Perth one week in.

ghost

Well after 4 years of talking about it, and two 18 months of applying we finally made it.

We arrived to howling winds and lots of rain, and despite a couple of nice days, it's been unusually cold. Typical as the uk is now experiencing some lovely weather. But you know what, I'm not bothered, because I know here in Australia , our summer is guaranteed.

We thought the first few weeks would be like a holiday, but we have been busy sorting out bank accounts and buying furniture.

There are so many furniture shops here, to suit all budgets, and do t forget to haggle, never take the price of things on the ticket. That's for anything you buy. Haven't payed full price for anyhig so far.

Similarly with cars, negotiate hard. I've just bought a brand new golf gti for mrs ghost, and it actually came out cheaper than in the uk, altho it has to be said cars seem to be more expensive, i found vw compared well for a European make.

Food shopping is slightly more expensive. Some things are noticeably more, I found Coles is the best overall. But look at places like big w and buy the big packs of things like washing powder and dishwasher tabs. Also stock up on spelcials. You can find huge differences in prices. I found woolworths expensive compared to Coles, and not such a nice store.

People are so friendly. They will always say hello, people will start conversations at the drop of a hat. We went I to a big DIY shop, and a lady overheard my wife say it was like b&q. A woman overheard and asked about us, then someone else joined in and we all stood talking for ages. Similarly if I go running 90% of people will say hello as they pass, I love it.

We have secured a house with a lovely ocean view in yanchep, it's quite far out, but I dont mind the drive, as we are only 2 mins walk from the beach,and the house is brand new. I actually applied for it, and got offered it whilst still in the uk, but I did offer a large rental deposit to get it.

Goodbyes were hard, and there were lots of them,but don't fret, I'm finding I have far more quality ,contact from so far away, we take time to speak and listen to each other, rather that brushed conversations.

I'm looking forward to the summer a d what life will bring.

Great post, love the first arrival posts and what peoples first impressions are. Are you settled in a job yet?

Sounds like you are into sport, with the mention of running. You've come to the right place for anything sporty. There are running, triathlon, surf lifesaving (recommended) and just about any other sort of club you could think of available. Check in your local paper and in the West Australian to see what's available in your area.

Yanchep is a fairly new development but I'm sure there will be plenty going on. If you see people out running and they look like they are in an organised group, stop and ask. Like you say, a lot of people are fairly new emigrants themselves and are keen to help out.

I know it's a bit wet and cold at the moment but it's unusual for this time of year. Don't worry it will be settled soon.

All the best.

Guest carlj3108
Well after 4 years of talking about it, and two 18 months of applying we finally made it.

We arrived to howling winds and lots of rain, and despite a couple of nice days, it's been unusually cold. Typical as the uk is now experiencing some lovely weather. But you know what, I'm not bothered, because I know here in Australia , our summer is guaranteed.

We thought the first few weeks would be like a holiday, but we have been busy sorting out bank accounts and buying furniture.

There are so many furniture shops here, to suit all budgets, and do t forget to haggle, never take the price of things on the ticket. That's for anything you buy. Haven't payed full price for anyhig so far.

Similarly with cars, negotiate hard. I've just bought a brand new golf gti for mrs ghost, and it actually came out cheaper than in the uk, altho it has to be said cars seem to be more expensive, i found vw compared well for a European make.

Food shopping is slightly more expensive. Some things are noticeably more, I found Coles is the best overall. But look at places like big w and buy the big packs of things like washing powder and dishwasher tabs. Also stock up on spelcials. You can find huge differences in prices. I found woolworths expensive compared to Coles, and not such a nice store.

People are so friendly. They will always say hello, people will start conversations at the drop of a hat. We went I to a big DIY shop, and a lady overheard my wife say it was like b&q. A woman overheard and asked about us, then someone else joined in and we all stood talking for ages. Similarly if I go running 90% of people will say hello as they pass, I love it.

We have secured a house with a lovely ocean view in yanchep, it's quite far out, but I dont mind the drive, as we are only 2 mins walk from the beach,and the house is brand new. I actually applied for it, and got offered it whilst still in the uk, but I did offer a large rental deposit to get it.

Goodbyes were hard, and there were lots of them,but don't fret, I'm finding I have far more quality ,contact from so far away, we take time to speak and listen to each other, rather that brushed conversations.

I'm looking forward to the summer a d what life will bring.

Great post and pleased to hear all is going well.

It's good to hear people are settling in and the first impressions are as hoped.

We are 8 weeks away from our move to Perth and it's getting very exciting - coupled with the nerves.

Guest bakercrew

Thanks for info it is really helpful, which garage do you go to and what co did you use for your rental. We are due to fly over beg on Nov and have my leaving party soon, I think it is finally hitting people that we are very serious and we are def going now. We are just so excited and cant wait, just sorting out the last house sale bits and we are off.

Hi Ghost

Would you recommend Yanchep? And how far out of Perth is it? We are looking for as much space, house wise, as possible so are willing to move some distance away from Perth since OH is on FIFO. Any info on schools, shopping etc...?

Thanks

I really like Yanchep. The distance out does mKe it cheaper, we've managed to a house with a seaview for not much more than it would be inland further south.

All depends where you work really, and if you mind the commute.

There's. Big shopping centre about 15 mins drive, and a new shopping centre going up in Yanchep at the moment .

We haven't moved In yet so will be able to comment better in a few weeks.

thats a great post

hope everything keeps working out for you all

a few q's

do you recommend me taking my furniture e.g sofa n dining table ??

bought from ikea so not so special

or is it just not worth the shipping if its cheap there?

thanks

z

We shipped everything, depends on how good your stuff is. Fir me it was worth it , go round your house with. Calculator and add up what it all cost.

[quote name=bake

rcrew]Thanks for info it is really helpful, which garage do you go to and what co did you use for your rental. We are due to fly over beg on Nov and have my leaving party soon, I think it is finally hitting people that we are very serious and we are def going now. We are just so excited and cant wait, just sorting out the last house sale bits and we are off.

To be honest all the garages are helpful, keen to take you on test drives and really dont put you under any pressure to buy. Everything is "no worries"

We got our house on elite villas. Booked it for 4 weeks, wished we had only had 3 as we are keen to get into our next house.

Great post ~ Thankyou for taking the time to share :notworthy:

Hi Ghost

Really enjoyed your post..Great to hear your getting on so well and so soon. Only new to this

forum ... first post actually. We've just applied for state sponsorship with WA...also going on 163 business skills visa. What business did you put forward for your 163. Theres alot to take on board

with house kids and move etc, but sure we'll apply for visa and go from there.

Guest smorgs

Hi guys, good post glad you like it here.

Thought id try and give people thinking of doing the same a heads up.

Ive been here for nearly 6 yrs now- and one word to describe this place is EXPENSIVE. YOU need to work hard to make the money to be able to have a good lifestyle, the first couple yrs me and the missus where here house prices alone went up 45% in WA.

If you like a social life aswell forget it, I was paying $14 a PINT!!!! (nearly 10quid) on sunday for a pint of lager (brewed locally in fremantle). Im 31 and now drink at the local lawn bowls club(average age of 80) even still paying 9 bucks a pint.Food has gone through the roof aswell- we used to eat out 4 nights a week and for lunch but now we can only afford twice a week and the odd lunch.Take Tuscanninis in Applecross, i order an all day breakfast and juice and it comes to over $30!! I used to get a fry up for under 2 quid back home.

There is a lot of work here, I myself have a plumbing and construction business and I now work 6-7 days a week. I only worked 4-5 days and never weekends back in blighty.

Its a great place but dont think its all sunshine, fishing and surfing cause you do need to work here- hard.

Thanks

GOOD LUCK:biggrin:

Guest smorgs

Oh yeah DEFO bring your decent furniture- but I would leave the electrical goods behind( unless room in container) as they are not much more than England. JB HIFI is the place to go and ask for a deal.

Archived