Beds ~ Take or buy in Australia?

cartertucker

We are doing a bit of both.

Our bed was a wedding present and cost a fair whack. We'd not be able to buy the same in Aus for sure (over £1000 here) and so cost wise it makes total sense to ship it, frame and mattress. Also the bedding for it as its a UK king size.

Our guest room double is an Ikea mattress and frame. We won't take that as the cost of shipping it is almost the same as it costs to buy new give or take £50. Hardly worth it. So will sell it here.

Our son's bed, atm, unsure. If we buy him a new cabin bed in the next year then we'll take it. If not, then nope, will leave it behind and buy there as again, to ship will cost about the same as to replace with an Ikea or some such cabin bed.

End of the day, we have a number of things that are very good quality and worth shipping. So we will. To replace like for like in Aus would cost us an arm and a leg, so shipping them makes sense.

W did both, brought our double bed and daughters bed (sons was built in so couldn't bring that), bought my sons here then also ordered new bedroom furniture for us (and moved the old bed into the spare). Our furniture took several weeks to make and be delivered, so thankful we had the old bed.

Guest GoldCoastMag

We shipped but were able to stay with rellies, so didnt have to buy. If it had meant sleeping on blowups or the floor, I definitely would have planned to buy here.

As it was the bed base was slightly damaged and we did replace it anyway.

So if you have accommodation with beds available, the wait for shipping will be viable, if you have to rent fully furnished the extra costs need to be taken into account.

Hope it helps

Most bed sizes are only a couple of cm out, so fitted/flat sheets (and pillowcases) should fit fine in most cases.

UK Standard single 36" x 75", also sold as 90 cm by 190 cm.

OZ Single 92 cm × 188 cm (36 in × 74 in)

UK Standard double 54" x 75", also sold as 135 cm by 190 cm

OZ Double 138 cm × 188 cm (54 in × 74 in)

UK King 60" x 78", also sold as 150 cm by 200 cm

OZ Queen 153 cm × 203 cm (60 in × 80 in)

UK Super King 72" x 78", also sold as 180 cm by 200 cm

OZ King 183 cm × 203 cm (72 in × 80 in)

Duvet sizes are different though, so if you're bringing your own duvets, bring their covers too.

New bed matresses are so expensive , we brought one bed with us as it was a part of a suite , there are really good deals here .. but like i said the matress cost WOW .. you can pick up a really nice suite though .

Depends if your paying for shipping and you can fill it why not ?

Guest VickyMel

Yep our new mattress - eeeck - bedroom suite did a deal...

We are bringing a bed as well but our removals got delayed (maybe we will see them again soon??) and the thought of a blow up bed for more than a week or so was not great.

Unless your shipment is going to arrive the same time as you, you'll have to buy something anyway. For that reason, we decided just to buy new and don't regret it.

As usual, don't be misled by the listed prices. When you buy a bed and mattress at the same time there are deals to be done.

Ikea mattresses are cheaper - and apparently have been well rated by Choice :)

We didn't particularly like our beds, and hated our mattress - so they were all given away or thrown in the dump nd we'll be buying new.

I'd buy new in Oz, but look around for a good deal and don't forget to bargain!!

Guest guest17301

We brought our bed, basically because we'd paid a lot for it and loved it. Didnt bring the kids beds and picked up cheap Ikea mattresses when we arrived, bought a 2nd hand bed for the guest room which we used to sleep on till our shipping arrived (which was actually only a week as we stayed in fully furnished for 6 weeks) There are other options like buying a sofa bed which can then go into a guest room or a kids room....The basic rule of thumb is if its quality and/or you love it ship it....if its easily replaceable/low in value/past its best dont.

Most bed sizes are only a couple of cm out, so fitted/flat sheets (and pillowcases) should fit fine in most cases.

UK Standard single 36" x 75", also sold as 90 cm by 190 cm.

OZ Single 92 cm × 188 cm (36 in × 74 in)

UK Standard double 54" x 75", also sold as 135 cm by 190 cm

OZ Double 138 cm × 188 cm (54 in × 74 in)

UK King 60" x 78", also sold as 150 cm by 200 cm

OZ Queen 153 cm × 203 cm (60 in × 80 in)

UK Super King 72" x 78", also sold as 180 cm by 200 cm

OZ King 183 cm × 203 cm (72 in × 80 in)

Duvet sizes are different though, so if you're bringing your own duvets, bring their covers too.

Excellent ~ Thankyou so very much :notworthy:

Guest guest17301
Ok, so if we take our super-king Uk mattress (not bed frame) Will we be able to get a frame to fit? :unsure::confused::unsure:

Why dont you ship both then you dont have to worry about it...you are funny kelly you worry about all the little details...I was exactly the same, lol:yes: The one thing I do find expensive here is bedding so my advice bring it all especially if youre shipping your UK size bed

Why dont you ship both then you dont have to worry about it...you are funny kelly you worry about all the little details...I was exactly the same, lol:yes: The one thing I do find expensive here is bedding so my advice bring it all especially if youre shipping your UK size bed

I tend to over think everything & then wonder why I get tension headaches! :wacko:

We dont have a frame for the mattress, so would need to buy a new one anyway :spinny:

Hi,

We shipped one UK bed (our main one) which ended up as our main bed in Oz. However, as our furniture was delayed in shipment we also bought a cheap bed over in Oz which ended up in another bedroom.

Before we left the UK we bought a memory foam matress - best thing we ever did as its so comfy - and they cost a fortune in Oz.

We bought our bed frame and mattress,our eldest daughters bed and mattress and also our youngest daughters cot. We then bought a spare bed and a bed for our youngest here once she had outgrown the cot.

The only problem we have had is with our mattress. We have had some mould growing on the bottom of it, which we cannot find an explanation for. The rooms aren't damp, there is no mould anywhere else, just on the bottom of that one mattress. I am starting to think that maybe it got damp in the container and has never fully dried inside? The other mattress we brought with us is in perfect condition. It was a lovely mattress, firm with padding top and bottom, but we are going to have to try and replace it. We have looked around but the mattresses here seem far more squishy/less firm than I like.

Guest Beth101

We brought ours with us, but went to Ikea when we arrived and bought new to sleep in until our container arrived. Once ours arrived we moved the Ikea ones into the spare room for when guests come to stay.

Archived