Anxiety and near panic attack

kellyjamie

Morning all,

thought i would post this see if anyone is feeling like this or felt like this. We only have 13 weeks till we leave and im pretty sure my "incident" last night is down to stress?

Ever since my son went to live at his dads i have began suffereing from anxiety. Its horrific, i thought i had begun to get a grip of it. When it initially started my GP was fantastic she immediately knew what it was and was really great, she did however give me tablets and im not a medication type person, i believe in sorting my own mental health as i am generally very strong mentally, or i thought i was. Anxiety is awful you take the smallest issue or worry and turn into something massive, i find myself excessively worried if someone is late, sometimes i get so worked up about the smallest problem i can feel myself kind of shake like the start of a panic attack and i have to just slap myself, this honestly all satrted with the problems with my son.

Anyhow ive never had a panic attack but last night jamie was working till 4am and i hate that, im a scaredy cat and dont like going to bed on my own knowing hes not here but im usually ok with it, anyhows goes to bed and uneasily falls asleep, wakes up an hour later at ten to midnight and checked my phone, i had no reply from jamie to a text i had sent b4 i went to sleep, so i ridiculously started to worry so i gave him a quick ring but no answer, not unusual as he usually calls back but he didnt, over the next 30 min i called him 6 times and no reply so there it started the panic set in, i very quickly found myself thinking the worst what if hed been in a crash, or someone attacked him ( a taxi driver was beaten horrifically 2 weeks ago) i started to feel very sick, light headed and a feeling of not being myself like i was removed?? my breathing started to excelerate but i knew i was being ridiculous but it was also getting harder so i called his office and asked her to radio him to call him, and 2 min later he called, all fine, unable to understand why i was acting in that manner.

After the reassuring call he was ok, i calmed down but it turned into crying, i got up washed my face took a couple of paracetemol and went to bed.

My mum suffered form panic attacks for about 5-6 years in her late 30s and i read this morning they think they can be hereditary?? Does anyone know much about these and how i can deal wit this as if that was the start of a panic attack i would seriously not want to experience a full on one.

I need to find a way if dealing with this anxiety, i just keep telling myself it will be better once we move and i can relax a little? I didnt want Jamie to accept the job in Esperance but the idea of a year or so in a small place with beautiful beaches away from it all is becoming very appealing:unsure:

Guest GoldCoastMag

This is an awful thing to suffer. When I started having them I really thought I was going to have a heart attack, my heart was pounding and racing, I felt as if I was either going to run or collapse.

Apparently the adrenalin makes your blood pressure rise so you can run, but then when the danger doesnt materialise it doesnt normalise as it should. Even though you dont like the meds, perhaps during this stressful time you can either use them sparingly or talk to your dr again.

I was once told it was hormally related as well. but who knows. All I know is you need a cyber hug and reassurance that you are not the only one.

Take care of you :hug:

Guest The Pom Queen

Hun you have a hell of a lot going on at the moment, I think the visa process and the move must be the most stressful thing ever. See how you go once you get here. When my kids or hubby is away I panic and worry like anything you wouldn't be normal if you didn't :hug:

hey kelly ...firstly i must say i fully empathise with ur situation ....and secondly ...if u have been given medication ...then please do take them before a full blown panic attack happens ......i suffered my first one about 11 yrs ago ...it was totally out of the blue ...and i too felt as if i was having a heart attack ...unfortunately i brushed it of like urself and before i knew it other problems started to arise ...i got to the stage where i couldnt go out my front door ...and even having people to visit terrified the life out of me .....i took me several visits to the docs and several types of tablets to stabilise it all .....im not ashamed to say 11 yrs on ...i still take medication ....mainly because there is no way in hell im going back to where i was ......so please please ...go back to docs and and see what they can do for u .....i also found that confiding in close friends and family helped a lot so they can offer support when needed .....it may simply be down to the stress with the visa etc ...but best to get on top of it before it takes a hold .....:hug:

mrs keily

sorry to hear of your anxiety attack. I have suffered too in the past and i will tell you 'nobody ever dies of a panic attack' which may enter your mind when having one. You need to try too sit up straight and take some deep breaths for a few minutes. Also try to get someone to agree to talk to you day or night on your mobile, that also is reassuring. If you read much then when you wake up in the night just try to read a bit of a book cause if you are reading properly you will concentrate on the book and not other things. Hope this makes sence as i do these things myself. good luck with everything.

Anxiety can be very nasty as I know from my own experiences. I have been taking Citalapram for a number of years now, first prescribed in UK by my GP there, and my Aussie GP's continue to prescribe it. But I also see a psychologist and do CBT.

You mentioned that your GP gave you some tablets? Well, some, like Valium for eg, are quick acting and should not usually be taken for long periods. Others, like the one I was prescribed, take a while - up to a few weeks sometimes, before they start to have an effect. So, if you are prescribed that kind you MUST keep taking them and, for that matter, you MUST NOT stop taking them abruptly.

Emigrating is right up there with the most stressful situations too - just moving house is bad enough and add on moving to a strange country........

Why not go back and see your GP as she sounds like she is understanding.

Guest Phillips family

Hi my lovely

I too suffer with anxiety and 6 years ago suffered with full blown panic attacks & ended up in hospital cos my sis with with me in the car & I conviced myself I was dying so she rang for an ambulance despite her telling me "Trudy calm down you are having a panic attack"!! I have always suffered with this I always think the worst specially health related things i.e had an abnormal smear well I thought I had blinking cervical cancer! When we had our meds mine was referred ...thought there was something awful wrong and did my husbands head in !! I have tried all the congnitive behaviour therapy but you forget it after a while. If you think you are going to have a panic attack try and blow into a paper bag or cup your hands over your mouth and take some deep breaths. Also take some deep breaths from your abdomen very slowley.

We too are flying out in about 13 weeks (12 jan) I am very stressed and not sleeping and had to take a sleeping pill last night !We are staying at my in-laws for 3 months so its not easy. Anyway you are not alone my lovely - please feel free to message me if you are feeling a bit down/anxious etc. take care

Trudy x

Guest TipsyKoala

Don't put yourself through it- get the meds and see how you feel 6months down the line in Aussie, you may feel better again.

in my personal experience anxiety and panic attacks cause you to stop living a full life, avoiding situations that cause stress, anxiety etc.

Enjoy your adventures and good luck xxx

Morning all,

When it initially started my GP was fantastic she immediately knew what it was and was really great, she did however give me tablets and im not a medication type person, i believe in sorting my own mental health as i am generally very strong mentally, or i thought i was.

I just wanted to pick up on this point.

If you broke your arm, would you think your bones 'strong enough' to mend themselves properly without the aid of a plaster cast? If you got meningitis would you think yourself 'strong enough' to get well without antibiotics? If you got cancer, would you think yourself 'strong enough' to go into remission without chemo and radiotherapy?

Then why would a mental health issue be any different?

Sorry if that comes across as nasty - it so isn't meant to, indeed its meant to challenge common thinking that mental health is seen as somehow being 'weak', that through the power of thought alone and a stiff British upper lip we can 'cure' what is an illness, just like the common cold (although granted mental health illnesses aren't catching the way a sneeze is!).

There is so much stigma attached to mental health issues, believe me I am not one of the fluffy bunny brigade (you only have to read a couple of my boarding on rude posts to know that lol), but it just saddens me that we are still beating ourselves up (as in humans) if we get ill mentally - precisely the time you do not need to be beating yourself up.

When even those that are ill with mental health issues do not allow themselves to believe they are ill, the stigma attached to it will not pass, which is a great shame as whilst it is not always as obvious as a broken bone it can be more debilitating than other illnesses.

Medication can be like the plaster cast for your brain, continued therapy of some sort (be it mediation, CBT, counselling, and/or continued medication alongside anything else) the physiotherapy you take to get the arm back in tip top shape.

As others have said, your doctor sounds understanding and helpful, let them help you and do not be ashamed or afraid to tell them anything, even if you think it makes you sound silly, if they are to help they need to know everything. They will not think you are putting anything on either - my brother is a head doctor and is says it is very easy to spot the difference between his patients that actually need help and those that are just trying to claim benefits and other assistance off the social.

As flippant as it sounds, chin up - worse things happen at sea, everything for a reason and other terrible clichés (but they are clichés for a reason!) And go get a big hug off Jamie :hug:

I just wanted to pick up on this point.

If you broke your arm, would you think your bones 'strong enough' to mend themselves properly without the aid of a plaster cast? If you got meningitis would you think yourself 'strong enough' to get well without antibiotics? If you got cancer, would you think yourself 'strong enough' to go into remission without chemo and radiotherapy?

Then why would a mental health issue be any different?

Sorry if that comes across as nasty - it so isn't meant to, indeed its meant to challenge common thinking that mental health is seen as somehow being 'weak', that through the power of thought alone and a stiff British upper lip we can 'cure' what is an illness, just like the common cold (although granted mental health illnesses aren't catching the way a sneeze is!).

There is so much stigma attached to mental health issues, believe me I am not one of the fluffy bunny brigade (you only have to read a couple of my boarding on rude posts to know that lol), but it just saddens me that we are still beating ourselves up (as in humans) if we get ill mentally - precisely the time you do not need to be beating yourself up.

When even those that are ill with mental health issues do not allow themselves to believe they are ill, the stigma attached to it will not pass, which is a great shame as whilst it is not always as obvious as a broken bone it can be more debilitating than other illnesses.

Medication can be like the plaster cast for your brain, continued therapy of some sort (be it mediation, CBT, counselling, and/or continued medication alongside anything else) the physiotherapy you take to get the arm back in tip top shape.

As others have said, your doctor sounds understanding and helpful, let them help you and do not be ashamed or afraid to tell them anything, even if you think it makes you sound silly, if they are to help they need to know everything. They will not think you are putting anything on either - my brother is a head doctor and is says it is very easy to spot the difference between his patients that actually need help and those that are just trying to claim benefits and other assistance off the social.

As flippant as it sounds, chin up - worse things happen at sea, everything for a reason and other terrible clichés (but they are clichés for a reason!) And go get a big hug off Jamie :hug:

I think I read just recently that, although one in ten Aussies (or higher?) will suffer from mental illness of some form, most would not tell their employers for fear they would be discriminated against (ie. sacked!)

I'd probably tell any prospective employer that I am taking a statin but not an anti-depressant!

Guest guest59652

I'll be honest anxiety and mental problems are not cured by the proclaimed sense their will be nice beeches and sunlight. It is a major problem and there will be a lot of stress produced when the move does happen. Get yourself checked and perhaps see a councillor for coping strategies. I have been before and it did help in the short term and has given me things to work on in the future. Everybody has the potential to suffer this sort of thing, simply keeping a lid on it and saying it will be ok is not the way to look at it. You will have to work at it and not be afraid to keep asking for help. It is a disease that we cannot see and should be respected as such - it is no worse than a recurrent painful skin condition that we can physically see etc.

I fully empathize, having a panic attack is no joke and it must be dealt with it promptly otherwise it'll take your life over.

I had one massive panic attack a while back, still lived in the Uk, was driving on the M25, I had to pull over and my brother-in-law had to come and get me and drive me home, I had blurred vision and shaking so much, there is no way I could have carried on driving and I remember it almost completely put me off driving because I was scared that it will happen again.

I was anxious for a while after that, but with the right help I got better and never had a panic attack since.

All I can suggest is that you see your GP to get medication and perhaps to get referred to a counsellor who can help with changing your mindset and suggesting coping mechanisms.

I also strongly suggest to get on top of it as soon as possible, because emigrating and starting a new life in a new country is very stressful and you need to be as "strong" as possible.

Hope you feel better soon :hug:

my husband had one when i was 36 weeks pregnant, and we both thought it was a heart attack and he had anotehr when I went into labour all very scary (wasnt told about the second till after bub was born). He has been ok so far a few sleepless nights caused by the move etc I am worried that he doesn't have another as we flying out in a month!

Hope you are ok?

Salma - Please don't wait til your on your way to the airport. Get your husband to see his doctor and get some pills to see him through the flight. Your doctor should be able to prescribe something e.g Diazepam to help him relax for the journey. He won't prescribe many as they are supposed to be addictive. All it will do is keep him relaxed for the journey. They do not make you drowsy. Good luck.

Salma - Please don't wait til your on your way to the airport. Get your husband to see his doctor and get some pills to see him through the flight. Your doctor should be able to prescribe something e.g Diazepam to help him relax for the journey. He won't prescribe many as they are supposed to be addictive. All it will do is keep him relaxed for the journey. They do not make you drowsy. Good luck.

he is going back home and he had his anxiety a few weeks back so all will b fine but will speak to him re going to dr.

thanks

Hi Kate and all,

Im better today hun thankyou:hug:

ive made an appointment with my GP in 2 weeks to go back for a chat see what she says. I definately feel better, altho i was totally shattered sunday and monday it just took it right of me, early night tonight.

I think we have so much going on just now, we are still trying to get the house rented out, i think once thats sorted i will feel a weight lifted as its really preying on my mind. I hate feeling like that as im honestly such an upbeat happy go luck always joking type of person, so when i get like that it feels like it floors me, and as i said ive never had it to that extent, so i agree time to see the doc,

thankyou again for the kind words and help and advice xx:wubclub:

Hi Kate and all,

ive made an appointment with my GP in 2 weeks to go back for a chat see what she says. I definately feel better, altho i was totally shattered sunday and monday it just took it right of me, early night tonight.

I think we have so much going on just now, we are still trying to get the house rented out, i think once thats sorted i will feel a weight lifted as its really preying on my mind. I hate feeling like that as im honestly such an upbeat happy go luck always joking type of person, so when i get like that it feels like it floors me, and as i said ive never had it to that extent, so i agree time to see the doc,

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better - I've felt like I'm almost reading my own stories in your posts, except you've been far more sensible than me I think.

I don't think I've slept properly for weeks, but yesterday I paid the last big bill (i hope) and slept through the night. :SLEEP:Today I'm actually feeling excited instead of overwhelmed - you will get there too! :)

Just don't forget to make sure you have 'YOU' time as well as looking after everyone else :)

Guest littlesarah

Hi Kelly

Fortunately, I've never suffered a panic attack, but I do know that some of the symptoms can be caused by hyperventilating (breathing very quickly), and breathing into a paper bag can help with the feelings of lightheadeness.

I do sometimes feel quite anxious and stressed, and use a deep breathing technique that involves breathing in deeply (making the abdomen rise, rather than the chest), before breathing out slowly, so that the out breath is longer than the in breath. A technique I came across is 'alternate nostril breathing', which I find really soothing and calming. I also like to chant (usually silently, in my head), as I find the repetition of a comforting phrase combined with deep breathing very relaxing.

I'm sure things will get better as you get through all the things on your 'leaving list' - moving to the other side of the world is pretty flippin' stressful!

Best wishes

Sarah

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Kate and all,

Kelly I am glad to hear that, BUT, don't be too hard on yourself, it's a tough thing this migration lark, I think we all should receive free counselling from DIAC lol x

Guest juliemtaylor

thats a good one Kate, maybe ask Ms Gillard..

Kelly, deep breaths keep focusing on the good dreams.

Julie x

It's hard isn't it? I had my first anxiety attacks a few years ago when too much was happening - dad died, I was taking redundancy and moving to Scotland. The first one was horrendous - I was out shopping alone and my legs kind of stopped working, I got sweaty and my heart was racing. It was absolutely throwing down with rain but I just sat on a bench getting soaked because I couldn't move. I phoned my boyfriend who was hundreds of miles away (I was in Liverpool, he in Paisley) and managed to walk home very slowly as talking got my mind off things a little. I had a few more milder attacks which disappeared later that year as I settled in my new home and job.

With less than 3 weeks until we move to Brisbane, it's back. I had an attack at the weekend in Berlin - sweats, heart racing, legs giving way. I insisted we go back to the hotel, but my husband said we should keep to the plan to go to the zoo. He was right - it distracted me and by the time we left I was back to normal.

My GP back in Liverpool didn't want to go the meds route and gave me some self-help info. I can't take certain meds like beta blockers anyway due to thyroid issues, but will see how things pan out and may do a last minute GP visit if I wobble badly again!

Archived