Think long and hard before coming home

Bod

The only thing i would say is that the homesickness never goes, yes it gets easier but then before you know it it can be worse than ever before.

I have been in Melbourne for 23 years, very homesick first 2 then perfectly ok for the next 18-19 years, But now would give anything to go back. Do not want to be here any longer, as for a better way of life i honestly go home and think they have a far better way of life, ok jobs are not easy to come by, but everything else would leave here for dead. The friendships are like you have never left, they can go to Europe so easily, and sit in a back yard without being eaten alive by mossies, we have some great friends here but if i look at their family lives i can honestly say what we left behind was so much better. My parents have been here for 15 years and that is my biggest problem, if they were back in the UK i would be gone, but i cannot expect them at a late age to move again its too much. They were also happy for most of the time here, but a trip back home 2 years ago has very much unsettled them also, most of the people they mixed with when they first came have died off (sounds awful) and they are now very lonely but at a age where they are too old to be bothered meeting new people, so all in all not a great place and time to be in, sounds very depressing sorry. My husband was also very into staying in Oz but i think he has finally changed his mind also, so i think one of these days we will go. Can't wait!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe there are always comparisons to be made and we always remember the good things about a place. However I also believe that if we migrate and stay away for a good while, if we then decide to return, it will be in reverse.

Returning to friends who we have spent years apart from is good for a while, but then they return to their new friends who they have spent lots of time with and where do we fit in then? New friends of friends are not necessarily going to include us in their lives.

Life is what it is, stages that we go through and its nothing to do with where we live. There is the free and single stage, the married with kids stage, the no kids stage and then comes the retirement phase. As we age its not the country that change us its life that changes us.

If we are people who wish for this and that, it does not change wherever we are. If we make friends easily its always easy, if we do not make friends easily we never will.

We cannot live our lives through wants, maybes and wishes, its daily slog and its what we make of it.

A lot of people spend years waiting for the visa, living breathing, waiting for visa. Then they spend time moaning that they wished they had stayed where they are. Well its not the visa or the place its us, we need to realise that life is not a picture book and take the good with the bad.

Scousers, I feel for you and can relate. It was said earlier horses for courses and that holds firm; each lifestyle has its good sides. I have siblings who live in homes that define UK living and all are successful; none would even consider moving Downunder. A brother with an apartment in the Alpes and my sister with 36ft yacht in a beautiful location in Cornwall. The only holidays we have taken here are those back to the UK and yet we live in a wonderful country for vacations. As I say both locations have their good sides.

Saying this there are massive issues in Europe and the UK, and we're being sheltered from this (for now). I hope you resolve your predicament, as it is very upsetting to be so homesick; if someone said "Listen, I'll sort out your affairs, go home." I'd have jumped at it a year ago; job or no job!

I've just booked a girls weekend in London to see a concert at the O2 (1.5 hours by train from Yorkshire).

Come off it - it can take an hour just to get from Kings Cross to the O2. You'll never get all the way from Yorkshire to the O2 in that time.

How this thread rings loud. So good to hear like minded people. We've had it all in the last year or so; redundancy, us wanting our 2 young boys to grow up with rellies, new cuz's for our boys, family weddings and parent's being seriously ill! Wow! At the end of the day, we came here for a very sound reason and that reason has both been realized and is still the same; we want a better life for our family. Naturally, that is quite subjective, but it true for us. We are just lucky that our families understand why we made the move and are selfless; they'd love us to return. Yes, no doubt we will feel homesick again, but we feel confident we'll never want to return permanently to the UK; it was quite amazing how devoted to going back we felt just 12 months ago!

Hi,

Remember reading your thread when you said you were going home, just wandered what finally changed your mind? we too live in lovely Mordy and dont think we could have picked a better place for us in OZ to live...however since moving here in 2005 I have struggled greatly with home sickness, hubby and my boys still do not want to move back (Sunny Scotland) and although I know on a sensible day and when I have been for a lovely walk along the beach we are "better off" here, my heart tells me to go home, I have now learned to live with how I feel, however do not want to feel torn for the rest of my life???

How ironic! :-) yeah Mordy does have a certain aspect...wish it was closer to where we work, but then it probably wouldn't be Mordy!

What changed our mind? Well, I think the reason for returning would be to have our families nearby. We have missed them sorely since the birth of our boys; both the support network and the ability for our aging parents to get to know them. However, we grew to realize that we wouldn't be able to see the rellies every time we wanted as they have busy lives. Parents and twin brother said this directly and were concerned with our decision. We had already made our minds up about staying and then I went down to Mordy beach with my eldest and saw the Mordy Nippers and thought this is why we're here. That pretty much solidified my resolution. I know how strange and, perhaps, somewhat trivial, but not for me. I still would love to have a stint working in the UK, but job as they are (quite fragile), this is looking unlikely.

Guest chris955

It's interesting that for us for the first 7 or 8 years in Brisbane we saw ourselves here for 'ever' but in the last couple of years we have looked more at what we are missing out on back in the UK and the things we thought were keeping us here arent important. I can walk around in shorts almost all year round but it seems pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things. Most of the 'positives' seem to be weather related and for ME I just see it as a bit shallow and need more.

It's interesting that for us for the first 7 or 8 years in Brisbane we saw ourselves here for 'ever' but in the last couple of years we have looked more at what we are missing out on back in the UK and the things we thought were keeping us here arent important. I can walk around in shorts almost all year round but it seems pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things. Most of the 'positives' seem to be weather related and for ME I just see it as a bit shallow and need more.

Yes what you need is to be snowed in for days and to get out the shovel and do some real work clearing the snow away, wiping the ice of the windscreen. Getting into some heavy clothes. Beats sitting in the sun in shorts. :laugh:

Guest chris955

Snow has never bothered me, in all the years we lived there we had about 2 weeks of snow. I dont do heavy clothes, I wear shorts for all but the coldest weather and never more than a sweatshirt and I never sit in the sun :wink:

Yes what you need is to be snowed in for days and to get out the shovel and do some real work clearing the snow away, wiping the ice of the windscreen. Getting into some heavy clothes. Beats sitting in the sun in shorts. :laugh:

Snow has never bothered me, in all the years we lived there we had about 2 weeks of snow. I dont do heavy clothes, I wear shorts for all but the coldest weather and never more than a sweatshirt and I never sit in the sun :wink:

Well its freezing today here I could do with some of your sunshine :laugh:

Guest chris955

Well it's cold at night up here but lovely during the day, it was 25 today.

Well its freezing today here I could do with some of your sunshine :laugh:

How ironic! :-) yeah Mordy does have a certain aspect...wish it was closer to where we work, but then it probably wouldn't be Mordy!

What changed our mind? Well, I think the reason for returning would be to have our families nearby. We have missed them sorely since the birth of our boys; both the support network and the ability for our aging parents to get to know them. However, we grew to realize that we wouldn't be able to see the rellies every time we wanted as they have busy lives. Parents and twin brother said this directly and were concerned with our decision. We had already made our minds up about staying and then I went down to Mordy beach with my eldest and saw the Mordy Nippers and thought this is why we're here. That pretty much solidified my resolution. I know how strange and, perhaps, somewhat trivial, but not for me. I still would love to have a stint working in the UK, but job as they are (quite fragile), this is looking unlikely.

We went to Oz for the same reasons that you considered returning to the UK....family. It didn't work out for us as we love the UK so much and didn't like Australia. I honestly think if you are happy with your life and make a move purely for family and friends it wont work. If you are unhappy with your lfe anyway then obviously that's a different scenario altogether.

I've just booked a girls weekend in London to see a concert at the O2 (1.5 hours by train from Yorkshire).

Wow u must be on a supersonic train especially as it takes approx 1 hour to get from kings cross to Greenwich!!

Hoping for a move to oz in the coming year or two.......hoping not three!

But it does for some.

I love the cold winters we have had in recent years. I love getting up in the morning scrapping my windscreen.

I just know I'm alive

I also love sitting round in my shorts

What I hate is hot sticky days that sap your energy, and those damp cold wet windy days that you wished you could just stay in bed.

Wow u must be on a supersonic train especially as it takes approx 1 hour to get from kings cross to Greenwich!!

Hoping for a move to oz in the coming year or two.......hoping not three!

As I said before check the trains (before you think I'm talking rubbish)...none stop from Yorkshire to Kings Cross 1 .5 hours done it loads of times. Incidentally my husband used to get the train from Rosewood, which is just outside Brisbane into the city...32 stops and an hour.....

My point is accessibility in this country.

Guest chris955

The trains in the UK makes ours here seem like Tonka toys. I have had to get the 'high speed' tilt train from Cairns to Brisbane a couple of times, the trip averages 100 kph :shocked:

The trains in the UK makes ours here seem like Tonka toys. I have had to get the 'high speed' tilt train from Cairns to Brisbane a couple of times, the trip averages 100 kph :shocked:

agree.

The metro system in any other major global city (London, Paris, NY, Berlin, etc) make Australian inner city transportation look really archaic and clunky. But hey, lets put more buses on the road and she'll be right

Guest chris955

There does seem to be an overemphasis on road travel rather than rail for some reason. My brother has worked for NSW Rail for many years and knows all about the inadequecies.

Guest guest30038
I love getting up in the morning scrapping my windscreen.

I just know I'm alive

I hated it...................3 times in a year the b@stards hurled bricks through it!

Guest Unha99Y

but for me this country has culture, history and vibrancie Australia lacks. It has far many more walts than Aus but life is never boring (ok most of the time it's not)

Pretty much sums it up for me

Hello All

Just a bit of advice for you lot coming home.

Its bloody hard, I've been back 3 years now and still not totally got life back in order. I have never regretted coming back, just regret going in the first place.

This country is not what it used to to be but it still has alot going for it.

Emotionally you will have ups and downs. You just have to work at it. and remember what you did like like About Aus or being away from the mother land.

What you have to remember is life has not changed that much for those you left behind. So don't let it put your nose out of joint just because they dont hold a welcome home party with banners down the motorway and a band playing as you enter town.

Its just not going to happen, give it a week and it'll be that you never left to every one else.

But thats not what its all about so don't get all in a differ about it. What you want to do is get back into live as quickly as possible.

Aus is is an amazzing country so think long and hard about coming back.

Aus has a great future and a life stlye not betterd by many country, and I could not argue with anyone who says their life is complete in Aus.

but for me this country has culture, history and vibrancie Australia lacks. It has far many more walts than Aus but life is never boring (ok most of the time it's not)

Good luck all

Bod

I don't think Australia is lacking in culture, vibrancy,history etc. The diversity of the changing culture in Oz is (in my eyes), truly amazing. The vibrancy of life here is one of the things it's famous for, and although the history isn't mainstream British, it's every bit as relevant as anywhere else. Most people who arrive here tend to embrace it. Compared to the "old world" it will always be considered culturally bereft for various reasons, and the ongoing immigration programmes that offer a different life means it's a culture forever changing, but every decade sees a shift in national outlook and hopefully future immigrants will continue adding to it.

I don't think that life in Britain is so bad that people "have" to emigrate, and having the soft landing to go home to must always be a temptation for some when things don't go to plan. Personally I was never tempted. If the Australian way of life wasn't so British based I wonder how many Poms would consider settling here. I imagine the biggest group/nationality of returning immigrants would have to be British. Anyone have any figures ?

As I said in an earlier thread I really enjoy certain things about the UK that didn't interest me too much when I was younger, and I'm looking forward to spending a few years over there, but it's not because I think Australia lacks vibrancy etc.

Now for those who don't agree, please don't all yell at once. Syd. !!!

Guest TLC1

We are going back to the Isle of Wight next year after 3yrs here & I for one can't wait! Nothing against Oz & I am happy that lots of people have a great life here, but it's just not for me. We left a lovely life to come here to be closer to my family and as I have been to Oz countless times (WA & QLD) thought it would work out ok, but alas it hasn't. I miss so many things about home & they are all things that I can't recreate over here. I know we'll be skint for a while, but when I step off of that ferry it will all be worth it!

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion on something, it's ok to disagree as long as we're still respectful that that is that persons view. Some posters feel that Australia lacks vibrancy whilst others do not - doesn't make either of those views wrong - just personal to them.

Archived