100 reasons why not to move to Australia

hia

My view on the cost of OZ:

The only reason why its expensive to new comers is the interest rate making their currency expensive in comparison. It will come down as the chinease arent buying Ozzy minerals as much and the whole country is propped up by this. In time the ozzy economy which has hit its peak will come down it has too as their minerals will be too expensive to buy and will inevitably make the economy shift downwards anyway. The Gove will do this before with interest rates so that demand will increase and keep things good but that will still mean it Will be a little cheaper to live.

However once you earn $$$ it doesnt matter anyway does it. Just dont sell up and spank everything on houses etc soon as you move there and wait till it evens out a little.

A few years ago Europe and the states were doing great and you could buy a big house for peanuts in Oz so its all swings and roundabouts........

Just like the flood of eastern europeans coming to the UK. A lot of them go home as its expensive and hard to get the standard of living they had in their own countries. Itjust takes time o build a life and wealth.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest59177
I call Bull***t . Have been staying in good ole US of A for the past 15 years, and have never heard crap like this. Your "friend" obviously has no clue what he/ she is talking about..

For the fencesitters, every country has pros and cons.

Some people move to another country to make a life out of it, integrate work through the good and the bad, while the others look to make money and get back where they think they would fit in better.

For all we know the OP / OP's sister / Brother etc etc could fit into the latter category.I have seen too many of those here, good for the economy, no value add for the society, but i guess it takes all kinds to make a great country

I suppose it would be off topic but still, just as a comparison with Australia (maybe it will be a good reason from amongst the 100??), how is the organic food scene in America? Is it easily accessible? Is the quality good? I would love to know about it.

People might go over for the money, but when they go over titled as permanent residents, the local populace expects them to not have their cake and eat it too. From a strictly legal perspective, as long as they don't break any laws they are OK. But the local population will expect them to contribute in more ways than paying taxes. It's just human nature. There could be an open ended debate on it...

Guest guest59177
Have I? I thought I was countering wildly inaccurate propaganda about Australia with carefully thought out and balanced arguments stating the facts.

I don't care if people make balanced criticism of Australia - let's start, say, with Sydney's appalling transport and roads or the incompetence of the ALP Government - pink batts, schools, carbon tax (sorry to sound like Alan Jones.)

I hate the thought of people planning to migrate here being put off by a few 'pyromaniacs!'

Hey that's a very good thing really. I just wanted to point out that BE shouldn't be lambasted for no reason - or maybe I should say 'since there is no new reason'???

Guest sh7t man no way
People I have gone through another forum in which people have been really against migrating to AUstralia because its one of the most expensive countries in the world.

Aftr reading that forum I have been very disturbed and depressed because of the cost of living in Aus.they say that the COL is way higher than in US or UK...Is it true?

They also say that on ur salary the tac is 30 to 40% ??? Oh my God!!!

Thats pissing me off...Please help me !!!

nice thread hia--certainly got people interested in many aspects of australia:wideeyed:theres a lot of usefull info come out of your thread

wow, this thread is still going! the groundhog thread lol

id liken some of it to poking a wasps nest with a stick!

i still wonder if its a troll with a mask, whenever we get close to stopping it, the perfect excuse comes out to drag the thread on a few more pages!

fun to read though i suppose, car crash internet at its best :) hehe

I suppose it would be off topic but still, just as a comparison with Australia (maybe it will be a good reason from amongst the 100??), how is the organic food scene in America? Is it easily accessible? Is the quality good? I would love to know about it.

People might go over for the money, but when they go over titled as permanent residents, the local populace expects them to not have their cake and eat it too. From a strictly legal perspective, as long as they don't break any laws they are OK. But the local population will expect them to contribute in more ways than paying taxes. It's just human nature. There could be an open ended debate on it...

Off Topic.Organic food availability is fantastic here-All major stores stock them(and there is one on every streetside), but you pay through your nose- 3X of regular atleast. The average American is not exactly a health freak :smile, so this is not exactly a fast mover..

That apart,the problem is see is that a lot of permanent visa applicants treat the process as a purely "work visa" process.Like i said earlier, this just means cash in and move out. These are the same groups who stay segregated into pockets of their own wherever they land up...

I just don't agree with that. Go in with an open mind and be prepared for the good and the bad,if not stick to home base is all i would say... End of rant.Sorry.

This is amazing thread :). Well I live in the US and I seriously don't consider US as heaven to live. I have been here for 10 years and I have been told that it will take another 10 years for me to get a PR. We pay around 23% in taxes roughly and the immigration while you are still on work visa is absolute disaster. Every country has its own charm and negatives. I can show you forums where people complain about the US but people do keep coming. I have decided to apply for the AUS PR because I am frustrated in having to wait for 20-25 years to just get a PR in a country. Just come to US and live on a work visa as a Asian national and go through the frustration and you will think living anywhere in the world will be much better. Finally the only thing people want is a decent quality of life and living for the hardwork they put in. I am sure that I will get that in Australia. That's all I care.

This is amazing thread :). Well I live in the US and I seriously don't consider US as heaven to live. I have been here for 10 years and I have been told that it will take another 10 years for me to get a PR. We pay around 23% in taxes roughly and the immigration while you are still on work visa is absolute disaster. Every country has its own charm and negatives. I can show you forums where people complain about the US but people do keep coming. I have decided to apply for the AUS PR because I am frustrated in having to wait for 20-25 years to just get a PR in a country. Just come to US and live on a work visa as a Asian national and go through the frustration and you will think living anywhere in the world will be much better. Finally the only thing people want is a decent quality of life and living for the hardwork they put in. I am sure that I will get that in Australia. That's all I care.

thanks for the useful input :)

Guest guest59177

You are right. The H1B is SERIOUSLY skewed in favor of employers. They literally rule you and you need to totally mind your Ps and Qs. Well that part is true wherever in the world you are and your fate rests on the decision of someone else, but in the US it means you get MUCH less than someone who is a citizen or green card holder. In Australia on the other hand, the law has been written to ensure that cheap overseas labor doesn't spoil the local market. Which is a win-win situation for all really.

Buddy, sorry to post off topic, but if it takes you 25 years to get a PR, then you better plant your boot strongly on the backside of the immigration attorney / firm/employer you are using to pursue the process. I obtained my GC in 6.5 years flat from the date of landing up.

I have never heard of a 25 year PR case.....

The US offers a very unbiased opportunities for skilled personnel and the sky is the limit, which is also the case for Australia.

A big advantage to the Ozzie process is the time taken to obtain a Permanent residency is super fast. You get from Zero to Visa within 12 months, which is probably the fastest globally(NZ or canada might vie for the top spot as well). Life changer in a year, is a good option to have.

People ought to be taking advantage of this while it lasts, rather than cribbing about the opportunity...

Some one mentioned that the other site members are haters thats the reason y they are just not wanting people to migrate to oz.

Wel, what if they are haters, then DIAC is a big corporation which can employee 100 people to speak sweet about them...can't they? May be some of them here are their people just to say everything good abt the country ..

Thats wht i am percieving after reading the threads.....

Some one mentioned that the other site members are haters thats the reason y they are just not wanting people to migrate to oz.

Wel, what if they are haters, then DIAC is a big corporation which can employee 100 people to speak sweet about them...can't they? May be some of them here are their people just to say everything good abt the country ..

No i dont think the DIAC are employing people to do that

i think the people that are you giving you good reports about australia are people who actually love it.

Has your sister found anymore good info

Do you really think that the Department of Immigration are a big conspiracy??

I reckon most of the people on the site complaining about OZ were from the UK.

Try urban dictionary

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Whinging%20Pom

So DIAC is paying all the people who have made a positive comment re Oz, you are obviously winding us up (why am i even commenting on this) but don't knock a place until you have tried it. Some of us will go and live there forever, for some it might not work out and will come back home or somewhere new. As many have said aus isnt for many and people do come back (mind you those are people tend to go from one first world country to another) .

Guest GoldCoastMag

I have lived in Australia for over 30 years now, and some migrants really have attitudes that do not enhance their chances of a successful migration. DIAC do not pay me, and in fact I would have never joined this forum except for help with applying for a spouse visa. I was too busy enjoying life.

If the perception about a new country is that it will be a negative experience then the reality may well live up to that!

I no longer have patience to wait under the bridge so will bow out of this conversation.

Guest Guest31881

:arghh::arghh::arghh: This site has 48,000 members, and you think they are paid by DIAC, Can you tell me how I can claim my cheque, I could do with the extra income.....

Sometime I just despair at peoples ideas.