Scots ,Irish And Welsh

tonyman

I don't think Scotland, N.Ireland or Wales should be allowed to take part in the world cup. Countries like Catalonia, Queensland or California don't get to send a team so why should they?

ok so give me one good reason why Scotland shouldnt be part of it .../

I don't think Scotland, N.Ireland or Wales should be allowed to take part in the world cup. Countries like Catalonia, Queensland or California don't get to send a team so why should they?

since when was queensland a country ? or any of the other 2 come to think of it :wacko:

mrs keily

Guest The Ropey HOFF
ok so give me one good reason why Scotland shouldnt be part of it .../

Because they are useless and don't have one decent footballer. :laugh:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
And thats different to England how exactly????:biggrin:

The simple answer is .............. they are both useless. lol:wink:

since when was queensland a country ? or any of the other 2 come to think of it :wacko:

mrs keily

They're as much countries as any of the other three. True they're not members of the UN (if that's your definition of a country) but neither are any of the other three.

They're as much countries as any of the other three. True they're not members of the UN (if that's your definition of a country) but neither are any of the other three.

ooops sorry ....last time i heard queensland was a state ...no ??? or maybe im in the wrong country ...[australia]

mrs keily

Guest GeorgeD

I think you'll find England also fall into exactly the same situation. Scotland, England, N Ireland and Wales make up the United Kingdom. If you don't think the other three should take part then neither should England.

The World Cup is a tournament for FIFA member organisations. It so happens that this maps onto national boundaries almost exclusively, but there are one or two anomalies...like the Home Nations which have historically had separate leagues and footballing authorities.

So, if the Home Nations should compete under a United Kingdom banner, then the member footballing authorities should merge, as should the leagues...You'll get bumper crowds at Peterhead vs Yeovil on a Wednesday night in winter...

Incidentally...Guam, Puerto Rico, Hong Kong, Aruba, and Chinese Taipei are all member associations of FIFA but aren't recognised as sovereign states by the UN. Just like England, Scotland, N Ireland and Wales. Montserrat (not recognised by the UN) lost 5-2 to Belize on the 16th of June 2011 in the very first qualifying match for the Brazil 2014 World Cup Finals. They play their games in Trinidad & Tobago as they don't have a stadium on their own island...The World Cup is a competition for FIFA member associations, not UN recognised countries, hence the inclusion of these weird and wonderfully obscure non-countries like Guam, Chinese Taipei and England...

Guest GeorgeD
Scotlands no jist a country pal its a great nation and we will never be joined to england.

Indeed.

And given the swing towards the Scottish National Party in the last Scottish Parliament elections, a referendum on independence may be on its way. Then Scotland would become it's own nation recognised by the UN and others...however the likelihood of winning (or even qualifying for these days!) the World Cup is still likely to remain a pipe dream. Our best bet is to try and host the European Championships and avoid really tough games against the Faroe Islands and the like.

ooops sorry ....last time i heard queensland was a state ...no ??? or maybe im in the wrong country ...[australia]

mrs keily

this is a bit confusing. but interesting. I hope there is another answer to follow with info on Queensland the country.

Queensland is just as much a country as Scotland. It's got it's own parliament, it's own premier, it only became part of the Commonwealth of Australia (not the country of Australia - there's no such thing) upon Federation in 1901.

If you can call Scotland a country despite the fact that it is one of the member states of the United Kingdom then you can call Queensland a country.

Incidentally GeorgeD I agree with you regarding England - they shouldn't be in the world cup either, but it was the OP who didn't mention them originally. Didn't understand why you want to merge the minor leagues though - it's quite normal for them to be divided regionally e.g. Conference North and Conference South. The premiership already includes Swansea and by all accounts attempts were been made to include Rangers and Celtic when the premiership was founded (I think the sticking point was where would they go if they were relegated since the Scots wouldn't want them back)!

I honestly think this answer is bordering on ignorance and obviously comes from someone with no real interest in football. Just so you're aware, before FIFA, before The World Cup. A game of football took place on 18th November 1872. On this day Scotland and England played the first ever international football match. Essentially this game, and others from it gave rise to what is now international football. Now, we can sit and debate on political or geographical reasons why this should't be classed as not being an international. The truth is, I think it's irrelevant to most football supporters in the UK. Who despite knowing the frailties of their respective teams, cherish what it means to support their team as an independent nation.

This is issue is actually a bit of a hot topic at the moment. Especially now The English FA and The British Olympic comity are potentially creating a dangerous precedence. The subject of a UK football team at the Olympics has got the Celtic FA's worried about FIFA insisting that the teams loose their independent status there after. It's not that they're against in in principle in general, it's just when it comes to FIFA the're is a serious lack of trust. FIFA has allegedly given guarantees that there's no threat to each countries independent status should a UK team be fielded at the Olympics. Though apparently these assurances aren't legally binding. FIFA would benefit massively if there was only one association representing the UK. At the moment a representative from one of the home nations is guaranteed one of FIFA's six vice-president places. Similarly, when the rules of football are changed it is down to The International Football Board. This is made up of the four home nations who have one vote each, whilst FIFA retains the other four. So from that point of view, to disband the home nations would benefit FIFA massively. This is despite the historical factors that make the home nations unique.

It was discussed the other day about Scotland fans not supporting England. Well I can probably say on behalf of most Scotland fans. If you want to retain your independence as a footballing country England. We'll support you all the way.

Indeed.

And given the swing towards the Scottish National Party in the last Scottish Parliament elections, a referendum on independence may be on its way. Then Scotland would become it's own nation recognised by the UN and others...however the likelihood of winning (or even qualifying for these days!) the World Cup is still likely to remain a pipe dream. Our best bet is to try and host the European Championships and avoid really tough games against the Faroe Islands and the like.

I think we're starting to go in the right direction with regards to football. I'm glad the SNP have recognised what football means to the people of Scotland and are throwing their weight behind reforms. In Craig Levein (forgetting the "let's try and be Barcelona and play without a striker nonsense" against the Czechs) I honestly believe we have a coach who knows how the game should be played. Sadly, whilst we have got quite a good team at the moment. They are maybe lacking in technique like what most other European teams take for granted. Levein recognised this as being an issue when at Dundee United and overhauled their youth system. The same is being implemented nationally with greater emphasis on not just bringing players through the system, but turning them into complete footballers and not just athletes as what we generally have in the SPL at the moment.

Scotland IS a country. Not a case of "if you can call Scotland a country" It IS A COUNTRY.

That is exactly the same as saying "if you can call England a country" when it too is part of the United Kingdom.

If Queensland was once a country it is now state. Or does that mean that all states are really countries?

Also, are there other people who don't believe Scotland is a country? Is that why people (including some from the UK) refer to the WHOLE of the UK as England.

Scotland IS a country. Not a case of "if you can call Scotland a country" It IS A COUNTRY.

That is exactly the same as saying "if you can call England a country" when it too is part of the United Kingdom.

If Queensland was once a country it is now state. Or does that mean that all states are really countries?

Also, are there other people who don't believe Scotland is a country? Is that why people (including some from the UK) refer to the WHOLE of the UK as England.

Scotland is a nation pal not jist a country, cmon the jocks:jiggy:

Scotland is a nation pal not jist a country, cmon the jocks:jiggy:

Omg there is so much more to this than I initially realised. Now we are talking nations. Yes Scotland is a nation too. Let's get our kilts on and celebrate this great country/nation/state of great britain!!:spinny::v_SPIN: I totally feel like having a party now. Amazing what can get you in the mood for a dance.

Here comes the Highland granny two big .....................................:party_hat_emoticon_

Omg there is so much more to this than I initially realised. Now we are talking nations. Yes Scotland is a nation too. Let's get our kilts on and celebrate this great country/nation/state of great britain!!:spinny::v_SPIN: I totally feel like having a party now. Amazing what can get you in the mood for a dance.
you a lass or laddie?:confused: