Scots ,Irish And Welsh

tonyman

setting aside the fact that Scotland etc was a country in its own right before the act of union or whatever it was made us part on the United Kingdom, there has been a lot of talk about football, yet no-one has uttered the words "Grass roots level!" that's shocking!

setting aside the fact that Scotland etc was a country in its own right before the act of union or whatever it was made us part on the United Kingdom...

So was Texas before it became part of the US, so was Mercia before it became part of England, so what?

i will qualify,

my point was no-one mentioned "grass roots football!" an all to commonly dragged out phrase for making youth development seem more important than it actually is!! tis just a game after all, though the monster gets bigger all the time!

anyway, back to work!

Can I digress and put my peneths worth in and vote for Geordie independance? I mean we divint kna if we are coming or going we support football though aye as passionate as you Jocks in fact we have won bugger all for so long we think we are jock!!

Only kiddin kids.

Can I digress and put my peneths worth in and vote for Geordie independance? I mean we divint kna if we are coming or going we support football though aye as passionate as you Jocks in fact we have won bugger all for so long we think we are jock!!

Only kiddin kids.

Yes, let's here it for Geordie independance. The Kingdom of Northumbria was once a country in it's own right just as Scotland was once a country in it's own right so let's campaign for FIFA to give them a world cup qualfying spot (they won't qualify obviously - but then neither will Scotland). All we need is the grass roots support!

Yes, let's here it for Geordie independance. The Kingdom of Northumbria was once a country in it's own right just as Scotland was once a country in it's own right so let's campaign for FIFA to give them a world cup qualfying spot (they won't qualify obviously - but then neither will Scotland). All we need is the grass roots support!

As long as the mighty Berwick Rangers stay in the Scottish football leagues to help bolster our keek team, since Berwick's always been part of Scotland anyway :)

Only kiddin kids.

your nae a brickie cad Oz and you hiv sweaty arm pits are you ?:laugh:loved aveidasen pet, prob hinna spelt it right och well:laugh:

your nae a brickie cad Oz and you hiv sweaty arm pits are you ?:laugh:loved aveidasen pet, prob hinna spelt it right och well:laugh:

Naw, Am crackin on a bit nu but just pluggin away oot in the bush, 4 hour drive from Brissie. I have tried speakin like an Aussie but all I get is "Are you Welsh"? so it's a modified Geordie acent for me, just enough to stop then saying Eh?:biglaugh:

I can never get them to stop saying eh? and I think I am quite posh (well from a council estate in the posh end).

How about this one; me and the Dragon were in a pizza shop in Cairns asking for a ham and pineapple one and the waitress kept saying wine? no I'm spluttering no wine. This goes on with the whole place giggling and laughing before we realised she was say Hawaian!! It seems wherevever we go we get something on the order wrong! no doubt there are plenty of POMS with similar stories!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I used to go out with a Scottish lass many moons ago and after a couple of months she said, i want you to meet my parents' i said ok ............. we went into the living room and she introduced me to her parents .............. talking in a Scottish accent OMG i had never heard her speak like that, she spoke only English when she was with me and i was taken aback. She always spoke with a Scottish accent all the time when with her parents and i just wondered if this was common?

Ive had loads of scottish workmates from oxgangs edinburgh,fergusley park paisley,all over glasgow and none of them tempered their accent at all jim tbh,nor would i expect them to,ive got 3 or 4 mates down here from glasgow and they all still talk with a strong glaswegian accent,i find it easy to understand their twang after working with a lot of them,they were the same with our accent till they got used to it,i cant see me losing mine if i get to oz,it does become hard work at times explaining things or repeating yerself tho,so i just talk slower,theres a few accents which are worlds apart from the aussie one so its gonna be difficult for aussies to understand isnt it

Aye sids daw you nae one o Bobjs fishing buddies are you:laugh:

Naw, the only fish I know is one dipped in batter! speaking of which have you ever come across those radio clips of the Aberdonian who winds them all up ( he once rang Hello Magazine and said his daughter was getting married in Peter Heed) the posh girl on the other said Madonna is already married! this went on and he kept saying Ma Dowdta! she eventully said Oh your Daughter? Aye he says, is she famous she says? well she is in Peterheed!! :biglaugh:

( Robin Galloway aka Hector Brocklebank), hilarious, he even rank a Morgue to ask if he could come and smoke some fish!!!

How about this one; me and the Dragon were in a pizza shop in Cairns asking for a ham and pineapple one and the waitress kept saying wine? no I'm spluttering no wine. This goes on with the whole place giggling and laughing before we realised she was say Hawaian!! It seems wherevever we go we get something on the order wrong! no doubt there are plenty of POMS with similar stories!

I just worked that out "me and the dragon" :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Naw, the only fish I know is one dipped in batter! speaking of which have you ever come across those radio clips of the Aberdonian who winds them all up ( he once rang Hello Magazine and said his daughter was getting married in Peter Heed) the posh girl on the other said Madonna is already married! this went on and he kept saying Ma Dowdta! she eventully said Oh your Daughter? Aye he says, is she famous she says? well she is in Peterheed!! :biglaugh:

( Robin Galloway aka Hector Brocklebank), hilarious, he even rank a Morgue to ask if he could come and smoke some fish!!!

Have heard them:biglaugh::biglaugh: No idea where though.

Embarrasingly, me a Paisley lass went into a shop with a Glaswegian server and I am ashamed to say I didn't fully understand him at first ( he was very broad). However after a few moments I was back on track and I realised that I had to kind of adjust my hearing. For so long I have adjusted my hearing to hear Australian accents cos they are not always easy to understand. So I guess that is what Australians have to do for us. But I did feel bad and I do now have some understanding of why they struggle so much.

Even more shamefully, sometimes I do not even understand my own mother (but she also is very very broad).

I used to work with a German lady who lived in UK and she said when she spoke to her parents she had forgotten some of her home language. I get a bit sad when I realise I have forgotten a Scottish word for something and I don't like changing my accent to adapt, cos it is part of who I am.

However, sometimes people are unneccessarily rude when they can't understand you and I have decided to just be rude right back.

If, by some miracle, England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales all qualified for a World Cup I would support England first. If they got knocked out early I would switch to supporting whichever of the others were still in.

Judging by the state of football over there though it's not going to happen. Nothing has changed with British football and the only reason the Premier league is judged as one of the best is all the foreign players involved.

I am still hoping that one day we could get a centre back pair who would not boot the ball upfield when put under a bit of pressure. You just know what's going to happen when the ball is with an English centre back and an opposition player is within 5 yards of him, either pass back to the goalkeeper or a big hoof up the field. If we are playing one of the nations like Portugal, Spain, Brazil and even Germany now spend the next 5 minutes trying to get the ball back.

Why is it that the whole team from the successful nations all look happy with the ball at their feet and are not scared to venture beyond the half way line.

On the accent thing. I felt under more pressure to try and speak correctly and lose my accent when I worked in London. Down there, in some of the places I worked, I could almost sense people looking down their nose and thinking what's this working class person doing in a place/job like this.

In Australia it's just an English accent.

aye at was brillait:laugh:we used to listen to galloway a the time on the wireless, real funny :laugh:

Archived