BBQ Etiquette

Well Its a bank holiday weekend in Sheffield, and we just had a BBQ.

It was a bit chilly, we all had jumpers on, the salad blew away in the wind and we retreated indoors as soon as we finished, but it did pose the question.

"In Oz, do people do gas or charcol?" - We are charcol lovers ourselves, but is this the done thing there!

Anyway, now warming up indoors, but will probably have heating on again later.....

Off camping later this week, hope it warms up a bit!

Sarah

:laugh:

definately gas; wood or charcoal BBQs do come under bushfire rules as they're classed as naked flame. Even when you're not in a bushfire area they're still gas though people seems to like charcoal rotisseries for doing whole pigs and lambs etc.

Guest siamsusie
Well Its a bank holiday weekend in Sheffield, and we just had a BBQ.

It was a bit chilly, we all had jumpers on, the salad blew away in the wind and we retreated indoors as soon as we finished, but it did pose the question.

"In Oz, do people do gas or charcol?" - We are charcol lovers ourselves, but is this the done thing there!

Anyway, now warming up indoors, but will probably have heating on again later.....

Off camping later this week, hope it warms up a bit!

Sarah

:laugh:

We personally have both Norfolk Girl. Gas for speed but charcoal for taste.

We also use the Webber a fair bit and with apple chips etc thats another delicious method of cooking.

Our public BBQ's in Tasmania in the main are gas or electric for H & S reasons.

Have a lovely weekend!

Susie x

Guest morrissey

yup a big gas one here outside ready to be turned on and used again.. :)

come back sun and heat...

I've never seen an Aussie use a BBQ that wasn't gas - unless they were camping, and even then most use portable gas BBQ's.

a lot of the older houses have brick wood burners in the back yard,but its cheaper these days to go to bunnings and by a throw away

the salad blew away in the wind

ha ha. sorry, that made me chuckle!

Gas is far mor convienient and practical than charcoal. We use a gas Webber and its great.

The real dilema is "to clean now or to leave and just turn it on next time really hot and burn stuff away".

The clean freak in me says option a, but the lazy person in me always seems to overrule and goes for option b.

ha ha. sorry, that made me chuckle!

Gas is far mor convienient and practical than charcoal. We use a gas Webber and its great.

The real dilema is "to clean now or to leave and just turn it on next time really hot and burn stuff away".

The clean freak in me says option a, but the lazy person in me always seems to overrule and goes for option b.

I usually cook on old baking trays and then stick them in the dishwasher - but many BBQ's nowadays come with removable plates that fit in a dishwasher. I never clean the burners. That baked on burnt grease smell is what gives it the flavour!

Guest morrissey

off topic i just had a look at that book on amazon new jez

as a bookmaker id price it up 1/50 that review on that link for your book is by you :)

Big gas one under the patio but use the webber charcoal one for roasts. Christmas turkey usually gets done on the webber. Charcoal is a bit messy and gas is so convenient.

Free BBQ's in the parks are nearly all electric. Just press a button and away you go.

As for the fly problem If you are close to the coast it's not too bad. Has to be a stinking hot day with no wind for there to be a fly problem. Bit different a few Km's inland though.

Hubby insists on charcoal most of the time. However for larger things like parties and family do's gas is used.

Have to say charcoal does give a much better taste to the food. Gas barbie you could just as well be cooking it in a pan in the kitchen.

Guest guest37336

Don't forget that if you ask (or are asked) to 'Bring A Plate' make sure it is a paper plate, chuck on the BBQ (charcoal) at the end of the evening, saves washing up and breakage's.:yes: Bit difficult with an enormous Pavlova (now there's a contentious issue) or bloody meat, but all the same.:goofy:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Some great replies thanks, as we will be retiring our rather rusty charcoal BBQ, looks like it might be gas, guess it could come down to local laws though.

Sarah

I always laugh at the scrubbers! If you leave the grid dirty the fat from the meat protects the metal. Just burn it and use a wire brush to clean it off next time you want to BBQ.

I always laugh at the scrubbers! If you leave the grid dirty the fat from the meat protects the metal. Just burn it and use a wire brush to clean it off next time you want to BBQ.

Must admit im a scrubber:embarrassed:,i get a brillo on the grill plate and scour it,it IS a chore tho i admit that,doesnt seem right leaving the burnt fat on,re gas or charcoal.....i dont often BBQ,im no expert on them,but i just dont fancy gas,i suppose theres things you can use with a gas one to give the food a "charcoally" taste is there?but i'd sooner use a charcoal one anyway

Must admit im a scrubber:embarrassed:,i get a brillo on the grill plate and scour it,it IS a chore tho i admit that,doesnt seem right leaving the burnt fat on,re gas or charcoal.....i dont often BBQ,im no expert on them,but i just dont fancy gas,i suppose theres things you can use with a gas one to give the food a "charcoally" taste is there?but i'd sooner use a charcoal one anyway

Well I'm no expert on Gas, but if you are BBQing on charcoal a couple of 100 degrees burns the fat off, anything left behind is removed by the wire brush or sterilized by the heat.

What is dangerous is going to POMMIE Barbies where the the chicken is burnt on the outside and bleeding on the inside. Simple solution cook chicken in the microwave for 15 min before cooking it on the Barbie, nobody will know the difference and you could save your guests lives.

Please note it does not work for cucumbers (ref Ecoli Cucumber thread)

Well I'm no expert on Gas, but if you are BBQing on charcoal a couple of 100 degrees burns the fat off, anything left behind is removed by the wire brush or sterilized by the heat.

What is dangerous is going to POMMIE Barbies where the the chicken is burnt on the outside and bleeding on the inside. Simple solution cook chicken in the microwave for 15 min before cooking it on the Barbie, nobody will know the difference and you could save your guests lives.

Please note it does not work for cucumbers (ref Ecoli Cucumber thread)

I know,i know,but i just cant seem to leave it,ive gotta scrub it,just doesnt seem rite weazel

Archived