

Aidan

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just have to vent here, sorry everyone. I thought the exam went fine EXCEPT for the the speaking part. For some questions I simply did not have anything smart to say because I couldn't come up with a memory or experience. I found it particularly unnerving that the interviewer was very formal and just sat there emotionless staring at me, looking like I was the biggest idiot he has ever seen :(

Hi

I sat the test today and I thought it was okay, but I will make further judgement when I get the results. Did anyone else get the essay topic about the destruction of historic buildings. There was not much background information but sometimes that is a good thing because you can develop your ideas further.

I hope everyone gets the results they want.

:cute:

Hi, sat it today for my 2nd time in Dublin. Have to say i thought it was way harder then the one i did last October.

Listening was ok, a few bits were a bit muffled, reading was harder , maybe thats just me , i hate the true / false q's and that crazy question in the last section that asked which of the following statements

were in the text about procrastination!!!! Think by that stage i was rushing to write anything down.

Essay about the historical buildings being destructed to make way for new houses !!!! not that general , had a bit of a waffle about that.. lol!!

Speaking was about safety procedures in public buildings and what i like to do at weekends, not too bad..

Needed to get an 8 in all so dont think that will be happening :( will wait and see though .

My fiancé and I sat the academic paper in Cambridge today, most of the paper was OK but I totally ran out of time on the reading! Suspect I'll be re-sitting as I'm not sure I'll have made the 8 in that section. it didn't help that the candidate next to me was reading all of the questions out loud! It made it quite hard to concentrate, made me want to slap him!

Essay was on kids freedom and whether we believed they had too much or not. Fingers crossed I really don't want to have to resit this bloody test!!!

We found the invigilators really condescending to most of the foreign students! How any of them pass I have no idea, this test is a nightmare even to native english speakers.

My hubby did the general test in bristol, didn't manage to do 250 words so prob a fail there!!, he reakons the practice books were much easier than the real thing, the reading was quite intence, the chat fine, oh well 2 weeks and then apying again ;)

Vetassess paid for today, plodding on regarless!!

I sat the Academic Exam today with my husband this morning in the Netherlands, and it was pretty ok! I'm hoping for an 8 so I hope I have done enough to get the score!

In our speaking tests, I had the topic of "what have I handmade myself" and my husband had "tell me about an advertisement on tv". He's hopeful for a 7 but again, we shall see! At least this is all done and out of the way... for now! :)

I did the academic test in wollongong, Australia.

Listening was ok.

writing i got a Q about whether technology was too complex and should not be used.

Reading was time restricted. My topics were about fertilising flowers, a new ice age and coding peoples behaviour. Anyone else have these?

Not sure if i would have made an 8, think you only need 30 for a 7 but 35 for an 8 so we ll see

I did the academic test in wollongong, Australia.

Listening was ok.

writing i got a Q about whether technology was too complex and should not be used.

Reading was time restricted. My topics were about fertilising flowers, a new ice age and coding peoples behaviour. Anyone else have these?

Not sure if i would have made an 8, think you only need 30 for a 7 but 35 for an 8 so we ll see

your writing topics sound similar to the writing i did in January which was about the importance of technology and whether it is important to people these days.

Your reading paper sounds hard with passages with them topics to answer questions on but then again they always give not so interesting with tongue twisters to

answer questions on....

am writing agiain in April and am ****ting myself already :-(

yep it is actually quite stressful. THink i know the technique for writing now anyways, its not even about giving intelligent ideas, its just the way you write the essay.

Results in 13 days, what a long wait

pliz share the techniques for for writting it might help...i went into the exam with no technique at all and got score 6, so i might learn one or two things and improve my score :-)

what i always try and do is

Intro - start with describing about the topic in hand and what the question means (without copying the question). Then make clear what your opinion is. this will show the way your essay will be constructed. Also mention the main points you will discuss (briefly)

For each paragraph: give the topic of the paragraph in the first sentence. Next sentence should be an expansion on this topic. Then an example. paragraps dont have to be long they just need a clear topic which is expanded in a logical matter. It is more important to be clear and have good structure than what you actually write.

Conclusion: Re iterate your point and leave a final comment which will keep the reader intrigued. eg. in mine i wrote as my final sentence 'As a final thought, imagine the world without any technology and the effect this would have on our daily lives'

Overall you just need good paragraphs in a logical matter as your English will be pretty good anyways. And always remember to answer all parts of the Question.

what i always try and do is

Intro - start with describing about the topic in hand and what the question means (without copying the question). Then make clear what your opinion is. this will show the way your essay will be constructed. Also mention the main points you will discuss (briefly)

For each paragraph: give the topic of the paragraph in the first sentence. Next sentence should be an expansion on this topic. Then an example. paragraps dont have to be long they just need a clear topic which is expanded in a logical matter. It is more important to be clear and have good structure than what you actually write.

Conclusion: Re iterate your point and leave a final comment which will keep the reader intrigued. eg. in mine i wrote as my final sentence 'As a final thought, imagine the world without any technology and the effect this would have on our daily lives'

Overall you just need good paragraphs in a logical matter as your English will be pretty good anyways. And always remember to answer all parts of the Question.

thank you for this, am always getting lost on the structure of my essays so this is short and straight to the point and will make a not and remember... i tend to waffle a lot too lol

Thanx once again.

Our topics for reading were about Australian sheep, Futurology and chlorophyll and the reason why trees go red in autumn! I admit the Futurology one was a toughie!!

We must have had the same paper Sephie, thought it was OK but the futurology section was pretty confusing to say the least. I hope we've all done better than expected!

Good luck everyone!!!

Archived