100 reasons why not to move to Australia

hia

Just for an example look at this one:

Affordable city in Australia: 0

Housing cost in Australia: Complete joke

Grocery in Australia: Pay more and get less in quality and quantity

Life Style, Beach Culture: please pay $8.80 per hour for parking first to visit any beach

Education: Complete crap

Racism? Yes, everywhere

This is what I love about forums. Everyone has an opinion - and in this case even someone who doesn't live in Australia :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Hey kids this is why every post should be taken with a pinch of salt.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tosh105

1.It’s full of Australians. I know that might sound pretty trite, but I have always thought that Oz has always had two main things going for it; it’s where most of the Australians are, and it’s very far away from here. If, like me, you are instantly irritated by some spotty, Antipodean youth addressing you as “mate” and telling you that there are “no worries”, then it’s just pure madness to transport yourself to where there are millions of the buggers. And how long would it be before living in the hell of a Ramsay Street neighbourhood with all its matey chumminess drove you to look out the whisky and Webley and end the misery for ever? Forget it. Stay safe at home.

2. The weather is bloody awful. Now, looking out through streaming windows at the relentness greyness of the Scottish summer this might seem a bit far fetched, but take it from me, I’ve been there, twice. Long, parched, baking days without end may seem idyllic, but they bring their own kind of torture. Before long you’re longing for just a whiff of a breeze, or a smirr of rain, but no chance. Continuous sunshine is just so boring, and it translates into the population, who are endlessly boring about the weather (cf whiney Aussie pop group Crowded House etc). Give it two months and you’ll be dreaming fondly of East Kilbride’s horizontal rain, I promise you.

3. Crime. Now I don’t know if crime rates in Oz are any better or any worse than ours back here at home, but that’s not the point. At least in Scotland you know where the criminals are, and what places to avoid. But in Oz they are everywhere, because it’s deeply embedded in the genes. Not strictly Australia’s fault that it was the dumping ground for Britain’s criminal classes in times gone by, but there’s no escaping history I’m afraid. They’re everywhere, from the upmarket apartments on Sydney harbour to the remotest, dilapidated sheep station. You’re never safe. Is that what you want? No, of course it isn’t!

4. The Outback. Sometimes referred to as “the bush” by the natives, it’s where people apparently go “walkabout” ie wander around aimlessly with nothing particular to do. Anyway, forget any romantic notion you may be harbouring through an overdose of Crocodile Dundee. The Outback is basically an awful, desolate, waterless landscape full of SFA. Even a visitor from Lanarkshire would be depressed. Nobody in their right mind goes there so it’s full of winos, desperados and ne’er-do-wells. No different to Coatbridge, I hear you say, but think of the size of it. It’s vast. So, like the aforesaid Coatbridge, best avoided at all costs.

5. Poisonous flora and fauna. It’s a well recorded fact that Australia is teeming with plants and beasties that bite, sting, and generally are unpleasant – and that’s not counting the human varieties! It’s reckoned that most of the creatures on this planet that are fatal to human beings are concentrated in Ozzie land. You can’t go anywhere without fear of being stung, bitten, burrowed into or defecated on, all inevitably leading to a slow, painful and horrifying death. You can’t even go to the loo without some bandit red spider biting you on the bum. Still want to go there? I don’t think so.

6. Sport. The Aussies are only good at sports which nobody cares about. Swimming. What’s that all about? And they aren’t even good at that any more. Yes, they win at rugby occasionally, but only when the All Blacks let them. And rugby in Scotland is only played by a slack handful of inbred farming folk in the Borders whose everyday lives are so unedifyingly awful that they’re prepared to risk the rest of it in a wheelchair just to relieve the tedium. Cricket? A game for poofs. Aussie Rules football? I rest my case.

7. The sea. In case you hadn’t noticed, Oz-Land is surrounded by miles and miles of ocean. Aussie state propaganda perpetuates the myth of long, golden beaches and warm, inviting sea to bathe in. What they don’t mention, surprise, surprise, is the vast array of nasties lurking just below the surface ready to attack the unwary. If the jelly fish don’t get you the sharks will. Aussie beaches are the shark equivalent of Tesco’s, except without the variety. Surfers (now there’s a completely pointless exercise) regularly get great chunks chewed off them by these storm troopers of the deep, who can hardly believe their good luck at so much food presented to them on a plate. Well, a surf board, but same thing. Stay out of the water if you value your limbs, that’s what I say. Or, even better, don’t go at all!

8. Aussie men. Time was when Aussie men were lean, mean, fighting machines, the “shock troops of the Empire” as Rommel called them. Hard outdoor work and better nutrition than their Old Country colleagues set them apart. Well, that’s all gone now, sadly. Generations of standing supping weak lager round the barbie in stubbies and thongs (whatever they are) have done for them, and are we’re left with is a collection of overweight and flabby blokes who probably can’t make it to the end of the driveway without wheezing, let alone carve a living out of the unforgiving bush as their forefathers did. Hell, even the lifesavers on Bondi Beach look a bit lardy these days. Then there’s all that boorish mateiness you would have to endure. No thanks.

9. Aussie women. It gets worse. Imagine being surrounded by a sea of Kylie and Dannii Minogue clones, all speaking in that irritating manner where every sentence ends in a higher tone like a question. As in “we went to the movies last night?” Could you stand it? I didn’t think so. And you probably think that Dame Edna Everidge is a parody, don’t you? Well she’s not. Believe me, the streets of Melbourne and Perth (dammit, they can’t even make up their own place names) are swarming with Dame Ednas. On television, funny; in real life, not.

10. We’ve got it all here already. If none of the horrors previously described have put you off, ponder this. Most of them exist in Bonny Scotland too! Terrible weather, crime up there with the best of them, midgies and wasps and nettles (OK, not fatal, but you know what I mean), pitiful record at most sporting activities and a population which defies Darwin’s theories on evolution. But there’s more – we’re actually better than the Aussies at poverty, disease, diabolical eating habits, smoking and of course our main source of national pride, the drink. Why would anyone want to leave all this behind? Get down Sauchiehall Street in the wee small hours of a Sunday morning and remind yourselves just what a great wee country we live in.

You have probably surmised by now that I would rather eat my own dung than emigrate to Australia, but that’s not the case. I quite like Australians, actually, it’s just that I’ve never managed a whole one. But there are obviously lots of potential dung eaters out there in middle Scotland, pining for a better life Down Under. But don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Aye - the $8.80 keeps the scruffs away from our beaches :wink:

Cheap enough if it's the only bath they take?

Actually, I do resent paying to park at the beaches myself but can usually find free spots within just about walking distance. Clovelly is free, Maroubra has four hour free parking, Bronte I can get a free spot up the hill and Bondi has two hour free spots a few hundred metres back from the beach. The harbour beaches on the south side are all free too. It's the same I think on the Northern Beaches but as long as you are prepared to walk you can get one.

I seem to remember having to pay to park on just about every beach I went to in England anyway.

Just for an example look at this one:

Affordable city in Australia:

plenty of people can afford to live here, if they couldn't then no one would buy stuff like houses, cars, boats etc. It might be unaffordable for some but the majority can afford it alright.

Housing cost in Australia: Complete joke

Yeah it's expensive but to the majority of people living here it doesn't seem to really matter, but for those new to the country it's no different than someone moving from their mud hut or shanty dwelling in some crappy developing country to UK, Ireland, Germany, US etc.

Grocery in Australia: Pay more and get less in quality and quantity

hardly a deal breaker

Life Style, Beach Culture: please pay $8.80 per hour for parking first to visit any beach

Any beach? Says who?

I take the 4WD and park on the beach, wouldn't be too interested on going to a beach where I had to park the car and walk. Cost of nothing

J

Education: Complete crap

Define crap?

I would say more or less similar to UK and definitely still far better than most 2nd & 3rd world countries

Racism? Yes, everywhere

Never had a problem myself.

But obviously if it's existence bothers you then don't bother coming, I'm sure well we survive without you.

Cheap enough if it's the only bath they take?

Actually, I do resent paying to park at the beaches myself but can usually find free spots within just about walking distance. Clovelly is free, Maroubra has four hour free parking, Bronte I can get a free spot up the hill and Bondi has two hour free spots a few hundred metres back from the beach. The harbour beaches on the south side are all free too. It's the same I think on the Northern Beaches but as long as you are prepared to walk you can get one.

I seem to remember having to pay to park on just about every beach I went to in England anyway.

If I trip over my doormat I land on Coogee beach so shouldn't have the problem. But yeah imagine how much you would pay if London had a beach?

Guest guest37336
If I trip over my doormat I land on Coogee beach so shouldn't have the problem. But yeah imagine how much you would pay if London had a beach?

By chance a report on the news this morning said that a 2 inch Seahorse has been found in the Thames around the Richmond area, it has been 'concluded' that there may be a resident population of them breeding in the river.:idea:

Won't be long before:

tropical-beach.jpg

:biglaugh::biglaugh::no::no:

plenty of people can afford to live here, if they couldn't then no one would buy stuff like houses, cars, boats etc. It might be unaffordable for some but the majority can afford it alright.

Yeah it's expensive but to the majority of people living here it doesn't seem to really matter, but for those new to the country it's no different than someone moving from their mud hut or shanty dwelling in some crappy developing country to UK, Ireland, Germany, US etc.

hardly a deal breaker

Any beach? Says who?

I take the 4WD and park on the beach, wouldn't be too interested on going to a beach where I had to park the car and walk. Cost of nothing

Define crap?

I would say more or less similar to UK and definitely still far better than most 2nd & 3rd world countries

Never had a problem myself.

But obviously if it's existence bothers you then don't bother coming, I'm sure well we survive without you.

Perhaps for people living in those so-called 'developed countries' coming to OZ IS just liked moving from the Third World - they just can't take in all the (expensive) wonders we have to offer.

I spoke to a couple the other day out here on holiday from UK and they said 'it's SO dear here.'

I was half tempted to tell them that was to be expected coming from countries with 'third world' currencies like Sterling/rupees, dinars etc. but here in OZ we pay in Australian Dollars!

Guest guest59177

:err: London doesn't have a beach??? What do they call the banks of River Thames????

:biglaugh:

:err: London doesn't have a beach??? What do they call the banks of River Thames????

:biglaugh:

Paris has a beach on the Seine so why not London? Got a feeling they may have used it as a beach in times past? Did Ringo Starr (who?) film a scene from A Hard Days Night (what?) by The Thames? I must google that and find out!

Come to think of it, Southend, Clacton, Frinton (for the toffs?) are probably not much further from London than Sydney's beaches for people living 'way out west?'

Any beach? Says who?

Yes, that one really cracked me up. I've lived in Oz probably twice as long as the OP has lived on this earth and I've NEVER paid to park at a beach. (Mind you, I haven't been to a Sydney beach since the 1960s).

As the total coastline of Oz (including its islands) is nearly 60,000 km I had a chortle at the thought of parking meters at all the beaches. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Yes, that one really cracked me up. I've lived in Oz probably twice as long as the OP has lived on this earth and I've NEVER paid to park at a beach. (Mind you, I haven't been to a Sydney beach since the 1960s).

As the total coastline of Oz (including its islands) is nearly 60,000 km I had a chortle at the thought of parking meters at all the beaches. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

You have to pay to park at most Sydney beaches. Clovelly is completely free, no restrictions, hence all the backpackers parked up over Xmas. I hope they move them on this year too as there are no facilities for overnight campers. Nielsen Park, Watsons Bay, Parsley Bay are all free. Maroubra has free parking for four hours? I'm not sure about the Cronulla beaches????

It's much the same on the Northern Beaches??? Pay to park on the beach car parks but maybe not on the road a bit further away? Pittwater Road/Ocean St at Narrabeen for eg? I paid at Palm Beach & Bilgola. I guess it's the councils with their different rules?

Perhaps you don't have to pay at some of those isolated beaches but there are no lifesavers or facilities either?

Guest SupportPants

There are some fairly significant financial reasons why it's not advisable to move from Oz from the Uk in the current economic climate. Of course, if you've got PR and have to enter it can be a very tough decision but for many it looks best to wait as long as possible.

The exchange rate means selling a UK property and trying to use that equity to buy a house in Oz is just not going to happen without a massive downsize.

Oz has had a big inflationary period due the commodity boom so costs for everything are high - many in Oz buy everything other than food on the internet from the US or Europe! (annoying but soooo much cheaper). Alot of 457 employers (who have their immigrant's balls in a vice as its 28 days then home should they leave) are offering salaries way below what they are paying local Aussies.

The global economy is shaky to say the least - ie, there will be a lot of lay offs and mines closing at some stage in the future - alot of temporary residents could well be sent home....

It's a beautiful country imo but it has its own problems and isn't the easiest place for a Brit armed with weak sterling.

Go,make yer own mind up,simple as that,NEVER be influenced by others emotions/experiences,yours might be totally the opposite,be they good OR bad,gotta find out for yerself tho imo,obvious yes,but some ARE influenced by others opinions on here:no:

Guest guest59177

Hey hia!!! If you're still reading this, take a look here for 100 reasons to go to Australia:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-chat-dilemmas/128568-colored-tv-australia-yet.html

Goshhhhhhhhhh!! I'M LUVIN' IT ALREADY!!!!!! YEAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This will show you how modern Australia really is and how backward and ancient the rest of the world is. I mean, at least they've dunnies in Australia, for crying out loud!!!!!!!! A friend of mine told me that in America they just 'excuse' themselves to a side of the track and let go :elvis: :eek: :err: