"Haggling" - I'm intrigued.

popstar999

I've seen a few posts on here about "haggling" over prices for goods in shops. Here in UK, I'm sure we'd be laughed out of Curry's or Comet if we tried to negotiate a better price for a fridge or washing machine etc.

So, how does one go about haggling the price of white goods and the like? I thought the whole purpose of a shop, was so that when you went in and saw the price of something, that was the price you paid?? :wink: Maybe this haggling is a skill I need to learn asap!!

I'm delighted at this news, though, as we are going to have to buy a new frigdge, freezer, washing machine and some furniture when we arrive in WA in a couple months time.

Any tips on how much should/could be knocked off a price?? 10%? 20% more? If we buy a fridge and freezer from the same place, is there a chance they might throw in a free washing maching too?? LOL!! :biglaugh:

Any pointers welcomed - thanks!

Cx

I love haggling!even if im pretty flush at the time,i got all our meals and ale cheap in singapore,just thru haggling,i do it for the craic:biggrin:more than anything.

The more you buy from A shop the bigger the discount i'd imagine,and btw plenty DO haggle in the UK,i got 30% off a good leather jacket yrs ago on oxford st london,its just that we dont normally bother in the uk,unless its cars(me included btw)

Years ago when I worked in retail in the UK, You are quiet within your rights to Haggle for a price. The shop seller is saying on the price ticket 'This is what I am selling and I'd like this much for it' As a customer you are entitled to haggle for a different price. Unfortunately most shop managers and sales assistants plus customers are unaware of this rule and just generally pay the price advertised.

No legal precedent exists that means you have to take the ticketed price. You’re well within your rights to haggle down until the price is something acceptable to you.

this is a good link

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/how-to-haggle-successfully

If I'm after something that is out of stock, I'll ask for the next model up at the same price. But success depends on the store. If you are in a chain talking to the manager then you might get lucky. If you are in an independant store then you will have more luck.

Some people are better at it than others. You can always ask for something else to be thrown in free too.

It's common practice to price match too. I know there was a store in Perth - might still be there - that said if you saw it advertised cheaper a month after buying, they would refund twice the difference.

I've never managed to get much knocked off a new car. I tried a trick once. I went to a dealer and walked up to the car I wanted to buy, and told him I was leaving the country, I had one identical to the model I was standing next to, and asked what he would give me as a trade in. He offered me 4 grand less than the asking price of the car I was standing next too. I then told him that I would buy the car I was standing next to for 2 grand less than the asking price if I liked it after the test drive. The saleman just walked away.

I hate haggling but I do it after a fashion. I usually know ball park figures of what the item I am after is going for then (because I am lazy) I generally head off for Harvey Norman, smile sweetly and say "now what are you really going to sell it to me for?" and see how they stack up against the ball park. They usually get it about right and if you smile extra sweetly will whack on an extended warranty for you for the bigger items.

Guest siamsusie

I laughed when I first came here haggling in a lst world country! Now I haggle for everything whilst Mr Siam does a disappearing act.. saves you a fortune.

I've seen a few posts on here about "haggling" over prices for goods in shops. Here in UK, I'm sure we'd be laughed out of Curry's or Comet if we tried to negotiate a better price for a fridge or washing machine etc.

So, how does one go about haggling the price of white goods and the like? I thought the whole purpose of a shop, was so that when you went in and saw the price of something, that was the price you paid?? :wink: Maybe this haggling is a skill I need to learn asap!!

I'm delighted at this news, though, as we are going to have to buy a new frigdge, freezer, washing machine and some furniture when we arrive in WA in a couple months time.

Any tips on how much should/could be knocked off a price?? 10%? 20% more? If we buy a fridge and freezer from the same place, is there a chance they might throw in a free washing maching too?? LOL!! :biglaugh:

Any pointers welcomed - thanks!

Cx

i go on the internet find the cheapest price for the product print it out and off to retailer and ask will they match it ,they usually do

Guest cazbeckham

Once you are 60 and get a seniors discount card then you can get discount almost anywhere including KFC

I always ask if the ticket price is the best price they can offer and always they knock a few $ off.

In my opinion if you don't ask you don't get and they can always say NO but inevitably they say YES

Guest The Pom Queen
I laughed when I first came here haggling in a lst world country! Now I haggle for everything whilst Mr Siam does a disappearing act.. saves you a fortune.

PMSL this is exactly what Rob does, he walks off and leaves me haggling:yes: He doesn't complain when I get some good discounts though. I recently got a digital camera and got them down by over $500, then at Dick Smiths I was buying a few things together and at first they were only going to knock off $50, but I kept at them and got $450 knocked off which was the cost of the sat nav I was buying so I was well chuffed.:biggrin:

If you are buying a number of things together then they will be happy to give you a larger discount. Something I realised up here is that you can actually play one JB Hifi off against the other:v_SPIN:

Guest GeorgeD
Something I realised up here is that you can actually play one JB Hifi off against the other:v_SPIN:

Yup, quote a few of the high street names are actually franchises, so branches will indeed compete against each other. We did this with The Good Guys for our washing machine.

I must be rubbish at this haggling. I've walked away from 2 second hand cars at garages because they wouldn't shift on the price, in fact one garage started to put up the price, the longer I looked at the car!! I've walked away from Bob Janes for 4 4x4 tyres worth over $1200 to them as they wouldn't price match Kmart. Some places, I can't even get them to charge their advertised price when a I take a print out off their website!! Or they'll have no idea about that model at that price, but they do have one similar at twice the price. I thought I must have a "pay any price" look about me, but I even found a trailer on ebay recently at $1000 with make an offer, I was the only person to make an offer after 7 days and the seller replied saying they actually wanted more than the asking price!! I'd love to know how it's really done!!

Guest siamsusie
PMSL this is exactly what Rob does, he walks off and leaves me haggling:yes: He doesn't complain when I get some good discounts though. I recently got a digital camera and got them down by over $500, then at Dick Smiths I was buying a few things together and at first they were only going to knock off $50, but I kept at them and got $450 knocked off which was the cost of the sat nav I was buying so I was well chuffed.:biggrin:

If you are buying a number of things together then they will be happy to give you a larger discount. Something I realised up here is that you can actually play one JB Hifi off against the other:v_SPIN:

I love it, you are a true professional!:jiggy:.. I even haggle at K Mart when items are without a box! Yes Mr Siam cringes when I have my haggling face on. I just tell him its "un-Australian not to haggle:wubclub:

I take the view that if I can haggle the price down on what I am buying price has been set with it in mind in the first place.

I have had things thrown in without haggling and known the proper price and that suited me.

I do all the research on line, and around and about then make a decision which is the best deal to go with.

On line purchases are cheaper than actually going into the shop and the choice is better I have found.

Also if you have purchased from the store before and are on their computer they immediately give you a very good deal.

Luckily for me, my wife has lived in Australia most of her life (so is used to haggling) and is also good at it. However, I've quickly learned to follow her lead.

The usual "in" would be something like "I'm interested in this fridge but think the price is a bit more than I want to spend. What would be your very best price?". Unless the goods are already heavily discounted, this has always resulted in a discount.

However, since you're buying several things, you have another tack. The "I want to buy this fridge, that freezer and a washing machine....what price can you give me to buy them all here?" line never fails to work. And, once you've done that, the next time you go in you can say "I bought all my white goods here last year--how about a loyalty discount?".

Finally, always end up with a "that's not too bad---throw in a couple of Wii games (or whatever) and you have a deal". Works almost every time!

Bob

Guest siamsusie
Luckily for me, my wife has lived in Australia most of her life (so is used to haggling) and is also good at it. However, I've quickly learned to follow her lead.

The usual "in" would be something like "I'm interested in this fridge but think the price is a bit more than I want to spend. What would be your very best price?". Unless the goods are already heavily discounted, this has always resulted in a discount.

However, since you're buying several things, you have another tack. The "I want to buy this fridge, that freezer and a washing machine....what price can you give me to buy them all here?" line never fails to work. And, once you've done that, the next time you go in you can say "I bought all my white goods here last year--how about a loyalty discount?".

Finally, always end up with a "that's not too bad---throw in a couple of Wii games (or whatever) and you have a deal". Works almost every time!

Bob

Nice to see a man that doesnt walk away when we women haggle:laugh:

I find that a lot of the competing shops are close together too so you can go in, say, the good guys, get a price for something, walk over the road to Harvey Norman or Dick Smith and tell them what you've been offered. If they are keen for a sale they will undercut each other.

We went to buy a washing machine from Harvey Norman as they had advertised it on "special". When were looking at it and umming a arring the salesman said I can do it at $xxx dollars you know. Fair bit cheaper than the special offer.

When we bought our plasma TV we rung round a few shops who had the same model we wanted and kept playing them off until we got the cheapest offer (Harvey Norman again). A new model of the TV had just come out and they were all keen to get rid of the last one. Only difference was a couple of extra HDMI ports. When we went to pick it up they didn't have it in the shop and had to go to the warehouse. We showed the guy the receipt, as we had payed in the shop and he told us that was less than they had bought it in for.

The explanation was they really want to get rid of the older models when new ones come out and are even prepared to take a loss in some cases as they need the warehouse space.

I love it, you are a true professional!:jiggy:.. I even haggle at K Mart when items are without a box! Yes Mr Siam cringes when I have my haggling face on. I just tell him its "un-Australian not to haggle:wubclub:

siamsusie ......are you starting classes in how to haggle........if so, sign me up please:biggrin:

Nice to see a man that doesnt walk away when we women haggle:laugh:

My wife is still the master but I'm learning!

Heck, we've even been known to play a "good cop, bad cop" routine where one of us pretends to be keen and the other wants to walk away. That can work well!

You stories about K-mart sound familiar--Caer negotiates at K-mart, Big W, even Woolies. The smallest imperfection and she's straight to Customer Service looking for a discount!

(We spent a week in Istanbul about 18 months ago. Watching Caer in action at the Grand Bazaar was a master class!)

Bob

A few Golden rules:

Price match. I bought a tent from Anaconda $800 off the RRP. I just showed the guy

in store the link to a store in NWS, he rang them and checked the price and I walked out with a tent.

Research on the net. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/ This forum is great for researching heaps of electrical items (what to buy, where to buy and what to pay)

Have the balls to walk away.

The wife hates me, but I will will away over $30 rounding off on a $2500 deal. :laugh:

I recently bought a new Tv after weeks of research for $800 less than the RRP. It had been in the country for about 2 weeks, and the second closest offer was $300 more.

Most importantly, have fun haggling!!

• 2 months later...

Archived