Do you have to clear UK debts?

gaznem

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest31881

Its not a requirement of any migration department. But it is good practice, however if you want to continue paying them off when In Australia that is perfectly acceptable.

Just remember if you have any loans and tell them your emigrating the lender has the right to recall the loan immediately. We are simply going to pay our loan off each month however I do know some people who have just left and not paid but that is a moral issue I suppose. Not for me but everyone to their own.

Counting down the days!

Guest guest37336
Its not a requirement of any migration department. But it is good practice, however if you want to continue paying them off when In Australia that is perfectly acceptable.

A matter of 'conscience' I guess, and I am no one to talk.:no:

But agree with Colin, if you can still pay them back whilst in Australia I would take this route, you never know, you 'may' come back and then one hell of a mess could ensue.:no:

Cheers Tony.

You can carry on paying your debts from abroad. I guess you save up on the bank charges to transfer your monthly installment if you pay off the debt before you leave. I've been paying my UK loan off from abroad and will in 5 months be done with it and be debt-free.

A slightly different perspective on this...

I told my bank I was leaving on a certain date--then had to delay the departure for about six months. However, because I'd advised them they refused to issue me a new credit card when the old one expired.

I had no intentions of trying to leave any debts (and indeed did not leave any) but I recommend being careful with what and when you tell your bank. Even if you're being entirely honourable, they can cause you problems.

Guest SandandDirt

People all feel different about this, at the end of the day its down to you and if you can afford to pay the debt before you leave or not.

Dont stress about it as you can still pay monthly from over here and there is no set rule or requirement that you must be debt free.

...........................I wouldnt run away from debts though, pay it off when you can.:cool:

is it true that any dedt gets written off after 7 yrs ...?

A debt is unenforcable after six years of no contact from you, This is know as statute barred

However for County Court judgements normal the clock starts running after the date on the county court judgement

However after & during the 6 years if you make any payment towards the debt or admit to it then you are liable for it

There are different rules for bankkruptsy & IVA I think

Guest NeilanGemz

Dependant on the amount of debt mate, I would just set up a payment plan (offering small amounts to each creditor and requesting that they stop all intrest, creditors will accept as they would prefer to get the money back than have to write it off) and just continue to pay while your in oz. Either that or you could declare yourself bankrupt before you go. Depends on whether you are intending to come back or not. ;-)

No Tony. they can still contact you after 7 years and if people go back to the UK owing money and apply for a loan the *** hits the fan...make arrangements to pay off what you owe, it is a criminal offence not to pay back money that is not yours.

It is not your money how can people actually think of doing this.

quote...

In many cases; it is dishonest and fraudulent, if you did it fraudulently you could be convicted.

If you intended leaving the country anyway there are easy legal alternatives such as making a repayment agreement before you leave or doing a DMP or bankruptcy. Data regarding your UK bankruptcy does not typically follow you to the new country and does not usually affect your credit situation in your new country.

Your creditors will try to track you down and, if successful, will send you hassling letters and call you.

If a country has a reciprocal agreement with the country you are moving to, you are more vulnerable. For example, if you already have a CCJ and you move to a European Union country you could be pursued

The debt can be sold to a debt collection company in the country you are moving to and they will then pursue you for the debt, (they can be very aggressive though their powers depend on local laws and can be very limited)

As soon as you return to the UK and your credit file is activated again, agencies will attempt to collect the debt again.

If you leave the debt to live abroad for more than three years you can no longer avail of the bankruptcy solution.

No Tony. they can still contact you after 7 years and if people go back to the UK owing money and apply for a loan the *** hits the fan...make arrangements to pay off what you owe, it is a criminal offence not to pay back money that is not yours.

It is not your money :eek: how can people actually think of doing this.

Its not "criminal" tho is it to be fair?the only debts that can "legally" be chased in oz are gvnmt related and student loans etc isnt it?

As financial people on here have said before..." they could trace you to oz,but for civil debt theres no agreements between oz and uk" is there..

Its not "criminal" tho is it to be fair?the only debts that can "legally" be chased in oz are gvnmt related and student loans etc isnt it?

As financial people on here have said before..." they could trace you to oz,but for civil debt theres no agreements between oz and uk" is there..

Well if you owe some bloke 10k for a car you have bought off him and are paying it back monthly and you do a bunk, I would call that criminal. How would you feel Pablo if someone owed you 10k and vanished.

Guest guest37336
Well if you owe some bloke 10k for a car you have bought off him and are paying it back monthly and you do a bunk, I would call that criminal. How would you feel Pablo if someone owed you 10k and vanished.

If we are talking banks though PB, I better not comment.:no:

See repossession, no sympathy, get out now, feck off, and all because two payments were missed through a relatives illness.

Banks and the like will bleed you dry if not careful. I fully agree that money owing to 'people' would indeed play on my conscience, and I wouldn't do such a thing, but mention 'institutions' and my 'take' on the situation may be a bit different.:yes:

Cheers Tony.

If we are talking banks though PB, I better not comment.:no:

See repossession, no sympathy, get out now, feck off, and all because two payments were missed through a relatives illness.

Banks and the like will bleed you dry if not careful. I fully agree that money owing to 'people' would indeed play on my conscience, and I wouldn't do such a thing, but mention 'institutions' and my 'take' on the situation may be a bit different.:yes:

Cheers Tony.

Who pays in the end though when people do a bunk....yep....the ordinary bloke on the street, these banks just pass all losses on to the poor blokes like you and me one way or the other.

Also what happens when and if you return to the UK?

Running from things is the easy option, but like the others have said they do catch up with you and by then it far worse than the original problem,

Guest guest30085

Its not a criminal offence to leave debts behind - unless you obtained the finance fraudulently.

There is no reciprocal agreement between the UK and Oz, unless it is monies owed to the UK govt.

Yes, your debts can be passed on to collection agents but all they can do harass/chase you, but it is not enforceable in the courts in Oz.

If you do not acknowledge or pay towards your debts, after 6 years they become statute barred.

Whether it is ethical/honourable to leave debts behind is up to the individual's conscience, each to their own, its a personal decision, whether right or wrong :wideeyed:

Its not a criminal offence to leave debts behind - unless you obtained the finance fraudulently.

There is no reciprocal agreement between the UK and Oz, unless it is monies owed to the UK govt.

Yes, your debts can be passed on to collection agents but all they can do harass/chase you, but it is not enforceable in the courts in Oz.

If you do not acknowledge or pay towards your debts, after 6 years they become statute barred.

Whether it is ethical/honourable to leave debts behind is up to the individual's conscience, each to their own, its a personal decision, whether right or wrong :wideeyed:

Well it is certainty not right is it .

Guest guest37336
Who pays in the end though when people do a bunk....yep....the ordinary bloke on the street, these banks just pass all losses on to the poor blokes like you and me one way or the other.

I agree PB though, but personal experience has left a sour taste is all. Fortunately I paid off all the outstanding mortgage and now debt free with the banks.

But many people are left high and at at times, though a LOT have got themselves into the situation there are a lot out there who through no fault of their own have fallen foul of the 'system'.

NOT saying it is right, but at time circumstances make you act in a way that with a 'normal' mindset you wouldn't dream of.

Cheers Tony.

Guest guest30085
Well it is certainty not right is it .

Maybe not, but its not criminal

Unless obtained fraudulently . . . . . . .:shocked:

Good advice from citizens advice.

It may seem appealing to move abroad to escape UK debts, the person in debt can run but they can't always hide. Creditors have been known to stop chasing those they can't find, however moving abroad doesn't always mean they can't find the debtor. Creditors use the following tactics to trace debtors, talking to neighbours at their debtor's last known address and tracing their activity through using cash. In some cases creditors have relations with other credit companies in that country, making it easier for them to find you. Once the creditor knows which country you are in, they can trace you relatively quickly and start pursuing you for the debt. So it may seem a good idea to move abroad and leave your debts behind, but the creditors can and probably will find you and demand the debt is repaid.

You should ideally establish a repayment agreement with the creditors before leaving the UK. There are many options to clear your debt, even if you no longer live in the UK, for example bankruptcy, IVAs or DMPs. Payplan can offer advice on all UK debts even if you no longer live in the country, however if you are abroad you should make it a priority to make a payment agreement with your creditors. If you fail to make a payment agreement your new life in a new county could be affected as your credit rating may result in you being unable to get jobs or a simple bank account.