Think long and hard before coming home

Bod

Connie, I was being a wee bit sarccy after several wines tonight so apologies all round mate. If you ever come back to Australia, and who knows you might, you might find it a lot easier to settle somewhere other than Toowoomba. Family aside, it would be far from my first choice. Syd.

Ahh the dreaded wine slurr....no worries...but the whole point of going was to be near family...the dream never was Australia...it would have sort have defeated the object to move elsewhere....and to be honest we just really didn't like anything....

2 familes have moved into our village in the last 5 months both Poms one from 5 years in Sydney, the other 3 years in Melbourne....both thrilled to be back. I have heard of some people somewhere loving it though:wink:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest37175
I really don't think she failed to make the move work,do you?They just did not like it,simple as that.

Ditto that. Connie and her family's move to Queensland has some parallels with my own family's move there. In that the desire to be close to family (my partner's) and give the kids a chance to spend time with extended family there was a big factor. Connie and her husband succeeded in doing that. Long term Australia wasn't for them, but I'm sure as a family they'll look back upon some happy memories of the extended family together. That makes it a successful venture in my book.

Is there a rule that says when you make the move to Oz that it has to be for good?. Plenty of forum members have moved over here for a different experience and then head back to the UK when they're done. I think approaching the move like it's some kind of death or glory military mission "where failure is not an option" is only going to heap pressure on families.

Guest Unha99Y
Are you due to come home anytime soon...? it's awful being somewhere you don't want to be.:hug:

Connie, parole is due in the uk spring :biggrin:

Guest famousfive

Like many on here we also moved for family reasons[big mistake,but that is a whole other forum]but with a view to deciding if we wanted it to be a permanent move.We have chosen to return home and to me this makes the move a success because it has allowed us to make that decision once and for all.We also wanted our kids to get a feel for where there dad comes from,at an age where they can appreciate it,learn from the experience and remember it.We have achieved that too so all is good.We return home by Christmas in the knowledge that our work here is done.

Guest Guest31881

I would like to thank the contributors to this thread.

Last night I thought this thread would have to be closed because the tone of the thread was changing and it was turning into an argument.

I was pleasantly surprised to see this morning that the regular contributors to the thread had manged to keep the thread on track and once again it is an interesting and informative thread.

Thank you everyone who kept their heads when all around were losing theirs. :wink::wink::wink:

Guest Unha99Y

And for those of us that have been labeled as failed do not fell disheartened. I have just received an automated email from super.Hobart@immi.gov.au in response to canceling my visa to be told that due to overwhelming requests for visa cancellations they are dealing with requests from April 11th. So don't feel alone :)

And for those of us that have been labeled as failed do not fell disheartened. I have just received an automated email from super.Hobart@immi.gov.au in response to canceling my visa to be told that due to overwhelming requests for visa cancellations they are dealing with requests from April 11th. So don't feel alone :)

is there a need to cancel a visa? I would have thought it would just lapse?

Guest Unha99Y

I am making an enquiry as to whether I can claim any super back from when I was a temp resident. In order to claim back super immigration have to cancel your visa and then notify the ATO and then in turn your super fund. Obviously this has to be done offshore

Guest Guest37175
I am making an enquiry as to whether I can claim any super back from when I was a temp resident. In order to claim back super immigration have to cancel your visa and then notify the ATO and then in turn your super fund. Obviously this has to be done offshore

Thanks for that. I'm looking to do something similar when I eventually return home. Let us know how you get on with it.

Guest Unha99Y
Thanks for that. I'm looking to do something similar when I eventually return home. Let us know how you get on with it.

Will do matey, when are you looking to be paroled? :biggrin:

I think if you access super before retirement age there's a heavy tax involved. Please tell me if I'm wrong about that. If this is the case shouldn't you just leave it in Australia ?

Guest Unha99Y
I think if you access super before retirement age there's a heavy tax involved. Please tell me if I'm wrong about that. If this is the case shouldn't you just leave it in Australia ?

30% I believe

Guest Guest37175

Oh, not for about 18 months or so yet. Be good to go home with a chunk of Super in my pocket though.

Guest Unha99Y
Oh, not for about 18 months or so yet. Be good to go home with a chunk of Super in my pocket though.

Just had an email from super at Hobart and they have told me that as I am a permanent resident on a BV-855 visa I am not permitted for a refund. Of course if you are a temp resident you are. Oh well at least a tax free nest egg for retirement

Guest Unha99Y

Ps. It does also state that one reason is that it is not possible to request the cancellation of a PR visa, the cancel part is a requirement for the ATO

Just had an email from super at Hobart and they have told me that as I am a permanent resident on a BV-855 visa I am not permitted for a refund. Of course if you are a temp resident you are. Oh well at least a tax free nest egg for retirement

Maybe you should ask if you can continue to make the odd payment to super and hedge your bets a bit.

Guest Unha99Y
Maybe you should ask if you can continue to make the odd payment to super and hedge your bets a bit.

God no, once I have left these shores, Australia has nothing more from me

Guest Unha99Y

It feels like a long, long way away right now! :smile:

Don't feel down mate, I used to feel the same but I can guarantee that as soon as you start making firm plans and you can see the light at the end of the tunnel you will cheer up and start living again.

Had two shipping companies come today to do quotes, makes me feel wonderful

Glad you are making a fist of return and as you say people have to think long and hard.

For us Aus is all the culture we need, in fact after our youth of travel around the world we are all cultured out. Happy just to sit back and enjoy our lives.

Every country has culture just different culture, Japan is amazing and they still live their culture, i e the politeness and patience of the eastern people has come down through time and shows us how much we have lost from our own culture in my own view.

I prefer to remember the UK as it was and am pleased to get back to Aus.

I think the reason I miss england culture is because its MY culture , I can marvel at Japan , rome etc but it not my culture.....:biggrin:

Why don't you just set up a self managed super fund and withdraw it anyway ? If you're not coming back you've got nothing to lose.

Guest Guest37175
Just curious as to why you have to stay in OZ?

Oh my partner won't even consider returning to the UK unless she's had at least two years in melbourne. That's another 18 months away. So it's a case of just getting on with it, counting off the days and looking forward to eventually going home.

When are you heading back to Blighty Rodfan?

Archived