Help and Advice Needed on Speeding Tickets

plaver

I've recently returned a from a trip to Geelong where I spent around 10 days looking at different areas and properties and covered nearly 2000kms during this time I didn't see one mobile speed camera, all the speed camera's I did see I made sure my speed was within the speed limit when I passed the camera.

On returning I've now received a number of speeding fines through the post all in the region of 107kph in 100kph limit.

My dilemma is do I pay the fines......................... Bearing in mind I am considering living and working in Geelong later this year.

When credit checks are carried out in Oz will I have show/give my last address in UK???

I would be interested to know people's thought's on this, I can't be the only person who has visited the state of Victoria on a reccie visit and get speeding tickets.

Hahaha. Theres one quick lesson for travellng in VIC.......DONT SPEED..... The cops hide, unlike the uk where they are visable. They sit in unmarked cars on the roadside with blacked out windows so you cant see them. They will also get your speed when driving towards you......

If you are returning then i can only see it in your best interests to fork out the extortionate cost of speeding fines......

Unlucky

The cops hide, unlike the uk where they are visable

Really? they all hide round my way! Camera vans may be in plain sight, but they are sited round corners etc so by the time you see them, its too late they got you already! police cars and cops on foot all hide behind walls, hedges, buildings etc.

I take it the hire car company gave you up!

My dad used to work in Saudi Arabia. he got a ticket from a fixed camera on his way to the airport one return journey. when the letter came it was marked with Strathclyde police so i opened it and it was an NIP. so i told them he had left the country and gave them his number to contact him. they called him and he said he wouldnt be back for 4 months. they dropped it and has never heard from them since. that was about 8-9 years ago.

Sorry you have been caught they are everywhere and they do not tell us where they are saying "road safety cameras operate in Victoria" that covers anywhere the want to be.

The problem with getting them is the points you get on your licence. After 12 points its suspended.

If you return and live here then they will have you on record when you want to change your licence over.

Red Light cameras are also big revenue earners her in Victoria.

My hip pocket nerve got hurt quite badly so now I have to curb my impatience. :wink:

Guest The Pom Queen

Don't look for police cars, look for an old banger parked at the side of the road, you will probably pass by thinking that some poor person has broke down at the side of the road.

Guest Anya

How long does it take for them to mail the speeding fines? Was wondering as hubby's been driving for the past 6 months and hasn't got any. But it is crazy driving in Melbourne where speed limits going from 40 to 60 then back to 40 every couple of 100 metres on some roads. It is as if they're designed to specifically catch you out. And our suburb is very hilly so quite easy to get caught out when going down a pretty inclined slope.

Guest Ph0en1x
How long does it take for them to mail the speeding fines? Was wondering as hubby's been driving for the past 6 months and hasn't got any. But it is crazy driving in Melbourne where speed limits going from 40 to 60 then back to 40 every couple of 100 metres on some roads. It is as if they're designed to specifically catch you out. And our suburb is very hilly so quite easy to get caught out when going down a pretty inclined slope.

They are pretty quick, i have never had a ticket but my wife has and if i recall it was about 2 weeks. Sydney is the same with the speed variations, in my view its just a revenue earner and nothing to do with road safety

Up to 10k over is considered low-level speeding and only attracts 1 demerit point per offence (over 10k = 3 demerit points). Plus for your first offence you can write and can beg to be let off the fine and demerit - but you will get an 'official warning' for your first offence. All the other offences will still apply.

You will now have an aus driving record and if you apply for an Aus licence you may find your demerits apply. But you may need to check this. It has implications for car insurance and stuff.

So I would 'fess up. Big brother will have a record and if you run and hide, one day it will catch up with you.

Also, when in Aus, buy a car with cruise control.

Unless you've got a vic licence you won't get the points. My missus didn't - we were living here had bought a car but not changed icences over - when she finally got round to it no mention was made of points - upon asking it was suggested that because she had no vic licence she wasn't 'known' to them.

Paid the fine though better safe than sorry

Guest Ph0en1x

You are lucky in Vic, here in NSW if you accumulate any points on a UK licence they are transfered to a NSW licence

I'd just pay too- they'll get you in the end. You can't speed in Victoria anywhere now, they have hidden cameras and lots of nasty tricks. If you ever go on Eastlink go very slowly when you reach Wellington Road bridge - they hand out fines by the shovelload.

I'd just pay too- they'll get you in the end. You can't speed in Victoria anywhere now, they have hidden cameras and lots of nasty tricks. If you ever go on Eastlink go very slowly when you reach Wellington Road bridge - they hand out fines by the shovelload.

I think that's where I got caught and got a $238 fine and 3 points but having said that, a speed limit of only 100k on a 3 lane motorway which is usually empty is pretty low compared to the UK and Europe. Get a sat nav which tells you where the cameras are and stick to 5k under the limit.

Also be aware of no parking zones in car parks. I've also been caught by that ($120) adn jaywalking fines and now the Vic Police want to fine you for swearing. Talk about revenue raising instead of catching criminals!

The very same thing happened to my hubby when we arrived. We wrote a letter stating every reference number of each ticket. We explained that he was used to driving at 70 mph in Uk and that he drove as much by feel of speed as spedometer as it would be unsafe to check spedo every few minutes. 70mph is 112 kph. We said he did not intentionally break the law etc. Also we said that the purpose of crime nd punishment is that you are deterred from doing it again but that by the time he got his first notice he had already committed all the others (2 weeks). We put it to them that he would accept the points and fine for the first one but asked that they waive the others.

Basically they waived them all apart from one where he was over 110 kpm which I thought was very good (actually I was amazed) of them. Just shows, if you dont ask, you dont get. My advice, write a letter, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Like the others have said though, we do not speed at all now. Lesson well and truly learned. Good luck. :-)

You were lucky.

I really believe Eastlink should be 110km/h. It is such a fantastic road.

The Eastlink cameras are in the Wellington Road bridge and the Dandenong Bypass bridge as well as in the tunnels. I have been caught twice. Just remember to slow down under these two bridges and you'll be okay.

Guest chris955

Victoria is unbelievable for it's speed cameras, I really think it is their greatest form of income. The problem is it has nothing to do with safety, it is money pure and simple. It isn't quite so bad up here in Queensland but still ridiculous, they make you seem like a criminal and potential murderer if you do 5k's over the limit.

I've now receieved the last one of several speeding tickets, while looking around the Victoria police web site. I found this web page http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=10369

I have sent off my appeal to the officer in charge, to cut a long story short, I drive all over world and have visited Australia twice before. I've never received a speeding ticket, the only difference on this trip was the hire car, it was old and knackered and it was the 3rd attempt by the hire company to find me a car that appeared to be road-worthy.

Official Warnings (from Vic Police website)

If you have recently received an Infringement Notice you may apply for an Internal Review.

Victoria Police has the discretion, upon review, to withdraw an infringement notice and issue an official warning in its place.

Each application for an official warning is reviewed on a case-by-case basis with factors such as the circumstances, time of offence, weather conditions, traffic density and type of road/land abutting taken into account. For example, if you recently received a speeding fine but have had a good driving record in the past.

You can apply for an official warning if you:

• Hold a current driver's licence, including probationary, or current learner driver's permit.
  • Have not been issued with a speeding, other traffic fine or official warning within the previous two years.
  • Were caught doing less than 10 kilometres per hour over the speed limit.
  • Do not deny that you committed the offence.

Note: The above guidelines do not apply to infringements that have been paid.

An official warning will not be given for red light, mobile phone, seatbelt or generally any serious road safety offence, unless a proven emergency situation can be shown.

Multiple Infringements

Victoria Police has recently implemented guidelines regarding the enforcement of multiple speed camera infringements issued to drivers detected at low speeds within certain freeway/highway zones.

These guidelines are being adopted to ensure that drivers are being afforded the opportunity to positively alter their driver behaviour, without being penalised by multiple infringements.

Note: These guidelines do not apply to mobile speed camera detections or fixed speed/red light safety cameras at intersections.

For the purpose of these guidelines, a Low Speed Infringement (LSI) is a speed of less than 10 km/h above the posted speed limit.

The discretion to be applied to multiple low speed infringements relates to:

• Those within a given 24-hour period.
  • Those received over a period of several days, prior to the driver becoming aware of the first issued infringement.

Further discretion in the enforcement of multiple speed detections, not resulting in licence loss, is also being adopted.

The same principles will also apply to multiple offences of driving/using an unregistered vehicle, with enforcement of one offence per 24-hour period, subject to certain criteria.

In essence, you may be eligible to have multiple infringements that come within the guidelines withdrawn.

These guidelines are in the process of being automated with a view to ensure that in the future, multiple low speed infringement (LSI) detections in a 24-hour period will not be issued.

Until this system is automated, requests for reviews of such matters must be sent to the Traffic Camera Office, which will consider the request, and has the discretion to determine that only one fine in a specific zone will be upheld.

Should you wish to be considered for withdrawal of infringements within these guidelines, please forward a written application for review to the Traffic Camera Office, address below.

Officer in Charge

Traffic Camera Office

GPO Box 1916

Melbourne 3001

For more information about your eligibility for an Official Warning call Civic Compliance Victoria on (03) 9200 8111, between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday. Callers from regional Victoria can contact Civic Compliance Victoria on 1800 150 410 for the cost of a local call.

• 4 weeks later...
I've now receieved the last one of several speeding tickets, while looking around the Victoria police web site. I found this web page http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=10369

I have sent off my appeal to the officer in charge, to cut a long story short, I drive all over world and have visited Australia twice before. I've never received a speeding ticket, the only difference on this trip was the hire car, it was old and knackered and it was the 3rd attempt by the hire company to find me a car that appeared to be road-worthy.

Update:

I ended up sending in two letters appealing against the 7 speeding tickets I received during my recent trip to Melbourne. Today I finally received a reply from the Victoria Police.

6 of the 7 speed infringements have been withdrawn

and reduced to a 'Official Warning' for each of the 6 speeding infringements. I'm pleased that commonsense have prevailed.

Official Warnings (from Vic Police website)

If you have recently received an Infringement Notice you may apply for an Internal Review.

Victoria Police has the discretion, upon review, to withdraw an infringement notice and issue an official warning in its place.

Each application for an official warning is reviewed on a case-by-case basis with factors such as the circumstances, time of offence, weather conditions, traffic density and type of road/land abutting taken into account. For example, if you recently received a speeding fine but have had a good driving record in the past.

You can apply for an official warning if you:

• Hold a current driver's licence, including probationary, or current learner driver's permit.

• Have not been issued with a speeding, other traffic fine or official warning within the previous two years.

• Were caught doing less than 10 kilometres per hour over the speed limit.

• Do not deny that you committed the offence.

Note: The above guidelines do not apply to infringements that have been paid.

An official warning will not be given for red light, mobile phone, seatbelt or generally any serious road safety offence, unless a proven emergency situation can be shown.

Multiple Infringements

Victoria Police has recently implemented guidelines regarding the enforcement of multiple speed camera infringements issued to drivers detected at low speeds within certain freeway/highway zones.

These guidelines are being adopted to ensure that drivers are being afforded the opportunity to positively alter their driver behaviour, without being penalised by multiple infringements.

Note: These guidelines do not apply to mobile speed camera detections or fixed speed/red light safety cameras at intersections.

For the purpose of these guidelines, a Low Speed Infringement (LSI) is a speed of less than 10 km/h above the posted speed limit.

The discretion to be applied to multiple low speed infringements relates to:

• Those within a given 24-hour period.

• Those received over a period of several days, prior to the driver becoming aware of the first issued infringement.

Further discretion in the enforcement of multiple speed detections, not resulting in licence loss, is also being adopted.

The same principles will also apply to multiple offences of driving/using an unregistered vehicle, with enforcement of one offence per 24-hour period, subject to certain criteria.

In essence, you may be eligible to have multiple infringements that come within the guidelines withdrawn.

These guidelines are in the process of being automated with a view to ensure that in the future, multiple low speed infringement (LSI) detections in a 24-hour period will not be issued.

Until this system is automated, requests for reviews of such matters must be sent to the Traffic Camera Office, which will consider the request, and has the discretion to determine that only one fine in a specific zone will be upheld.

Should you wish to be considered for withdrawal of infringements within these guidelines, please forward a written application for review to the Traffic Camera Office, address below.

Wow - I don't know how I feel about the abundance of speed cameras in general (I think in many cases there are much better ways of positively changing and policing driver behaviour) but this is actually a pretty fair policy to have in place.

I haven't looked into it but I doubt that any such policy exists in the UK. I can just imagine the laughter in police HQ if they received a letter from a speeder asking to be let off because it's their first offence.

Wow - I don't know how I feel about the abundance of speed cameras in general (I think in many cases there are much better ways of positively changing and policing driver behaviour) but this is actually a pretty fair policy to have in place.

I haven't looked into it but I doubt that any such policy exists in the UK. I can just imagine the laughter in police HQ if they received a letter from a speeder asking to be let off because it's their first offence.

there is a similar rule in the UK for tickets racked up on the same stretch of road or same journey. it is only fair to ticket you once if you don't know you have been caught multiple times. it means that theoretically you cant lose your license for one reckless journey when it hasn't be brought to your attention at the first instance.

it would be a little silly to plead first offence to a 3 point/£60 fixed penalty. best to just take it and learn from it, as it can get ugly if you try to contest it for no good reason.

Guest GregnDeb

We went on a road trip to Gladstone at the end of May and I got the ticket last week! The speeding ticket said I was doing 97kmph but I know I was only doing 89kmph. I was just going to pay it but everyone Ive spoken to says I contest it. I dont know what to do now because it was in an 80 zone, and I was slowing down from 100 because it was going into roadworks, the camera was straight after the 80 sign, sneaky! Im so annoyed its my first ticket ever. Oh well, you live and learn.

I wish it was as simple as that, sadly it isn't

Archived