Aussie press...Here we go again!!

Nzogbia

Selective - again. Why have you not mentioned the section re 'Excerpts' - because it entirely vindicates what I have said and is damning in the extreme. I may copy it out and paste it on here at some point.

Page 17 - Have you actually read the article? have you actually read the section about organising a republican themed alternative?

Are you responding to me? If so I stated I hadn't read the "Excerpts" and by your comments re the other articles those would probably be very exaggerated too. Far from vindicating what you have said, I expect it would underline how biased you are.

As for the republican alternative street party, was it worth mentioning? The article said the reason it got so much publicity , in England,was because Camden Council had banned it and that BBC TV and radio had been talking about giving it prime time coverage. I fail to see how that shows anti British feeling by the Australian press.

I really think that you should get a life!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest37175
You're not as welltravelled/read as you attempt to present yourself. Never heard the phrase "Un-American"? Or "Un-british"???????? Or are you simply in denial in order to affirm your position?

Hung Parliament in the UK

A Very Un-British Election Result

Copying French ban on burqa would be un-British, says minister

Immigration minister Damian Green says ban on Muslim women covering faces in public would be at odds with 'tolerant society'

Cameron steps up AV attack while celebrities rally to the cause

PM says alternative vote is unBritish and likely to favour extremists as Tory chairwoman is accused of 'Goebbels-like' lies

Un-American' is a familiar term. Conjures up images of the McCarthy (spelling?) trials of the 1950's and the galloping paranoia of the political establishment at the perceived threat from communists within it's borders. Never heard the expression 'UnBritish' before though. That's a new one. Do we have News International to thank for this as well?

Was it John Howard who started making references to 'Un-Australian' behaviour and attitudes when he was in power, or was it journalists who'd been tipped the wink by the PM and were pursuing a right-wing anti-union/anti-immigration agenda?. Howard was often accused by his critics of engaging in of 'dog-whistle politics,' of making statements which were in themselves not contentious, but if you could read the sub-text of what he was saying it was clear what his goals were. I wasn't living in Oz during his time in power, but mates whose politics lean to the left talk about it as a time when Howard used the media to amp up popular nationalism and with it a sense that Australia's international importance had grown, as had the threats it faced. Particularly after the Bali Bombing. It's a bit of a stretch to accuse Howard or the australian media for the events at Cronulla in 2005 (although I think some radio Shock-Jock was accused of inciting tensions on the day), but if politicians use the media to both inflate nationalism and amp up people's fears of 'outsiders' then the results are likely to be ugly.

Going back to the O.P., then maybe what Nzogbia is picking up on is a continuation of some of these themes - Australia's economic strength giving it the confidence to flex it's muscles internationally and giving it's old imperialist master a bloody nose in the bargain. Who better to do that than the media?

Oh, and I hate the royals too. Vive La Republic!

Guest Guest37175
don't go!!

why do the good ones always leave us hapless losers to the mercy of the kangaroo courtiers??

I love that expression mate. Bloody poetry.

Guest Guest37175
Sorry but ive have to agree with the useless left winger(Nzogbia).

Hes right Australian media are the most positive in the world so long as their talking about 'Australia'. Everything else if its not Aussie is simply rubbish and not as good as "this place". Massive chip on their shoulder about everything British really. Royal family etc. Im afraid Pome bashing although sad is just in their culture.

Dont compare the British tabloids with these lot. The british media dont really care who they are attacking it could be anyone. They dont play any favourites even their own people. However out here they are obsessed with putting one over the English at all costs. It stems from the UK building their country and being the father figure.

:policeman:The convicts were sent here 200 years ago, move on boys youve all done very well for yourselves, nice weather,beaches etc. let it go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

True that. Also, the British media don't really seem to have any interest in Australia, save for the occasional "Ooh it must be lovely living with all that sunshine and sporting success" type patronage. It scarcely gets a mention otherwise.

Guest Guest37175
Who said you didn't :eek:my responce was in a post that said the English have no pride.[/QUOTE]

What he said.

Guest chris955

Yes that is certainly what I found when there last year and previously. It is what makes the preoccupation the Aussie media have with Britain even more bizarre.

True that. Also, the British media don't really seem to have any interest in Australia, save for the occasional "Ooh it must be lovely living with all that sunshine and sporting success" type patronage. It scarcely gets a mention otherwise.

Guest Guest31881
Yes that is certainly what I found when there last year and previously. It is what makes the preoccupation the Aussie media have with Britain even more bizarre.

I think the same can be said for a lot of commomwealth and ex commonwealth countries, I was in Canada 2 years ago and they were fascinated by what went on in the UK. I must admit it did find it strange to see British football results and what appeared to be British news being so eagerly watched. When i knew very little about what went on in Canada

Guest guest30038
I think the same can be said for a lot of commomwealth and ex commonwealth countries, I was in Canada 2 years ago and they were fascinated by what went on in the UK. I must admit it did find it strange to see British football results and what appeared to be British news being so eagerly watched. When i knew very little about what went on in Canada

Jeeeez Colin, you made me feel old :cry:

I remember abck in the UK, when i was younger, doing littlewoods pools when the Brit season had finished. they were all the Australian soccer teams..................if I couldn't pronounce the name, I marked it with a draw....................cost me a bomb it did! :biglaugh:

I suppose the lotto saw Littlewoods off? vernons was the other one I used to do............it was cheaper a line if I remeber?

Yeah, thanks Pabs - I studied French history, so was actually thanking you for the apt reference in so far as the Aussie press would present our own mob in this light.

Just to make clear. I am a Geordie. My grandfather was a boilermaker in the docks and my other grandad worked on the railways. I was told at a very early age that I should assume that I am no better or no worse than anyone else. I believe this to be a very, very important maxim.

What I think the Aussie press should realise is that many people in the UK are TIRED. They have endured and are enduring a deep, long lasting recession. The royal wedding is fluff and pageantry and it is an escape very temporarily from the usual shoite. It does NOT mean that British people wish habitually to doff the cap to the chinless wonders. Quite frankly, it could be Shrek the wedding and people would look forward to the spectacle. It doesn't mean they want to genuflect to those who are waltzing up the aisle.

Two asides: 1) Don't want to open the entire republican question to debate, but do people actually understand that a constitutional monarchy provides the electorate witha get out of jail free card? Let's just say the incumbent pollies turned a bit nasty and put tanks on the street. All the public would need do is come out in force and petition the Windsors to dissolve parliament. Otherwise, generally, the Royals are a Disney sideshow and for tourist purposes only.

2) Has anyone read the Age Opinion today? Paranoid am I? Really?

Why has the Age not ran, ever, an excoraiting editorial on the Danish Royal family and Mary Donaldson? Someone please answer me that?

Ok, now I really will shut up.

Actually no, hold on.......since I am accused of not supporting my statements...

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/manufacturing-majesty-to-camouflage-the-everyday-20110423-1ds4o.html

Ah, but there will be a special pull out section next week though won't there.

Hypocrites and student union warriors to boot. Thanks for the political education fairfax. Undeserving of wiping your arse on.

Let me know someone when you find anything positive in the Age about the UK.

Guest guest36762
Actually no, hold on.......since I am accused of not supporting my statements...

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/manufacturing-majesty-to-camouflage-the-everyday-20110423-1ds4o.html

Ah, but there will be a special pull out section next week though won't there.

Hypocrites and student union warriors to boot. Thanks for the political education fairfax. Undeserving of wiping your arse on.

Let me know someone when you find anything positive in the Age about the UK.

I agree that piece is written in a contemptuous style, but TBH, who cares?

Don't read the papers. If you need to read papers, read the online versions of your UK favourites.

Yeah, thanks Pabs - I studied French history, so was actually thanking you for the apt reference in so far as the Aussie press would present our own mob in this light.

Just to make clear. I am a Geordie. My grandfather was a boilermaker in the docks and my other grandad worked on the railways. I was told at a very early age that I should assume that I am no better or no worse than anyone else. I believe this to be a very, very important maxim.

What I think the Aussie press should realise is that many people in the UK are TIRED. They have endured and are enduring a deep, long lasting recession. The royal wedding is fluff and pageantry and it is an escape very temporarily from the usual shoite. It does NOT mean that British people wish habitually to doff the cap to the chinless wonders. Quite frankly, it could be Shrek the wedding and people would look forward to the spectacle. It doesn't mean they want to genuflect to those who are waltzing up the aisle.

Two asides: 1) Don't want to open the entire republican question to debate, but do people actually understand that a constitutional monarchy provides the electorate witha get out of jail free card? Let's just say the incumbent pollies turned a bit nasty and put tanks on the street. All the public would need do is come out in force and petition the Windsors to dissolve parliament. Otherwise, generally, the Royals are a Disney sideshow and for tourist purposes only.

2) Has anyone read the Age Opinion today? Paranoid am I? Really?

Why has the Age not ran, ever, an excoraiting editorial on the Danish Royal family and Mary Donaldson? Someone please answer me that?

Ok, now I really will shut up.

Is that you being bitchy/sarky to me zog???:wideeyed:here have these:wubclub:,happy easter:wink:and try not to take too much notice of the press eh?here yer go:hug:

So, entirely true to form, the Royal wedding looms large and the ever reliably spiteful Australian press have weighed in with their filthy hob nailed boots. Now let me get a few things straight..... I am no lover of inherited privilege, or of a society based on class strata and I find the notion of the divine right of kings absurd......however.....

A constitional monarchy has proven over time to have many advantages and it tends to foster very stable, democratic nations. The Fairfax media group would appear to disagree with this notion (or wilfully wish to ignore it). Not content with spitting Republican blood at any and all links with the mother country it has now taken to sniping and sneering at the very core of British history and its customs. What the Age does not understand is that the monarchy, whether it dies out or not (and personally i have republican leanings and so hope it does), has left an indelible mark on the history and customs of the United kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. We can not erase our past, we cannot pretend what we are not (though the Australian press make a damned fine attempt, regularly) and we cannot re-write history.

As a fairly new Australian citizen (dualled with GB) I should like to say the following to Fairfax and Newscorp. By all means pursue your Republican agendas and unshackle yourself from the historical ties that bind. Party on in your entirely undeserved mining boom. Feel free to rejoice at your mother country's relative decline. Continue to throw yourself like a desperate syphillitic whore at the clay feet of a bankrupted state which executes its own citizens, has one of the biggest divides between rich and poor in the developed world and which allows its citizens to arm themselves. Meanwhile, ask no questions of the tryrannical injustices which perpetuate in your second largest trading partner (oh yes, the PRC is an honourable institution which cares deeply about its countrymen and their human rights. Handy that they buy a lot of rocks too).

Yes, continue to do all of that. What's really important though is that you continue to highlight the wicked inequity of monarchy. Unless of course, it's a Tassie girl and she's marrying into the Danish Royal family. In which case, it's different - isn't it mate. Then, it's a fairytale.

Boils my pesh - in case you hadn't noticed.

Did anyone else read the 3 articles In the Age which referenced the British monarchy today? Does no one else pick up on the rabid anti British sentiment? Do they EVER write anything positive about the UK (and I mean - EVER??). I really wish Australian people of British descent would put an end to this. If we were Italian or Greek or Lebanese it would never be allowed.

Grrrrrr......

Iam sure the news wont make its way hear .

The only time we here about Oz , is if The Ashes are looming or there is a shark attack somewhere :biglaugh:

Yeah and your are AUSTRALIAN back in AUSTRALIA .....SO GET ON WITH YOUR LIFE

WOW is that the best you've got? This from someone who couldn't handle life down under so ran back with his tail between his legs but still haunts PIO telling everyone how great the UK is :biglaugh:

This thread is garbage, the press her in Australia can write what they like and many of the press do not have a British Heritage. There are many nationalities in this country and that is what makes it Australia and they are entitled to their views. I find a lot in the press I do not agree with or like but hey who am I to be so right. Difference and having the freedom to write is what is at work.

Why not write to the offending journalists their papers and put your point of view to them and stop boring the pants of us.

Yep I am reading some of this but not all.

Democracy means everyone's view is relevant.

Guest peacock

Well, thats what Anzac day is all about, those brave men and women fought for our freedom, so we can say and print what we like with out fear or favour, respect

Who bloody cares about British culture? If you want British culture go back to England. You're living in Australia (key word there AUSTRALIA)

I care about British culture, yes I live in Australia but Im very proud to say Im English ( thats right English )

I also feel the press does have a lot to say about other countries. Yes Australia is very nice, but it also has a lot of faults of its on but lets not talk about that incase it upsets the Aussies.

Archived